How many ACC teams are better than Maryland?

By Eric Prisbell

The important thing to remember with the following poll is that you can select more than one answer. It’s our version of ACC power rankings. So the percentages will not add up to 100. I just want to get a sense of how many people feel certain teams are better than Maryland in this fairly muddled, fairly mediocre conference (superior to the ghastly Big East, of course). Maryland is an interesting team to study:

Look at Maryland’s record, you may think this team should be in the top 25. Look closer, you may think they are only slightly better than average because they possess one win against a team with a winning record. Look even closer, you may be back thinking this team should be in the top 25. And that’s where I stand with this team after 10 games. Yes, I understand the weakness of the schedule and the zero wins against ACC teams with winning records. But I learned the most about Maryland from the Miami game. Miami’s not bad. And Maryland came within a play of beating a desperate Miami team. Maryland is good – not very good, just good – but getting better. That’s why the Terrapins have a chance to win this winnable Atlantic Division. They have a chance, and no one outside the Gossett Team House believed that in August.

With this poll, for example, if you believe VT, FSU and UNC are better than Maryland, pick all three. Again, you can make more than one selection.

By Eric Prisbell  | November 15, 2010; 8:48 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A big day for Maryland's Torrey Smith against Virginia
Next: Maryland's Danny O'Brien earns ACC rookie of the week honors

Comments

Whats funny is that only 30% of responders thought Clemson was better than UMD (31-7 says otherwise) and barely half thought Miami was better....I guess there must be another way to determine better other than the score on the field...if there is, then playing all these games is just silly

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 15, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

That's not really funny, TerpfanMA, it's par for the course on this site. But don't make the mistake of being honest, the Thought Police will trash you. By the way, you didn't mention Miami, but that's because we really are better than the Canes, we just had some crazy stuff happen to us. Really!

Posted by: petecard | November 15, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Terp"fan"MA, do us all a favor and go away this week. In fact, just go away period. You are the most miserable fan the Terps have and your presence adds nothing to this blog.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 15, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

You called it Pete...it was only 2 mins after your post that loony barny was out again...I thought he was supposed to be busy during the day fighting racial injustice (except when UMD wants to hire a black coach) but apparently he has extra time on his hands....

Barny, just an fyi that "personal attacks" violate the WaPos posting standards which are displayed below...be careful

hahahahahahahahaha

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 15, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I have to laugh! The Baltimore Sun has an article today about Fridges pre-season goals for the team....

One of them is to win at least 7 games! What a hoot! Thats barely .500....Do you think Gary has that as a goal? And surprise surprise...one of the 2 coaches has WON a National Championship and the other is barely holding onto his job.....

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 15, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

The Terps had every reason to win the Miami game, but were done in by one coverage gaffe and some poor playcalling. I think if the two were to suit up again, I think the Terps might come out on top.

As far as Clemson goes, the Terps just couldn't get going in Death Valley, and they were still trying to figure out life with Danny O'Brien as the starting QB. The score does not adequitely show how close the game was, and I believe that if the two lined up again, even in SC, the Terps would give the Tigers a fight and probably could leave with a victory.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 15, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Clemson's 3-4 in conference compared to Maryland's 4-2. Plus Clemson's win over Maryland was in Clemson...

The Patriots lost to the Browns last week in Cleveland, but most folks still think the Patriots are the better team...

Posted by: msveasey | November 15, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

TerpfanMA- can you read? There is not and never has been any mention of Ralph setting 7 wins as a goal for the season. It has been well documented that Debbie Yow threw that # out there as a reasonable goal coming off a 2 win season.

You want to talk mediocrity- you must not be old enough to remember the 90's and MD football during that time. Do you have any recollection of what MD football was like under Krivak, Duffner or Vanderlinden? Do you really expect MD to be on par w/ the Texas's, USC's, Penn St's and ohio St's recruiting out of the lacrosse hotbed that is the state of MD?

Posted by: asnis715 | November 15, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Russ,

Good post. I had similar thoughts.

Miami-MD outcome was determined by one fantastic throw. It was at Miami. MD most likely wins if they play at CP. They are "about even".

Clemson is fading. Clemson won, but I think MD would win a rematch. MD outgained Clemson and the game was much closer than the score indicates. I see MD improving while Clemson might be fading a bit.

NC St and Fl St -- we have two weeks to see what happens. There wasn't a choice to abstain voting for or agaisnt a particular team. The way the poll was worded, it essentially asks: "Which teams are clearly better than MD?"

Gotta go with VT, hard to say about NC St and Fl St until we play 'em. Other than that, the rest are "about even" with MD or worse.

As far as this year's "success" goes:

I predicted 5-7 or 6-6. 7-5 absolute max. If they win out (9-2) or beat either NC St or Fl St (8-3) I will be impressed.

The difference makers have been Don Brown and Danny O'Brien. I didn't expect the success these two have had. Some posters are criticizing the secondary, but Don Brown's defense is aggressive which leaves the DBs on their own in 1-on-1 coverage.

Which brings me to the "Brian Billick" conundrum. Remember when everyone thought Brian Billick was an "offensive genius" because the Vikings were a scoring machine. And then he got the HC job for the Ravens? Turns out, his offensive genius was telling Daunte Culpeper to chuck the football in the general direction of Randy Moss. Randy Moss was so good, he made Billick and Culpeper look great. Well, Danny O'Brien is so good, he will make an average coach(es) (Fridge-Franklin)look great.

Posted by: larry31 | November 15, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Petecard,

The Terps are playing in your backyard this week at MSG against Pitt and Illinois/Texas. Are you going to support your team?

I'd like to hear your take on on this year's squad. Last year's team absolutely maxed out given the talent they had. 13-3 in the ACC to tie Duke was a lot of fun to watch.

We are picked to finish 6th in the ACC (same as last year). I think this team will finish in the top 4. This team has a lot more talent. The main problem is integrating 6 new players into a cohesive unit. Looks like the two awesome guards (Stoglin adn Howard) will be in the regular rotation as well as Hauker Pallson adn Berend Weijs. Pallson looks like a major steal especially considering he didn't even start on his high school team.

Quick notes: 2011 Terp recruit Sterling Gibbs' brother play for Pitt. Sterling Gibbs is supposed to be better than his brother.

With Sterling Gibbs and Nick Faust coming in next year, combined with Stoglin and Howard, MD basketball is looking very strong for the next 3-4 years.

Posted by: larry31 | November 15, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

If MD beats FSU this weekend, will Terp"fan"MA say MD is better than FSU? Of course not. This guy is just a loser who has no connection to UMD whatsoever.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 15, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that some feel that Maryland is the best team in the ACC. Well, we have 2 games left and they're both at home. At least we didn't lose to JMU.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 15, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Until he got to "And that’s where I stand with this team after 10 games." I thought he was talking basketball.

Posted by: richs91 | November 15, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

If they beat FLST, then everybody piles on the bandwagon. There is room enough for all. To be fair, I think half of the negative remarks from TFMA, Pete and Pelleas are posted to set Barno and the KADs off. So WHEN the Terps beat FL ST expect Barno to GLEEFULLY re-post many of these remarks even as the RMOGs are celebrating (or attempting to celebrate) along with the rest of us.

"WHEN?" seriously, "WHEN?"

Well if not this time, then when? We have as much as an advantage as we'll ever have against FLST. Cold weather (I recall seeing a stat about how terrible FL ST is playing in cold weather), our turf, some injuries on their side and a loud crowd. If Miami was an opportunity, this game is the golden f*ing opportunity. Our guys have to exploit it. As young as this team is, they need to comprehend that they may not be in this position (a clear path to the ACCCG/BCS) again. Yes, the future looks bright. Brilliant even. But this win, this year, at home under the bright lights will make all of the difference.

All they have to do is score one more point than FLST. I expect them to do so...and look forward to the (re)postings I predicted above to take place in the aftermath.

Wow. For once I would take a win over FLST over a BB win over Pitt. But I'm hoping for both and EXPECTING the FB team to deliver.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 15, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

This team has a lot more talent.

Posted by: larry31 | November 15, 2010 12:15 PM |

It is funny how this has become a consensus opinion for most of us. We lost GV, LM and EH (as well as Burney who was a hyped big when we got him) and Goins (who was a "sleeper" who never played like Burney). Two non-entity bigs but 3 1k point scorers, one of whom is an all-time great. No one is expecting a drop-off from last year (we did start slow last year) whatsoever. But I think that the 3 games thus far support the raw talent improvement opinion.

My one thought of MD BB history is that occassionally, we have seen a young stud regress during his JR/SR season. Excree Hipp sticks out as does T. Morris. Moseley's woes the last two games cloud his stellar performance in the first game. I saw more than one prediction that he would be the leading scorer for the team. I think his funk is temporary and he'll play his way out of it. If not we have plenty of options to take those minutes and produce.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 15, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Hugh,
I disagree with your "when?" analysis. I think the team will be way stronger in the years to come. Danny is just a freshman. DJ Adams is a freshman. Our O-line has some beasts coming up (White, Garcia, Conabay, Clarke). We only have 8 seniors in the two-deep. The other top teams in our division are all losing their QB's after this year (FSU: Ponder, Clemson: Parker, NC State: Wilson). If the Terps aren't favored to win the division next year, they never will be. That said, I'd love them to beat FSU and NC State and take the drive down to Charlotte for the ACCCG this year. But, the future is bright for UMd football.

Posted by: aviscardo | November 15, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Aviscardo -

I do not disagree about the future in terms of talent and experience. Regardless, this season is like every single season - an opportunity to win important games. We may not have as soft a schedule. We may get hit with injuries. We may lose more than a few players to the NFL (or heaven forbid - academics). Things can go wrong. And being favored never guarantees success.

We have the chance to be highly ranked at the end of the season even if we are currently unranked.

I believe firmly that the likelihood of huge wins and big seasons THEN increases with success NOW.

We are in the optimal spot against a powerhouse - at home and in the cold with everything at stake. The team should get better talent-wise or experience-wise for the next couple of years, but better situated? We had a fair schedule this year; I don't know who we have OOC next year. Did we get a softer conference schedule (Duke?) because of our last place finish last year? And finally, the worst to first story would be huge if we were somehow in the BCS and only be marginally tainted if we lost the ACCCG but won a major bowl game. We won't be Cinderella again for (hopefully) a long, long time.
11-3 this year is worth a lot more than 11-3 next year. By the same token 10-4 this year is worth a lot more than 10-4 next year. We may even have a better record but be in no position to compete in the ACCCG.

All we need is one more point than FL ST.

Success now will breed success later.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 15, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Veasy...YES, I can read but the question is can you???

Here is the opening statement from the article which I clearly referenced in my post...

BALTIMORE SUN

Before the season began, Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen listed a series of goals for his players on a white screen with black lettering.

The goals began with "Beat the next opponent," "Win a minimum of 7 games"

At the end of the day, Barny et al, hate/despise/ridicule me because I have a realistic assessment of this team and Fridges program ...this team has beaten no one of any consequence this season...I am not telling you that you cant puff your chest out and run around telling everyone that fridge is great and should be COY based upon his dismal performance last year etc...I just dont see it..I see a coach whose shortcomings have created a middle of the road program..we havent finished in the top 25 in almost 7 years, bowl games have largely been gimmees because there are 20,000 bowl games today and I dont see any evidence that anything changes under fridge...his goals are low and even those are rarely achieved...so call me names if you wish but I can tell you if we had a competitor coaching the program things would be better...we deserve better...every sports program at UMD is performing well except football...If you think the team is so good, then why are we 0-3 against good teams this year? Last year, he served up a turd...this year, he put a bow on it...big deal

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 15, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

The schedule is not set based on the previous years' record, it was set for 10 years when the ACC expanded to 12 teams. Maryland was just lucky to get Duke, but then it was unlucky to get Miami away along with their "locked" inter-divisional game with UVA.

Next year, the Terps get Miami and UVA at home, while going on the road to Georgia Tech. In 2012, GaTech is home, while they play UNC and UVA away. In 2013, UNC and UVA come to Byrd, while they travel to Va Tech. In 2014, the Terps get VaTech at home, and Duke and UVA on the road. In 2015, UVA and Duke come to Maryland, while they play Miami on the road.

BTW, the Texas game in 2018 is officially at FedEx. Also Texas has scheduled a home and home series with USC the same years as the series with the Terps, so if for some strange reason the Terps are in the hunt for the National Championship those years, they don't have to worry about a soft non-conference schedule from Texas.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 15, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"Last year, he served up a turd...this year, he put a bow on it...big deal"

Last year was terrible, no doubt. I still don't understand why you're trying to paint this season as being unsuccessful. This team is one play from being 8-2 and in complete control for the Atlantic Division. As it is, they have 2 home games left that give them a birth in Charlotte if victorious. They beat Wake by the largest margin in a conference game in years. They beat BC (a team that will probably be bowling) on the road more convincing than the score would suggest. They pulled away from a UVA team that beat Miami and has put some serious points on the board. They were in the game against Clemson until turnovers and a special teams play blew open a close game. They admittedly stunk against WVU, but this is a completely different team now with DOB at the helm.

I just don't understand the skepticism towards a team that is clearly getting better each week, and winning all of the games it's supposed to. Aside from the WVU loss, there's embarrassing loss on the schedule...no JMU loss or MTSU loss or App. State loss on the record. Just give it a break---If the Terps lose out, you can call the season a mirage, but until they fail to win a game they should, this is a team that has earned some level of respect, especially following such a disasterous season.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 15, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

TerpFan MA- i like how you selectively left off the rest of the quote regarding team goals. Kind of like you selectively failing to appreciate the state of the MD football program prior to Ralph getting here. Trust me, I've bashed Ralph plenty over the past 5-6 yrs, he's got his flaws (HCIW/O/C being #1) but frankly without him, I and others wouldnt have even cared enough to bash a coach if he hadnt changed the program and set expectations higher. Trust me, your antics suggest you're 12, so Joe Krivak and Mark Dufner may not mean anything to you, but I, like most others, will gladly take a "middle of the road" program that plays meaningful games in Nov with a chance to go to an ACC title game 2 out of 3 yrs. There may be "20,000 thousand bowl games" these days, but Krivak, Dufner and Vanderlinden still wouldnt have qualified for any with their 3-5 win seasons

Posted by: asnis715 | November 15, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Hugh,
I'm with you. Just pointing out that the next two games aren't make or break for the program cause the next few years are gonna be even better. That said, I think we have a good chance to knock off the Seminoles.

Posted by: aviscardo | November 15, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Heres why I am skeptical...the fridge like one of those slacker employees at work who does mediocre work (he admitted himself that he mentally took 2004 off) and vacillates between good/bad...performance slips, then he gets a stern talking to from his boss and miraculously, things begin to improve...then next year when the heat is off, he will slip back to his old mediocre self...guaranteed...he just doesnt have the competitive "we are going to win" attitude....even years when his teams were good, he trashed the opportunity for a great season by losing to MTSU or some other huge underdog...at the end of the day, hes just one of those guys who always says he will try but never says he will....what you hear from him that you dont get from Gary is stuff like "it just didnt work out for us" or "God gave us this game" or "were gonna try our hardest".."hopefully we will get better" etc etc etc....my issue is not with the Terps (much to barnys chagrin)..I have been a fan/student/alum long before fridge came along and will be long after he is gone...but I dont think he is a good football coach...here we are after 10 years and this team has no identity and no real blueprint for success...and as dumb as he is, he should be thanking his almight god for danny o because this fat turkey had him sitting on the bench until jamarr got injured...(again, wheres the player eval?)...just like slaton etc and on and on it goes.....he will be back next year and we will win 6 games and go to another december bowl but this team will not pick up the pace until hes gone

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 15, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone considered that TerpfanMA and I are actually the same person???? Only kidding but it is amazing how much I agree with his posts. Of course I tend to dislike MA residents as they are usually Red Sox fans, but TerpfanMA is worthy of an exception!

Posted by: petecard | November 15, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

If we go to ACC championship game, will that be enough? I would like to know what Terphater will need to happen over the next 2 games to consider this a successful season. Please disclose this to the group and state your case.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 15, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Garrett...read my post above and then you will be able to figure out the answer to your question....HINT: Nowhere in my post is there any mention of ACC championship or winning the next 2 games

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 16, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

You are basing your opinion on things you have no insight on. It is pretty arrogant to think that you know what his plans or lack of plans for the program are. Unless you are a member of the athletic department I don't think anyone should take your opinion seriously since it is just based on your interpretation of post-game quotes.

Plus you have some weird obsession with his weight. Do you have more of a problem with him not looking like the coach you want him to be?

It is fair to say you aren't pleased with results on the field, but to call for his head because of what you think his attitude is, is somewhat ridiculous.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 16, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

So every other year fridge pukes up a winning season? zip itty do dah

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 16, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse