Friedgen tells prospects he plans on being at Maryland for years

By Eric Prisbell

Working on a recruiting story, so I asked Coach Ralph Friedgen a few questions during Wednesday’s group interview session with reporters in his office.

We know Friedgen’s contract ends after the 2011 season. And we know coach in waiting James Franklin is guaranteed $1 million if he is not named head coach by January 2012. All that considered, Friedgen is telling recruits that he plans on being year for multiple seasons to come.

Me: You can sell prospects on knowing who the coach will be here (Friedgen or coach in waiting James Franklin). But do you get the question from recruits about the timetable for the transition?

“Yeah. I tell them I’m planning on being here,” Friedgen said. “That’s me. That’s what I tell them. That’s really out of my hands, you know what I’m saying. All I can do is worry about winning the next game, so that is what I concentrate on doing. [If] the powers that be think that’s good enough, fine. If the powers don’t, then I won’t be here.

Me: So you tell them you plan on being here for the majority of their careers?

“Yeah. As long as I enjoy coaching,” he said. “And what I find, when I recruit kids who want to work, go to school, I like those kids, I like being around them. It’s more enjoyable to me than always having to be a Gestapo agent, always making sure they are doing this, making sure they are doing that. That’s not the fun part of coaching. You’re out there today and guys are kind of having fun. I like when they jab me a little bit. They all want to ride in my cart. I say, ‘Last practice, last practice.’ [Adrian] Cannon told me today, ‘Last practice, you’re carrying me off.’ I said, ‘Alright. Last practice you get to pick who you want to carry you off. If you kill an old man it will be on your soul.’

(He laughed a deep laugh.)

Another reporter: Did you feel any relief when you got to six wins?

“I don’t really look at it that way,” Friedgen said. “No one has told me six wins, five wins, four wins. Debbie [Yow] said seven wins, but Debbie’s not here. I don’t know if that’s still the standard or not. Who cares. Just go out and win and then we’ll let the dust settle where it is. Maybe you and I go fishing, who knows.”

By Eric Prisbell  | November 11, 2010; 7:44 AM ET
Categories:  Football, Ralph Friedgen
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps To Take Part in 2011 Puerto Rico Tip-Off
Next: Predictions for Maryland-Virginia ACC showdown

Comments

Seems to me Friedgen is saying all the right things. Somehow Terp"fan"MA/Brooks will turn this into "Friedgen said he is happy with just getting 3 wins this season" but the rest of us can see that the man is not satisfied with mere bowl eligibility--as most of us aren't either. We all want to win more games, now that we've already won 6.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Ralph may say 'he plans', but the answer lies with the new AD.. Let's hope the team doesn't make it an easy decision for him by losing...Go Terps !!!

Posted by: frostanna | November 11, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Either Fridge has plans to stay on staff in an advisory role, or he's got $1 million lying around to pay off James Franklin, and expects to win the ACC next year. Those are the only two situations where Fridge would be still with the Terps in 2012, but the world is supposed to end then, so it might not really matter.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 11, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Russ, if they forced Friedgen out after 8, 9, or 10 win seasons in order to usher in Franklin--who was promoted because of his race, according to Debbie Yow--then Friedgen would have a legitimate racial discrimination case against the University, and he would win easily.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Should be interesting to see since next year's team should be very good.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 11, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

FYI, for those going, the Florida State game IS a blackout game.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Barno1, Fridge's contract ends at the conclusion of the 2011 season, so if he's not renewed, I'm not sure how he could claim racial bias even if Franklin is given the job to save the school $1 million. Kevin Anderson has some serious thinking to do at the conclusion of this season, and I think the final record will have a lot to do with that decision. 10 wins, and I think Franklin gets his $1 million and Fridge's contract is extended through 2015. 6 or 7 wins, and I think he might have to eat the $1 million and go a different direction in 2012 or deal with the terrible thought that is James Franklin as the Terps head football coach. 8 or 9 wins, and I think he's got a real tricky decision to make. Do you keep Fridge and lose Franklin, or go the other way? Who is the reason that the Terps have a promising future, the guidance of Fridge or the recruiting of Franklin? I wouldn't want to make that decision, so let's just hope the Terps win out and get to the ACC Title game.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 11, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Terps win out? That's a good one. I suppose stranger things have happened but if they somehow managed to pull that one off, we'd have to give them a nickname like the Miracle Mets or something.

If they can raise the talent level throughout the team - not just a guy here or there - Ralph can coach em up. He's already proven that with Vanderlinden's kids.

Posted by: shanks1 | November 11, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

What, exactly, is Franklin's race? He's not white? And Yow said that this played a part in his hiring?

Posted by: caphillterp | November 11, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

if they forced Friedgen out after 8, 9, or 10 win seasons in order to usher in Franklin--who was promoted because of his race, according to Debbie Yow--then Friedgen would have a legitimate racial discrimination case against the University, and he would win easily. I realize most of the people who read this blog might think that is unrealistic, but the fact is Debbie Yow's slip up in the press last year gives Friedgen all the ammunition he would need to win that case--should he decide to go that route. Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2010 11:37 AM |

Fridge would need the world's greatest attorney, and then some, to prove racial bias against white males when the University has hired nothing but white males as HC of Md football for the last 118 years. So that is a total of 118 years for whites to 0 years blacks. Some discrimination against whites! How much protection do oppressed white guys really need?

Look at it another way: in recent years the majority of Terp players have been black, based on ability and not discrimination against whites. The Terps first black football player, Darryl Hill, played in 1963. Yes, the Terps acknowledged at the time that they wanted to integrate the team. This was one year after the so-called Redskins integrated their team. So, would a white player who didn't get a scholarship in 1963 have the right to sue because a black player came in and took the scholie away from him? No, not at all. A black player's talents were finally recognized, that's all. No discrimination against whites then, and none today.

If the Terps had been recruiting well and winning more in recent years, any discussion of racial discrimination against the white HC would be irrelevant. Fridge would just be the coach, period. But Fridge's performance led to a new direction by Yow. Fridge's attorney would have to knock down that obvious fact too.

And if Yow said she was concerned for Ralph's health, then Ralph's attorney would have to add that to her or his list of problems to overcome. I do worry about Ralph's health, and I am guessing that maybe Debbie did too.

Posted by: EdDC | November 11, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

EdDC, I appreciate your interest in this issue but you still are not remotely close to understanding it. You wouldn't need the world's greatest attorney or even a really good one to win this case. The lawyers where I work have looked at Yow's comments and they too believe that if Friedgen were forced out in favor of Franklin, Fridge would have a cut and dry racial discrimination case simply based on Debbie Yow's public comments. His lawyers would argue that the public university sought to promote to head coach a person who was a minority--which Debbie Yow has admitted publicly--and Friedgen would have kept his job had he too been a minority.

The 118 years of white head coaches is completely irrelevant to this particular issue and I am really not quite sure why you keep bringing that up. Past discrimination (i.e. slavery, Jim Crow, etc) is not a justification for current discrimination, according to the Supreme Court case California Board of Regents vs Bakke. It seems that you believe that any history of racial discrimination by an institution, even if it was decades earlier, has an impact on individual court cases today. It does not. If a white boss fires a black employee for legitimate reasons, the black employee cannot win a case by pointing to the history of discrimination by his employer from 50 years ago. That is not a legal justification.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

First of all, this won't be a problem because there's no way Franklin gets the top spot whether or not Ralph is there. I can't imagine that even being an option unless JF's offenses suddenly begin producing like Houston and Andre Ware in the late 80s.

Secondly (and I'm actually being serious for once), are you guys saying that Franklin is black?

Posted by: caphillterp | November 11, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The problem is that Fridge is not being forced out. His contract ends in January 2012. The university can hire whoever they want at that time (black or white). If Fridge wants to coach longer, he needs to first earn and then be given a contract extention, and then the university would be forced to pay James Franklin $1 million because of Yow's stupidity.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 11, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EdDC | November 11, 2010 1:43 PM

Ed, racial quotas were still legal back then--and some would argue, for good reason. Today, they are not. Again, this was settled in Bakke, some 32 years ago. Read Justice Powell's majority opinion in that case. Past racial discrimination against blacks is not a legal justification to now discriminate against whites. If blacks were discriminated against by UMD 60 years ago, that does not give the university the legal right to now discriminate against whites.

If Friedgen were forced out, or did not have his contract renewed after a successful, say 8 or 9 or 10 win season, he would have a real case. Fridge could legitimately say that they only forced him out because they had to pay a million dollars to a man who was given the head-coach in waiting position because--as Debbie Yow put it--Franklin was a "minority" and affirmative action "is part of UMD's fabric."

Fridge could also point to CURRENT discrimination by UMD. We all now know for a fact that at UMD, black applicants are given a massive degree of preference over their white, Hispanic, and Asian counterparts in admissions (there have been studies on this). We know that UMD takes race into heavy consideration in its undergrad admissions, med school, hiring, and faculty promotions. We know that 2 federal courts have struck down racially-reserved scholarships at UMD.

Fridge's case would never go to trial, because UMD's lawyers know he would win. I know of a private group's lawyer who has already spoken with the university legal counsel about this issue. The school's counsel agreed that Yow's comments were legally "problematic" and instructed all future comments coming from the Athletic Department to reflect the law from now on--which Yow's comments did not.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Russ, you are correct in saying the university can legally hire whoever they want without fear of a discrimination suit if they do not re-sign Friedgen--except for one person: Franklin...since the University has made clear that they "only agreed to preemptively promote" Franklin because he was a minority, that opens up a case where Fridge can argue that he was not re-signed because they wanted a minority head coach.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: caphillterp | November 11, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Yes, he is black though he is fair-skinned. Yow told a reporter that college park administrators only agreed to his promotion because he was a minority. She really goofed up with that revelation, and may be a reason why she got the helll out of dodge this year.

Posted by: see-ya | November 11, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

First and foremost, Franklin was not hired because he is black. There are plenty of talented blacks, whites and people of other races out there, not just James Franklin, who could be HC at the University. Is it a plus that he is black? To me, yes. To some recruits, yes. To you, no, and to a court, no. Fact is, he won the job.

Fridge's contact is expiring, and a decision was made by Yow. The new AD can overturn it, at the expense of a million dollars in tax money of Maryland residents. I hope Kevin doesn't overturn it, while you hope he does, but this is not a matter for the courts. It is a matter for Kevin Anderson. Anyway, if a major institution (funded by tax dollars from all kinds of residents) recognizes the talents of blacks and other minorities, it does not mean that whites are discriminated against!

Whites have had so many advantages in head football coach selections and also among faculty and top administrators in the University. These advantages continue to this day. It is not just historical. I would like to see a University of Maryland and nation where too much racial and gender inclusion becomes a problem for the beleaguered white guy. Then I'll know we are truly making progress in opening up our society. However, we are a long, long way from there. I hope you are fighting a lonely crusade.

By the way, Russ is correct. When a contract expires, a party in the contract has no right to contract continuation.

Posted by: EdDC | November 11, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow, 15 years after I graduate and STILL everything at Maryland revolves around race. Who cares. Hire the best coach out there. If its Fridge, fine. If not, fine. I just want W's.
BTW, I don't think Maryland taxpayers will care about blowing a million bucks to pay off Franklin. They just re-elected O'Malley, so fiscal responsibility obvious isn't very high on the priority list.

Posted by: terpin | November 11, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

EdDC,

What you just wrote has got to be one of the most ignorant comments ever posted to this website. But I want to thank you for at least outing yourself as a bigot, so now we all know that you prefer a black head coach to a white one.

"Anyway, if a major institution (funded by tax dollars from all kinds of residents) recognizes the talents of blacks and other minorities, it does not mean that whites are discriminated against!"

Of course not, nor did anyone suggest otherwise. What laughable straw man.

What I said was that if you promoted him BECAUSE of his race--which Debbie Yow admitted to doing--then you are engaging in racial discrimination.

I love hearing the claim made by college administrators that race is "just one factor" in their decisions. There have been dozens of studies on this and race is not just one factor, it is often THE determining factor. Just as one example, look at the University of MD admissions in the late 90s, the last years for which the numbers are available:

The relative odds of admission for a black applicant with the same grades and test scores over a white applicant were 61.5 to 1 in 1996, 35.9 to 1 in 1997, 40.7 to 1 in 1998, and 20.6 to 1 in 1999. This is clear cut discrimination. The university has one standard for blacks and another for whites. It extends to grad school admissions, faculty hiring and promotions, and now extends to the promotions of our football coaches.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Now wait a minute Barny...last week you told me that I had one of the most ignorant comments ever posted on the site! Are you two-timing me?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 11, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

When I search for the Yow quote that Franklin was promoted because of his race, all I keep getting are various quotes from Barno saying that Yao said that. Could someone please post the actual Yow quote? Thanks.

Posted by: EdDC | November 11, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

For gosh sakes, stop the race card talk...If Ralph goes, so will Franklin, and they will hire another white coach..Hopefully, he will have ties to Maryland.. If Ralph stays, he'll have to decide if he wants to keep Franklin.. My guess, Franklin takes his $1Mil and books, thinking he's some God's gift to coaching.. Oops, my bad.. I'm saying stop the race talk, and I'm talking religion..

Posted by: frostanna | November 11, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frostanna | November 11, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

EdDC, hopefully this ends this discussion. The Yow quotes were taken directly from here:

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Barno, why are you so he'll bent on a black guy getting the head coaching job at Maryland? Is there something you want to get off your chest?

Posted by: epdaly | November 11, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Hell bent against

Posted by: epdaly | November 11, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I do not prefer all black coaches over all white ones as a general matter. You get the best coach you can. In the case of the Terps, however, it is a plus for me if my institution overcomes 118 years of racial exclusion in hiring the next HC, as long as he is more qualified than the majority candidate.

Why wouldn't it be a plus, all other things equal? It doesn't have to be considered a plus by everyone, but if it is a plus to some--all other things equal--then what's wrong with that?

If you are a minority, much of what you accomplish is credited to race--being handed something undeserved because of your race. What a terrible insult to the person who has achieved. Why can't an achievement just be accepted as an achievement for minorities as well as for whites?

Posted by: EdDC | November 11, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Barno,
Please don't turn this board into a forum to espouse your political beliefs. If you want to talk about affirmative action, do it somewhere else. Franklin was offered the coach-in-waiting job because he was obviously the best recruiter we had and Fridge didn't want to lose him. Although I hate his play-calling, I don't think he would be a disaster as head coach. Firstly, he would name an OC who would be in charge of play-calling. Secondly, he would be in a stronger position to recruit as a HC. That said, I would much rather have the Fridge stay on than pass the baton to Franklin because I think the Fridge is a superior head coach.

Posted by: aviscardo | November 11, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Hi, my name is Barn-0-One and I'm here to tell everyone about my political and racial leanings. Even though it is only an opinion, what I say is to be taken solely as fact. I love coming here (and other blogs on the WaPo) and discussing race relations, even though I actually know very little about them. I'll continue to spew my nonsense and make it come off as fact because that's all I have going for me at the moment.

And of course no one else wants to turn a sports blog into a political/race blog but that's exactly what I will do. This isn't the first time I've pulled this stunt, and it certainly won't be the last.

That said, if you challenge me, Barn-0-One, I'll copy/save your post, call you names, and report you to WaPo and local authorities. I'm that much of al oser.

Oh, and I'm Barn-0-One, the dogless guy on Terp Insider.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | November 11, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back Dixon. Great post. My biggest concern in reading all of the comments on this post is that Barno may be leaving us. It's clear that he is a real legal eagle and it must be only a matter of hours before some top law firm brings him in as managing partner. Is there anything Barno doesn't know? Anything?

Posted by: petecard | November 11, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

SERIOUSLY, this blog needs Al Sharpton, The Grand Wizard,(of the KKK, not our B-Ball team), Jesse Jackson, and just for fun, Jeff Foxworthy.. What the heck, let's throw Don Imus, Keith Olberman, and Sarah Palin in... Stop the Madness !!!

Posted by: frostanna | November 11, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

118 years means nothing. It is not the job of administrators today to make up for things that occurred when none of us were alive.

This also applies to every other industry in this country.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 11, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

epdaly, I am not hell bent on a black guy getting or not getting the head coaching gig, I couldn't care less what the race is of our head coach. There are plenty of people of any race who would make good coaches here. What I am hell bent on is making sure the process is colorblind and race doesn't play any part. Translation: I am hell bent on the university not breaking the law in order to hire a coach of their preferred skin color. If the best head coaching candidate is black, by all means please hire him.

aviscardo, I didn't bring up Franklin's race and affirmative action being the reason he got the job, Debbie Yow did. I think it's perfectly reasonable to discuss her comments in a Terps forum.

Poopy, good to see you back. You seem to be getting a little braver each day with your comments. Why don't you tell everyone how you tried emailing Dan Steinberg a list of my comments and tried to get me banned? Hypocrite.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

And I think Franklin will be a good head coach. I like his recruiting and his energy.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 11, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Your link, cited above, requires a membership. Is there an actual Yow quote that says she hired a lesser candidate because of his race? Or that she promoted Franklin only because of his race? Likely what happened is that she hired the best candidate, and it is a nice plus that he breaks the Terps' tradition of racial exclusion. The 118 years are not irrelevant to everyone, and if we can get beyond that--with someone who is also the best candidate--then that's fine.

The Terps have had some pretty awful HCs over time. I like the Fridge but the Terps have been stuck in a recruiting hole for a long while. A shake up is needed. I'm sure Debbie wanted to bring in a recognized top recruiter with a proven record--a young coach with loads of growth potential-- as HC, and that was her primary motivation. If given a chance, Franklin will provide the shake up and take the Terps to a recruiting level it has not seen around here for a long while. Let's just leave race out of it. Dwelling on race sends a wrong signal.

Posted by: EdDC | November 11, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Barno, I'm not trying to sound condescending but just wondering if you have been to college or are you just a fan from Maryland? You see things very black-and-white and take extremely hard stances on every line you read and draw major conclusions from throwaway statements in articles and posts. If you're just some 15 year old kid that is a fan of the team, it all makes sense. If you're a grown man, then I'm confused. Ok, maybe it was a little condescending but an honest question nonetheless.

Posted by: epdaly | November 11, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Ed, we can agree to leave it at that. If you want to find the whole comments, just go back and google it and you'll see I have posted her full quote before. I just want to make clear since some including epdaly have insinuated that I am a racist for opposing racial discrimination by the university. I am not, and I am not in any way opposed to a black head coach at UMD or anywhere else. I simply believe the no preference should be given to anyone based on skin color, and I wish the university felt the same way.

That's it, and go Terps

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

epdaly, I fight against racial preferences for a living. Knowing that I am a big MD fan, Yow's comments about Franklin found their way onto my desk by one of the lawyers at my office. It's pretty amusing you are asking if I am 15, considering you have offered no counter arguments whatsoever to my wanting a colorblind hiring process at my alma mater, except to imply I am a racist. Why don't you take a seat at the kids table epdaly, the grown ups are talking.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

All hiring (at least for top jobs, the non-routine jobs that require judgment) is subjective to a large extent. This has been true throughout history. Even when only white males could have been considered for the good jobs (i.e, throughout 90 percent or so of American history), it was still subjective. In fact, hiring is probably less subjective now than it has ever been, simply because more qualified applicants are being considered today. The talent pool is greater.

It still frequently happens of course that whites tend to hire whites, but that is happening less and less, which lessens the subjectivity of the process compared to years past. This is a good thing. In the case of the Terps, it helps the football program to have an expanded base of applicants.

Yow made her best judgment to pick the best candidate for Maryland. No, I'm not going to go back and search out all the Barno quotes in various posts to find Yow's quote. If her quote was so bad, why wouldn't someone have picked it up in the general news media so that a Google search would call it up? Nonetheless, it is highly unlikely that Yow said she was hiring a lesser candidate because of his race. She didn't say that because she didn't do that.

When you have a top job, reporters call you up and ask you all sorts of questions. I'm sure when Yow made the HCIW decision, many reporters explored a racial angle in a host of questions posed to her. When she answered the questions, it made her look like she was injecting race into the equation, when she was just responding the best she could to all the questions.

Posted by: EdDC | November 11, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

This goes way beyond your "if my beloved Ralph loses his job to Franklin, it's racial discrimination" argument. I think the jury has already ruled against you there. I just think you're declarations about what is and isn't right about being a fan and hyperbole over how great Friedgen is and how horrible Poopy is, etc. are all resembling one of a 12 year old boy. I said 15 because I wanted to build you up. I guess the only conclusion I can make is you must be a face-painter.

Posted by: epdaly | November 11, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

This goes way beyond your "if my beloved Ralph loses his job to Franklin, it's racial discrimination" argument. I think the jury has already ruled against you there. I just think your declarations about what is and isn't right about being a fan and hyperbole over how great Friedgen is and how horrible Poopy is, etc. are all resembling one of a 12 year old boy. I said 15 because I wanted to build you up. I guess the only conclusion I can make is you must be a face-painter.

Posted by: epdaly | November 11, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

"When she answered the questions, it made her look like she was injecting race into the equation, when she was just responding the best she could to all the questions."

Good lord, I could believe this if the school hadn't gone out of their way over and over again to point out his race in all of their press releases about his promotion. Yow stated the day he was given the new title that it is "icing on the cake when the time comes when you find an ethnic minority who is the total package." Say what?

I could believe it if they hadn't done the same for newly hired AD Kevin Anderson in going out of their way to point out his skin color (as well as the skin color of the other finalist in contention for the position). I could believe it if the school hadn't done the same for newly hired president Woh. Or Jin Soo Choi when they bragged about him being the first Korean player at the school. Or the Jewish Jordan. Or Bob Wade. Or Debbie Yow. But the fact is EVERY time the university makes one of these 'affirmative hires' as Debbie Yow calls them, they go out of their way to publicize SPECIFICALLY that they hired a minority or a women.

Bringing up people's race or ethnicity after you've just hired them or promoted them is unseemly, unnecessary, and leads to suspicion and resentment by others. Why do it? Because the university is filled with those who enjoy engaging in identity politics and flaunting the law.

good night.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Race schmace...back to reality because Franklin's skin color has no bearing on the actions that will be taken by the University henceforth, regardless of what Yow said. The HCIW will never fly. And it ONLY costs a mill to wiggle out of.

Do not look at it as taxpayer money, its the new ACC TV contract with ESPN. JF likely won't ascend (I think the Houston analogy above was spot on as the exception) and he will be paid when he doesn't. And it more than offsets any losses in seat revenue at Byrd for whatever reason (fan apathy vs. the economy).

We may not have an ACC network like the Big10 but all of the member schools athletic departments are sitting pretty for the next few years.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 11, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

If it's the first in history, it might mean something to some people. Might be noteworthy.

I remember when i was a student at U of Md, and the U first started to integrate the teams. At the time, you saw all those confederate flags and George Wallace for President signs on Fraternity Row off Route 1. I felt proud that the U was going in a better direction. It wasn't something unremarkable to me, but very noteworthy. Is the hiring of the first black coach in University history remarkable today? Maybe not to most people, and I understand that. If it is unremarkable, it is a great sign of progress. I like the idea of using brains as well as brawn from the full talent pool, but that's just me.

Anyway, the Yow quote confirms that she did not hire someone because he was black. She did not hire someone who was a lesser candidate. Rather she hired the complete package, with a nice plus because the hire overcomes many decades of racial bias.

Posted by: EdDC | November 12, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

OK, before I am corrected: the first black football coach in U history.

Posted by: EdDC | November 12, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Or when they went "Obese" with Fridge?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 12, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Barny writes:

Yow Press Release:

Today, the University of Maryland announces the hiring of the first 400lb football coach in the history of the Atlantic Coast Conference! A real heavyweight among his peers...he will chew through opposing defenses like they were the Golden Corral buffet line

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 12, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

The irony in your comments Terp"fan" is that I think it actually is tougher to become a college coach these days if you are 400+ lbs than if you are a minority. The barriers for coaches of color no longer exist, or if they do they are a far cry from the barriers from years ago. However Friedgen should have gotten a head coaching gig a lot sooner than he did, simply based on his record as an O-coordinator at both the D1 level and in the NFL. There is little doubt in my mind that his size played a role in AD's not wanting to hire him.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

And Barny, there is no doubt whatsoever that it negatively impacts recruiting as well....that being said, if i thought for even 1 minute that he was able to get his players to overachieve as Gary does, I would have no problem with him as coach, whatever his size, but the facts just dont support it and the evidence on the field doesnt support it...how many years do you have to go back in order to find a team that legitimately challenged for the conference title or was ranked in the Top 25..notice, I used the word LEGITIMATELY..do not try to use this year as an example, where we hope that Duke beats FSU or Clemson loses to Wake Forest etc etc etc....my guess is (without my press guide in front of me) that it has been at least half a decade

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 12, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

In the meantime, I think epdaly has barny pegged accurately...barny is clearly one of undeveloped intellect as he cannot conceptualize opinions contrary to his own without namecalling and insults....I hope he is just a HS kid or casual fan and that he is not an example of a UM education

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 12, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

This discussion would make a great movie. Fridge is being replaced by Franklin after a string of so-so seasons. Next, Fridge files a lawsuit against the University of Md for discrimination against white guys in the selection of the next HC. All the late-night talk shows have a lot of yuks about this, since Md has only hired white guys as HC in its history of football, spanning three centuries in 118 years.

But along comes Barno, an amazing attorney who convinces the jury that whites, as a group, are being victimized. Franklin gets bounced out of the U without his $1 million buyout, since he is part of the conspiracy against white guys. The U humbly apologizes to Ralph for racial discrimination against him. After some dramatic pleading and begging, Ralph agrees to come back as HC and leads the U to a national championship. Meanwhile, Barno becomes the darling of conservatives. Sarah Palin invites him to be on her ticket in 2012. The movie ends with Palin elected President, and Barno VP, with our hero Barno giving a rousing acceptance speech as the curtain closes.

Posted by: EdDC | November 12, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

EdDC, as you keep demonstrating, these issues go way, way over your head. You've made it crystal clear that do not understand the law, and regardless, you don't care whether the University engages in racial preferences. It's all perfectly acceptable to you since the university--along with just about every institution in this country--USED to discriminate against blacks decades ago. It doesnt' matter to you that your rationale for racial preferences today (making up for past discrimination) has been ruled unconstitutional by the supreme court. I'm glad you find discrimination against whites so funny. You already outed yourself as someone who prefers a black head coach, well that tells us all we need to know about you. Simply put, you are an ignoramus.

As for Terp"fan"MA, how did Fridge land consecutive top 15 recruiting classes in 04 and 05 if his weight so severely hampers recruiting. Just because you are prejudiced against overweight people, doesn't mean every athlete we recruit is.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Barny...I am not convinced that UMD football had consecutive top 15 recruiting classes, but in either case, you have made my point about Ralphie underachieving with his kids...I guess those would be the kids who were seniors on the 09 / 10 teams...the record and on field performance speaks for itself..no need to rehash it here....if Ralph was a more normal weight, those classes might have been top 10...can you prove differently?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 12, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 12, 2010 12:10 PM

Lol. Real big fan you must be. Um, Terp"fan"MA, the last time we challenged for the conference title AND were ranked in the top 25 was 2008. We were in 1st place in the ACC in Mid November and we were nationally ranked, having beaten 4 ranked teams already that season.

Did you start following this team in 2009?

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who cannot decipher the bizarre characters and comments on this blog??

I enjoy Eric Prisbell's writing, but I'm completely mystified by this blog. Who is Barno? Is this blog his personal fan club? Who is Poopy? Is someone mistreating a dog? What does any of this have to do with Terp football?

Posted by: RITerp | November 12, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

All that is your inference, Barno--what you think I think. What I have said is that Md should hire the best football HC. If he is a minority then I regard that as a plus, given the U history. If it is not a plus for you, fine--as I have said, I understand and appreciate that, especially since you obviously firmly believe that the U stopped discriminatory hiring and promotion practices many decades ago.

It is perfectly OK with me that when the U hires its first minority as football HC, whenever that may be, it can leave racial references out of its press release. I have no problem with that, even though many would regard the hiring as historic. Leaving out the reference would be a sign of progress. But if the press release does point out that a hire of a minority football HC is the first in U of M history dating back to 1892, that in itself does not mean that white guys are being discriminated against! That is absurd. You would have to demonstrate that the U hired a lesser candidate because of his race. The U said they hired the complete package, regardless of race, and I believe the U. A court would too.

Posted by: EdDC | November 12, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

EdDC, to be fair, I don't think you have seen the full quote from Yow yet. This is what the ACC Sports site reported:

"Only because Franklin is a 'qualified minority,' according to Yow, did College Park administrators willingly agree to his preemptive promotion. 'It’s part of our fabric,' she said of affirmative hiring."

Now, those who are not aware of the studies which show an absolutely massive degree to which the University of Maryland uses racial preferences will likely stress the fact that Yow used the word "qualified." They will point to race being "just one factor" in the school's decisions, amongst many other factors.

Anyhow, it is my hope that Friedgen continues to win games this year and beyond and renders this issue moot. If we win 9 or 10 games this year, it would be pretty hard not to give the man an extension.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

End of season rankings Barny...c'mon man..its like trying to argue that UMD is a top 30 caliber team because we got a couple of "also ran" votes 2 weeks ago...

Oh yes, right the magical 2008 season, where Fridge threw up all over the field when we played Middle Tenn and Virginia...good example barny...face it..your beloved heavy just cant put together a consistant winner...he will upset a couple of good teams along the way, but then puke all over himself the next week against some mid major..and yes, I realize that upsets happen to everyone but UMD more than most..actually, I take that back ..we dont often get upset because we are usually the underdog

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 12, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

how can you be "legitimately contend for the conference title" after the season is over? You asked when was the last time we contended for the title, well, the answer was 2008. Prior to that it was 2006. You asked when was the last time we were ranked. Well, the answer is 2008. Prior to that it was 2006.

Why you masquerade as a Terps "fan" is beyond me Brooks.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

"The Terps have had some pretty awful HCs over time. I like the Fridge but the Terps have been stuck in a recruiting hole for a long while. A shakeup is needed."
___________________

That comment may be accurate, but seriously, what coach could Maryland get that could truly engineer a shakeup? It's obvious football is not a big part of the College Park culture; this is not Virginia Tech or Clemson or Florida State (or any SEC or Big Ten school). No hot-shot coach is going to come to a place where he plays second fiddle on campus, because five-star football recruits aren't going to come to such a place.

Until Maryland fans change their basketball-first culture and quit their stupid obsession with Duke and UNC, football -- the engine that drives collegiate athletic programs -- will never amount to anything here (unless Maryland suddenly gets a Big Ten invitation, and I fear that may not happen for a few years, if ever).

Posted by: VPaterno | November 12, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

V,

I can buy what you are saying there. Sometimes a coaching change helps, though, if you go with a proven recruiter. The impact of Mike London on the Virginia football program looks pretty good (see today's WaPost). Franklin has boosted the Terps' recruiting fortunes and should be able to do even more as HC. You have to start somewhere.

Posted by: EdDC | November 13, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse