Poll: How many games does Friedgen need to win to keep job?

I was planning to post some reaction from Boston College’s news conferences yesterday, but none of the quotes were that good. So let's cut to the main issue this season: We’re entering a critical two-game stretch for this Maryland team. Boston College and Wake Forest are teams with losing records, teams that these Terrapins really need to beat. Six games remain. Three are against formidable teams. Three are against struggling teams. In your view, how many regular season games does Ralph Friedgen need to win to retain his job. Remember, I said regular season wins – not counting a bowl victory.

By Eric Prisbell  | October 20, 2010; 8:16 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: AD Kevin Anderson to Earn $401,015; More for Success On, Off Field
Next: Penalties remain a concern for Friedgen

Comments

I admit I am bias and would like to see RF go so I voted for 10 knowing he never would make it. Unless the fans boycott or the alumni association quits backing him I don't see it happening.

Posted by: MARKHAGNER | October 20, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

You went into so much detail regarding Anderson's compensation and yet you stop short of researching the most relevant factor in answering this ridiculous poll question. Who cares what TI posters think about how many games the Fridge needs to win. How about ASKING ANDERSON and perhaps a few others in the AD? Why not use your own insight into the way Anderson thinks and his priorities to provide a few thoughts on the subject. Of course he won't come right out and tell you, but as a reporter you must be trying to do something more meaningful to get at what it will take than to poll the TI posters. How about starting with some budgetary considerations? After all, the budget seems to matter much more than performance. Why not explore Anderson's thoughts on winning as a means of raising revenue? Is that just a concept for him or does he really believe that winning is important. I don't mean simply winning enough to be bowl eligible and satisfying "Barno and the Mediocres," I mean really being a regular factor in the conference and nationally. C'mon... give us more.

Posted by: petecard | October 20, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

We know Anderson's answers before he gives them. He is evaluating all coaches, as he always will, and of course RF is among the coaches he is evaluating. He wants to grow revenue, and nothing grows revenue like winning. Yes, he is looking at the budget, to see what level is most appropriate for Terrapin athletics moving forward.

Posted by: EdDC | October 20, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Let me be the first to actually answer Prisbell's questions: I'd be real happy with 7-5 this year. It would show a marked turnaround from last year and I believe the Terps would be in contention for the ACCCG next year. For the first time since McBrien it seems like the Terps have a future star at QB. Anyway you put it, to succeed in FB, you need a QB who can put it where he wants it. Fridge hasn't had that in a while.

Posted by: aviscardo | October 20, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

What do Maryland fans want? That question is tough to answer. Some want a BCS and national title. Others seem to enjoy being an average-to-mediocre team in a weak BCS conference that strolls triumphantly to the Emerald Bowl or the legendary Champ Sports Bowl.

So, how many games should RF win to keep his job? It depends on who you ask and what they want. If RF wins 7 games, I think he should stay for another year. If he doesn't win 7 games this year, I think it's time for a change.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 20, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

This is for sirpelleas, petecard, terpfanMA and all the others who ignorantly mock the bowls that MD has been to over the years:

Unless you make a BCS bowl, you do not control what bowl game you go to even with a very good record. In 2006 and 2008, 9 and 8 win seasons respectively for the Terps, MD was in first place in their ACC division very late in the season. Yet thanks to the economy, the NCAA made their decisions not entirely based on how successful your season was, but based on proximity of the school to the bowl location. Another factor was how well your school travels. It's not all about how great your regular season is anymore that determines which bowl you go to. A case could have been made in either of those seasons for the Terps to be in the Peach bowl, Gator bowl, etc. Maybe if the Petecards, TerpfanMAs of the world actually traveled to previous MD bowl games we'd have a better shot at landing a big time bowl when we are in contention for one.

Most fans realize this. But for some reason sirpelleas, petecard, terpfanMA etc can't grasp this very simple concept. I guess it goes over their heads. And not surprisingly, they are also the ones who mock our attendance numbers--yet they don't even go to the games. Again, how they can't see how ridiculous and absurdly hypocritical their attacks are is beyond me.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 20, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Message to Petecard,

From Boswell's column today:

A mountain of "no fun" is quickly piling up on top of the Yankees. For two straight nights their fans have absolutely abandoned them before their last turn at bat, leaving the Big Ballpark almost 90 percent empty. It's an unthinkable, unworthy sight. If the Yankees are coming up small, their fans are invisible. When the unfaithful get this annoyed, scapegoats will be found.

Seriously? Your team is in the ALCS an y'all are leaving before last-ups? Unacceptable, especially the cost of seats at the stadium.

Had to ask. Hope all is well otherwise. And if Ralph Melish is living in socal then welcome back. You are even more missed on the RI from what I can tell (from Moe's posts).

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 20, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Barno once again makes all the excuses and takes all the shots without knowing anything about what my or others attendance records are. He is a tribute to McCarthyism. I like SirPelleas' answer. He was honest. He realizes that a large segment of fans are content to be mediocre and they really don't care about winning. They are like Barno. Pay the coach 2MM+ to get us to a bowl... any bowl.

Posted by: petecard | October 20, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Petecard, you haven't been to a game in years...you have admitted this in the past. But you refuse to answer a very simple question: When was the last time you actually attended a Maryland football or basketball game at the University of Maryland? If it has been more than 10 years, why are you even commenting on this page?

Posted by: Barno1 | October 20, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Realistically, now that I think about it more, Ralph probably only needs 6 wins to stay. If he gets to a bowl, it'll be damn hard for the new AD Andersen to justify paying $3M ($2M Fridge, $1M Franklin) to get rid of him when his contract expires next year.

Posted by: aviscardo | October 20, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Barno: Forget all the bowl nonsense..its irrelevant to many fans...what we want, what we demand is a COMPETITIVE Football team!!!! Not one that beats Duke by 5 points and rolls over Morgan State to be 4-2 and have everybody crow about how good we are....this team stinks! even though the record is 4-2...when we go toe to toe with WVU, Clemson, Miami, FSU, VaTech, then I will be happy...again, let me be very clear...we dont have to win all those games but it is disgusting how large the gap is between their programs and ours...yesterday I posted a comparison between Beamers 1st 9 years and the Fridges...you couldnt get it but it shows the difference between a winning coach and a mediocre also ran who both happen to recruit in the same geographic area....and before you open your press guide and start pulling out the specific wins against the teams listed above from different points in history, I am talking about every year...every single time we step on the field with those teams we had better be "IN THE GAME" well into the 4th quarter...this team is a joke and has been for anumber of years....it is riddled with poor attitude, poor coaching, poor tackling, poor fundamentals, poor scoring, penalties, turnovers etc, etc etc....I like Danny Obrien and it appears that he has captured the hearts of many on the board but his breakout game was against Morgan State.....um since then, he managed to lead the offense to what 14 points against Duke and had 3 interceptions and 1 TD against Clemson.....

Posted by: TerpfanMA | October 20, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I did enjoy the Peach Bowl and Gator Bowl. Seriously though, what's wrong with wanting more than that? Yep, that qualifies me as a hater.

Let's be more abstract. I like to think that employment is based on results. If you don't get the results the company's looking for, then you lose your job. So again, it comes down to what the company wants. Does the company want average/mediocre performance?

Yes or no? The answer should be obvious.

Barno - a bowl game would be a good turnaround compared to last season. But the school deserves better and they can do better.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 20, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

And yes, I know he did not throw the TD pass in the clemson game...I am giving him credit for leading the scoring drive

Posted by: TerpfanMA | October 20, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

If this question needs to be asked, then the answer is simple.. It doesn't matter.. Take away the 1st three years, and Fridge has a losing record.. The school has invested alot in Ralph, everything he wanted, he's practically got..Don't blame the economy on those half filled suites..The alumni doesn't care about the program, or those would be full with a waiting list..Fact is this, Maryland is Maryland.. You have your 20,000 fans, plus whatever students you get.. After that, if the teams not winning, no one's coming, PERIOD!!!See ya 9:30 on the 30th.. Go Terps !!

Posted by: frostanna | October 20, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Ruff, ruff, I'm Dixon the rocking dog.

The Terps are at their pinnacle as a program right now. The Fridge has resurrected our program from terribleness and brought it up to mediocre. Kudos for him. I say elect him to public office. He's that much of a living God. I'll take 6-7 wins every year over what the previous coaches brought to the table. All hail mediocrity. And to those "fans" that want to bash the program for being medicore, just settle down. Why would you want the Terps to be the cream of the crop, year in and year out? Nobody wants to strive for greatness, we all want mediocrity. Plus we all know "real" fans go to every Terps game for every sport. If you don't go to games you are not a "real" fan. Period!!!!!! Oh and it's definitely the economy's fault that the Terps have been snubbed for bigger bowl games, I have proof.

Again, I'm Dixon, the awesome, LIVING dog.

And if anyone disagrees with me I'll either call you childish names and insults or even better I'll do everything I can to get you banned from this site.

Oh, and Vinny Cerrato is the best GM the Redskins have ever had. He'll be inducted into Canton one day, you just watch, along with Jason Campbell.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | October 20, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Poopy McPoop and Ralph McPoop both got banned. Hahaha. Though not as funny is Poopy's new name which apparently is making fun of Barno's dog that was killed.

This guy needs to get a life, a girlfriend, or something. Or just chill out on the creepy cyber stalking.

Posted by: jj94_Terp | October 20, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned Ralph doesn't have to win another game ever again. He, right now, should be made Terp football coach for life!!!!

Than after he decides to hang 'em up, he should be made President of UMD.

Go Fridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DixonTheDog | October 20, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Yep, that is Poopy alright..making fun of my dead dog.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 20, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

now barno, I'll say this. It's terribly unfortunate to hear about your dog. I almost wanted to make a joke about it (just to really, really rile you up and be a jerk) but thought better because I know when my dog goes I'll cry like a baby.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 20, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Time to lock this thread.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 20, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Fushezzi's Four Downs:

1. The Terps are a mediocre program. For most of my life they were a below average program. I'll consider this year a step forward and I'm willing to give Ralph a chance as long as his teams improve. If he drops another 2-10 season on us then he's gone. But please, don't give the job to Franklin or.....

2. Mike Leach. Please stop bringing up his name for the position. He is vastly overrated. In ten seasons he's finished .500 or worse five times and only managed to win double digit games one season. He is not an upgrade.

3. I'm predicting 6-7 wins this season; 8-9 wins next season and 9+ the following. Ralph has (seemingly) a legit QB....now do something with it.

4. How awesome are the Terps black basketball jerseys? November 8th can't get here soon enough.

Posted by: fushezzi | October 20, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Leach....he's finished .500 or worse IN CONFERENCE five times.

Posted by: fushezzi | October 20, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Fridge has to win 6 games and make a bowl. That is the bar that Debbie Yow set last year when last season ended. Remember? So, that is the answer to the poll: 6. I personally think it should be 7 games, but that is not what Yow said.

I will chip in a few bucks if they can get rid of Franklin. I am pretty sure we can raise a million if we are guaranteed by the new AD that he is gone. Worst offensive coordinator ever.

Posted by: this_guy | October 20, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

He's done it. Barno's finally done it. He has officially driven Poopy insane. Sorry Poop. You lose.

Posted by: aviscardo | October 20, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Gotta agree with fushezzi on the new unis. NEVER gave a crap about MD's uniforms one or the other. The BlackOuts and Gold Rushes don't register with me - I really never cared whether the colors were red and white or black and gold. Ok, so I am more used to red and white but MD's kinda an odd school with its multiple color choices. The new Uniforms rock.

I would assume that at least one recruit gives a crap about uniforms and would factor a smooth look into his decision.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 20, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Ralph WILL win 6 games and the school WILL get invited to a bowl. I think we are all assuming wins at BC and vs WFU. But 6-2 still won't be good enough for most fans, and understandably so. He's got to get to 8 wins to be successful - by definition he will have beaten at least one of the schools who we really haven't done well against recently. That one big win will do alot to move the few subpar seasons and one truly crappy season further away in the rearview. Regardless, there will be no buy-out for RF. Its a decision that will be made somewhere during next season.

Letting Ralph coach through his contract but NOT elevating Franklin (Paying $1M) is the right answer for the program and its what is going to happen. New AD and president kinda have their hands tied on this issue. $3M isn't going to come flying through the door unless the FB team wins out and the stands get packed - in which case you start working on Fridge's extension.

Opinions are diametrically opposed and aren't going to change until the Miami game which is the next meaningful game on the schedule. But I do agree with one statement above: "when we go toe to toe with WVU, Clemson, Miami, FSU, VaTech, then I will be happy." Want to see a return to glory for the program as well. RF is our coach - barring some weird other circumstance like some rich alum giving $3m for the sole purpose of getting rid of him and JF - through the next two season. I wish him all the success in the world and hope that this team exceeds all expectations.

One thing to note: Not many negative incidents with the team since he took the helm. I've not heard anything negative about grad %, a ton of arrests, drugs, etc.
We should all appreciate that at least a small bit. DOB needs experience and needs to show he can score against BC. Thats all I need to see this weekend.

Now that I've thought about it Petecard, when I lived in NYC, I always left Yankees games a little early...but I'm not a Yankee fan. When I go see the Os I stay for the entire game.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 20, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Haven't seen the new uniforms yet, but my first thought is are they going to reduce player visibility? Something to be said for bright gold or red when a quick unloading is needed...

Posted by: MrScrotums | October 20, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

MrScrotums

Cut and paste this link into your browser to see the new jerseys.

And here's some other Terps basketball news (via Testudotimes)

2010-11 ACC Basketball Predicted Order of Finish

1. Duke
2. Virginia Tech
3. North Carolina
4. NC State
5. Florida State
6. Maryland
7. Clemson
8. Miami
9. Georgia Tech
10. Boston College
11. Virginia
12. Wake Forest

2010-11 ACC Preseason All-Conference Team
Kyle Singler, Duke (unanimous)
Malcolm Delaney, Virginia Tech
Nolan Smith, Duke
Tracy Smith, NC State
Chris Singleton, Duke

Posted by: fushezzi | October 21, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link, fushezzi. They do look sharp. As for the predictions, hard to say how the terps will do at this point. With the new talent and the summer weight training, I'm expecting better than 5th. But we haven't seen them play yet.

Posted by: MrScrotums | October 21, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I meant to say "better than 6th," but actually I am expecting better than 5th.

Posted by: MrScrotums | October 21, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

HughG,

Sorry for not responding earlier but only noticed your comment this AM. No one has to worry about Yankee fans, especially a WaPo reporter. When people leave a game early in NY it is for two reasons: 1) Their commute home isn't easy 2) the team isn't a bunch of pansies who will be offended or hurt by the high expectations of their fans. This is NY and we are Yankee fans. We really don't give a rat's behind about what other fans of other teams think. This will be a very hard concept for people in the DC/Baltimore area to grasp...

As always, good to hear from you HughG.

Posted by: petecard | October 21, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I would just like to welcome DixonTheDog to TI. Hope all is well in CA. Look forward to your regular posts. This site needs regular doses of reality!

Posted by: petecard | October 21, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

As always, good to hear from you HughG.

Posted by: petecard | October 21, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's a Jersey thing.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 21, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Barno1 said

" Unless you make a BCS bowl, you do not control what bowl game you go to even with a very good record. In 2006 and 2008, 9 and 8 win seasons respectively for the Terps, MD was in first place in their ACC division very late in the season. Yet thanks to the economy, the NCAA made their decisions not entirely based on how successful your season was, but based on proximity of the school to the bowl location. Another factor was how well your school travels. It's not all about how great your regular season is anymore that determines which bowl you go to. A case could have been made in either of those seasons for the Terps to be in the Peach bowl, Gator bowl, etc"

This may be relavent if Maryland finished in the top three in the ACC in 2006 and 2008, but they did not. 2008 they finished the regular season 4-4 in the ACC and 8-5 overall including a loss to Mid Tenn St. In 2006 they finished the regular season 8-4 and 5-3 in conference. Georgia Tech and Wake Forest had better conference records and beat them. Virginia Tech had a better conference record and BC had the same conference record and beat Maryland. They did not deserve to go to the Gator or Peach Bowls in either of those two seasons.

Posted by: Chief2 | October 21, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 said

Posted by: Chief2 | October 21, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Nice try Chief2. Um, Clemson went to the Gator bowl in 2008. We beat them on their own turf, had a better overall record AND had the same exact conference record, yet they were chosen for the Gator bowl because of proximity and because they travel better. It's not all about your record anymore.

That is the exact point I was making. If the SirPelleas, Petecards, TerpfanMAs etc of the world actually went to MD games rather than just attacking the program all the time, we'd have a better chance at getting a big name bowl when we are in contention for one.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 21, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Barno, I will keep my expectations for UMD and its $2M joke of a coach high, thank you very much!
I know with the right coach we can be a competitive program and I will not be happy about UMD football until we get a coaching staff and players that will enable us to go toe to toe with the other competitive programs..WVU, VaTech, Miami, FSU, Clemson..and that means EVERY TIME we step on the field with them, we better be IN THE GAME deep into the 4th Q with a chance to win.....

What Fridge has created after 10 years here is a team riddled with poor fundamentals, leading the league in penalties, poor offensive production, lousy tackling etc etc etc...one that is so poor in fact that we have to sched Morgan State, Del, James Madison, Akron etc every year just to struggle to get to the OliveGardenNeverEndingPastaBowl just so you and all the other supporters of mediocrity can claim success.....

Your standards for UMD are far too low and I will never reduce mine to your level, no matter how many names you call and false accusations you make

GO TERPS...Can the Fridge!

Posted by: TerpfanMA | October 21, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

So many unrealistic expectations for FB and BB from TI participants. I'm not sure there is a direct correlation between winning and income from Maryland football (but I haven't searched for supporting data - Barno may have those data at his fingertips?). I recall that college Park attendance during sainted 'Sunny' Jim Tatum's regime of top ten teams was often much less than 30K. Then as now, most Maryland students commuted to CP. Obligatory student fees ($25 a semester) largely supported intercollegiate athletics then, because state money could not be used, by law. Competition for non-student, paid attendance at FB games is keen because of nearby professional and collegiate teams. In my view, Maryland intercollegiate success is well above mediocre and given the circumstances a good deal better than we might expect on objective criteria.

Posted by: AncientTerp | October 21, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

TerpfanMA, the level of your sheer stupidity has reached a point where it is nearly impossible to even argue with you. You are completely and utterly detached from reality. There is not a Terp fan alive on the face of the earth that was "satisfied" with the 5-6 seasons or the 6-7 season or the 2-10 season. Not one. The fact that you somehow believe the diehard Terps fans on here are okay with seasons like those shows just how big of an imbecile you truly are.

And oh yeah, how come you refuse to answer this simple question: When was the last time you actually attended a Maryland game?

Posted by: Barno1 | October 21, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Barno, I never disputed that the bowls select teams out of order, such as Clemson in the 2008 Gator Bowl, However, Maryland certainly did not have any claim to go to a better bowl in 2008. Maryland finished the regular season at 7-5 and 4-4 conference record with a two game losing streak including a horrible home blowout loss to FSU. Virginia Tech, BC, FSU and Georgia Tech had better overall records and ACC records than Maryland and Maryland was 0-3 combined against the Virginia Tech, BC, FSU and Georgia Tech. BC or FSU deserved to go to the Gator bowl instead of Clemson, not Maryland.

Posted by: Chief2 | October 22, 2010 5:41 AM | Report abuse

Chief2, that still doesn't change the fact that the team that went to the Gator bowl had a worse season than MD and lost to MD.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 22, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Barno said " A case could have been made in either of those seasons for the Terps to be in the Peach bowl, Gator bowl, etc."

My point is that in no way were they deserving to go the Gator or Peach bowl in 2006 or 2008. In fact in 2006 they were not deserving of going to the Champ Bowl but were chosen over BC because BC travels so poorly.

Posted by: Chief2 | October 22, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse