West Virginia football fans throwing stones at the Maryland team bus in the past?

I have been inundated with e-mails from West Virginia fans! Thank you all so much. Far too many for me to reply to every one, but I read every one and appreciate the insights into the culture and tradition in Morgantown. Mountaineers fans have a lot of pride and are very protective of their state's image, as they should be.

I have one more question, though: Several people have told me that West Virginia fans line an overpass, wait for the visiting team's bus to approach on I-68 and then some toss projectiles toward the bus.

Has anyone out there participated in this pregame act or seen it firsthand? Once again, please e-mail me at prisbelle@washpost.com.

Thanks again.

I have seen lots of hostile environments covering college sports. And I still say that the most hostile environment I have seen firsthand was a Texas-El Paso men's basketball game about 10 years ago. Wild. That said, I began thinking about which school had rowdier fans, Maryland or West Virginia. The comparison really is between Maryland's men's basketball crowds and West Virginia's football crowds. I personally say Maryland has the rowdier fans. Am I wrong?

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 16, 2010; 8:07 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Former Terps join Gary Williams celebration
Next: Bieber Fever, Patrick Stevens and 16-topping pizzas at Maryland

Comments

Rocks? more like boulders. Yeah we all go out to coopers rock and cut out big ole slabs and just chuck em into oncoming traffic on a highway where the speed limit is 80.
Anyways keep feeding to the urban legend that has become WVU football and its fans.
Enjoy the latest beatdown, its been a couple years.
Oh yeah and look out for Tavon, Fridges number 1 recruit. Cant even keep the kids in his own backyard, weak.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 16, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Hah, nice survey design.

Posted by: wbbradb | September 16, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Stu27- you know what they say, Don't throw stones if you live in America's most classless inbred state..Lets go Terps

Posted by: nford2 | September 16, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Go WVU. The Terps are woeful. Another whipping at the hands of the Mountaineers. If any fans or players from College Park to Cumberland are afraid to cross the border then don't come. It can't be worse than College Park or Bodymore Murdaland quit whining and bring your behind for the slaughter.

Posted by: reinersmith | September 16, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Hurling BOULDERS at ONCOMING traffic or tossing PLASTIC WATER CONTAINERS in the direction of Shane Battier's family??? It's a TOSSUP...

Posted by: iamasofaking | September 16, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see the Terps win. WVU you showed nothing against Marshall. WVU one of the most overrated football programs.

Posted by: py72 | September 16, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

G Smith 12 v Marshall.
32/45 316 yds.

J Robinson and D Obrien for the season(yes their your QBs)
13/30 160 yds.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 16, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

This is classic - I don't know who to vote for. I would have to say it's a tie - let's see who can one up the other during this series. Watching the fans in this one is more interesting than the game.

Posted by: MDL7 | September 16, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

The Cal series was fun, but I did miss the good ol' Mountaineers game. I remember my buddy and I coming out of the Gator Bowl and having several WV gals literally get on their knees, telling us how they were not worthy. Well, we all know those days are long gone and the Blue and Yellow has ruled us of late. Hopefully my Terps will show up Saturday and give y'all a good game. I hear you grew a passing attack while we were away? Probably had to after that Kerns RB cheating thingy. For shame. But hey, that's been a part of the "urban legend that has become WVU football" too, huh? Luck to my pals in Morgantown. (Not the good kind, of course.) Let the fun begin. ;-)

Posted by: steven09 | September 16, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I suppose if my state's main export was 300-pound 5th graders, I would see nothing wrong with throwing rocks at oncoming traffic. However, I do not. Terps win big. Wal-marts are closed across WV this Saturday as the state mourns its loss.

Posted by: aviscardo | September 16, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Love the posters that come on here to disparage the state. Guess this happens because there is literally nothing positive to talk bout concerning the terps football team.

Trust me you aren't playing Middle Tennessee State or Duke this weekend. But we gonna bust your @ss just like they did.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 16, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Stu, no problem. We love West Virginia. In fact, I head there every time I'm looking for a good, sleazy strip club.

Although, you might want to check up on those English skills a bit. I think you confused their with they're, in your previous post. They are generally not interchangeable. That's okay though, good buddy. We all understand how tough it is to get into WVU. ;-)

lol.....Gotta love the rivalry. Fun times.

Posted by: steven09 | September 16, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Having been to a WVU game, I have seen WVU fans crawl out from under their rocks, and then throw them. I think it has something to do with the their Neanderthal DNA. Most of the players (and some fans) suffer from RTIQ (room temperature IQ , around 72)

I have never seen a stadium where you are allowed to leave at half-time to re-juice and then come back in and get crazy. The Walmarts really do shut down during the games.

Tevon is a nice player but he could not get into MD.

Posted by: mdterps2 | September 16, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Love it, english lesson but yet no football talk. really why even have a team if they suck so bad that no one cares to follow them.

I mean really do you guys have any good players, guessing not.
Fridgen all but said his name, he said that there was one recruit on their radar. Tavon wouldn't go there, sorry fridge.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 16, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

lol.....Stu, expect us to roll over and lie on our backs. We can't hold a candle to you guys, and I hope you sincerely believe that (unless it's an education you are after, that is). ;-)

By the way, Austin's loss wasn't as bad as losing Campbell to the pro's, or Penn State coming down and raiding our linebackers every year. But the real hurt is when we shoot ourselves. Like when Slayton and Schmitt came running to Maryland and Freidgen told them to take a hike. Now that, I admit, cost us.

Posted by: steven09 | September 16, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Got stuck behind Terp bus on 68 last time they played. No rocks.

Posted by: NatsFly | September 18, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

WVU FANS WERE GREAT SATURDAY!! I went to the game this past saturday and from tail-gaiting to post game parties, their fans were some of the best fans Id ever experienced. Now it's hasn't always been that way,I've been going to MD & WV games in various sports since the 1970's. At times its been ugly on both sides, but not this time. In addition, I GREW UP just 35-40 MILES FROM MORGANTOWN (DEEP CREEK LAKE,MARYLAND) but I WENT TO MARYLAND(1984 GRAD);SO I'M A FAN OF BOTH SCHOOLS AND JUST HAPPEN TO KNOW A LITTLE about BOTH OF THESE PROGRAMS and their fans.
As far as your poll, when it comes to FOOTBALL MARYLAND DOESNT COME CLOSE TO WV IN TERMS OF BEING "ROWDY"; however, WVU CANNOT HOLD A CANDLE TO THE "TERPS" IN BASKETBALL (although this past year,a couple games AT wvu came close). So which is rowdier WVU FOOTBALL or MD BASKETBALL? Again,I've watched both programs over many years and being a fan of both schools I'm being as objective as I possibly can. Since I cant make it a toss-up I'd HAVE to give the edge to MARYLAND BASKETBALL.

Posted by: lre33terp | September 20, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse