Make predictions for Navy-Maryland game

So tempted to pick Maryland to win. I really am. But I just can’t do it. Yes, I do feel the Terrapins have improved, perhaps significantly, from last season. I think Jamarr Robinson will have his ups and downs but will be an effective quarterback this season. I think the defense will be quicker and more physical. And I really think running back Da’Rel Scott will be back to his old self.

But I still have Navy winning the game. Maryland’s practices and scrimmages have been closed to reporters, which makes it difficult to get a real feel for the team. That said, the Terps have been preparing for the triple-option since the spring. I see both teams finding success running the ball. It does not look as if sophomore place kicker Nick Ferrara will go for Maryland, which is an issue. Navy will have some inexperience at linebacker – fine. But, again, in the end, Navy is the pick.

Navy, 28-27.

How does everyone else see it going?

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 3, 2010; 7:27 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland men's basketball schedule released
Next: Maryland's most important unit: offensive line

Comments

23-20 Terps

Posted by: CapsNut | September 3, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I hope they don't revoke my Alumni status, but Navy is real good. I have it 24-14, Navy.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | September 3, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Navy 35, Terps 10

Posted by: petecard | September 3, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I predict the score will be Maryland 24, Navy 21. Go Terps!

Posted by: gburggal | September 3, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

38-17 Navy

Posted by: slim4 | September 3, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately (see my handle), I see Navy winning by 7-10 points.

Posted by: 74umgrad1 | September 3, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Petecard's prediction: shocker

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

For all of the talk regarding the Terps improvement, I do think Navy has one of the best teams they've had since they went to the Triple Option. I see a high scoring game, but Navy prevailing...35-27

Posted by: Russtinator | September 3, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I cannot see this game being won by more than 7 points. Why? Because both offenses are going to be run heavy. There has been talk of the Terps going back to using the option more because of Robinson's running ability, and that matched up with Da'Rel Scott's speed, I have both teams getting over 200 yards rushing.
I am a Terps fan first and foremost, but I like Navy, and they are the best team in the state right now. I just can't see them competing with Maryland's size and speed the whole game, so I have the final score:

Maryland: 17
Navy: 14

Posted by: md23terps11 | September 3, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Navy but in a close game.

Not a fan on MD but hope they do better this year. It's good to have decent/good college teams in the area you are from.

Posted by: mrcox54 | September 3, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Terps win 24-21 on a Baltz field goal. Bank on it.

Posted by: aviscardo | September 3, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I don't like the Terps chances against the Brigade.....Navy 31-10

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | September 3, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Navy wins and Ralph gets fired.

Posted by: MARKHAGNER | September 3, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Da'Rel Scott gets back on track with 150 yards...MD 28 - Navy 17.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | September 3, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I enjoy seeing what the readers and this kid Eric thinks, but wouldn't it be better to get an opinion from someone who knows College Football?

Posted by: themantoyou | September 3, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I like the Terps but navy is going to wear them down. This is the same Navy team that was 1 turn over from upsetting Ohio St and they return almost everyone from that team. I just dont see MD being much better from last years team. If you can barely beat JMU, your not beating Navy

Posted by: rvanags | September 3, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

High scoring affair......Terp LB's will contain most of the option and will put the ball in the air with their tall receivers. Terps win 31-27. Dont sleep on the Md RB's as they are DEEP this year. QB position has improved greatly with the versatility of Jamarr Robinson. I dont see Navy and their inexperienced LB's containing the MD running game.

Posted by: GMorg11 | September 3, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

QB is not improved this year. Chris Turner was underrated throughout his tenure at Maryland. Not only did he get stuck in the Steffy/Portis nonsense, but he had to deal with that pathetic offensve line last season. He had a very good completion percentage despite not having the best players around him, and excelled despite having terrible plays run into him from James Franklin.

Robinson is definitely a step back at the position despite his ability to run outside the pocket. Sure, he can run the option better than Turner, but this offense is not set up as an option offense like it was 2003-2006. The other cogs in the offense are setup more for the spread or a hyprid pro-style, but Robinson is going to hold them back. His accuracy is very questionable, and he makes one read before scrambling out of the pocket. His poise and leadership were not present last year (perhaps he's grown up a little over the past 8 months), and I would much rather have O'Brien take his lumps this season so the team can make some serious strides in 2011.

Posted by: Russtinator | September 3, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I think Navy wins, double digits too. Fun day, bad result

Posted by: jpfterps | September 3, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I can't repress my Homer instincts (I need a donut!!).

I am going with the Terps 24-17.

I like the total disrespect the Terps are getting (it is, however, deserved). I think this is a trap game for Navy because they are supposed to win this.

MD's ample time to prep for the triple option and MD's psychological edge tip the scales toward the Terps.

Posted by: larry31 | September 3, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Could not disagree any more Russtinator....A step back?? That is ridiculous...his arm and accuracy are much better than Turner and he has yet to throw an interception in his brief career...step back...gimme a break.

Posted by: GMorg11 | September 3, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

WOW...We have some true Terp fans...LMBO. As for the game, Navy 38 UMD 21. UMD has talent, but very very very poor coaching. Ralph is already making excuses. What coach comes out and says "I think that we're ready"? Show some confidence Ralph! No he's is coming up with excuses before the season has even started...The old we're young card is being played...We've heard this for the last 3 yrs.

Enough is enough, please let this man and his sidekick (Franklin) go. This team has enough talent to win 6-8 games, but the kids are have to trust and respect the coaches and I don't think that they do.

As for the QB play, Robinson is a true leader and has the athletic ability to make things happen. He has earned the spot and should be given chance. This coaching staff did Chris Turner totally wrong and now they're going down that road with Robinson. He has to be perfect in everything he does or he'll be bench.

I truly see a 3 win season on the herizon for the Terps (Morgan St, Duke and Florida In).

Posted by: tyat3 | September 3, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

We are talking about a Navy team that took apart Mizzou in the Texas Bowl last year, I think they can handle UMD. . Navy 27 UMD 17

Posted by: mh53ehawk | September 3, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Navy in a breeze 38-17

Posted by: mh53ehawk | September 3, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Navy 91 - Maryland 3.

Posted by: JPMcC | September 3, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

The Fridge will exceed all expectations this season, with a winning season in College Park. At his best under the hot seat, he leads the Terps to a solid opening performance, 31-13 over the Midshipmen.

Posted by: luq1 | September 3, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

early lead forces navy to throw. TERPS big 28-10.

Posted by: terpcentral1 | September 4, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Navy was probably scheduled before we realized how good they were...now we have become the underdogs ....I see we have Div II Morgan State coming up next....perhaps we should reach out to Catonsville Community College

Posted by: TerpfanMA | September 4, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Navy has boring offense but controls the ball...and the game tempo, and wins a low scoring affair. Hopefully this (natural) rivalry continues in the future.

Posted by: oldnavy30 | September 4, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Home and home series between the two schools should happen. Let's stop this pain in the rump trip to b'more.

Posted by: 6thandD | September 4, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

32-3 Navy. I just hope it's that close.
And I'm a Maryland Alum.

Posted by: jeadpt | September 4, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

to paraphrase Dougmackintyre:

I hope they don't revoke my baby brother's Alumni status, but Navy is real good. I have it 24-14, Navy.

and regarding themantoyou's little inanity of a post, I'll assume that is precisely the reason you didn't offer up an actual opinion regarding the game's outcome.

Posted by: mdrockjock | September 5, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

UMD coaching is poor. They are boring to watch and are usually unprepared to play. MD is outplayed by teams with better talent and out-hustled by those with inferior talent...every season, we are stuck with questions at QB, DL, OL and it seems like 2/3 of the people standing on the sidelines are WRs...Navy is favored to win by 7 and will probably pound UMD by more than that...a sad testament to how far UMD has regressed over the last 8 years...Fridge is already laying the groundwork for the "youth" excuse and then may also trot out the "cant reach the players" excuse after we get run over by WVU.....Navy 38 UMD 14

Posted by: TerpfanMA | September 5, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

We should not have been so cheap as to have not come up with the money to buy out the fat man's contract lat year. This program is in a death spiral and we just won't admit it. Navy has more talent, is better conditioned and is better coached. Terps can't stop anyone on the ground... it breaks my heart but Navy in a blow out...

Posted by: Phillip258 | September 5, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse