Terrapins' Greivis Vasquez wins Cousy Award

UPDATED at 1:50 p.m. with quotes from Vasquez and Coach Gary Williams.

Maryland senior Greivis Vasquez added one more bullet point to his lengthy list of accomplishments Thursday when he won the Bob Cousy Award, given annually by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame to the nation’s top point guard. Vasquez became the first Terrapin and the third ACC player to claim the prize, which is in its seventh year of existence.

"It's just a blessing, man," Vasquez said. "If you were to ask me three years ago, I wouldn't see myself winning this award. But in a way, I would just because of my work ethic and how hard I work every day. I'm just so happy, and I'm thankful, and I still want to keep being a humble guy. And I still want to be hungry and keep working hard because I want to win so many more awards, but at the next level. I have to continue to work hard."

After electing to withdraw his name from the NBA draft last summer, Vasquez returned to College Park for a senior season in which he climbed to No. 2 on Maryland's all-time scoring list.

But according to Cousy, 81, he did not intend for the award to be given to a point guard with a high profile and a score-first mentality. The former Boston Celtics great, who played at Holy Cross from 1946 to 1950, said in a telephone interview in late February that he designed the honor as a nod to old-school point guards who can facilitate just as well as they can put the ball in the basket.

It doesn’t always work out that way, Cousy acknowledged, but in Vasquez, the award’s selection committee found a point guard who evolved over the course of his collegiate career into the type of floor general Cousy would admire.

“I think it comes down, frankly, to a matter of mind-set as to how you perceive your responsibilities,” Cousy said. “To simplify it, when the Hall of Fame came to me and said we want to do this, I said I'd like to look for throwbacks, guys who are identified as point guards, who come over the half-court with the mind-set that first I'm going to look to create something wonderful for one of the other four people, and then if I'm not successful in doing that, then as a last resort I'm going to take the shot myself.”

For Vasquez, who was named the ACC player of the year and an Associated Press second-team all-American, shooting was never a last resort. But during the course of Vasquez’s senior season it became evident he had become more able to discern when he needed to engage his teammates in the flow of Maryland’s offense and when he needed to assert his own ability to score. He averaged 19.6 points and 6.3 assists per game.

"Whether it was passing, rebounding, playing defense or making big shots, Greivis made our team better," Maryland Coach Gary Williams said in a statement. "Greivis did whatever was necessary to help us win games. He was a great leader."

Vasquez beat out finalists Sherron Collins (Kansas), Scottie Reynolds (Villanova), Jon Scheyer (Duke), Evan Turner (Ohio State) and John Wall (Kentucky) to win the award, which is determined by a vote of the Hall of Fame's Blue Ribbon Selection Committee, comprising media members, head coaches, sports information directors and Hall of Famers.

Vasquez joins a list of past Cousy Award winners that includes former North Carolina point guards Ty Lawson (2009) and Raymond Felton (2005). With one exception, every Cousy Award winner was selected in the first round of that year’s NBA draft. Former Illinois guard Dee Brown was picked midway through the second round of the 2006 NBA draft.

Part of the reason Vasquez returned to Maryland for his senior season was to improve his NBA draft stock to the point where he would be considered a lock to be selected in the first round. Some NBA talent evaluators believe that Vasquez made considerable strides in that regard over the past six months.

“He is now what you would call a guy that would be pro-ready,” said Los Angeles Clippers assistant John Lucas, who played at Maryland from 1973 to 1976. “And I look at it from a different perspective. I look at who can come in and help a [NBA] team right away. He has that capability to help a team now, right away. Last year he didn't.”

Lucas said he thinks Vasquez has improved his shot selection and has grown more mature since last summer when the player took part in the NBA draft assessment after his junior season. By becoming a more well-rounded player, Vasquez was able to impress his potential future bosses and add one more distinction – college basketball’s best point guard – to his resume.

“He strikes me as a guy who does a little bit of everything,” Lucas said. “He does everything very well. He is much more of a complete player today, especially on the defensive end. He doesn't get into foul trouble. He just has command of his game. And it's been a delight to watch and see.”

By Steve Yanda  |  April 1, 2010; 12:02 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland men's basketball season recap: Landon Milbourne
Next: Some thoughts from Vasquez on winning the Cousy Award

Comments

Congrats GV! A great year!

Posted by: charles20001 | April 1, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this is a pretty big accomplishment and dare I say, as big if not bigger than ACC Player of the Year.

Congrats Greivis.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 1, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Vasquez is overrated.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 13, 2009 2:20 PM

As Greivis Vasquez plays through this "rut" he might just play us right out of the season...

Posted by: petecard | December 8, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Why are we talking about Vasquez again?

His play has been horrible and he is so self-absorbed it is sickening.

Posted by: petecard | December 3, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

reality is that Vazquez is slow, and far inferior to the rest of the guards in the ACC.

Posted by: knjon353 | June 16, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | April 1, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I could see him dishing the ball around and getting a lot of assists in the NBA.

Posted by: richs91 | April 1, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm interested to see how Vasquez would play in a situation where he doesn't have to be a top 3 scorer for his team.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | April 1, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Greevs!

Posted by: cbmuzik | April 1, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I thought Scheyer should have won this award over Greivas, although I am not hating Greivas's selection. It certainly was close.

Greivas had the edge as a scorer; both are incredibly clutch especially at crunch time. Scheyer took care of the ball much better than Greivas, but, when he was of a mind to, Greivas had the edge as a creator for others.

The pivotal factor, in my mind, was that Greivas, as another poster has already noted, could and did as easily play his team out of games, as win it. He did that too many times to win this award, in my opinion, including in Maryland's loss to Mich St. in the tournament. Scheyer never does that.

Congrats to Greivas; notwithstanding what I've just written, no question in my mind but that he does the award justice.

Posted by: cohenra | April 1, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing your misremembering or maybe your memory isn't all that great to begin with (considering it was only 11 days ago) but Greivis did anything BUT "play us out" of the Michigan State game. The fact is he had 8 assists and just 3 turnovers which were offset by his 3 steals...oh and 26 points on 10 of 20 shooting.

He was the ONLY reason we were in the game in the final moments. So let's not re-write history until at least a little more time passes, ok?

Posted by: Barno1 | April 1, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Greivis!!! This is a great accomplishment. I'm a Terps fan and have had a love/hate relationship with Vasquez over his time at Maryland. But, this year I see how he has developed and matured as a basketball player and person. I applaud him for that and have definitely come to appreciate his passion for the game.

Posted by: JB44 | April 1, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Cousy knew exactly who he was, and how good Vasquez is. That's a great award, because in my mind, it's basically a ballhandling award. Because that's what Bob Cousy did -- behind the back and through the legs was his idea first. At least in the pros.

I think that's what he means more than simply trying to always set your teammates up, it's having the imagination to set them up and the ability to execute that really counts.

But on him not showing up - he's always been bitter. A good 35 years of it.

Posted by: Brue | April 1, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Only player in the nation to average 18 points and 6 assists a game. No-brainer!

Posted by: saqster | April 1, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

He's holding the team back. I hate his arrogance. I wish he left the team we'd be so much better without him .

Love how stubborn and pathetic all these people were. What astonished me most was how we clearly had one of the best players in the nation and there were many people who believed this crap up to the very end - probably just because they didn't like his personality. Hell some of them probably still exist. Vasquez is my favorite player of all time and I will miss him like crazy next year.

Posted by: elowe2 | April 2, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Congrats Greivis! Well deserved, against stiff competition. You made the right choice coming back for your senior year and it is now paying dividends. Go Terps!

Posted by: steven09 | April 2, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse