Friedgen yet to pick starting quarterback for Clemson game

How Coach Ralph Friedgen uses quarterbacks Danny O’Brien and Jamarr Robinson will be a significant subplot in Saturday’s game at Clemson. But we probably won’t get much clarity on how each quarterback will be used until the first quarter in Death Valley.

On today’s ACC teleconference, Friedgen said, “We have not decided who will start. But both will play.”

That’s the answer most people expected. I’d be a little surprised if O’Brien does not start his third consecutive game, but I’d be equally surprised if Robinson is not used substantially because of his unique skill set.

How does everyone else feel about the quarterback situation?

By Eric Prisbell  | October 13, 2010; 12:15 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clemson's Swinney: Maryland's offense might be the 'most difficult we've had to prepare for'
Next: Maryland field hockey star Katie O'Donnell is honored

Comments

Why wouldn't O'Brein start? The only reason I can think of is Robinson is more mobile if pass protection breaks down?

If Fridge thinks Robinson is better, then start him and keep him in the game. Tell him he's the man and don't have him looking over his shoulder everytime he has an incompletion.

I don't think that will happen?

Posted by: sbf845 | October 13, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Make Clemson prepare for both

Posted by: khornbeak | October 13, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I agree with sbf845. Use two qb's consistently or use one. You can't instill any confidence or consistency by playing a qb and yanking him for a play or two in a game.

Posted by: Odieau | October 13, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I agree with all of you. Pick one (O'Brien obviously) and make him THE guy...but don't tell Clemson that several days beforehand.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Sure, the obvious smart move is to make Clemson prepare for both.
Reading between the lines... with all the talk during the "bye" about how not turning the ball over translates to wins...I see DOB playing the bulk of the game. His decision making has been impressive.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | October 13, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Regardless what the actual plan is, forcing Clemson to prepare for both is the best strategy for the team. Suspect that both WILL play this week. As long as they win, I really don't care - although DOB gaining experience will be a benefit for the next few years. Think we start DOB and wildcat J-Rob, although I would not be surprised to see J-Rob start at least a few series.

What will the RMOGs say if MD wins this one?

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 13, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Whoever is our QB, just have him PREPARED for Death Valley, and not have another episode like WVU...That would be called coaching... GO TERPS !!!!

Posted by: frostanna | October 13, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I hope Fridge is just playing games with Clemson and he starts and plays O'Brien at leats 80% of the time.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | October 13, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I have been informed by a reliable source that Poopy McPoop has been banned from commenting on WaPo anymore. Poopy, if you're reading this, your ignorance will be missed.

Posted by: aviscardo | October 13, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey aviscardo,

I believe he was posting on the RI yesterday; actually he had a post dissing Devin Thomas among the many scat focused comments. I actually hope not. I know he bugged a lot of you, but he reminds me of a ton of the guys I went to school with.

Assuming there are twelve offensive series in the game, I hope DOB gets nine of them at least. But I do think there is value in J-Rob getting a few series at least. I just hate when they send a QB in for one play; then it smells like indecision or even worse, desperation.

Either way, looing for the WRs to step up - get the rock to Torrey Smith early and often.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 13, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what effect this "dual" offense that Fridge has concocted has on our offensive preparation? We seem to be leading most of the conference in procedure penalties and are last in the ACC in both Time of Possession and 3rd down conversions? I am not passing myself off as the "offensive genius" that the Fridge is but I wonder if we are spending part time practicing the Obrien plays and part time practicing the Robinson plays....Another question I have is about Obrien: The "fans" seem to clearly recognize that he is "better" than Robinson, so I am wondering what the Fridge was doing all Spring/Summer when it was time to evaluate the QBs? Yep, Yep Yep, I know we are 4-1, but.......If this were a good program, we would be in the Top 25 with the other 4-1 teams

Posted by: TerpfanMA | October 13, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

TerpfanMA -

Hey...we did get 2 votes in one of the polls. It is a good point about the practice time - and we've burned a few timeouts needlessly. If we beat Clemson, I think we should enter at least some of the polls regardless of the QB.

I wonder if a bit of it isn't emotional with Fridge - he's had J-Rob for a few years and may want to reward him for his efforts with playing time. They also spent a ton of effort re-instuting the option this past year which clearly J-Rob is suited for. The 3rd down conversions is more of a concern to me than TOP - if we keep scoring quickly with bombs to Smith & co.

Fans do seem to gravitate to the second-string QB but in this case I think its clear that DOB offers the best hope for a successful season. That said, I recall in the 1980s observing practice and seeing Reich getting reps while we had Boomer starting so perhaps its not a big deal.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 13, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

After Robinson's embarrassing lack of poise during the first series against WVU, let's start O'Brien. OK to use Robinson a few series for a change of pace, but DOB needs to be our main guy.

Posted by: srcog | October 13, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a big fan of switching QB's in and out. Playing both quarterbacks tells the defense what is coming. When Jamar is in, it's a run. When Danny is in, we are more likely to pass. It's much easier for the defense to stop a play if we are telling them what is coming. Plus, it doesn't allow either quarterback to get into a rhythm.

It's a tough game and some experience would help. But Danny is clearly the future. Jamar is one dimensional and you have to absolutely love Danny's deep threat. If it's me coaching, Danny starts and Jamar plays on field goals and wildcat plays. But hey, that's why Friedgen gets paid the big bucks.

Posted by: steven09 | October 14, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Did you see the other article on Kick Return....I was blown away to see that we (after playing a couple of weak schools) were DEAD LAST in the NATION in kickoff return yards!!! There really is no excuse for UMD to be last in the country in any category!
When you look at the number of players who graduated from UMD and either play or had opportunities to play in the NFL over the last 6-7years, one has to conclude that we have underachieved in a big way! Coaching?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | October 14, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Preparing for both is not much of a problem. There are very few programs that are really successful with two QB's. I would prefer Ralph committing to O'Brien. I just don't like this indecisiveness.

Posted by: petecard | October 14, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse