AD Kevin Anderson to Earn $401,015; More for Success On, Off Field
By Liz Clarke and Steve Yanda
Maryland’s new athletic director, Kevin Anderson, has signed a five-year contract that will pay him a base salary of $401,015 and provides a system of bonuses and incentives that, depending on the Terps’ performance in the classroom and on the playing field, could nudge his total compensation just over $500,000.
In addition to his base salary, Anderson, who came to College Park after five years at Army, will be provided with a $900-month car allowance (for two cars) that may be used as he sees fit, under terms of the contract.
After one year on the job, he will earn an additional $25,000 for every six-month period in which the university requires him to make personal appearances in connection with media, alumni or fan base obligations.
The contract also specifies six financial incentives he can earn each year, depending on the Terps’ academic, athletic and fundraising performance. Specifically:
* Beginning with the NCAA’s Fall 2012 report on six-year graduation rates (for the entering calls of 2005), $15,000 for each year that Maryland’s’ student-athletes graduate at a higher rate than the university’s undergraduates in general.
* $10,000 if 410 or more student-athletes make the University’s Honor Roll.
* $7,500 if membership in the Terrapins Club exceeds the previous year’s total by 5 percent.
* $7,500 if donations to the Intercollegiate Athletics Program increase by 5 percent over the previous year’s total.
* $5,000 for a top-30 finish in the Director’s Cup, which recognizes universities that field broad-based sports programs for men and women and achieve at a high level.
* $5,000 if 10 or more Maryland teams advance to an NCAA championship. Maryland sponsors 27 sports for men and women.
The contract, obtained through a Freedom of Information request, also provides Anderson with $45,000 to relocate his family from New York.
Debbie Yow, who served as Maryland’s athletic director for 16 years, earned a base salary of $382,574, with adds-on that raised her compensation to $448,374. At N.C. State, Yow receives a base salary of $350,000, with an additional $100,000 in supplemental compensation.
| October 19, 2010; 5:23 PM ET
Categories: Add category | Tags: Debbie Yow, Kevin Anderson, Maryland athletics, athletics director, contract
Save & Share: Previous: Friedgen wants QB Robinson to run a different offense
Next: Poll: How many games does Friedgen need to win to keep job?
Posted by: carolina1 | October 19, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: shangps | October 20, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: AncientTerp | October 21, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse