Is the Clemson game Maryland's toughest road game?

Greetings, everyone. It’s finally game week in College Park after Maryland’s bye week. I’m back after a 10-day battle with pneumonia that caused me to miss the victory over Duke. I did get to watch a lot of it on the much-maligned ESPN3.com. I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with it. The picture quality was fine. I tuned out the broadcasters for the most part. But what I enjoyed the most were the statistics available on the same screen.

I will have information and insight from Maryland and Clemson throughout the week. At 4-1, Maryland is one win better than most people thought they’d be at this point, but the jury is still out on this team. Clemson, however, is 2-3 and is better than its record indicates. The Tigers have lost three straight games, to Auburn, Miami and North Carolina. Make no mistake, this is a dangerous team. But it also is a team capable of beating itself, so I fully expect Clemson to give Maryland some chances to remain in the game Saturday.

Another issue in this game is that Maryland has not won a road game in two years – since the comeback at Clemson in 2008. Hard to believe it has been that long. The question I have is this: While playing in Death Valley is difficult, is it a more hostile environment than West Virginia? My vote goes to West Virginia. I don't remember Clemson fans being particularly hostile.

By Eric Prisbell  | October 12, 2010; 10:56 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clemson to enter Maryland game 2-3 after loss to North Carolina
Next: Clemson's Swinney: Maryland's offense might be the 'most difficult we've had to prepare for'

Comments

More Terps Bball reads

Posted by: fushezzi | October 12, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I've been to quite a few MD-Clemson games down at Death Valley since the wife is a Clemson Alum and allows me a fun road trip while she can catch up with old college friends.
Their fans have always been hospitable and never threatening while I proudly wear my Maryland red. It's a totally different game day experience down South...one that I'm jealous of. I don't understand the appeal of Boiled Peanuts down there though!
Maryland has performed well under Friedgen on visits to Clemson, so I'm expecting a close game. I can't remember the year, but one game I attended ended on a horrible call by the refs that cost the Terps the game. It had a big part to do with instant-replay being instituted the following year.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | October 12, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

We're one win better than what we should be, but it's a weak 4-1. So that ain't sayin' much.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 12, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Is it harder to play in Death Valley or in West Virgina...are we serious?

This will clearly be a turnaround game for Clemson on our way to winning our side of the ACC.

Clemson over Maryland 35-17

Go Tigers!

Posted by: clydet42 | October 12, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey Clyde,
Stop being a loser and posting in a Maryland Terrapins forum. We beat you when we were 2-10. We will beat you again this year. And WVU is a way tougher place to play.

Posted by: aviscardo | October 12, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

dabo swinney is a fool

Posted by: slim4 | October 12, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Aviscar-rental, this isn't a Maryland Forum, this is a Washington Post forum. WVU may be more hostile in that their fans act like the same degenerates from College Park but that doesnt mean the stadium is as hostile by any means. Just because Clemson fans treat visiting fans like human beings doesnt mean that the inside of Death Valley is anything less hostile for the actual players on the field. Clemson still holds and maintains the record for the loudest stadium in College Football. That should be enough of an indication on how difficult of a place it can be to play for an opposing team. Whether this rings true for a Noon game this Saturday is yet to be seen.

Posted by: bburns3rd | October 12, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

mydogsnameisdixon,

2 things. First, your screen name still bugs me out a little (my family dog Dixon was killed by another dog less than a year ago, and he too was named after the Juan and only). Second, the year you are referring to was 2004. I didn't see the game as my friend Johnny Skidmarks who once referred to himself as Terry Terrapin decided to schedule his wedding during the game. It was a tough choice but I chose the wedding instead of the game, and I remember listening on a radio headset outside the reception and how pissed off Johnny Holiday and Chris Knocke were about the call in the end zone. Cost us bowl eligibility that year.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 12, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Let's get the easy stuff out of the way first. Glad you are feeling better Eric. ESPN3 is okay in a pinch, the problem that I have with it is, if you are listening to the radio, the computer feed is about 6 seconds delayed. Drives me crazy knowing the outcome of the next play. But hey, it's the age in which we live.

Clemson fans are great. Knowledgeable, yet cordial. My kudos to them. I must say that I actually appreciate the Mountaineer fans too, in a redneck kinda way. They are not as knowledgeable as the Clemson fans, nor as cordial. But I still like the banter.

VT fans are the worst. Not even close. They're just arrogant. And I am sorry if that sounds like I'm casting stones, but it's true in my humble opinion.

As for the upcoming game in Death Valley. The games with Clemson, here or there, of late, have been classics. I love 'em. It's what football is all about. The definition of smashmouth and exciting. If history is a guide, this one will once again be decided by the refs.

That being said, we, Maryland, has a Sagarin rating 51 points higher than Clemson, and yet they are 15 point favorites. What's wrong with that picture? Lack of respect? You tell me.

I can only tell you that it will be a hard hitting game....because it always is.

They've always been a running team. No surprise there. And we will miss Gilbert this week. But the OL doesn't seem as young this year. We even won the second half of the WVU game, so let's hope we have learned from that and don't give up 28 points out of the shoot.

The wild card, once again this week, is the freshie, Danny. He's been everything we could hope for and more. But this week will be his biggest challenge, at least his biggest since Friedgen put him in on the last play of the first half in Morgantown. Friedgen's fault, not Danny's.

Here's a tip, things will be coming at you that fast this week too Danny. So, if the OL protects his butt, and he has a quick release, and is accurate as he has been, and doesn't turn the ball over, and we get a D stop or two, or even better a turnover or two, and the refs don't screw us.......we have a chance.

Just remember this....Maryland players.....your Sagarin rating is 51 points higher than Clemson, AND YOU ARE 15 POINT UNDERDOGS! Want respect? Stand up and get it. 'Cause it won't be an easy game. Nope. Not at all. Swagger is earned.

And to all my football friends down in Clemson......comin' at ya bubba.

Posted by: steven09 | October 12, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

It's nice to know how fans feel about the Clemson and WVU fans,I too, find them both cordial, but what does that have to do with the question?? It's the team that has to play at Death Valley this week..Is this going to be harder than at WVU?? Hopefully Ralph and Franklin will have the team BETTER prepared for this one, than they did for WVU...Clemson is just like us sometimes, you never know what you're gonna get that day... GO TERPS !!

Posted by: frostanna | October 13, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Long time ago, but, I was at 1985 game at Clemson when Ferrel Edmunds caught a controversial touchdown pass late in the game for a win. At a restaurant that night a Clemson fan spit at me when we sat down next to them and I said "great game huh?". My bad; a friend living down there had warned me to keep my mouth shut. I still remember it was a great atmosphere with orange everywhere and tail gate parties all over the town.

Posted by: erniegogo | October 13, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

It is one thing to be nerdy enough to post on a message board, but you have to be a complete loser to post on the board of the opposing teams.

As for the question, WVU must be a harder environment since we win in Death Valley more often (recently).

Posted by: garrett4 | October 13, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Does it really matter which environment is more hostile? The question itself demonstrates the state of our program. What exactly are we hoping for this year? Mediocrity seems to be the goal of most people. Isn't that sad?

Posted by: petecard | October 13, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

BBurns,
Please refer to the top of the page where it says "Terrapin Insider". That means it is a Terps forum.

Posted by: aviscardo | October 13, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

What exactly are we hoping for this year?

Posted by: petecard | October 13, 2010 9:40 AM
--------------------------

I'm hoping that the black cloud of pessimism will stop following you around one day.

I'm hoping that one day you will explain how 4-1 is mediocre.

I'm hoping you can explain how a discussion regarding hostile environments demostrates we have a mediocre program?

I'm hoping you post more regularly. It's much more fun when you're around raining on everyone's parade.

And lastly, I'm hoping we win a championship in football or basketball soon (which we will). I'll throw a big party and invite all the T.I. regulars and you can come too. And we can pretend you were supportive of the team all along and we can all celebrate and have a good time. And you can finally feel like you are a part of something. And you will no longer feel the need to criticize everything or cry yourself to sleep everynight listening to Sinead O'Connor songs. And then we will move on to the next Donnie Downer and try to fix him too.

Because hope is putting faith into something when doubting it would be easier.

Posted by: fushezzi | October 13, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Greatest Fushezzi post. Ever.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Great post Fushezzi. I am demanding and I have high standards. But you should understand that I root for the team, especially the players. I have serious issues as a fan and alum with our lack of commitment to excellence. I the case of both basketball and football it is with recruiting and talent. I blame the coaches and the athletic department for that. In the case of football I also have an issue with the coaching. And your comment about 4-1... cmon! The Navy win was fine, if quite flucky. The WVA loss and the way we started the game makes my points about the talent and the coaches. The other wins are simply nothing to brag about. See me after the Clemson game....
Don't confuse criticism and a realistic assessment of where we stand with a lack of caring.

Posted by: petecard | October 14, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse