Maryland in discussions to play Texas in football

Maryland and Texas are in discussions to play each other in football in a home-and-home series in coming seasons, according to Maryland interim athletic director Randy Eaton. Eaton said no agreement has been made, and a Texas source familiar with the negotiations said that Maryland is one of several schools with whom the Longhorns are in talks about future non-league games.

Multiple reports are claiming that Maryland and Texas have agreed to play each other, first at FedEx Field in 2014 and then in either Austin or Dallas in 2015. Eaton denied that such a deal is in place and said that the discussions between the two schools about a potential future matchup do not involve either of those two seasons.

Maryland already has agreed to play Notre Dame at FedEx Field on Nov. 12, 2011. Penn State will take on Indiana at FedEx Field on Nov. 20, 2010, and Virginia Tech will play Boise State on Sept. 6, 2010.

In August 2009, Redskins Chief Operating Officer Mitch Gershman said was working to attract "larger matchups" to FedEx Field, the home of Washington's NFL franchise. The Redskins are in discussions with several "high-profile" college teams about playing at FedEx Field in the next three to five years, Gershman said then. Attempts to gain comment from Gershman on Wednesday were not immediately successful.

By Steve Yanda  |  July 14, 2010; 11:15 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: ACC, ESPN agree to new television contract
Next: Randy Eaton to be candidate for permanent Maryland athletic director position

Comments

wow, big time. would be great for the program, bad for their record, though.

Posted by: marylandmymaryland | July 14, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oknow1 | July 14, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know the way to more prominate footbal recognition and better recruits is to get absolutely decimated and humiliated on national tv.

All Mack Brown wants to do is get revenge against ACC teams that beat him while he coached at North Carolina.

Posted by: ScottChallenger | July 14, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Take this from a born and raised Terp fan, now residing in Austin Texas with Longhorn fans to the left and right of me. The terps will not have to do too much to get ready for these upcoming matches with UT. If anythi8ng, they are on a more even playing field. Recruiting here (in Texas) has been lax lately, with a number of key recruits choosing schools like OU to go to because of that program over UT's. UT is going to have a number of issues at both the quarterback and receiver positions for a number of years. UT has coaching issues too. Brown was lucky to have kids like Ricky, Vince and in some ways Colt, but I think those days are over and we will see just what coaching ability he has. All I'm saying is that I know that the Turtle has some issues to resolve, but they shouldnt, nor should the fans be worried about UT. (at this point)

Posted by: mr_abryant | July 14, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Win or lose, these are the kind of games that Maryland needs to try to schedule. ACC teams are stepping up their schedule over the next few years, and the ND game next year along with one or two strong BCS non-conference games every year are essential to keep the program relevant. Maryland needs to look at the attraction, not just be looking for wins.

Posted by: Russtinator | July 14, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

mr_abryant:

Sorry, but you make a comment that immediately tarnishes your credibility. "Recruiting has been lax lately"? Wow, stunning lack of awareness on so many fronts. We lose recruits to Oklahoma? Sure we do, but only the ones that we usually haven't prioritized. In the last two years where did Oklahoma's top ranked players choose to attend school? Texas. Finally, this is for 2014/2015 seasons....Texas already has already secured the top 2011 recuiting class in the nation (read any sports web site you care, they all say the same). This top ranked recruiting class in the country is the one that will be playing MD in 2014/2015. UT has coaching issues? Laughable. I'm only commenting on the Longhorns as I do not know anything about the Terps. I wish you well in the seasons ahead, and that we have good games come 2014/2015.

Posted by: lcfa | July 14, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Early line is Texas -60

Posted by: jpfterps | July 14, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

We'd have a better chance playing them in cheer leading....

Posted by: petecard | July 14, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

mr_abryant comments are typical for recruiting in a football hot bed. UT did not get a couple of key names compared to OK, and it's a down year. I lived in SEC country for a while and i noticed the same thing with those schools. The big difference is that the kid UT signed in lieu of the other kid at OK is all bigger and better than the average guy at MD. The same will apply for virtually every position too.

MD might have a Randy White, Vernon Davis or Boomer Esiason every decade or so.

Posted by: oknow1 | July 14, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I do that the Terps would stop negotiating to play at Fed Ex. I'm a season ticket holder, and don't want Dan Snyder getting my money. I'd much rather play these type of games at M&T in Baltimore even though it's further away for me. It's bad enough Mr. Snyder will be getting some of my money next season for the ND game. I was hoping that was a 1-time deal, but I guess not.

Could someone please explain why PSU/IU is being held at Fed Ex? Not only could more people see these teams play in happy valley, but how many people are really going to show up for this game?

Posted by: Russtinator | July 14, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I find it funny that Texas is willing to Maryland a one-for-one in football but State Penn refuses to.

Posted by: CapsNut | July 14, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I guess now Maryland Football is regarded as a cupcake game on some power houses Schedule in the coming years.. think about it, you are playing a bad team in a highly regarded conference..... it helps their BCS rating.

Posted by: rvanags | July 14, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

oh my god this is going to be a slaughter

Posted by: j762 | July 14, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Jeez when I saw the headline I was praying it was women's field hockey -- anything but football.

Posted by: nativedc | July 14, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Russtinator:

I understand your consternation. I had no idea that PSU/ISU was going to be played at FedEx field...seems a stretch, but obviously it must have been about dollars...whatever broadcast and other fee formula they used.

I'm a Longhorn, and I feel the same way about the use of Jerry Jones stadium. At least that stadium is in the Texas market, brings broadcast audience and crowds, but somehow even as a Longhorn I don't feel good about it. And I can honestly understand how it would piss off our other Big 12 (10) brethren. Once again, it's about the dollars....I'm torn as I know the dollars will benefit the universities in several ways, but the fact that it's so commercially driven makes me uncomfortable.

I do hope the contract is signed between the Longhorns and the Terps (by the way, what is a Terp?). I read the Terp comments about it being an unbalanced game, and I'm sorry if it ends up being the case, as I always prefer a good game ...but, yes, of course I hope Texas wins.

If it might matter just a smidgeon, I was born in Maryland. Though I didn't grow up there, how can I not have affection for the state where I was born? But I trust you;ll also understand that my heart is with Texas where I went to school.

Like I said before, I hope you have some good seasons ahead, and look forward to 2014, and especially hosting the Terps in our lovely city of Austin in 2015. Come to the game! You'll have a fun time, it's impossible not to have fun in Austin....and aside from the occasional football lunatic (we all have them), 99% of Texas fans are nice and fun folks, and will welcome you to town.

Posted by: lcfa | July 15, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Poor Ralph. I guess Maryland School for the Blind was busy.

Posted by: MARKHAGNER | July 15, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

As a Virginia fan living in Houston, this is GREAT news! It means I'll only have to drive a couple of hours to cheer wildly against the Turtle they keep telling me to fear! Watching Maryland lose is ALMOST as good as watching Carolina lose.

Posted by: kemp13 | July 15, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

"Better get a coach in there in time to get some recruits capable of competing against UT-Austin. This won't be the typical Fridge loss to Northern Illinois or Middle Tenn St where's it's just an ugly 23-16 loss. This will be like the Cal stomping they had last year 52-13."

Posted by: oknow1 | July 14, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

It will be far worse....Maryland in three previous games with Texas has neither beaten or scored on the Longhorns...I agree we need a coach to deal with this quick...

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | July 15, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Russtinator | July 14, 2010 3:50 PM

Happy Valley is out of the equation because that is a home game for Indiana, which the university decided to move to FedEx for cash. Simple fact is that they can make more money at FedEx because it will be easier to fill with Penn State fans than their stadium in Bloomington. I'm sure the Big Ten would forbid them from selling the game to Penn State - need to play the same amount of conference home and road games.

I think the larger, and more worrying point is that this area is becoming accustomed to hosting lucrative events aimed at raking in out of town fan cash. The Terps are now bringing in two opponents who's fans will fill about 80% of FedEx. Even Indiana knows the pull of non-DMV teams in suburban DC! I guess owners and school presidents have noticed FedEx filled with Eagles fans and Nats Park teeming with Phillies, Red Sox and Cubs fans and know where they can profit - on the other team.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 15, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Being a MD Alum I'm in their corner but, Texas? Good exposure, tough game. It'll make them tougher that's for sure. GO TERPS!

Posted by: carterm1 | July 15, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

To add to Kev29's comments about it actually being an IU home game. There is also a ton of PSU alumni in the area and it's just a 4 hour drive from Happy Valley. It will be a sellout and IU will probably make more money than if it was in Bloomington.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 15, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Oh yes, yes, yes, yes, YES! *PLEASE* let this happen! As a Maryland grad ('98) who subsequently went to UT for graduate school, this would be a dream come true. Though I departed Austin several years ago, I would have to find a way to make it back there in the fall of 2015 for this (even though it's probably about a 75% change it'll be a Terps stomping at the hands, er, hooves, of the 'Horns).

The only thing better would be if they manage to also arrange a basketball home-and-home against the Longhorns. Actually, why hasn't that happened? Rick Barnes will famously play anyone home-and-home (or neutral site), and he was an assistant for GW back in the day. (No idea if they have any sort of ongoing relationship, though.)

As for the football, I always say aim high - better to lose big to the likes of Texas and Notre Dame than squeak out victories over the likes of Temple and Northern Illinois...

Go Terps!

Posted by: JtotheG | July 15, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Rick Barnes will famously play anyone home-and-home (or neutral site)

Posted by: JtotheG | July 15, 2010 11:48 AM

And Gary will famously NOT play any interesting home and home series.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 15, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29: I was going to say something to contradict you but, while I won't go so far as to say that Gary "won't" play any interesting home-and-homes, it does certainly appear that the scheduling philosophy has changed. It used to be (back in the 90's, early 00's) that there would usually be one out-of-conference game per season done as a home and home - ones I can remember off the top of my head include Missouri, UMass, Florida and Oklahoma (I was at both of the last, in College Park spring of 98, and Norman in late 00, one of only 4 losses in the championship season).

It seems to me that in recent years, between ACC-Big 10, the BB&T game, and whatever early season tournament the Terps land in (Coaches v. Cancer, Maui, etc.), they've dropped the independent home-and-homes in favor of the cupcakes. Which is really a shame, although I suspect that we're not the only ones who have fallen into that pattern.

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the last true out of conference home-and-home was Temple, 2004-05 and 2005-06.

Posted by: JtotheG | July 15, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JtotheG | July 15, 2010 2:22 PM

I wish I was being sarcastic, but I looked back at the schedules too. I guess you could count Charlotte as a semi-interesting home and home a couple years ago, but that's hardly a top level one.

Gary has come into the modern game a bit by bringing in an AAU recruiting coach (Ranson), maybe he'll step up the non-con scheduling. And I don't even mean to criticize him for SOS reasons, the home schedule pre-ACC is just BORING.

Look at other ACC home and homes - Duke plays Georgetown, Wake Forest has a 10 year contract with Xavier, Carolina plays Kentucky, FSU plays Florida, etc...

Posted by: Kev29 | July 15, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | July 15, 2010 9:44 AM |

Sadly Kev, this also applies to the Redskins who have hosted a Pittsburgh home game relatively recently.

Agree with other posters that this would be a good thing for MD football overall - even if is a shell whipping for the Terps. also agree that M&T would be a better site albeit smaller - better stadium and game day experience.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | July 15, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | July 15, 2010 9:44 AM |

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | July 15, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. Terps will get crushed if recruiting and choaching do not significantly improve.

Currently ranked below 90th on rivals.com.

Not optimistic.

Posted by: SirPelleas | July 16, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I fail to see how Maryland losing by 40+ points on national tv will help the program ... but ok!

Posted by: bmillison | July 20, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse