Dave Cottle resigns as Maryland men's lacrosse coach

University of Maryland men’s lacrosse coach Dave Cottle resigned on Sunday after nine seasons at the school, Athletic Director Debbie Yow said in a statement released to the Washington Post and Baltimore Sun on Sunday.

Maryland finished the year 12-4 following a 7-5 loss to Notre Dame in the NCAA quarterfinals on Saturday.

“I have decided to step aside as the head coach at the University of Maryland,” said Cottle. “First of all, I would like to thank Dr. Mote and Dr. Yow for the opportunity to coach at the University of Maryland and in the Atlantic Coast Conference. I have enjoyed my nine years at Maryland, where we made eight NCAA tournament appearances, three Final Fours and won two ACC championships. This past year I enjoyed coaching this team as much as any team I have ever been around. I have developed tremendous relationships with many Terp alumni, former coaches and have had some of the finest parents any lacrosse program has had.

“I am extremely lucky to have coached all of my players at Maryland and would particularly like to thank the 2010 team for how hard they worked for our coaching staff. I would like to thank all of my former coaches and staff who have worked with me at Maryland, especially this year’s staff — Ryan Moran, Jon Stainbrook and Dave Slafkosky, who has been with me all nine years. We taught our players lacrosse, but also tried to teach them more than just being good lacrosse players. We also taught them the importance of being good students and people.

“Whoever the next coach at Maryland is he will be a very lucky man, because these student-athletes are great players and great people, who will compete every day and have a desire to win. I will always root for the Terps and the saddest part of my decision is not being in the locker room and on the field with this group who I care so much about."

During the past nine seasons, Maryland compiled a record of 99-45 (.688). The 99 victories are the sixth most of any Division I men’s lacrosse program during that time period. Cottle guided the Terrapin to the NCAA tournament in each of the past eight seasons, including Final Four appearances in 2003, 2005 and 2006. Coming into this season, 22 players under Cottle’s tutelage at Maryland have earned a total of 41 all-American honors. He led Maryland to ACC championships in 2004 and 2005. He was twice named the ACC coach of the year. and placed 19 Terrapins for a total of 29 All-ACC honorees. Maryland finished the 2010 season with a 12-4 record and advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament.

Prior to arriving at Maryland, Cottle spent 19 seasons as the head coach at Loyola. There, he led the Greyhounds to 14 straight NCAA tournament appearances.
He is 280-115 in 28 seasons as a head coach.

Cottle was the eighth coach in the history of Maryland lacrosse, taking over in September 2001 from Dick Edell, who retired after 18 seasons with the Terps.

A national search for a new head coach will begin immediately.

By Christian Swezey  |  May 23, 2010; 5:32 PM ET
Categories:  Men's lacrosse
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A few leftovers from visit with former Terps assistant Chuck Driesell
Next: Pressler, Gait, Corrigan are lead candidates for Maryland men's lacrosse opening

Comments

Any reason why?

Posted by: terpin | May 23, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

My guess...Not living up to expectations and he didn't have a contract for next year. Easier to publicly resign than have DY issue a statement that his contract would not be renewed or extended.

Posted by: TerpGrad | May 23, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't just that he had stopped reaching the Final 4, but he was losing , or almost losing, to inferior teams, in the tournament. The performance against Hofstra last week and Notre Dame this week was dreadful. If you believe the 'blogs', everyone associated with the LX program knew his job was on the line and they still came out flat against ND yesterday.

Posted by: erniegogo | May 23, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

This year cottle had the "horses" to win the ncaa championship however he did not prepare well for inferior teams... That is a coaches job...i wish him well but it was time!!!

Now "on the clock" Coach Freidgen.... 3 months and counting...Navy on National TV

Posted by: carolina1 | May 24, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Good, he was a major disappointment especially with this year's team. No excuse 4 not goin to the final 4 or even championship game. He had the asiest path possibble and blew it big time. Thank God for the change.
s

Posted by: jack51 | May 24, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Good, he was a major disappointment especially with this year's team. No excuse 4 not goin to the final 4 or even championship game. He had the easiest path possible and blew it big time. Thank God for the change.
s

Posted by: jack51 | May 24, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like he was forced out to me since we have gotten worse under his watch

Posted by: cmich06 | May 24, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Correct the mistake and hire Gait.

Posted by: Realness1 | May 24, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

So, this guy was obviously a great coach, but resigns. The football team goes 2-10 last year, but the coach stays. Ahhh the mysteries of life.

Posted by: SirPelleas | May 24, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Actually, though I have argued in defense of GW regarding the nature of the top-tier programs vs. MD when it comes to BB, in my mind, there is no doubt that MD should be one of the premier programs in BOTH mens and women's lacrosse. No excuses - especially when more southern ACC schools such as Duke and UVA have catapulted themselves to among the nation's elite. MD should be with Hopkins, Syracuse, perhaps Princeton and very few others in the highest echelon of Mens' lax. we used to make the finals and lose with regularity and now our team is not even doing that. Hope Yow throws some of that incremental $$ from the ESPN deal at better men's lax coaches and recruiters (but more importantly at GW's assistants and recruiters). This loss was disappointing and clearly our team was not prepared for the game effectively. Good riddance. Just posting winning records is not enough for lax.

That may have been my most negative post ever.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | May 24, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

carolina1 -

In terms of the fridge - what does he need to do to preserve his position in your book? 4-8 (a 100% increase in number of wins and winning %) would not cut it for me. 6-6 and a bowl win for 7-6? 7-5 with a bowl win to 8-5?

Still stymied by the collapse last year. Will the o-line replenishment take effect? Will chris turner be missed or surpassed? Every thing that could go wrong last year seemed to. And purely as an indictment of the coach - penalties have increase in recent seasons (as have turnovers). Ralph gave us some great seasons, no doubt - but what will it take to get fans reinvigorated for the team's prospects?

Regards -