What's been the biggest surprise with Maryland's turnaround?

Hello, everyone. I just finished writing the final version of my Maryland-Wake Forest game story. I wrote three tonight because of different deadlines. Some quick hitters from after the game:

James Franklin plans to call Pete DeSouza and tell him he’s going to the bowl game.

Ralph Friedgen text messaged all players after Thursday’s NC State-FSU game, telling them that if they want an ACC title they have to beat Wake Forest. On Friday, in a two-minute meeting, he asked them if they were pretenders or contenders.

Maryland held Wake to minus-three rushing yards, the first time it has held a team to negative yards since 2001. Maryland also rushed for more yards than it has in its previous three ACC games combined.

Danny O’Brien threw for a career-high four TD passes and set a Maryland freshmen record for completions (95) in a season.

Friedgen didn’t really touch two questions (one from me) about what this turnaround has meant to him personally.

Maryland is now in the hunt for a division title.

I haven’t heard any further word on Jacory Harris’s injury. Will post it if I get an update.

But what’s been the biggest surprise for you with this Maryland team?

By Eric Prisbell  | October 30, 2010; 9:08 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps Fast, Fleet in Scrimmage
Next: Miami's Jacory Harris might not play against Maryland

Comments

In my house there are two Miami Hurricanes, my wife and my son. I am a big fan. But next week we Terps have a chance to make a statement. There is every reason to believe we can win. I just hope the team treats this visit to South Florida as a business trip and not a chance to take their talents to South Beach!

Posted by: petecard | October 31, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Oct. 16, 2010 - TERRAPIN INSIDER: How Many More Games Will Maryland Win This Season?
-----------------------

Is there a reason you didn't offer the choice of ZERO?

What a farce.

Posted by: petecard | October 17, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 31, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Well Barno, I hate to bust your chops, but where was your alumni yesterday.. 39,000 for homecoming, that is SAD..Thought you said all of the alumni was behind this program.. Guess they were behind it out in the tailgate lots.. Coming to meet old friends, drinking cold tasty beverages, and taking up normal tailgaters spots really is, backing the program.. I was on Lot 9B at 9:10, at 9:30 there were people there who hadn't been all year.. You can tell who the one time a year ones are, and not many of them go to the games...Just a shame to see all those empty seats.. Makes recruiting tough.
Now, that being said, what a game yesterday..Terps were ready to play, and dominated.. Someone please explain the personal foul call on Chism on that 4th down play.. That was a textbook football play..Terrible call..I'll be down in Miami, let's hope we can bring home a win... Go Terps !!!!

Posted by: frostanna | October 31, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

If people go to the tailgate but not the game, they missed the most complete game we have played all year.

Even though the haters will point to the quality of opponents, there was a lot of good to take from the game. Our D held a Wake team that ran for 250+ yards @ VT to -1 rushing yards. I will take a 6-2 start every season.

I couldn't clearly see the Chism penalty from my seats, but it looked like BS on the board.

Posted by: garrett4 | October 31, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Barno, at the time that was my belief. Now things look a lot better. I have always been rooting for them, just not believing. We can all hope for a win next week, but let's not forget that the only win against a winning team was Navy, and DUKE beat Navy yesterday. Not to take away from the great showing yesterday, but we have four very difficult games left on the schedule. Let's hope the team can focus and not let yesterday go to their heads. I mean after all, Ralph is near tears... that's a little concerning....

Posted by: petecard | October 31, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frostanna | October 31, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I never said that. And I disagree about 39,000 fans hurting recruiting. That number surprised me a little by the way...the entire lower bowl was packed and the upper deck looked about 40-50% filled. One factor I am curious about is whether we are still "papering" the games. Under Debbie Yow the program regularly gave away many tickets for free to various groups in part to raise the attendance numbers. I wonder if that is still going on this year.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 31, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

So the AD gives away 'many' free tickets to raise attendence numbers??? Does that not tell you that no one cares about this program??? Your defintion of packed must be different then mine.. I'm in the front row of the upper deck, I would not have called the lower bowl packed..If you're staisfied with a 40-50% filled upper deck, and not being sold out in a stadium that holds just over 50,000, fine.. But the number of alumni that live within a few hours of College Park should be filling up Byrd on a gorgeous Saturday when we have a winning team...Go Terps...
'

Posted by: frostanna | October 31, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

I think what the attendance tells you is that the jury is still out on UMD...very happy with Sats win, but UMD has still not proven they can compete with good teams...6 games against 2nd tier opponents, which we won, and 2 games so far against decent teams which blew us off the field....

I took a lot of heat earlier in the season when I said that Navy was NOT a "Top Caliber" opponent...well, I dont hear that anymore

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 1, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

The fact is we're winning the games we should win. If we keep doing that then we'll finish up with a nice bounce-back season. There's nothing wrong with winning 8 games. And as bad as we were last season, we haven't fallen as far as Wake. They're hardly a football team right now.

Posted by: M__N | November 1, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, we are beating "some" of the teams we should beat, but why shouldnt we beat WVU and Clemson? Take a closer look at the schools we have beaten...mostly they are private universities and have enrollments approx 1/10 the size of MDs...Duke, Navy, Wake Forest, Morgan State....UMD graduates more kids each year than make up their entire enrollment...Fridge has failed miserably in his 2 chances against good teams this year...this week he gets another shot against U Miami with their 3rd string QB...lets see what happens

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 1, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

All the football stuff aside, KUDOS to the Mighty Sound Of Maryland on Saturday.. Great job on Thriller.. Very entertaining...

Posted by: frostanna | November 1, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I think the lack of giveaways is the biggest surprise. They're plaing with a red-shirt freshman QB with an mediocre-at-best offensive line, and have not been turning the ball over. OBviously everything went worng in the Clemson and WVU games, but when this team takes care of the ball, they win. They're also not being passive, so it's not like they're not turning the ball over because they're not taking chances. That along with a defense that actually generates turnovers has been the biggest reason for Maryland success this season so far.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 1, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

'

Posted by: frostanna | October 31, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Frostanna, I definitely disagree with your statement that no one cares about Maryland football. Almost all of the MD attendance records have occurred since Friedgen took over. From your vantage point in the front row in the upper deck, you likely have a better view than I do of the lower bowl (I'm row 1 section 25 and from where I sit it looked packed). And no, I am definitely not satisified with only 40-50% of the upper deck being filled. I would imagine the FSU game will draw close to 50,000 fans if not more, but we'll see. You and I agree, the place should be packed on a nice day against an ACC opponent.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 1, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Russ, it all comes back to what Friedgen did this offseason in preaching over and over the importance of holding on to the football and doing countless drills to help improve ball security. Turnover margin was the biggest difference in our 2001 orange bowl season. Fridge got back to basics this past off season and it is paying big dividends now.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 1, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Barno, again I don't mean to bust on a passionte Terps fan, but packed was just the wrong choice of a word..Yes attendence records have been set under Fridge, but how far back are you going???
The serious question is how did you like the halftime show??? And no, I'm not a former band member...

Posted by: frostanna | November 1, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

As a former marching band member, I'm glad I never had to do that silly dance the two times they've done it.

It is refreshing to see the lack of turnovers from the offense, but I think as much has to do with the players handling the ball as the drills Fridge has run. Last year's QB tandem of Turner and Robinson just killed them with Turner trying to thread the ball into places he shouldn't and Robinson just not have the accuracy to effectively run the west coast. Also, the offensive line trouble from last year reasulted in far too many sack/fumbles that we aren't seeing this year because of better O-line play, and better QB play getting the ball away faster.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 2, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Frostanna, I said the lower bowl was packed, which it appeared from my vantage point. The upperdeck was a little less than half filled, obviously not packed up there when there's only 39,000 in attendance.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 2, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse