Friedgen's scouting report on Navy and QB Ricky Dobbs

With more than two weeks of practice left until his team opens the season against Navy, Maryland Coach Ralph Friedgen offered an early scouting report on the Midshipmen this morning. Navy is never an easy team to play against because of the effectiveness of the triple option. But they should be particularly potent offensively this season because of the return of quarterback Ricky Dobbs. The senior set an NCAA record for rushing touchdowns by a quarterback last season. He also is a strong passer.

“Dobbs is pretty good,” Friedgen said. “He makes a lot of long runs. I think he is more quick than fast. I think he is probably a 4.7, 4.6 guy [in the 40-yard dash], but he is very nifty and breaks tackles. I think he is a better thrower than the guy [Josh Nesbitt] at Georgia Tech. You are in the dilemma, you have to commit to the extra guy to stop him and it opens up a lot of things in the throwing game. That’s my concern.”

But what’s the biggest priority for Friedgen’s defense? Stopping the fullback.

“To them, four yards and they are on schedule," he said. "Three yards and they are on schedule because they are going to go for it on fourth down. That’s the problem. What happens is you keep packing it in to stop the three yards and they open it up for a big one.”

But here is the best quote from Friedgen on the challenges involved with playing Navy:

“What happens is people get impatient and they get a bad play and all the sudden they are punting and don’t see the field for another 10 minutes,” Friedgen said. “If they could use the fullback for four yards the whole game, that is what they would do. They would hand the ball off for four yards the whole game and think it was a great game plan. If I did that, they would boo me out of the stadium.”

True.

By Eric Prisbell  |  August 20, 2010; 2:39 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donohue, Johnson in mix now at weak-side linebacker
Next: Fan blog FAQ

Comments

They boo your fat @%$ out of the stadium now!!
Mids 41
Twerps 13

Posted by: rdondero123 | August 20, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

The previous ungentlemanly commentator aside, it will be an interesting game. My worry is that except for Dobbs, Navy's backfield is very young. But it's good to have Navy-Maryland back.

USNA '64

Posted by: JPMcC | August 20, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Right, they would boo him even if he won. So that's why he doesn't do it. Rather lose. And be booed for that.

Posted by: markfromark | August 20, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Ralph,

I was at MD when Jerry Claiborne ran the Wide Tackle 6 and he won. I don't care if you have no receivers and 4 running backs so long as you win. But you don't - your teams stink and lose to teams that would have been patsies under previous coaches.

Your teams are so bad they can't even qualify for the most depressing 4th tier bowls.

I hope I'm wrong and my beloved Terps have a great year, but I doubt it since you can't even recruit in PG County.

Please retire before you get fired.

Posted by: nativedc | August 20, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey JP,

As a former Navy enlisted guy, I recognize officer BS when I hear it. Fat Ralph must go. Interesting game my A$$.

Posted by: rdondero123 | August 20, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't boo him out of the stadium and i am there every game. Ralph is the best coach we have had in 20 years. You idiots will be missing him when he is gone. Ralph has done more for Maryland football than any coach since they won it all in the 50s. Look at the stadium construction, team house, bowl appearances. Wake up, unless you want another duffner or vanderlinden.

Posted by: tensjed | August 20, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tensjed | August 20, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tensjed | August 20, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Arguments about Ralph asside, Georgia Tech does what Navy does and I don't see anybody booing the jackets off the field.

Posted by: cjterps98 | August 23, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse