Your predictions for the Maryland-Duke game

Aside from the Morgan State game, this is the easiest game to pick all season: Maryland in a runaway. Duke’s defense can’t stop anyone. Maryland’s defense can at least stop opponents in the red zone. It’s a battle of two promising young quarterbacks, but Maryland’s Danny O’Brien has not yet shown that he is turnover prone. Duke’s Sean Renfree has seven interceptions this season. Maryland’s Tony Logan gives the Terrapins an advantage at punt return, as well. Duke was expected to regress this season, but the fall has been greater than anticipated. It will be a struggle for the Blue Devils to win another game.

Maryland 38, Duke 21

Your thoughts?

By Eric Prisbell  | October 1, 2010; 8:33 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Baltz a semifinalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy
Next: Notes from Maryland-Duke

Comments

I think the running game gets in gear, and Danny O'Brien can sit back and pick his spots. The defense will give up some big plays, but for the most part will keep Duke in check...28-10 Terps.

Posted by: Russtinator | October 1, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I have this sick feeling we are not gonna show up mentally for this game....We still have a whole heck of a lot to prove.

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | October 1, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | October 1, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I have this sick feeling we are not gonna show up mentally for this game. We still have a whole heck of a lot to prove....

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | October 1, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully the Terps will remember getting their butt handed to them in Durham last year! They had better show up and take care of business!

Posted by: sbf845 | October 1, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

You know, I'm really not sure what to predict here, but I'm optimistic and going for broke: Terps win big 42-17. Then the Fridge gets extra toppings and diarrhea.

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 1, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Consecutive losses to MTSU were embarrassing but consecutive losses to Duke in football would be a disaster of biblical proportions and would most likely represent Fridges exit interview...He knows this, the players know it and the fans know it....UMD wins by 24 pts!

I see tomorrows weather is 68 and sunny...is that about the right temperature for watching the game? Or is it still too warm?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | October 1, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chicobomba | October 1, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"Given the past history of Maryland-Duke games, I'm predicting I'm not going anywhere NEAR UMD - win or lose, the crowds out on Route 1 always cause trouble."

What's that supposed to mean? It's a 6 PM kickoff, meaning half the fans will already be on campus sometime between 2 and 4 for tailgating. The game will end sometime between 9 and 10, and I've rarely had trouble getting out during an evening game.

It's not like this is a Thursday night game against VaTech.

Posted by: Russtinator | October 1, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

This game has a "Wake Forest vs. Duke" feel to it. Both teams will give up plenty of yards - and especially in the air. In the end, Duke won't be able to keep up. Prediction: Maryland in a high scoring affair, 45-31.

Posted by: Terptwin | October 1, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Lamont Jorday will rush for 300 yards and 3 TDs, in a losing effort because the defense will give up 600 yards to Duke. Wait...that was 10 years ago but it still stings! And it was home coming.

Posted by: cool_beverage | October 1, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Terps 68 Duke 61

Sean Mosley scores 22pt and J. Williams gets 20 with 15 rebounds.

Posted by: fushezzi | October 1, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"Terps 68 Duke 61

Sean Mosley scores 22pt and J. Williams gets 20 with 15 rebounds"

...and Seth Curry wishes he had stayed at Liberty and Austin Rivers reconsiders his committment as Coach K looks even more like the Blue Devel mascot.

Posted by: Russtinator | October 1, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TerpfanMA | October 1, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I love how the guy who so obviously does not attend Maryland football games is mocking others for not attending last week. I didn't think it was possible for you to come off any more idiotic, but I was wrong.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

cool_bev,
You thinking about the VA game when Jordan went for 306 (McMullen dagger in the corner of the end zone)? Not homecoming, but a brutal loss that still stings.

Posted by: MerlinTerps | October 1, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Big blowout. Both QBs play well. MD D clamps down better than they have this year in terms of yards and points. Based on team speed alone I predict MD wins huge - 55-14 - and many still call for Fridge's head as he was unable to match the 62 points scored against Morgan State.

I disagree with the idea that MD comes out flat. I think they come out pumped and ready to get a conference win. They'll come out flat for some other game I am sure, just not tomorrow. And despite the nature of the victory and opponent, couches do not ignite in CP tomorrow evening.

regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 1, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Let's just hope the Terps decide to show up and win this game.. As for predicting the score, I'm more curious to see if barno's prediction of 40,000 plus will be correct... Tailgate starts at 12 Noon Lot 9B...

Posted by: frostanna | October 1, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Lots don't open til 1:00 frostanna, but I like your style.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Barno, perhaps you're in the hoidy toidy numbered Terrapin Club Lot 1.. But Terrapin Club Lot 9B opens six hours before kickoff, always has.. My math might be bad, but I think that means 12 Noon.. It was 6AM for the 12 Noon game last week...C'mon and join us for an hour before your lot opens...

Posted by: frostanna | October 1, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Duke 35, Maryland 34. Duke's defense is young but this is the game where they get it together. Turnovers killed Duke against Wake Forest and Army so the Blue Devils must take care of the football. Sean Renfree will throw several TD passes but it will be the Blue Devils ability to run the ball that makes the difference in this close game. Desmond Scott and Josh Snead will break a couple of big runs on the Terps defense.

Posted by: dukefan59 | October 1, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Just remember, "Duke" is a four-letter word...

Posted by: CapsNut | October 2, 2010 6:11 AM | Report abuse

my prediction is that most of the "experts" will not be at the game today....Terps win by more than 10.

Posted by: garrett4 | October 2, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Hey ejharris: Do you have a sick feeling the Terps won't show up? I DON'T. Terps win in a blowout: 45-21.

Posted by: aviscardo | October 2, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

dukefan59:

Duke's D gets it together? LMBFWHBO! The only time Duke's D gets it together is when they get together at the dinner table. I mean, they lost to Army, for cryin' out loud! But don't worry: basketball season is just around the corner.

Terps 45-21

Posted by: ecglotfelty | October 2, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

4-1....as some of us predicted. Where are the haters???? Oh that's right, they're back on the bandwagon and keeping their mouths shut...that is until our next loss.

Also there was a solid crowd there today considering the weaker opponent, and there were well over 40,000 (as some of us predicted).

The program is on the right track, we are in good shape going into the bye, and I wouldn't want anyone else leading the Terps right now than Ralph Friedgen.

Viva the Fridge.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the official attendance was 39,106...seemed more crowded than that tho. I didn't see any empties in the lower bowl and the student section was filled midway through the 1st quarter. That is not bad given the opponent. I expect closer to 45,000 for the next home game, even if the opponent is wake forest.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 3, 2010 1:51 AM | Report abuse

Another win! And, that's awesome ... we are 4-1 going into the bye week.

However, I am not convinced that we have put together a strong game plan to convincingly win any of the games that we have won. The opponents were weaker than us, and we still struggled mightly to put them away.

1/ In today's game, the offense was offensive. Danny played a subpar game. He made numerous errant throws, and missed wide open receivers. The running game struggled. Our 3rd down conversion was abysmal.

2/ Our bend but don't break defense really is crap. Yes, we do get turn overs ... However, we allow the opponents to remain in the game. The middle is soft and we need better plays from our LBs.

3/ Special team was outstanding.

James Franklin is so predictable, and his play calling is hilarious and pathetic simultaneously. The guy is a poor poor poor poor poor excuse for an offense coordinator.

Time for the Terps to get their act together, and come prepared to play MUCH STIFFER competition.

Cheers,
mi6

Posted by: mi6-007 | October 3, 2010 2:59 AM | Report abuse

A win is a win and MD did what they needed to do to win. That said, I am sure we'll be arguing about style points this week.
I did expect a lot more intensity out of the Terps in the early going.

I DID find myself wondering why Robinson did not play during the game...maybe buying into the "hot hand" approach that RF and JF have spoken about. In the end, glad they did not pull him.

Clemson is goig to be a good test for this team. Certain the Tigers are still mad about last year's upset. If the Terps go 5-1, then start the collection for the jF buyout. DOB actually did not do as terribly as his stats suggest. But the kid proved he is human after all. Was impressed by Duke's fortitude, I thought they would fold after the 3rd TD.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: hgr-terp1 | October 3, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

We beat Duke. Sweet. Biggest win of Ralph's career, easily. Champ Sports Bowl, here we come!!

Posted by: SirPelleas | October 3, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I predicted the Terps would go 4-1. I also predicted they would go 4-8. Enjoy your last win as a D1 Head Coach, Ralph.

Posted by: kingrob76 | October 3, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

SirPelleas, we're going to have to start putting you in the TerpfanMA/PoopyMcPoop/Carolina1 category if you keep this up. You clearly don't go to these games either and if you can't find enjoyment in 4-1, what is the point of even being a fan?

Posted by: Barno1 | October 3, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Herm Edwards: you play...to win...the game! 4-1 haters!

Posted by: aviscardo | October 3, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse