Make your Maryland-West Virginia football predictions here

All week I have been tempted to pick Maryland against West Virginia in this measuring stick-type game for the Terrapins. But I can’t.

Don’t count me as a believer in this team just yet. There are still plenty of lingering questions about Maryland. The Terps were fortunate to win the Navy game and last week against Morgan State was basically a bye week. Maryland may very well come of age Saturday and pull this off. But I’d be foolish to pick two inexperienced quarterbacks (four starts between them) to walk into Morgantown for the first time and come out with a victory. I think West Virginia's 3-3-5 defense (even without Brandon Hogan) will cause some confusion. I see Maryland having some success on the ground, but the thought of them throwing the ball around the field against a good defense scares me. Defensively, I’m more curious than anything. A lot of people have been talking up Maryland’s speed defensively. Well, we’re going to find out. WVU doesn’t have one speedster you need to contain. They have three in Noel Devine, Jock Sanders and Tavon Austin. I see at least a couple big runs or yards after catches, etc. I’m also curious whether punt returner Tony Logan can keep up his strong start to the season. Maybe he can, but I’m going with the Mountaineers, who pull away with a late touchdown.

West Virginia 28, Maryland 17

I’m headed up to West Virginia this afternoon after my computer training, so feel free to e-mail me your predictions and thoughts on the game: prisbelle@washpost.com.

What’s your prediction on the game?

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 17, 2010; 8:48 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: West Virginia's Stewart: 'We are the neatest, tidiest, most courteous fans out there'
Next: Re-vote on Maryland's biggest football rivalry

Comments

Terps win 28 - 14 with some big runs by our tailbacks.

WVA fans go home squealing like hogs.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | September 17, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, 2010 will be a 3 win season at best for the terps.

Posted by: Theone9 | September 17, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

As much as I think Maryland will be competitive this time around, I think WVU got their panties wet last week against Marshall, and won't let that happen again, especially on home turf.

WVU 24
Terps 21

Posted by: Russtinator | September 17, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone here watch the Marshall game last week? WV's offensive line is awful. Terps win 28-17. Brown's D causes a lot of turnovers. If I'm the Fridge I'm focusing everyone on stopping Devine. That's the key to the game.

Posted by: aviscardo | September 17, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

For sure a coming of age game for the team. Everybody had UMD picked towards the bottom of the ACC and thats when we play best. A very under-rated team. There will be some miscues, and I do expect big runs. But I also do not expect WV to be able to stop the terps running machine. Terps are back! the rest of the acc will have to take notice for next year as well.

Posted by: sanjuan1227 | September 17, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Maryland 23
WVU 21

Posted by: fushezzi | September 17, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Tough game to call. West-By-God-Virginia has been sleepwalking through both their games so far this season against less than stellar competition, while Maryland has yet to trail in a game this season.

I can easily see West-By-God-Virginia thinking that Maryland is another Marshall/Coastal Carolina which would lead to Maryland blowing them out.

West-By-God-Virginia has already lost four fumbles this season this Maryland defense is as physical as I've ever seen it and they seem to get stronger as the game goes on.

I don't think West-By-God-Virginia will take Maryland lightly but the Terps have seem to have solved their "bright lights" problem of the last few years (bad record in high-profile and/or late starting games).

However, because this is on the road I think it will be close so I'm going with 27-24 Maryland.

Posted by: CapsNut | September 17, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Uh who the $hit is gonna score the points for MD. Your QBs naw i dobnt think so, they are garbage and playing 2 qbs never works out. Your RBs, your best RB prob Derel would be 3rd sting on WVU.

Anyways good luck its always a fun hard hitting game.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 17, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Stu I don't like two qb systems but it did work a couple of years ago with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. It will be be tough for the Terps to win at Morgantown.

Posted by: jp80 | September 17, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

So which one is Tebow???

Posted by: Stu27 | September 17, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Terps by three or less. 20-17.

Beat WVU. A win changes EVERYTHING.

Regards-

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | September 17, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Maryland has 2 good victories, the one over Navy maybe a little lucky. WVU has 18 returning starters- I am surprised about the slow start.
I expect WVU to be the sleeping GIANT that awakens this week.
WVU-37 Terds- 14

Posted by: jzink | September 17, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Opps, Terps!

Posted by: jzink | September 17, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Terps will make a couple key errors early and not be able to recover. We will be competitive though. I think our offense will score, but I'm not yet sold on this defense.
Terps 17, WVU 28

Posted by: srcog | September 17, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Fridge wont have the team prepared again. WVU will be up by 14pts and pulling away before he puts in Obrien but it will be too little too late.....tomorrow's headline: "MOUNTAINEERS CLIMB ALL OVER TERPS"...and UMD reaches out to Towson to be their new rival.....

Posted by: TerpfanMA | September 18, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Correction to my previous post...it is already 14-0 and he still has Robinson in so he will probably wait until it is 21-0 before inserting Obrien...Obrien wont be able to win the game and then Fridge will trash him in the press as an excuse for losing with a young QB

Posted by: TerpfanMA | September 18, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Ok now its 21-0...perhaps time for Obrien?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | September 18, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse