Randy Eaton to be candidate for permanent Maryland athletic director position

Randy Eaton, Maryland's chief financial officer and interim athletic director, said in a telephone interview Friday night that he will be considered as a candidate for the school's permanent A.D. position.

Eaton was informed Monday by Linda Clement, the chair of the search committee charged with seeking out candidates for the post, that he had been nominated for the full-time gig by multiple people, and Eaton said he has decided "to let the nomination process play out."

"I’m not going to say no," said Eaton, who was named Maryland's interim athletic director on June 28. "I don’t even know if I could withdraw a nomination. But if I were to be called, I would go through the process."

Eaton said he did not know who nominated him, nor did he know what the next step in the process will be. When he asked Clement on Monday whether he needed to submit a formal application at this time if he were interested in the job, Clement said no.

Maryland formed a 17-member search committee June 29 to begin the process of finding Debbie Yow's successor. Yow, who served as Maryland's athletic director for 16 years, left the school June 25 to take the same position at N.C. State. The committee held its first meeting Thursday.

"I don’t know how this is playing out," Eaton said. "I don’t know what the process is for the search committee. I think I’ve stated before, I’m not involved at all [in the search committee], and at this point I shouldn’t be since I’ve been nominated."

By Steve Yanda  |  July 16, 2010; 8:08 PM ET
Categories:  Football , Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland in discussions to play Texas in football
Next: Former Terps DL Dean Muhtadi working hard to make NFL roster

Comments

Any comments on Eaton...I do not know a whole lot about him however is he "put up" with Chairman yow...he must have some good pts...

what other names have folks heard

Posted by: carolina1 | July 17, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I'd still favor Castiglione, if he is interested.

Posted by: steven09 | July 17, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind Castiglione, either, but I have a feeling Hathaway from Connecticut will end up as the AD. Castiglione would bring too much of a football-first mindset for some in College Park, even though Oklahoma's men's and women's basketball programs have thrived under his watch -- and even though Maryland needs to drastically improve its football to maintain a healthy athletic program. (The best way to do that, of course, would be to join the Big Ten, since the ACC has next to no football allure, but that will be for the Big Ten to decide.)

Posted by: VPaterno | July 17, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Actually, VPaterno, it seems it is for Maryland to decide. As you know, the Big Ten has approached us in the past, as the DC area is an attractive expansion market for them, and we have declined any potential invitation so far.

Posted by: steven09 | July 17, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

And....for the record, while Maryland may not be in the upper echelon of football powers most years, the fans at Miami, FSU, Clemson and VT might disagree that the ACC has "next to no football allure."

Plus, the ACC is without a doubt the best major athletic conference academically. Just check out U.S. News and World Report's rankings. It's pretty clear.

Posted by: steven09 | July 17, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse