Poll: How many games will Maryland win?

It is finally game week, even though Maryland doesn’t open the season until a week from today against Navy. I’ll ask for predictions on the Navy game Friday, so today we can open it up to season predictions. Look, it’s hard to imagine that the Terrapins won’t be improved this season. That said, I still have concerns about offensive line depth … a few questions about quarterback … and growing concerns about the kicking game. I’m eager to see improved and healthy running backs Da’Rel Scott and Davin Meggett and depth at wide receiver.

In the end, look for it all to translate into Maryland sitting right on the fence for a bowl game late in the season. There is a very good chance, in my view, that this team wins between four and seven games. It wouldn’t surprise me if things go poorly, injuries mount and the Terps win four. And it would not stun me at all if they win seven. But it will take quite a bit for them to win more than seven.

My prediction: 5-7, with wins over Morgan State, Florida International, Duke, Virginia, Wake Forest. Two games in non-conference play – Navy and West Virginia – are particularly daunting, although I expect Maryland to be competitive in both.

How do you see the season going?

By Eric Prisbell  |  August 30, 2010; 8:18 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kicker Ferrara sidelined with groin pull
Next: Friedgen: Kicker Ferrara will be a game-time decision

Comments

I'd say 8 wins if things fall their way. Navy is a key win which will be tough to get but if they get it, I see them beating the teams listed above and N.C. State.

However, an opening loss to Navy could send the season downhill very fast.

Posted by: CapsNut | August 30, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I agree with CapsNut. 8-4 mostly because of their ridiculously weak schedule. Terps avoid many of the heavy hitters in the ACC (GTech, VTech, UNC) and only play four good teams all year (Navy, WVU, FSU, and Miami). Terps will beat Navy, lose to WVU, FSU, Miami, and Clemson.

Posted by: aviscardo | August 30, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I predict the terps won't win much. Navy will beat them this weekend.

Posted by: SirPelleas | August 30, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Holy optimism?!? I'd be thrilled with anything over 4 wins. We have a weak schedule... but a weak team to match. Who knows what things look like in November, but UVa has all the program momentum now with London and we rarely win there anyway (twice in last twenty years). 4-8.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 30, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Actually what I can predict is that Barno will continue to delight us with his manic fanhood by predicting an undefeated season, Ralph Friedgen as coach of the year, and that a Top 50 recruiting class is as good as - if not better than - a Top 5 recruiting class.

Posted by: SirPelleas | August 30, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SirPelleas | August 30, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking the Terps will squeeze out 6 wins this season, and one of those will be either Navy or WVU.

The Navy game will go a long way in determining this team's fate, and a poor showing there could mean a repeat of last season's dismal result.

Posted by: Russtinator | August 30, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Less than 3 wins. Ralph's last year. His replacement will do no better. There is no commitment for having a top program.

Posted by: petecard | August 31, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Pete's 3 wins is pessimistic as usual...however, I am predicting 4 to 7 wins, so it is not an unrealistic prediction.

The new president is from Iowa. If he brings in an AD with Big12 or Big 10(11) roots, expect a new emphasis on football.

Also, if the new AD has Big 10 roots, expect the Big 10 to go to 16 teams. The eastern division would probably consist of:

MD
Rutgers
Pitt
Penn St.
Ohio St
Michigan
Mich St
Indiana or Purdue

All of these schools are closer to MD than Ga Tech, Miami and Fl St.

Teams get home and away within the division in b-ball and play home or away in f-ball until the championship game. I like it.

This is a meaningless football season that is worth nothing more than Fridge's salary.

Posted by: larry31 | August 31, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse