Friedgen: 'My staff has not gotten a raise in a while'

By Eric Prisbell

Take a look at an interesting Associated Press story about how much the 12 ACC schools spend on their respective football programs. Two things stood out to me:

During the 2008-09 academic year, the most recent year with data available for all the schools, Maryland had roughly $11 million in expenses. That stood in contrast to the biggest spenders among ACC schools: Miami ($20.9 million), Boston College ($19.4), Clemson ($18.8) and Virginia Tech ($18.2).

During the 2009-10 school year, Maryland’s expenses were $9.8. Coach Ralph Friedgen told the Associated Press that he finished last year roughly $80,000 under budget.

“Obviously, the more money you have, I think it does make an impact,” Friedgen said. “I know I am pretty frugal at things. I don’t want to waste money.

“Obviously, we’d all like to have more money. My staff has not gotten a raise in a while … That’s why I am hoping to do well so I can get a bonus this year, so I can give it to my staff. Otherwise, I don’t think it is going to be long before I start losing some of them.”

You may disagree. But I found the quote more interesting than the spending numbers. Three important questions for you and two equally important poll question:

1) What do you think about Friedgen broaching the subject of a pay raise for a staff that is coming off four losing seasons in the past six years, a year removed from a 2-10 season in 2009 and is in the midst of a promising 6-2 season that as of yet does not include a signature victory?

2) Do you think, as I do, that this quote reflects Friedgen planting early seeds for what he hopes is a contract extension? That will become an issue the rest of the way, but these next four games clearly will determine, well, everything. As you know, Friedgen's contract expires after the 2011 season, when coach-in-waiting James Franklin is owed $1 million if he is not named head coach at that point.

3) Do you agree with Friedgen’s sentiment that he will start losing assistants soon if they don’t get a raise?

By Eric Prisbell  | November 4, 2010; 7:55 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Miami RB Damien Berry to miss game vs. Terrapins
Next: Poll: Will Maryland beat Miami in ACC showdown?

Comments

I noticed he brought this up after the dust had settled from the WVU, Clemson shellacking and BEFORE the Miami, FSU games

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 4, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

To complain about not getting a raise while doing such a poor job shows just how out of touch Ralph is with reality. Its time for him to move on.

Posted by: sjp879 | November 4, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Everyone so easily forgets just how pathetic the MD football program was before Ralph. Not only NO bowl games for like 15 years, but we were lucky if they won 3-4 games. In the last ten years he has had only one really bad year and they have rebounded to be bowl eligible and appear to have their best QB since Scott McBrien. I say give him another year or two if they win 7 games this year.

Posted by: critterex | November 4, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

It comes to me as no surprise that RF wants a contract extension. Even though he pushed for the James Franklin contract. I also realize that Maryland football is underfunded but whose fault is that. The declining attendence and losing seasons in a very competitive sports market area can all be put at the feet of course the only thing that matters is bowl appearances for Ralph no matter how low they are on the totem poll.

Posted by: MARKHAGNER | November 4, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I am a Fridge supporter, but I don't think he deserves a contract extension/raise.

And I also don't think he is asking for one.

He was speaking about his assistants. By looking at the budget numbers posted by the Associated Press it is clear that Maryland's budget is smaller than its competition and that probably leads to lower pay for Fridge's assistants.

I think he was simply stating that he hopes his budgets increases so his assistants can get a pay raise.

Personally, I think the special teams coach and the D-Coordinator probably deserve one (admittingly not knowing what either makes compared to other coaches at like position at other ACC schools)

Posted by: AdoptedTerp | November 4, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Additionally, the statement that Ralph "pushed for Franklin's deal" is contrary to what has been reported and what I have heard.

Posted by: AdoptedTerp | November 4, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

The salaries for assistant coaches have to be at least on par if not better (due to cost of living) than other ACC school or they are not going to be able to attract and retain a quality staff.

Posted by: Chief2 | November 4, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Isn't a raise supposed to be based on performance? Get 8 wins this year and then we'll talk about raises.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 4, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I say we listen to Barno. If he thinks the coaches should get raises and the Fridge should get an extension, why shouldn't that be good enough for all of us? Don't you all think that Anderson has already consulted with him? Here is what Ithink he would say: Take the lowest paying bowl as the baseline. Whatever Maryland's share over the baseline is, give half to the coaches.

Posted by: petecard | November 4, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Give the other half to GW!

Posted by: petecard | November 4, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Have you ever thought that the Football Programs performance is correlated (however slightly or greatly) to the laughable amount of money distributed to the football program?

Posted by: fushezzi | November 4, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"I don't think there's any question that if you're not willing to be competitive in absolutely everything ... from facilities, to assistant coaches' salaries to the amount of money you spend on recruiting and all those things - there's an absolute direct correlation to the success of your program," North Carolina coach Butch Davis said.

Boy, Butch Davis had better never come to this board, where the expectation is that MD should consistently be one of the top teams in the league--in the country for that matter--despite not allocating the resources to being a top program.

I'm not one to simply argue throwing money at the problem, and I understand that the program's budget is tied to its revenue, but to expect MD Football to outperform on the field when they under-spend off the field is silly.

As far as an extension is concerned, I'd absolutley give one to RF either now or at the end of the season. The program is headed in the right direction, we have youth that is getting on the field and showing improvement, we likely have a multi-year answer at the QB position and the stability that comes with a contract extension for RF will aid in recruiting.

Posted by: LeftCoastTerp | November 4, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

So the question for UM remains--who do you want to be?? Is it Penn or Penn St? I would suggest we are somewhere in bewtween and it shows. You can't blame the coaching staff if they are outspent by their competition for facilities, services and recruiting. There isnt any reason why Maryland can't have a football program that looks like Wisconsin's. We are the same type of institution. But Wisconsin plays in an 80,000 seat stadium and runs a first class operation--and it shows. So why cant UM support our coaches better---they are good enough coaches---because the school has one leg in and one leg out. They have invested quite a bit in the facilities and need to do some more----so the coaches can compete. BY the way--if you run Coach off, what are you going to get? A young up and coming coach who will leave for a bigger time program if he is successful. So make it a big time program with a big time budget and big time facilities---it will help to sell the school and its great academics!!

Posted by: beardown29 | November 4, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Petecard --

Son, we're alumni of a school that has championships (National and ACC). And those championships have to be won by great coaches. Who's gonna do that? You Petecard? You, TerpsFanMA? You both have a greater responsibility than you can obviously fathom. You call for the firing of Gary Williams and you curse the Fridge. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Fridge's firing, which you call for, would set our program back. And his existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins games...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want to hate our coaches. You need to hate our coaches.
We use words like Franklin, Fridge, and Gary ...we use these words as the backbone to decades spent creating championship programs. You simply call for their firing. I have neither the time nor the inclination to listen to the rants of a man who rises and sleeps under the championships they provided, then questions the coaches which provided it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a telephone and donate some freakin money or time to the program. Either way, I don't give a damn about the type of program you think you're entitled to!

Posted by: fushezzi | November 4, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I think Ralph is making a statement to the masses and to the Kevin Anderson about something that has been reported before. Maryland does not pony up when it comes to paying assistants, and spending money on recruiting. This was reported two years ago in the infamous 3-part Gary piece, and I think Fridge wanted to remind everyone how much the coaches get shafted at Maryland. Sure, the school pays its head coaches handsomely (I think even Sasho makes mid 6 figures), but that's where the spending stops. Aside from the $1 million guarantee to Franklin, there's not a single coach on any staff that would be in the top 50 percent of coaches in comperable possitions across the ACC. Keith Booth gets paid peanuts for being an assistant for 5+ years, and who knows how much of a pay cut Bino Ranson had to take to live closer to home and a slightly higher profile position.

Hopefully Kevin Anderson is getting the message, because it's not always how much you pay your head coaches, but also their ability to pay and retain their assistants.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 4, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Coach F, I'm a Terp but please!!! What have you done lately to deserve your salary? Assistants need raises? Cut your salary and share it with them! If they have other options for $$$ purposes, fine, let 'em go if you ain't sharing your salary. You want more money, just start winning consistently against the power schools, stop playing pathetic programs to pad your victories totals. Focus on becoming a dominate program against the big boys!

Posted by: mdgolfer357 | November 4, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Eric very interesting report by AP.

What I get from the story is that Ralph is saying that he hopes they do well so he can get a bonus under his contract so HE can pass it on to his assistants who have not had a raise for some time. I don't think he should get a contract extension this year. I think they should play it out to the end of the current one and see where the program and Ralph is and the consequences of the Franklin deal.

If you go to the AP story and drill down to the actual report there is some very interesting info.
FB reveune for FYE 6/30/10 $11.5M
FB Expenses $9.86M

BB revenue $10.7M BB expenses $5.2M.

All mens sports had a net plus of $4M. All womens sports had a net of minus of $5M.
All sports had a net of minus $1M

Winning will help solve all money problems.

Go TERPS beat Miami !!!

Posted by: JoeR123 | November 4, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

They probably need raises just to offset the amount Obama plans to take over the next 2 years.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 4, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I think being competitive in terms of salary is important for the program. Therefore the football budget should be increased to ACC standards but at the same the staff should be put on notice that the team should perform accordingly. There is no point in paying Virginia Tech salary when the results are just above Duke standards.

Posted by: mm_the_broker | November 4, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

For years now, most of us at UM have been without a raise (COLA or merit-based). Even those of us that directly support the educational mission (GASP!) of the institution! That said, RF has been great for UM and he just might earn an extension if they eek out a couple of wins down the stretch.

Posted by: vn11701 | November 4, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have the income statements, balance sheets, etc.? No. So let's not assume how the money is being spent and who or where it is all going to. Maryland is a public university but I doubt there going to give us full disclosure to all of that information.

Here's the reality, you must win in order to have better attendance and have the ability to generate more revenue.

There obviously is a budget but in order to improve things, you must front the money or take losses in some years/quarters/seasons and you must be willing to pay for quality.

The point is, if we want to get better we have to be willing to spend the money and spend it correctly so it positively affects future budgets and allows the program to grow and keep up with everyone else.

A quick message as well to all of the "supporters" out there. Remember that when you pay for your tickets to go to games or buy Maryland gear, that affects the athletic budget and when you don't, it affects the budget negatively. While I don't want to tell you how to spend your money because no one should do that; if you say you're a supporter but don't contribute to the betterment of the sports programs even if it's in a small, simple way such as buying gear if you can't attend games, then you're a hypocrite. You say you want the team to get better? Everyone is so worried about making the team better and just sitting back and hoping for it when they can actually take action themselves. (We wonder why the economy sucks right now and are quick to point the finger at someone else when we could all point the finger at ourselves.) It's about assisting them by doing little things such as that because after the monetary support, then they get morale support with cheers at the games and then they will have the ability to improve the budget to make better hires and get the right people into place and continue the success of the program.

I'll be waiting for the counter arguments.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | November 4, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Here here DiehardTerp.

As a member of the Terrapin Club and football season ticket holder, I wholeheartedly agree with your statement. The athletic department does not operate in a vacuum, and is solely reliant upon TV/sponsorship/ACC money, donations, and ticket sales to fund all of the scholarships, salaries, travel expenses, marketing, facility maintenance and upgrades, equipment, and tons of other stuff for 27 sports (more than many universities in the country). Aside from the student fees, which supposedly allows students to attend all athletic events for free, the athletic department receives ZERO money from the university, and is reliant upon donors and ticket buyers to make up a vast majority of its budget.

Anyone who complains that the Terps do not spend enough money on the programs, yet does not support them through buying tickets or making donations, has not right to criticize the athletic department.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 4, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

By the way, in addition to my last post, my wife is just about to have our second child but I still bought my season tickets for football this year (my 7th consecutive season since graduation) because that's all I can afford and would get basketball tickets if I could but that's hopefully in the future. I have been to ONE GAME and that was against Navy and have given my tickets away to other people because no one was willing to buy them but I wanted Maryland fans to go to the game and have a good time and cheer on the team. I did that because I'm invested instead of a fair weather fan who only cares when the team is doing well and wants to ride the coat tails.

One more thing, I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't realize that Penn State went through some rough seasons earlier this decade but they still packed houses or almost packed houses at all of their games not because it's the only thing to do around there but because their fans care about their team. They averaged 107000 a year they went 4-7 and 2-6 in conference in 2004 coming off of a 3-9, 1-7 previous season.

I'm not expecting those numbers because obviously we don't have the stadium but are we doing everything possible, within reason, as alumni and fans to actually support this team? I think the posts to this blog from people speak for themselves.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | November 4, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

To: Diehard Terp.

Very well said. I am an old Terp and have supported them one way or anothr since I graduated, lo those many years ago. I have supported them much more heavily in recent years through Terp Club, MGN. season tickets, gear etc because I am at a point in life when I can afford to do so.

We need a lot more Terp fans like you.

Good luck with your 2nd born.

Posted by: JoeR123 | November 4, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MARKHAGNER | November 4, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Lies. Fridge never pushed for Franklin's contract. He was very much against the coach-in-waiting and only went along with it because Debbie Yow assured him he could stay as long as he wants as long as he's winning.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 4, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Can we get a predictions thread for the Miami game going?

My prediction:

If the terps lose, TerpfanMA/SirPelleas/Peteycard will post comments bashing Ralph Friedgen and the team

If the terps win, TerpfanMA/SirPelleas/Peteycard will post comments bashing Ralph Friedgen and the team AND they'll diminish the win as it was against a freshman QB

Anyone want to bet me on this?

Posted by: Barno1 | November 4, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Barny:
What a childish little boy you must be...and by the way you declare yourself to be so important, I doubt you have many friends either which is probably why you have evolved into the creepy internet stalker troll that you are....

Lets see how the game goes on Saturday...it will be fridges 3rd "test" of the season...he embarrassed himself during the first two

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 4, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Why is it so hard for some people to admit when they are wrong? Petecard was on here 2 weeks ago stating that the Terps would not win another game this season. He's a very reactionary kind of guy this Petecard character...and well, we had just lost a game on the road at Clemson (we were double-digit underdogs in that game and were not supposed to win, but never mind that). Well, since he made that statement that the Terps would win ZERO games the rest of the way, the Terps easily handled Boston College on the road (the game was not as close as the final score would indicate) and then demolished a Wake Forest team by nearly 50 points.

Now the Terps are 6-2--obviously much, much better than Petecard thought they would be--but yet he can't bring himself to say these 3 words: I was wrong. He can't admit it to himself, much less to the rest of us...so instead he keeps on going with his negativity and pessimistic predictions.

But does this surprise any of the regulars on here? Does it surprise anyone who reads his constant attacks against Gary Williams, against Greivis Vasquez, against Jordan Williams, and now against Ralph Friedgen? Does it surprise anyhow who read his predictions that the Terps wouldn't even make the NIT 2 years ago and wouldn't make the NCAA tourney last year (we made it the tourney both years, including winning the ACC regular season title last year). Of course none of his comments are surprising. Every single prediction Petecard has ever made has turned out to be spectacularly wrong. So the more Petecard says we won't win any more games, the better we all should feel about our chances.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 4, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Count me as someone who does not think that Ralph or the team "embarrassed" themsevles in the West Virginia or Clemson games. Losses in Death Valley and Morgantown are nothing to sneeze at. Not to mention neither game was a blow out.

TerpfanMA- I assume you were at the BC game this year. Were you not proud to be MD fan that day? Did you not appreciate the effort, Did you not enjoy the game?

Lot of football to be played, but why not at least enjoy the early success.

Posted by: AdoptedTerp | November 4, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Russ....Navy got 10 wins out of their coach last year for 475k....

Riddle me this russ: If UMD pays so poorly, then how did the coaches get here in the first place? UMD out to put Fridge on some sort of pay for performance package like $50k for each win and $100k during the offseason so he can eat...what this is is a opportunistic hustler trying to take advantage of a few wins on the schedule....

Lets see if we understand this...Franklin/Brown have been here what 2 years...dumped the worst season in UMD history on the field last year, beat 3 bad teams in a row this year and now are expecting a raise???

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 4, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Ok. My prediction is that Barno continues to make manic, exaggerated statements about how good Maryland is. I also predict that Barno wets himself if the Terps in Saturday.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 4, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"Once again, Fridge displays extremely bad taste by doing this in the press....Lets hope Anderson is drawing up his short list"

Who is on your short list?

Posted by: AdoptedTerp | November 4, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Russ....Navy got 10 wins out of their coach last year for 475k....

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 4, 2010 3:08 PM

On Navy's schedule last year:

Louisiana Tech
Western Kentucky
Air Force
Rice
Southern Methodist
Temple
Delaware
Hawaii
Army

Let's see. Terps"fan"MA blasts Md's schedule and weak opponents every chance he gets...and then he touts how Navy won 10 games last year with a coach who only gets payed $475K a year. But wait, why is impressive that Navy had 10 wins against sub par competition but it's not impressive when MD is 6-2 against some sub par competition?

Just another example in an endless series of contradictory viewpoints by the comically clueless Terp"fan"MA.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 4, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 4, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

when have I ever made exaggerated statements about how good Maryland is? SirPelleas, when you have no logical arguments and no legitimate points to make, you resort to straw man tactics in which you invent a position I never took in order to knock down that position. It's pretty lame, but not surprising given your recent string of baseless comments.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 4, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Fushezzi,
That was a good post. Sounds like you've been watching "A Few Good Men." I'm surprised someone didn't pick up on that.

Go Terps,
A longtime Terp fan from the days of Frank Tamburello. Anyone remember him?

Posted by: dcknights | November 4, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 4, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Terp"fan"MA, I believe the word you were looking for was "ought." What do you know, the guy who mocks our head coach's weight is illiterate. Shocking.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 4, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you are obviously in denial.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 4, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe I said that Maryland's head coaches were underpaid. I said their assistants were, and it's been written about on numerous occassions. All of the head coaches at Maryland (Fridge, Gary, Brenda, Sasho, et al) get paid at or more than the average head coach in the ACC. However, the assistants, aside from James Franklin and his $1 million guarantee, are far below the average for the conference.

Comparing the head coach's salary at a service academy to any other program in the country is just ignorant. You're comparing apples and oranges. I guess if you were a Longhorn fan, you would have fired Mack Brown and his tops in the nation $5.1 million salary (4-4 record, 2-3 AT HOME) after the embarasing loss to UCLA.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 4, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Also, one of the reasons Gary has had difficulty since the NC is because his assistant keep leaving for a real paycheck. He has even seen assistants leave for assistant jobs at other programs because they paid more money (Matty K at Loyola comes to mind). Gary will point to it as a positive that his assistants are so highly desired that other schools want to hire them as head coaches, but in reality, Gary is furious that he could not pay the guys he wanted to stay the money it would take to keep them on staff. Billy Hahn would be the top assistant again if Yow would have stepped up to pay him, but instead, he took a near-head coach's salary (more than he was being paid as the head man at LaSalle) to assist at WVU with Huggie Bear. Same with Dave Dickerson, who took a nice check from Ohio State to back up Thad Matta for this year, not that I would trade Bino Ranson for Dave Dickerson right now after Bino delivered Faust.

Maryland does fine in paying its head coaches, but at the cost of paying good assistants.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 4, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

SirPelleas, I'm not in denial. I am thankful we are 6-2 and realize we have yet to register a signature win on the season.
It's true that we were 7 point underdogs against Navy, and 3.5 point underdogs vs Boston College. We won both of those games and still you weren't pleased. If we beat Miami you will mock that achievement as well just as you mock every other positive development by this team. But the truth is with or without Harris, I believe a win down in Miami--where we are more than a touchdown underdogs--would be a signature win. Miami has been ranked almost all season long and it's not because of Harris, who has played quite poorly this year given the expectations for him. Miami is a good football team, period. And if we win, we'll be 7-2 and 4-1 in the ACC...and you'll still pathetically be mocking this team as if you are a real fan.

Go to a game SirPelleas, maybe then you can call yourself a fan.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 4, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Ralph you can't ask for a raise at a state school in a recession if you don't win the ACC Title or go to a decent bowl game. The season is not over yet and alot of football needs to be played. Your a good coach but before this year it has been a rough ride since the Gator Bowl

Posted by: agarnett1000 | November 4, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

uuuh fellas -

didn't a lot of us discuss the ACC's new TV deal with ESPN/ABC and the uptick in $MM it would bring to all of the member universities. The old data presented is not adjusted for the new TV deal. If I recall correctly, MD was to get $7M more per year (someone should confirm). So the overall athletic budget was massively improved driven by men's FB and BB.

I read the article the way JoeR did - RF is looking to kep winning so he can pass through his bonus to his assistants.

I believe that AXIS of RMOGs (petecard, TF-MA & Pelleas) that the FOGs tend to reach out and bash are going to be celebrating along with the rest of us when MD takes Miami and UVA. It cracks me up how much SOME OF YOU villianize each other when y'all are rooting for the same team (which is why I tune in to this channel). And to be fair, some of you, are really good at the internet flame wars.

I do recall Petecard admitting he was wrong about GV and GW last season....although it not enough for the FOGs to quit bashing and re-posting(which face it, is tobe expected in the Internet world).

I gues my point is, more $$ is coming for the athletic department (although I don't know the details offhand). And although MD was not near its peak during the period where the deal was completed, our FB team's mere existence helped the entire athletic department.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 4, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Matty K left because he could not recruit quality players - Gary has Keith Booth and Lefty's kid major upgrades from Matty "Pass It" K

Posted by: agarnett1000 | November 4, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Barno, I am happy that the Terps are 6-2. I agree with you that beating Miami this weekend would be a big win. Seriously man, I'm thankful for what Friedgen has done for the program, but I'd like to see them win an ACC championship again, or at least make it to an ACCC game in the next couple of years. If the Fridge can pull it out this year and win at least 2 of the next 4 games, that would be a tremendous turnaround from last season. But I don't want next season to be 6-6 or 5-7. I'm tired of the inconsistency.

I would also like to see recruiting improve and for the Terps to win a BCS game or a BCS NC. What is so hard for you to understand about this? I'm sure this is exactly what TerpFanMA and Petecard want. I'm sure it's what you want as well.

I don't appreciate being labeled a false fan just because I offer a bit of sarcastic criticism now and again. Have a good evening.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 4, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

And Lefty's kid left for pennies on the dollar to coach at The Citadel. Basketball ssistants are not hired necessarily to be recuiters (Terrell Stokes, Mike Lonergan, Michael Adams, Joe Harrington, Matty K, and others).

For the record, Keith Booth has not done an exceptional job recruiting, and Chuck is probably most responsible for the uptick in recruits over the past few years. Booth is willing to work for peanuts at Maryland, because no one is willing to pay him more right now.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 4, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | November 4, 2010 2:03 PM |

Like I said, Petecard has admitted he was wrong before on this board. However, like heartfelt apologies to my wife (where I patiently restate EVERYTHING that p*ssed her off) it was never, ever going to be remotely good enough for many on this board. I hope they do to post some celebratory remarks when we win. Won't prevent others from bashing them anyway. Its almost habitual.

But the key thing from your statement above that may be missed (Sorry Pete, you might want to skip this part...) was that two weeks ago the Yankees were choking like the overpaid prima donna sissy-dogs that they are against the Texas Rangers and were concerned about purchasing the pitcher that was kicking their butts before the series even started. One might get a bit gloom and doom when that happens towards their other teams. Couple it with the age of the alleged "real yankees" and one has to assume every Yankees fan has apprehension about the next generation of mercenaries that the Steinbrenners will overpay.

And two weeks ago, I think most of this board were hoping we would go down to Clemson and get a win.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 4, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Ok...lets see some facts...everyone on here is deriding UMD for payings its assistant coaches peanuts....who has the info to list names and salaries?

Until we see that, all of this banter is just meaningless...how much does franklin get? how about Brown? the others?

And Russ, why is comparing Academy coaches to Fridge apples and oranges? My point is that Navy brought a team to baltimore that ran all over the terps for 99.9% of the game..they were able to do this with what most would say are inferior athletes to UMD and i believe alot of the credit goes to the coaching staff and their game preparations..and I believe it is notable that that coach put that team on the field for less than 25% of what Fridge demands from UMD...meaningless comparison? Not in my opinion

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 4, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 4, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I think we're seeing an improvement in recruiting, whether that's a function of Franklin, or just Fridge working hard with Sollazzo. However, it doesn't all come down to recruiting blue chippers, because Fridge has had top 25 classes that have gone on to do next to nothing in the program. What I can say about the next 3 years is that this team is set at QB. With DOB and Tyler Smith, the Terps should be set until at least 2015, and the success of the Terps has always come down to the QB. Look at every bad season in the Fridge era, and you'll see set of QBs that did not perform up to expectations. Look at every successful Fridge campaign, and you will see a QB that exceeded expectations. The program has also been hurt in losing seasons by players leaving early for the NFL and injuries. Aside from the DeSouza and Ferrara (not such a bad thing) injuries, the Terps have not lost a significant amount of starters' minutes to injury. Last year, the Terps delt with tons of injuries across the line, Scott's oft-injured hamstring, injuries in the secondary and D-line, and the nagging injuries to Turner.

It's difficult to make predictions as to whether players will continue to improve or play up to their potential, or if important players will get hurt significantly, but on paper, there's no reason to think that this team won't be challenging for the ACC Title over the next 2-4 years, unless of course the team gets saddled with James Franklin as the head coach in 2012, and then all bets are off.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 4, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

As requested for TerfanMA, and it's not that hard to find.

I guess I must have forgot who won that football game in Baltimore on Labor Day, becuase the last time I checked the livelihood of a coach, and the ultimate gauge for the success of a football program is wins and losses, not how many yards were given up. Sure Navy had every reason to win that game with their "inferior" athletes, but they didn't, which is why they play the games instead of letting the books decide who wins and loses. I guess every team that Navy beat this year should look for a new coach, along with David Cutcliffe, who probably should have lost after letting Navy back in the game last week. In case you didn't know, Navy "runs" on EVERYONE, and has been doing it for the past 10 years (#11 in rushing offense currently), and FWIW, Maryland is ranked #29 in rushing defense DESPITE the Navy game.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 4, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

...and for those who want to go cross-eyed and know exactly what each Maryland coach and assistant made in 2009/10:

Excerpts:

Fridge: $267,468.32
James Franklin: $296,514
Don Brown: $275,000
Dave Sollazo: $104,387.47

Gary: $429,398.84
Chuck Drissel (gone): $99,528.04
Keith Booth: $71.441.90
Troy Wainwright: $82,268.87

Brenda Freese: $330,746.40

Sasho Cirovski: $191,142

Missy Mahrig: $111,884.59

Posted by: Russtinator | November 4, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Uhh - Fridge gets less than Brenda Freese? Seriously? Seriously?

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 4, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Ok, thanks russ...I here is what USA Today had:

Florida State: $2,455,808 (ranges from $137,000-$629,000)

Virginia Tech: $2,037,172 (ranges from $142,285-$402,000)

North Carolina: $1,985,000 (ranges from $160,000-$330,000)

Clemson: $1,857,730 (ranges from $113,000-$375,000)

Maryland: $1,817,490 (ranges from $115,000-$468,954)

Georgia Tech: $1,680,000 (ranges from $160,000-$288,500)

NC State: $1,642,684 (ranges from $148,112-$237,500)

Virginia: $1,551,789 (ranges from $136,000-$275,000)

This seems to put UMD in the middle of other ACC schools and one would assume that Franklin is the highest paid assistant at $468,000....so 4/6 losing seasons and no raises....I am not worried about these guys leaving....on another note, I am sure that Kevin Anderson is absolutely thrilled with Ralphy going public with this complaint after a 3 game winning streak! He is probably walking a big check over to Fridge at this very moment

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 4, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Time for change...Maryland is terrible! Any one can beat up on stinkers...

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | November 4, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

"Uhh - Fridge gets less than Brenda Freese? Seriously? Seriously?

Regards -

-hgr"

He "officially" gets paid less than James Franklin AND Don Brown too.

Looking again at the USAToday article, I would still question their numbers as being a bit high. The Diamondback's numbers are probably a bit closer, because I highly doubt Franklin's making almost $200k in camps and endorsements. The Diamondback numbers come straight off the University payrolls, but do not include other earning opportunities (camps, endorsements, appearances, speaking functions, etc...), so I'm not really sure who on the staff makes $468k.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 4, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

with a brand new AD I don't think the WAPO is the place to talk about $$

Posted by: curlybyrd | November 4, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

And no, russ, nobody including me, is suggesting that ralph or any other coach be fired based upon 1 game...my perspective is that for the last 7 years we have been a mediocre program with an occaisonal blip up or down and have sunk major cash into stadium improvements because of undelivered promises by ralph..mainly that he would return maryland to a perennial Top 25 school and routinely challenge for the conference title....is this how you would describe the UMD football team over the last 7 years? Perenially Top 25? Challenge for the conference title (I am assuming that Fridge meant getting into the title game)?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 4, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 4, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Let's not lose sight of the context from which Fridge's comment came from. It was in response to story about how much ACC schools spend on football, and how two of the largest public universities (Maryland and NCState) spent the least amount of money of their football programs. Fridge commented that he even came in $80,000 under budget---remember when Yow asked all of the programs to tighten the belts last year, and Fridge complied with an extra $80k for the AD. The school spent half as much on its football program as the biggest spender in the ACC, and we all know that the ACC doesn't put nearly as much money into football as big time programs in the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac-10. Fridge was merely responding to the article and the fact that when compared to the other schools in the ACC, Maryland is far behind, and the largest chunk of money spent on the football program goes to coaches and staff.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 4, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 4, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

But I think the whole point of this article, and actually Fridge's arguement, is that the University is not invested in football, so we have to make due with what we've got, which is a team that has some up and down year, but a bright future under the current stewardship.

Who would the Terps realistically hire to replace Fridge?

They couldn't afford to hire a name after having to pay off Franklin, so it's Franklin or a no-name, up and coming assistant. Sure, I'd like to sit through 4 years of rebuilding a ruin what appears to be a team heading in the right direction because the team has had a few subpar seasons.

UNC must be rethinking it's hiring of Butch Davis, because they have yet to play in an ACC Title game under him.

Miami should pack up the Randy Shannon era, because Miami hasn't been close to an ACC title game since joining the conference.

VaTech should call an end to Beamer Ball, because they've never been higher than 6th in the BCS standings at the end of the year, just the froth on top of the sour milk.

Aside from last season, Fridge has never finished in the bottom 3 of the conference, and 3 times has finished in the top 2. Even the best programs in the country have up years and down years (Texas and Florida this year), but spinning the coaching carousel is not always the answer (see Notre Dame). If this program is not going to be funded like a big time college football program, then this staff might be the best way for fans to see success on a semi-regular basis.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 4, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

"my perspective is that for the last 7 years we have been a mediocre program with an occaisonal blip up or down and have sunk major cash into stadium improvements because of undelivered promises by ralph..mainly that he would return maryland to a perennial Top 25 school and routinely challenge for the conference title...."

I guess Miami, UNC, Clemson, and NC State are just mediocre programs too. None of them have won ACC titles recently (Clemson snuck into the ACC Title game last year), and while they have cracked the top 25 here and there, but all fail to consistantly be in the top 25.

Perhaps Fridge overpromised when he took the job, but his 10 years have been collectively better than just about any 10 year span in Maryland football history.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 4, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Just want to check in with the KADs - is it ok to hate on Franklin still?

+ did recruit DOB and musta had a hand in his development

- but some of the play calling has been putrid although it actually has seemed to improve in the last few games

I just can't blindly follow this guy JF. I bought the idea of the HCIW back when the deal occurred which was before last season's debacle.

I do not blindly follow RF, but got to commend both the turnarounds (winning when he arrived AND the recovery from last year's hellish season). Last season was inexcusable. Yes I agree with Russ on the key injuries issue BUT also believe that we had underrecruited linemen for a few years. Short & Simple, he f'd up (as the head of the program). But that was also last year. And I'll take the f'up of last year, file it away and move on from it if this year's team wins at least two more games. The turnaround would be complete with the future undeniably promising.

I would (duh, all of us would) much prefer to see them drive to the ACCCG rather than back in. I realize there are multiple scenarios where a loss suffered could be offset but would rather see them win out, one game at a time, starting with Miami.

And yes, I think every single one of us would be stunned and elated to see the Terps in the ACCCG.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 4, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Why not take this as ground zero. Assume he runs the table (unlikely, I know). At 11-2 everyone would likely agree that he deserves an extension. Also, if he were only to win one more game, 7-4 isn't bad. So, for each game he wins from hereon out, give him a 1-year extension. If he wins 3 more games, he gets a 3-year deal. I'd like to see where he can go with this Fr. QB over the next year or two. More than likely, we;ll see 2 more wins. That should buy him two more years and let's see how O'Brien develops.

Posted by: wesridgeway | November 4, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Why not take this as ground zero. Assume he runs the table (unlikely, I know). At 11-2 everyone would likely agree that he deserves an extension. Also, if he were only to win one more game, 7-4 isn't bad. So, for each game he wins from here on out, give him a 1-year extension. If he wins 3 more games, he gets a 3-year deal. I'd like to see where he can go with this Fr. QB over the next year or two. More than likely, we'll see 2 more wins. That should buy him two more years and let's see how O'Brien develops.

Posted by: wesridgeway | November 4, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wesridgeway | November 4, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | November 4, 2010 2:03 PM

Very good road win. I am quite happy to be wrong with my opinion that we would not win. Finally I think we can say we have a quarterback. Very solid game by Danny O'Brien. We may have been a little conservative in the second half, but the defense came up big at the end and the tip catch by BC is one of those flukes that just happen. That could have rattled the team but they played well after that. Didn't like the 4th down call with 2:00 minutes left and it was rushed as well. We needed to call time out there and call a play that was more likely to succeed. But chalk up the win. Even against a bad team it's a road win in the ACC.

Posted by: petecard | October 23, 2010 4:26 PM

Sorry for the long post, but when Barno simply lies he reminds me of the mainstream media. Everyone knows Barno keeps posts from people he hates and uses them over and over.... but only when it works to his benefit.

Barno you are really showing your true colors. And Thanks HugeER for your reasonable comments.

By the way, flusheasy, were drinking or on drugs when you wrote that ridiculous post yesterday morning?

Posted by: petecard | November 5, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Drinking

Posted by: fushezzi | November 5, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Pete...hang in there...there is something very creepy about him

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 5, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Ah creepiness....

A few of us (6-10?) have met and I can say no one was creepy. We all got along well, talked terps...it was a good time.

What would be creepy is if a Terp Fan from Mass came on this board daily, complained about the program and then didn't bother going to see the Terps play at BC.

Please tell me you went TerpfanMA.

Posted by: fushezzi | November 5, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Pete/TerpFan/SirPellas: YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!

Posted by: aviscardo | November 5, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Let's see, I've been on Terps Insider since day 1 along with several friends (fushezzi, avsicardo, jpfterps, h1dynasty, joemama1, putnam23, and a few others that only post occasionally). I didn't just show up this year after the Terps were coming off a 2-10 season and start bashing our head coach every single day like TerpfanMa. I didn't just show up when the Terps bball team had hit it's worst stretch in 15 years and demand Gary Williams be fired every day like Petecard did after the Duke loss in early 2009. To me, these guys are beyond creepy. They never under any circumstances travel to College Park for a basketball or football game. They don't support our programs financially. They aren't Terp Club members. Yet they come on here every demanding we fire our legendary coaches. Coaches who, were it not for them, Petecard and TerpfanMA would in all likelihood not even be Maryland basketball or football fans to begin with.

These are the absolute worst kind of "fans," if you can even call them that. They kick their supposed team when they are down, and when their supposed team is up they diminish every single achievement. Nothing is ever good enough for them and that's because they are so far removed from the actual programs they don't get the enjoyment the rest of us get when we actually go to the games.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you don't support these programs then why are you even here? Petecard quit on this team 2 weeks ago when he said we wouldn't win another game this season. Well, thank god the coaches and the players didn't quit on the season as quickly as the super "fan" Petecard did.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 5, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

critterex: Stop writing that stuff you're putting out there. It makes too much sense. Just be like most of the others donks commenting who have followed UMD football the past 5 years. They have short memories and do not fully appreciate Fridge's body of work. I would be inclined to give Fridge 2 more years now that he and James and staff have been recruiting in a slightly different manner in our region and see what they're doing. Then, if successful for 2 years, I would want James to take over the program barring some overriding reason...

Posted by: terptek | November 5, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Once again Barno fires off his cr*p and doesn't address his own dishonesty. At least Flusheasy admitted he had been drinking :). Barno is just a thug...

Posted by: petecard | November 5, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Pete,
I got no problem with you, TerpFanMA, SirPellas criticizing the program now and then. Just like I have no problem with people that criticize our country. Many do so because they want it to be better. However, what I do have a problem with is people that are too stubborn to admit they were wrong, just because they are wedded to an agenda. You wanted RF fired. We all disagreed because we believe RF is a great coach that rebuilt the program from nothing. When you continue to bash the Terps and only point out the negatives, it seems to some that you are pulling against your team. How bout you just say, "I was wrong" and we'll move on.

Posted by: aviscardo | November 5, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I think you are all misreading Fridge's comment. When he said "My staff has not gotten a raise in a while" he was not talking about his assistants. That bonus he wants for his staff would buy a nice implant.

Posted by: MrScrotums | November 6, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Every other state employee has been furloughed for the past three years. No.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | November 6, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse