Friedgen: We were 'sloppy as hell'

Nobody is going to call Monday night’s scrimmage an instant classic. Fatigue, a lack of focus and concentration – whatever the reason, Maryland was sloppy, very sloppy, in its final full scrimmage before the Sept. 6 season-opener against Navy.

“Sloppy as hell,” Coach Ralph Friedgen said.

“It just kills you,” he later added. “We did it all last year. I’ll take care of all the guys tomorrow. They will understand what a penalty is, trust me.”

A slew of penalties nullified many of the big plays the offense produced. The penalties also disrupted the continuity of the scrimmage. Starting quarterback Jamarr Robinson completed 9 of 14 passes for 102 yards. But he also threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown by cornerback Dexter McDougle.

Running back Da’Rel Scott had 73 yards on 10 carries. D.J. Adams had 40 yards on 12 carries.

Another problem: kicker Nick Ferrara is still struggling. And Friedgen is concerned.

And if that was not bad enough, Friedgen said Monday morning’s one-hour practice was just terrible.

Hope your workweek got off to a better start.

By Eric Prisbell  |  August 24, 2010; 8:39 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A look ahead at Maryland's final scrimmage
Next: TE Campbell out 2-4 weeks with MCL strain

Comments

Well, the Fridge is the expert on "sloppy."

Posted by: nativedc | August 24, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

they always say that a team takes on the personality of its coach.....

Posted by: Durham2 | August 24, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Telling the media will not do anything, Coach! Go fix the problem! These are your recruits! If you cannot do this, then retire now! Does anyone really believe we are going to actually have a winning season this year? I don't think so!

Posted by: ejharrisjr42 | August 24, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I think one thing that Fridge needs to do is bring back a few guys who went to the Orange Bowl to speak with the team about how hard they had to work to get there after not going to a bowl game for 18 years or so. A lot of these guys have not seen success but to speak with someone who experienced it sometimes can rub off.

Have a guy like EJ Henderson come back would be great because he's even seen success in the NFL and graduated early and was in the process of getting his Master's. and having Julian Gary come back on the offensive side would be good. Both of those guys were there for good and the bad.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | August 24, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Diehard Terp, Fridge has former players come in to talk to the players and be around the team literally all the time. I'm sure most college teams do.

As for this comment: "Does anyone really believe we are going to actually have a winning season this year? I don't think so!" Why not? We have an much more experienced O-line than we had going into last year and we have a ton of weapons on offense including the best running back/wide receiver tandem in the ACC--and one of the best in the country--in Da'Rel Scott and Torrey Smith.

Looking forward to the Navy game.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 24, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Barno1, I agree with your comments..Navy is a key game...if we get blown out we are in big trouble..A victory could lead to beating west va and being 5-0 going to death valley...

Fridge just needs to go quietly..he has lost the trust and confidence of the team most fans and the media...

Barno1, i promise i will be nice this year..

In all honesty i am a terp graduated in 75..played baseball for the terps..am a coaches club member of the terrapin club AND hAVE A NEW NEIGHBOR...3 BLOCKS AWAY RESIDES YOW

Posted by: carolina1 | August 24, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Well if Fridge is doing that, the results have not been that great. And bringing back just any old guys isn't the answer. I know EJ is in training camp and preparing for the NFL after recovering from a major surgery last season, but bringing back more of the key guys to that 2001 Orange Bowl Team like a Bruce Perry, Julian Gary, Leon Joe, etc. They were the leaders on that team and the guys that made that team successful. I know Scott McBrien is available considering he's always on the post game.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | August 25, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

And if our team is not retaining and executing the advice and guidance that these former players are giving them, that's a whole new issue and then their commitment really comes into question.

There's no reason to sugar coat anything after last season. I'm not saying take the Jim Zorn approach but there needs to be some kind of accountability and from what you said or know or speculate, it doesn't sound good.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | August 25, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I disagree that Coach doesn't "have" the team, or the sentiment to that effect that some posters have expressed. I think part of the team's problem, and probably a large part, is getting quality recruits. Maryland has some pretty good players - Scott and Smith and Wujciak to name a few - but how many guys on this roster would start at Texas, or Alabama, or even FSU? Probably not many. While some of that is due to the program's lack of a "winning history" to attract recruits, I think a large part of it is due to the inability to watch Terps football games in the State of Maryland.

I'll give you a perfect example: I used to live on the Eastern Shore, near Salisbury. Instead of Terps FB games on Comcast, we would get Villanova, or UVA, or even UNC. But never the Terps. Now I live in Havre de Grace, MD, at the north end of the Bay, and instead of getting the Terps FB games, I get UVA, or Old Dominion, or UNC (or sometimes even VT) on Comcast. For crying out loud, I live in MARYLAND! Why am I getting games for schools that are a.) further away, and b.) not even in MY STATE! The only "first run" Terps FB games I get are the nationally televised ones. Comcast is supposed to be the official TV partner of Maryland FB - why not show the games once in a while???

Another recruiting problem has to do with the perception of UMD in the Baltimore media. Baltimore media-types tend to characterize Maryland as a "DC" school and not a Maryland one (cue the "irony" music), and go out of their way to downplay or discard any Terps coverage on their local broadcasts. I work for a MD state agency that is located in Baltimore; when the Terps Men's BB team was in the NCAA tourney in 2009, I suggested to our agency that we have a "Red Friday" to support the Terps, similar to the "Purple Friday" we have every Friday of the football season to support the Ravens. They answer I received was a quick "No"; when I pressed for a reason, and pointed out that Maryland IS the state's flagship university and we are a state agency, I was told that "Maryland is not a Baltimore school, its a DC one." I guess I must be mistaken in thinking that Baltimore is IN the state of Maryland, as is the UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND. This came from a STATE OFFICIAL! Its absurd that Morgan State, Towson and UMBC get more sports coverage during the FB and BB seasons than UMD does, especially when the Terps are in the national tourney and the other three are at home.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 25, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

O ye of little faith! The Terps are set to bounce back this year. We lost five games last year by a touchdown or less. You add a little bit of experience and we win those games.
As for the lack of Terps on TV, I think that is a result of ESPN having rights to the games and wanting people to watch on the internet on ESPN3.com. In the past, those Raycom games were televised but it seems like ESPN is making a concerted effort to get people to watch on their website. Prisbell wrote a story about it last year. Why they are doing this, I have no idea.

Posted by: aviscardo | August 25, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Aviscardo: I hear what you're saying about ESPN having the rights, but I'm not just talking about recently. Even when Raycom/Jefferson had the broadcast rights, we still never got the games unless they were nationally televised.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 25, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you RCBJr. When I pick up the Washington Post sports page, I am shocked on the rare occasion that there is an article on Maryland football. In the past couple of weeks, there have been far more stories on Va. Tech, UVA and Navy for godsakes. I can understand why it's hard for UMD to recruit in the State of Maryland - it's nearly impossible to find the team on t.v. or in the media.

Posted by: JusticeJJG | August 25, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@ JusticeJJG: In the Post, I can almost excuse it. Certainly I don't think the Post's sports page should be solely dedicated to the Terps, and other DC-area schools should be featured. But in "Maryland" media - meaning media outlets based IN Maryland - there is absolutely NO excuse for not covering the Terps. I mean, even the Garrett County media outlets cover the Terps, and they're part of the Pittsburgh DMA (media market)! And yet, somehow, living in the Baltimore area, I can't even get Terps coverage on TV.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 25, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Carolina1, I like the truce offering. Now if only we could get Poopy to stop being so weird.

Navy game is huge. But even if we lose, the season aint over. 02, 03, 06 and even 08 we started off terribly and yet still managed to be in contention for the ACC title well into November. That said, we really need to beat Navy for recruiting purposes--especially since the game is on national tv.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 25, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I agree, the Navy game is huge. For the reasons you just mentioned, but also for this: Maryland should not be in a position to have to prove it is the premiere Div. I-A football program in this state...and yet, because of they way it has played of late, they have to do exactly that. Look at it this way: if you were, say, Colorado or Colorado State and had been playing like utter crap lately, how would you feel about having to prove you are the "big dog" in your state by beating Air Force? You'd probably be sick to your stomach.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 25, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Look, I'm all for us going undefeated this season and winning the national championship, etc., etc., etc. I mean what fan doesn't want that to happen? (I have season tickets and I never miss a game and was there for every game last season in the rain.) But we all need to be realistic. I'm an alum and I would never turn my back on my university, but at the same time, we need to be realistic and objective in accessing where the program stands and what is happening within the program.

Eric and Steve so an excellent job of this and is why you see positive and not so positive things posted on this blog. It's to inform us of what is happening within the program. And while anyone has the right to post whatever they want because this is why this is here, being realistic and looking at your team from an outsiders perspective will help you better access your team.

Phil Steele has called just about every single one of our seasons to a "T" since Fridge has been here and he calls for us to go about 6-6 but it could go down or up by one win. I think if we go 6-6, that's win, especially after last season.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | August 26, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

After last year, I'd love to go 6-6. Its not like I think they are National Title contenders by any stretch of the imagination, nor do I think they could even contend for the ACC Title this year. But I would like to see a non-losing record. And wins against UVA and Navy.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 26, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse