Your FIU-Maryland game predictions

Let me first say that my West Virginia game prediction (28-17) was only three points off the actual score (31-17). Now, on to the prediction for Saturday's Maryland-Florida International game. I was tempted a little bit to pick the Panthers, but I think I was getting too caught up in them and overlooking their primary weakness: offense. It’s a significant weakness and they have not done much to impress anyone offensively in two games. I like their defense a lot and think it will create some issues for Maryland, which is playing with a more inexperienced offensive line. Look for Maryland to have some success running the ball and for Jamarr Robinson to find Torrey Smith enough times to put a decent number of points on the board. I expect a big day from Maryland’s linebackers – Adrian Moten, Alex Wujciak and Demetrius Hartsfield – and perhaps a couple interceptions. I envision a game in which Maryland leads throughout most of it, but the Terrapins are unable to completely pull away from FIU and the game remains competitive throughout.

This is essentially a must-win for Maryland in my mind. And I think they get that win before the ACC season starts up next week. I caught up with FIU safety Jonathan Cyprien on the phone earlier in the week. To me, the Golden Panthers appear confident but far from cocky. They have yet to finish off one of these BCS conference opponents but are very close to doing so. To me, this is their most winnable of their first four games and I could see them creating some scary moments for the Terps and their fans Saturday.

Maryland 28, FIU 21

Three story lines for Saturday's game. Check out my story on how the Terrapins aren't overlooking Florida International here.

What are your thoughts and predictions?

By Eric Prisbell  | September 24, 2010; 7:19 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland and Texas, a tale of two football programs
Next: More guests added for Gary Williams celebration

Comments

Maryland 17
FIU 16

Posted by: fushezzi | September 24, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

FIU 14
Maryland 13

Posted by: kingrob76 | September 24, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Maryland 23
FIU 6

Posted by: afterp | September 24, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Maryland 16
FIU 10

Posted by: Kev29 | September 24, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Eric: Maryland 28, FIU 21. Go Terps!

Posted by: gburggal | September 24, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Terps by two TD's: 28-14.

Posted by: aviscardo | September 24, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Maryland 24
FIF 21

Another nailbiter at Byrd!!!

Posted by: S-Doug | September 24, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I predict the Terps win, Fridge gets extra toppings and takes the team to McDonalds. Then we get another top 80 recruiting class.

Posted by: SirPelleas | September 24, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Travis Baltz might be the hero in this one:

Maryland 17 - FIU 14

(This isn't your grandfather's FIU.)

Posted by: Terptwin | September 24, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

28-0 in the first half was just pathetic. Just pathetic. The Terps will pull it out, 24-21, but they will come nowhere close to covering the spread. Bet the ranch on this one!

Posted by: steven09 | September 24, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I expect the Terps to deliver a beating as part of the bounce back from WVU. 38-17 with some scoring coming in garbage time.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | September 24, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SirPelleas | September 24, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

SirPelleas, I seem to recall at some point you actually had some valid points on this blog. But lately you have just made asinine comment after asinine comment. Friedgen had the 26th best class in the country this year, according to Rivals.

And, according to Rivals, the recruiting classes for Ralph Friedgen's Terps the last 6 years have averaged 26th in the nation.

Furthermore we have the second most Terps playing in the NFL of any ACC team. Clearly, Maryland gets plenty of good players. So where on earth you got the idea that recruiting has been such a big problem for the Terps is beyond me.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 24, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Maybe you could lighten up a little Barno. SirPelleas' comment was actually humorous. Don't take all this stuff so personally.

MD 31 - FIU 10

Posted by: erniegogo | September 24, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

FIU 24 UMD 10. Go Terps.

Posted by: Theone9 | September 24, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 - I predicted that the Terps will win and that is certainly a valid point because that's what the article asked. Extra toppings, well, that's valid and predictable too because the Fridge weighs like a dump truck.

26th best recruiting class? SO WHAT! What do we have to show for it? What does the SEC Conference have to show for their classes? Let's see, 4 national championships in the last 4 years, with the possibility of a 5th for this year.

Barno1 - You're like a reporter on CNN and Fox - you blow everything out of proportion. You are a truly manic fan.

Posted by: SirPelleas | September 24, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh wait, no, Barno1 - I'm on to you.... I know you have a picture of the Fridge on your ceiling.

Posted by: SirPelleas | September 24, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

SirPelleas:

I agree with your comments...Fridge is disgusting...he is a 400lb disgrace and anyone who thinks his personal appearance doesnt affect recruiting is kidding themselves.....26th ranked recruiting class??? Are you kidding me? I looked at the top 100 signees and UMD and there were at least 15 schools that had multiple recruits, so while its mathematically possible, I would highly doubt it....if it is anywhere close to true, then it further illustrates how pathetic Fridge/Franklin are doing coaching these kids.....UMD is barely a competitive Div1 program....I dont care how many ballgames he won 10 years ago, since the team was made up of his recruits he has been a DISASTER and the only reason Yow didnt gasbag his fat butt was that revenue was so low she couldnt afford it.....
FRIDGE/FRANKLIN SUX

Posted by: TerpfanMA | September 24, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

TerpfanMA - thanks.

I also think commenting on the Fridge's weight is valid, considering that if the Fridge doesn't get his health in order, he probably will not be standing on the sidelines in 7 years for the Texas game. Like I said - if the Fridge is going to stick around, he will have to address his health, starting winning, and recruit better. If not, it's time for a change.

Hopefully the Terps win today.

Barno1 - nothing wrong with a little sarcasm. Stephen Colbert used quite a bit of it yesterday when we testified to Congress, but still sent a powerful message (in my opinion). Don't take my comments so personally.

Posted by: SirPelleas | September 25, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Ooops...I left the word ZERO out of my post...as in, UMD got ZERO of the top 100 signees.....so when you figure that 15 schools got at least 2 of the top 100, that leaves approx 60 -70 schools that at least got 1....it kind of stretches the imagination that UMDs class would be #26.....

Summary: Recruiting is POOR..Execution is POOR....Coaching is POOR

Since the team has been made up of "Fridge Players", he has produced 2 / 7 winning seasons and this has been against a pretty weak Non Con sched and a pretty weak conference......it is getting harder and harder to find cupcakes for the beginning of the season because UMD is discovering that we are as bad as they are so each game becomes a tossup

UNPLUG the FRIDGE/FRANKLIN show!

Posted by: TerpfanMA | September 25, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

60-3. wooooo 'itches! Alright, calm down. whew, I dunno.

26MD - 17OTHER

and ya SirPelleas, Colbert testifying to congress was seriously fun, or funnily serious? It was tremendous. Paraphrasing. "...and when I leave here, the democrats and republicans will work together to come up with a solution that is in the best interest of the American public, as they always do."

Posted by: bentoenail | September 25, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

TerpsfanMA, you comments are hilarious dude. Let me get this straight, if Maryland didn't get 1 of the top 100 recruits, then they can't possibly have the 26th best class in the country? You're not really that stupid are you?

As for Fridge weighing 400 lbs, it's pretty obvious you don't follow this team very closely. Fridge dropped about 100 lbs this past year and is nowhere near 400 anymore.

Lastly, you say Fridge's weight is a serious problem in recruiting. That's also amusing considering that when he weighed about 100 pounds more, he had back to back recruiting classes ranked 16th and 17th in the country a few years ago.

Please. Stop. Commenting