Does Maryland's victory ensure Ralph Friedgen's return?

By Eric Prisbell

Maryland pulled away from Virginia after a wild first half to win, 42-32. I'm headed down for interviews.

When asked if Coach Ralph Friedgen will be back after the Terrapins’ seventh win of the season, first-year Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson would only say he wants another win Saturday night at Byrd Stadium against Florida State: “Looking for the eighth. Florida State is big and we want everyone [fans] out there.”

By Eric Prisbell  | November 13, 2010; 6:35 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Smith off to a big day, but ankle still an issue
Next: A big day for Maryland's Torrey Smith against Virginia

Comments

Does anyone know if there is a price chart for the pay lots on football gamedays?

We want to tailgate but don't have a parking pass... anything for like $10 or $15 bucks thats not in a garage?

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | November 13, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

E.P.,
With the nonsensical "coach in waiting" situation we as Terp football fans find ourselves in, AND, as a Terp fan dating back to the early 1970s, I am eager to hear Coach Friedgen's responses to the following questions.

In a nutshell:

1) Coach Friedgen, we assume you exercise authority, as head coach, to overule the play calling in key offensive situations--correct?
2) (If he answers in the affirmative...) On which plays did you overule Coach Franklin's original play call tonight?

I think his answers will speak volumes...

Bottom line: Franklin is OVER-rated!

Posted by: MerlinTerps | November 13, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Even Fridge's detractors have to admit that turning this season around after last year's disaster is rather remarkable..reason enough to keep the old man around a bit longer.

Posted by: generalike | November 13, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

26 out of the first 27 fans who voted on this poll voted YES. When you get 90+% people agreeing on anything, that is a consensus.

Coach stays

Posted by: Barno1 | November 13, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

musiq-man, hoppin' on the bandwagon??? I'm guessing since you're asking that question, you're not a regular.. I'd say find some friends who have parking on the lots...
Ralph has now secured his job for next year.. Can't see him going even if we lose the next two, which could happen...
Will probably have a great crowd next week with all the 'token' fans... Go Terps !!!

Posted by: frostanna | November 13, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

We will have 50,000+ next week.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 13, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

imjustlikemusiq, post your contact info and I will send you a lot 9b permit, one of the big tailgate lots next to comcast center.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 13, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

frostanna -- No, lol, I just live in an apartment off-campus so we usually just do the tailgate thing before we walk over. We were hoping to just have our own thing in a pay lot for the night game, though. Certainly not a bandwagoner. In fact, I challenge you to go through each Terp insider post and see my comments littered throughout the entire season. Both hoops and football. So zip it.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | November 13, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Barno -- Imjustlikemusiq@yahoo if you send me an email, I will give you whatever contact info you need. Thanks alot.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | November 13, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Coach stays

Posted by: Barno1 | November 13, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

27 people!! A consensus of the people who follow this blog? Yes. A consensus of those who will decide the future of the program? Pretty big stretch.

RF apologists legitimately point out the improvement over the 'one bowl in 15 years' that preceded his arrival in College Park.

Others, who set the bar for success a little higher, legitimately point out that the increased funds from the ACC-ESPN deal could be used to improve the coaching staff.

Posted by: RITerp | November 13, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

musiq-man, if Barno is offering you a passs on Lot 9B, take it.. That's where I've been for the last 4 years, other lots before that.. It's never full, even though they say it's sold out.. Be there at 2:00, park along the sidewalk along the two fields.. Look for a 6x9 Maryland flag.. That's where we are.. Go Terps !!!

Posted by: frostanna | November 13, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Fridge will be back no matter what. No way Andersen pays $3M for him and Franklin to take a hike, nor should he. Fridge made the program relevant again and will be ACC Coach of the Year if he wins another game. Next year, we'll be even stronger. Only have 8 seniors in the 2-deep. Congrats to Ralph and his staff for the big win and turnaround this year.

Posted by: aviscardo | November 13, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Oct. 16, 2010 - TERRAPIN INSIDER: How Many More Games Will Maryland Win This Season?
-----------------------

Is there a reason you didn't offer the choice of ZERO?

What a farce.

Posted by: petecard | October 17, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Third win since Petecard said we wouldn't win another game this season.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 13, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

I suggest that if we win out -- winning 5 games since petecard said we wouldn't win another -- he covers the bar tab at whatever bar we go to in Charlotte the night before the ACC Championship game.

Posted by: fushezzi | November 14, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Mr. "Authority on Everything," Barno speaks again... Houston we have consensus! 26 of 27 TI posters assures that the Fridge will be back. Joy in Medicorityville!

It was a nice win yesterday and it certainly fits within the context of this season. We beat a team we should beat and we played well. Now it's time to get real, which will not be possible for Barno. Our next two games mean everything to people who can tell the difference between a good team and an average, middle of the pack team. If we win one of the final two we will have something nice to argue about. If we win both there will only be real joy. If we lose both we will all turn to Barno to learn about what a great season it was anyway. I sure hope it doesn't resort to that... Barno Blather.

Posted by: petecard | November 14, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Pete,
Your negativity amazes me. Keep cheering against your own team so you can prove your point. If you can't see that the Terps football program is on the upswing, well, I can't help you.

Posted by: aviscardo | November 14, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Hey Petecard, see you at the FSU and NC State games? Beers on you at the ACC title game? Ohhhhh, wait. You don't support the Terps in person. Ever. Oh yeah...forgot about that.

Well, let me just say that if it was me who a month ago said we would win ZERO of our remaining games this season, if I had the gall to come back on this site after that then I'd at least offer up something like "I can't believe how idiotic my prediction was. I really underestimated this team, I will keep my negativity to myself from now on." But no, you're still on here telling us how this win fits perfectly with how you thought this season would go and everything is working out just as you thought.

You're a joke Petecard. A very little man who is not capable of admitting how wrong you are. When you can't enjoy 7-3, tied for 1st place in the loss column in mid November, and controlling our own destiny with 2 games remaining, well what's the point of even being a fan?

Posted by: Barno1 | November 14, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

It is amazing that people come on here to hate on the Terps after a gutsy win on the road.

You have to be a real loser to hate a team that you like. Why not just cut ties and pick a team that meets your standards?

There are plenty of great spots to tailgate. Some places are better than others and only accessible if you are a big donor or sneaky/creative.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 14, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Barno gets a hard time, but I love his passion. SEC schools have thousands of Barnos and that is what helps create their atmosphere and homefield advantage.

I hope our fans will channel their inner-Barno Saturday.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 14, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Great win for the Terps. I finally saw a win in person at Scott Stadium. Sadly I missed the 2006 comeback win.

The fans for both teams were great. I had a nice banter going with the UVA fans in front of me. They even admitted Testudo is a better mascot than the Cavalier :)

Having the team run over to the Maryland fans was pretty awesome. I got some high fives from A.J. Francis. I think that guy high fived everyone in the front row. He really enjoys the fans.

Huge game this weekend! I can't wait to get Byrd rocking after a long day of tailgating.

Posted by: TerpFan2001 | November 14, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

May I suggest some nicknames for Petecard? How bout Captain Negative, Cloudy Pete, or Peter the Hate? Other suggestions are welcome.

Posted by: aviscardo | November 14, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

As much as I would still like a change at the top, Fatso gets to at least play out the contract after the year he's had this year. The only way he gets an extension is if he makes (maybe only if he wins) the ACC championship game.

JF continues to make shaky offensive calls. Hopefully Anderson recognizes this and seriously considers cutting him loose.

Posted by: caphillterp | November 14, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

ive got a better name. how about pissy pants pete. lol here is to our inner-Barno go terps.

oh yea lot 1 has the best tailgating

Posted by: arf120 | November 14, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Some of you have trouble comprehending the written word. I don't cheer against my team. I root for them passionately. But I am also a realist who wants our programs to be better than they are.

Read my last post above. The primary message is that the next two games are huge in defining our progress. If we win one of them that will be very nice. If we lose both it will simply fit with how we have played this season against good teams, perhaps Navy being the exception although that is arguable. Even if we lose both, this season is a major improvement over last year and it may suggest we are on track to improve further. We do have a wonderful young QB. Now this has been at the heart of my commentary all year. When I asked why the selection of zero wins was left off of the poll it was because that looked possible, not because I wanted us to lose all of our games. I posted several times after that that I was happy to be wrong. I swear, some of you must never have gone to class while you were in school. That's all I can conclude from your ridiculous twisted comments.

Posted by: petecard | November 15, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: petecard | November 14, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: petecard | November 15, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Try contracting yourself a little more Peter the Hate.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 15, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I think a little perspective needs to be shed on this game, and the season. College football these days has come down to a very narrow margin between poor, mediocre, and great. Sometimes, that slim margin can be as razor this as what the Terps have demonstrated this year. They are one play away from being 8-2 (Miami touchdown). They are also one play from being 6-4 (Tate stop against Navy). Another few plays here and there, and this team could be anywhere from 9-1 to 2-8, including this past week's game against UVA. The bounces that this team is getting its better share of this season, were all going against them last season. IF that 3rd down pass to La'Qwan Williams gets picked off, UVA might have actully extended their lead, and possibly goes on to win that game.

The one this this team has managed to capture this season is confidence, and it all comes down to the first game of the season.

Is this a great Maryland team? I think it's learning to be great, and it takes some time to heal from the wounds of a 2-10 season. Right now, I think they're one of the best 4 or 5 teams in the ACC, which doesn't say much in the landscape of college football. However, when one bounce of the ball, or one kick (as Florida State and Oregon both found out this week) can tip the scales in your favor, virtually anything can happen, which is why so many people love this game. I think VaTech has become a great team, and Miami is on the verge of becoming a very good team, but between UNC, FSU, NCSU, and the Terps, the jury is still out.

Regardless how this season finishes, I think this has been one of the more interesting and exciting seasons to follow Maryland football, and is it very clear that this program has a very bright future.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 15, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse