What DeSouza's injury means for Maryland against Boston College

It goes without saying that the primary concern of everyone associated with Maryland athletics involves the health of Pete DeSouza, the redshirt freshman who suffered two broken legs in Thursday night’s on-campus motor scooter accident. The driver of the car that hit DeSouza was issued a citation for "failure to yield right of way," university police said, and the accident remains under investigation.

But Maryland still will make its way to Boston today without its starting right tackle for a game tomorrow against Boston College. And an offensive line that has been a work in progress all season just got thinner and more inexperienced. Coaches worried throughout camp about offensive line depth. And halfway through the season two linemen, Justin Gilbert and DeSouza, are out for the season.

What does Coach Ralph Friedgen do? Nick Klemm, a redshirt freshman, is listed as DeSouza’s backup. But don’t be surprised if Friedgen instead opts to move left tackle R.J. Dill back to right tackle and let touted true freshman Max Garcia make his debut as the starting left tackle. Friedgen has been impressed with Garcia, and it has seemed like only a matter of time before he played this season. Now remember, Boston College is 12th nationally in tackles for loss and 10th against the run, so this will be a significant subplot in a game that some Maryland players have called a must win.

You’ve got two young quarterbacks. Both teams may have trouble moving the ball. Maryland has concerns on special teams and with penalties. All that said, I’m not going to change my prediction. The Terrapins finally get over the hump in this one and break the 10-game road losing streak.

Maryland 21, Boston College 20.

Your thoughts?

By Eric Prisbell  | October 22, 2010; 10:40 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pete DeSouza suffers two broken legs in scooter accident
Next: Expect Fulper at center, Pinegar at right tackle

Comments

Somehow, TerpfanMA and Petecard will find a way to blame this on Friedgen.

I feel bad for DeSouza but this may actually improve our offensive line play. He was not playing well of late and now I am very curious to see what the true freshman can do.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 22, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Fridge was driving the car!

Posted by: TerpfanMA | October 22, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Actually, this lines up perfectly with Fridge/Barno 3 best excuses if we happen to go up there and lose...

1. Injuries
2. Youth
3. Penalties

Cant wait to see these 2 powerhouses sputter and flounder against each other...it will be like 2 infants fighting over a 2' tickle- me -elmo

Posted by: TerpfanMA | October 22, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

TerpfanMA,

this isn't a prediction, but what if we win this game and next week's too against Wake? If we do, we'd be 3-1 in the ACC and have some momentum for the final stretch. If that happens, will you still come on here every day and attack Fridge and the program? Will you just make the usual, tired argument that our wins were against weak competition (despite the fact that we don't control our ACC schedule)?

Just curious as to what you'll say if we win these next 2 games.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 22, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Weren't a few folks complaining about DeSouza's play after the Clemson game. It truly sucks for him and the team, but the team has to win against BC or else those first four victories are diminished. Klemm or Garcia has to step up. What it does mean is that there is added lustre to a victory against BC - this is a huge loss late in the week without enough time to prepare. Hopefully both Klemm and Garcia have been getting plenty of reps in practice.

AND Yes, burn the f-g red shirt if it can help us win now. If it was a student who hit him......

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 22, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Dude...I fully EXPECT us to win these 2 games, just like I expected us to win against Duke and Morgan State...my point is that while you crow about the W/L stats, we are a pretty poor football team...now, if you can give me 4 or 5 teams in the top 40 that we would beat you might be on to something....punting seems to be a perennial bright spot on a fridge coached team...perhaps he can get a job as punt coordinator for PSU or Michigan...definitely more his level...in the meantime we waddle in the land of mediorcrity....wonder what the combined records are of Wake and BC? ..hmmmmmmm

Posted by: TerpfanMA | October 22, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Just looked it up...BC and Wake are a combined 4 wins and 9 lossess...they managed to beat Kent State, Weber State, Presbytarian, and Duke....and we are still 4 PT Dogs to BC!!! Dang! Why doesnt UMD get any respect??????

Posted by: TerpfanMA | October 22, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Another tough break. I can only imagine how the coaches and players feel now. Being a Terp fan the last two years has been akin to re-writing The Book of Job. What next?

Best wishes for a quick recovery to Pete DeSouza. You idiots with your comments about a red shirt freshman need to be banned from College Park forever, GROW UP! The kid has two broken legs and is in the hospital for crying out loud

Posted by: stevestegman | October 22, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey TerphaterMA,

Are you ever positive about the Terps? I'm all for speaking your mind but, how about a little support for your team/alma mater? Jeez.

I didn't go to UMD but, growing up in NoVA I have been a fan all my life. If they finish 5-7 or worse, I'm OK with a change however, until then I wish for nothing but the best for Fridge to turn this thing around.

You're probably rooting against the Terps just so Fridge will get fired.

About you get on board for a change and root the Terps on?

Posted by: Section505203 | October 22, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevestegman | October 22, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Didn't get this comment at all. No one is being insensitive to DeSouza. He broke his legs and that is terrible...I'm sure everyone who reads this blog, even the Terps haters, feel bad for the kid. But broken bones happen in football all the time. According to you, is it only permissible for the commenters on here--not to mention Eric Prisbell--to talk about DeSouza's replacement if his injuries occur on the football field?

What a strange and bizarre comment Steve.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 22, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Also, I don't think anyone would be commenting on his replacement if he had suffered life-threatening injuries.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 22, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Terps win 17-14. I think we will get our running game going this week and DaRel will break out. Go Terps!

Posted by: aviscardo | October 22, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

well, it's the 4:00 hour...any minute now Poopy McNerd will go on his lunch break and find a computer that he hasn't yet been banned on to post his daily comment making fun of my dead dog.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 22, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

An offensive lineman riding a scooter. Hmmmm....

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 22, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to say 27-13 Terps, and the offense has little trouble with this overratted defense.

Posted by: Russtinator | October 22, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

'IF WE WIN', that's where are program is.. 'IF'.. Kinda sad... Go Terps !!!!

Posted by: frostanna | October 22, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Actually my first thought wasn't to blame the Fridge. I suspected that the young man was reading the TI on his iPhone while driving through campus. He was trying to catch up on his hero, Barno, and all the great things Barno does to stick up for the program. Now, Barno, let me remind you that one can think the Terps will not win a game, or any games, and still root for them to win and be happy when they do. I don't think they will win either game, but I will be hoping they do. It's just that my rational thought process and my heart are not the same organ. I will bow out here because I don't want to give Dixon any ideas about writing something about organ confusion...

Posted by: petecard | October 22, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

"Now, Barno, let me remind you that one can think the Terps will not win a game, or any games, and still root for them to win and be happy when they do."

Petecard, this goes without saying. Contrary to Poopy's asinine comments, I don't think I've ever taken exception with anyone predicting a loss on any given game. If you think we're going to lose both these games, that's fine. That in and of itself doesn't make you any less a fan. I know you actually root for the Terps Petecard, as much as we argue. I just think you are way too negative ALL THE TIME with both the bball and fball programs. Last year was a great time to be a terp bball fan, but you didn't seem to take any pleasure in the 13-3 conference record and share of the ACC title. It all meant nothing to you because some kid hit a fluke 3 pointer at the buzzer to knock us out of the tourney. In your mind, that wiped out all the great times from the previous 5 1/2 months of the season.

We all wish we could've made the sweet 16 last year, but the difference between you and the rest of us is that for you, that 1 loss erases all that was achieved during the season. You are hard wired to be negative and pessimistic it seems.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 22, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Barno, I did enjoy the season last year and, since you save all my posts you can find some that are decidedly positive. We simply have a different way of evaluating success and seasons. I place much more emphasis on the NCAA Tournament than you do. I dont care how we lose. A loss is a loss. We would win much more with better talent. That aside, don't worry about me. I have fun being honest about how I feel and I take pride in making the case for striving for higher levels of success. It's the Yankee way!

Posted by: petecard | October 22, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

How y'all get to start talking basketball on a football blog is beyond me??? By the way petecard, Go Rangers...

Posted by: frostanna | October 22, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Should someone who not attending the game tomorrow be allowed to comment on it? Just curious what the rules are here...

Cheers

By the way, I will be there!!!!

Posted by: TerpfanMA | October 22, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

This isn't a football blog it is a Terps blog. And, if you look at our history in the top two sports in college athletics, it maybe ought to be more of a basketball blog. The action during the BB season is much more fervent. There is room for discussion about anything Terrapin on this site, except perhaps about Debbie Yow's favorite sport, Cheerleading!

Posted by: petecard | October 22, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

TerpfanMA, are you actually going to the game tomorrow? if so, good job and hold it down for those of us stuck down here. I was there at BC during the 06 debacle. Bout time we finally won a game up there.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 22, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Was up there in 06 too.. Don't try to sneak anything in there to drink.. They work those stands there pretty hard.. Don't they know that we sometimes need a little snip to watch out Terps...

Posted by: frostanna | October 22, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

TerphaterMA,

Hopefully you actully root for the Terps instead of BC, you D-Bag.

Oh and F the Evil Empire. 200+ million can't buy you happiness or a championship.

Posted by: Section505203 | October 23, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Keep it classy section505....keep it classy...oh and I am not a yankee fan so not sure what the rest of your rant refers to....heading to the game now

Posted by: TerpfanMA | October 23, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

If the MA in TerpfanMA refers to Massachusetts, it would explain a lot.

Posted by: garrett4 | October 23, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

My ISP doesn't offer ESPN3. Does anyone have a link where I can watch the game?

Posted by: SmittyATL | October 23, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse