A big day for Maryland's Torrey Smith against Virginia

By Eric Prisbell

For nearly two months, Maryland receiver Torrey Smith struggled to fully regain his acceleration and cutting ability because of a nagging ankle injury. But Smith had a big day Saturday --- 216 all-purpose yards in the first half – and he said he got tackled on a 62-yard reception only because he was winded.

Covered by cornerback Devin Wallace, Smith caught the deep ball in the second quarter and cut across the field en route to the end zone. But Smith labored and Wallace caught him at the Virginia 7.

“I died,” Smith said. “I was just tired.”

Smith exploited Virginia’s one-on-one coverage all afternoon. He had more than 100 yards receiving with 12 minutes left in the second quarter and finished with a game-high 157 yards on seven receptions.

It was the sixth 100-yard receiving game of his career, which is tied for the fourth most in school history. His 12-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter gave him eight on the season, which is tied for the third most in a single season in school history.

Unless Smith is double-teamed, quarterback Danny O’Brien has no hesitation about throwing deep to his most dynamic playmaker.

“If it’s even,” O’Brien said, “I put it up.”

By Eric Prisbell  | November 13, 2010; 8:30 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Does Maryland's victory ensure Ralph Friedgen's return?
Next: How many ACC teams are better than Maryland?

Comments

A huge day for Torrey....and he even dropped a sure TD pass. We'll need him to catch those passes and not get winded these next two games. Without him 100%, we have no chance.

We got the team boys, we got the steam boys.......

Posted by: fushezzi | November 13, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Suck it Virginia. Maryland is superior in football, basketball, education, chess, rapping and traffic.

You do have nice ham.

Go terps!!!!

Posted by: splosive_sac | November 14, 2010 1:42 AM | Report abuse

If he stays one more year, we will be a problem offensively next year. He is a stud. My one thing, though, is that he hasn't been the same on returns. Whether it's health-related or not, maybe we should let Tony Logan have a crack at it. Logan is one of our most dynamic playmakers, I wish we could find ways to get him the ball more.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | November 14, 2010 2:34 AM | Report abuse

Interesting to see Barno posting as an alias... "Imjustlikemusiq"

Posted by: petecard | November 14, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I meant splosive_sac!

Posted by: petecard | November 14, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

What was the difference this week? Better pass protection, more single coverage, better play calling? I don't know, but Danny needs to keep putting the ball down field because good things happen when he does.

Posted by: TerpFan2001 | November 14, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TerpFan2001 | November 14, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TerpFan2001 | November 14, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Apparently I tripled posted. Sorry about that. The website didn't load.

Posted by: TerpFan2001 | November 14, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

So my last comment got held again.

Suffice to say, someone may not like the insults I have towards UVA (nine out of ten girls from VA is at least drinkably pretty, the other one went to UVA).

I posted a prediction, more my hopes for the Miami game. I change that Fl State. Winning this game by any margin would be a major statement to the pollsters and commentators about the MD FB program.

If we do win, please don't riot.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 15, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

I think we saw a lot of shots downfield because the scouting report showed the weakness of UVA was their secondary. DOB exploited that weakness, and they probably would have put up even more points had the officals actually been calling pass interference. I was amazed with how many calls the officials missed against the Cavs (holding on the fake FG was the most ridiculous), yet they still amassed 16 penalties.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 15, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse