Maryland and West Virginia extend football series until at least 2017

Maryland and West Virginia have extended their football rivalry until at least 2017. The schools had been scheduled to play until 2013 and now they will play another four seasons. That's good news; it's a good rivalry.

Maryland will be home in 2011, 2013, 2014 and 2017. West Virginia will be home in 2010, 2012, 2015 and 2016.

Maryland and West Virginia have met 46 times, including each season from 1980 to 2007. West Virginia leads 23-21-2.

On the topic of schedules, Maryland’s game against Florida International on Sept. 25 will kickoff at noon and be televised on ESPNU. More good news.

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 13, 2010; 1:36 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Don Brown: 'We were up in their faces the entire night'
Next: Adams as an option at running back

Comments

What's the rule of thumb of scheduling games in the future? 2017 isn't for some time, but the 100-year anniversary of the series (since 1919) is just right around the corner. I wonder what kept them from aiming for 2019.

Posted by: JHopper2 | September 13, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

This is good news. Maryland needs to play more D-1 teams such as West Virginia to get a better measure of just how good (or bad) the team is. As much as I love the Terps, I don't feel they gained anything from the Morgan State game other than a gaudy final score. Better competition brings out the best in athletes and, while Maryland isn't ready to play Alabama, Ohio State or Oklahoma, I would like to see them play other BCS schools more often.

Posted by: JBTerp | September 13, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see them extend the Navy series as well.

Posted by: arnoldturner | September 13, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see them extend the Navy series as well.

Posted by: arnoldturner | September 13, 2010 3:07 PM

Me too - but the WVa re-up is another sign that Maryland and Navy won't be playing for awhile. And I think that Navy's schedule is full for the next few years.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 13, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

JB - I think the Terps have as tough a schedule as they can handle. They book one major non-conference opponent for home and homes (like Cal last season, WVa this) and like every 1-A school, they have a 1-AA in for a guaranteed win. Terps have played a good 1-AA team the past few years (JMU, Delaware, Nova). I would estimate that Maryland plays as many BCS conference opponents as anyone in the country (9 or 10) - of course most of them are in the sorry ACC.

Next season they upgrade FIU to Temple and add a potential top ten Notre Dame. 2013 brings the respectable UConn in with WVa and Temple. Texas out in the distance. I think the scheduling is fine.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 13, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I do like the rivalry with WVU, I just wish half of the upper deck wasn't full of their fans at Byrd.

It's good news that the FIU game is on TV, but I HATE noon games. I would much rather have a 6 PM home game on ESPN3.

Posted by: Russtinator | September 13, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps if we keep playing WVU, we can will them into the ACC to replace some of these poser private schools.

Posted by: Terps85 | September 14, 2010 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Terps85 | September 14, 2010 1:15 AM

You do realize that we lost all of our games against poser ACC private schools last season, right?

Posted by: Kev29 | September 14, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse