Posted at 1:55 PM ET, 11/29/2010

O'Brien, Smith, Perez earn ACC player of the week honors

By Eric Prisbell

Wide receiver Torrey Smith, quarterback Danny O'Brien and safety Antwine Perez all earned ACC honors this week for their performances in the victory over N.C. State. This from the ACC release:

OFFENSIVE BACK – Torrey Smith, Maryland, WR, Jr., 6-1, 205, Colonial Beach, Va. (Stafford). Smith turned in one of the most outstanding performances by a receiver in Maryland history, setting the school’s single-game record with four touchdown receptions, while setting career highs with 14 receptions and 224 receiving yards as Maryland knocked off No. 21 NC State 38-31. His receiving yardage is the third most in a single game in school history and 18th-most on the ACC books, while his receptions are just two off the ACC mark. Smith’s 1,045 yards are the second-most in a season in school history. Smith finished the regular season with 12 TD catches, which is a Maryland record and is tied for the ninth most in a season in ACC history. In addition to his receiving yards, Smith had 48 kickoff return yards, giving him 272 all-purpose yards in the game. He broke Lamont Jordan’s school record for career all-purpose yards, and his 5,183 yards ranks seventh on the ACC career list.

DEFENSIVE BACK – Antwine Perez, Maryland, S, Sr., 6-1, 210, Westville Grove, N.J. (Woodrow Wilson/USC) Perez had a terrific all-around game in Maryland’s win over NC State, which enabled the Terps to finish 8-4 on the regular season, a six-game improvement from 2009. The senior, making his final home appearance, had a team and career-high 11 tackles, including six solo stops. He also forced and recovered a fumble, broke up one potential touchdown pass, had one of the team’s eight tackles for loss and returned a blocked kick 35 yards to set up a field goal. Perez has been strong down the stretch, posting at seven tackles in each of the last four games. He ranks tied for third in the ACC in fumbles recovered (0.25 pg) and tied for fifth in passes defended (0.92 pg).

ROOKIE – Danny O’Brien, Maryland, QB, r-Fr., 6-3, 215, Kernersville, N.C. (East Forsyth). In the victory over NC State, O’Brien became the first Maryland quarterback to throw for 400 yards in a game since 1993, racking up a career-high 417 yards (fourth-highest total in school history) while completing 33-of-47 passes for four touchdowns and no interceptions. The freshman made up for the lack of a running game, as Maryland was held to minus-9 yards on the ground, and led the Terps to their first victory over a ranked opponent since a win over No. 17 North Carolina in 2008. O’Brien was at his best in the second half, completing 13 of 17 passes for 227 yards and three scores. He led the Terps to scores on four of their final six drives of the game. O’Brien, who ranks fourth in the ACC and third nationally among freshmen in passing efficiency (135.20 rating), has 21 TD passes this season, the second most in school history, and has accounted for 23 total TDs, the first Maryland player to do so since 2003.

By Eric Prisbell  | November 29, 2010; 1:55 PM ET
Categories:  Danny O'Brien, Football, Ralph Friedgen
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland's Ralph Friedgen and the ACC coach of the year race
Next: Six Maryland players earn all-ACC honors

Comments

I look forward to posting when we get chosen to play at a more prestigious bowl. It's going to be fun Eric. My favorite part will be reading your explanation for how you got it so wrong. Why you felt the need to say we are going to the Military Bowl 50 times in the last month is beyond me.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 27, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

By Eric Prisbell
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, November 29, 2010; 1:04 AM

Three attention-grabbing developments Saturday night blurred the ACC bowl picture and enhanced Maryland's 'long-shot' hopes of landing in a warm-weather locale, according to bowl executives and officials throughout the conference.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 29, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

If O'Brien isn't on the national all freshman team as well as freshman of the year in the ACC, there is something wrong.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | November 29, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

ERIC PRISBELL TODAY:

"When reached Sunday, Steve Beck, the executive director of the Dec. 29 Military Bowl at RFK Stadium, said Maryland's 38-31 victory over N.C. State was great for the Terrapins but not so much for his bowl game, which was hoping to maximize local appeal with Maryland as the ACC representative.

"Said Beck, 'I am less optimistic, that's for sure,' about landing Maryland."
---------------------------

ERIC PRISBELL YESTERDAY:

"In doing so, Maryland (8-4, 5-3) may have indeed earned more respect Saturday, but their postseason hopes remain the same: They will likely play in the Military Bowl at RFK Stadium on Dec. 29 against a Conference USA team, perhaps East Carolina."
----------------------------------

ERIC PRISBELL, 2 DAYS AGO, IN A COMMENT THAT HAS NOW BEEN SUSPICIOUSLY DELETED FROM HIS SATURDAY ARTICLE:

"The NC State game, win or lose, will not effect Maryland's bowl destination."

Posted by: Barno1 | November 29, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Barno. You are right. Everyone gets it by now. What you seem to not understand is that your constant stream of scolding others and congratulating yourself makes people want to kick you. MARYLAND WON. THEY HAD A GOOD SEASON. THEY'LL PROBABLY GO TO A DECENT BOWL THAT ISN'T IN DC.

Your non-stop ranting against everyone else makes people so incredibly sick of your pro-Maryland stance that it is probably actually making fairweather fans more fairweather. Can you comprehend this? You need to stop. You have made it so abundantly clear that is it easy to get a rise out of you that these clowns sit on here all day criticizing Maryland because they know you'll waste your days and nights fighting back. Take a day off, man. You are actually hurting people's opinon of Maryland because you make all Maryland fans look like psychos.

Posted by: Gnillew9 | November 29, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Great post G9. I couldn't agree with you more. Less is more Barno. It's ok to be passionate but it feels like your the national archives of this blog and people are doing it to get a rise out of you.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | November 29, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Barno-

A lot of your posts don't even have to do with the topics that are posted and rather attack some of the people and are very controversial. I know I've called people out including you and the same has been done to me but you're about a 15 on a scale of 1-10 where I think most of the rest of us are around that 8-10 range that post pretty consistently. You've had some good points but I think the context can get lost with the over posting.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | November 29, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I think the argument that 'you should stop calling people out bc it makes fairweather fans become more fairweather' is pretty silly. Exposing idiocy makes people become bigger idiots, so you shouldn't expose them? That just doesn't make any sense bro.

Sorry but I'm not going to stop calling people out for their ridiculous "fire Friedgen" comments, deal with it.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 29, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | November 27, 2010 10:54 PM

Welcome to the Cowherd Theory of journalism. Say something that fans don't want to hear, sit back and watch your hits/comments/ratings go up.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 29, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Poor Barno, you just don't get it. Nobody is out to get the Terps. The reality is that Prisbell gets paid to cover a team and sometimes call it like he sees it. Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's wrong. If he's so terrible, why are you still reading? The facts he presented in the past in providing his bowl estimate (miami is more of a national brand, schools like nc state probably travel better, etc.) were all valid points. But, if he's wrong, what is the harm? We all hope for a better bowl than DC but maybe it's where the Terps play. If so, I'll watch, hope they win, and be somewhat left empty with the fact that beating a 6-6 CUSA team is a lousy reward for being an above average ACC team. If they play in a better bowl, I'll watch and hope they win. That's it.

As for you pointing out the "idiots", strange as it may seem, many people think maybe you're the one in the dunce cap. Nobody is an idiot for posting an opinion, they just have an opinion. A reasonable human being (if he/she disagrees with that opinion) would retort with reasoning why they disagree or they'd say nothing. A fool would keep an enemies (or "haters") list and go on a cut-and-paste warpath.

I think you should watch the movie "Big Fan" with Patton Oswalt. Maybe it will be a wake-up call.

Posted by: epdaly | November 29, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Barno, if you don't think that some people on this blog wanted Maryland to have a terrible season just to make your life miserable, you're in serious denial. Does that get through to you? People root against Maryland because it will be funny to watch you squirm on these blogs. Most people couldn't care less about you at this point because you have pretty must exhausted your points, but I assure you this is the case. You can stand firm all you want, but you absolutely are ruining this blog for all commenters, positive and negative. Do with that what you will.

Posted by: Gnillew9 | November 29, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for anyone that sat on the fence waiting to decide if the Terps were good this year before coming out to a game. You missed out. This team is very good and showed a lot of heart in racing back from a 14-0 deficit.

The NC State game was probably one of the best games I have been to in the past 10 years. There will be high expectations in CP next fall.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 29, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epdaly | November 29, 2010 4:56 PM

epdaly, it is you who just doesn't get it. I never said anyone was "out to get the terps." Nor do I think Prisbell is "so terrible." I have long been one of Prisbell's biggest supporters, I think he is normally a fine journalist, and have defended his work as much, if not more, than any other commenter on this blog. So please get a clue.

This particular season I believe his work has slipped, particularly his analysis. This is my opinion, and it also seems to be the prevailing opinion on this blog (please read the 100+ comments by others almost universally expressing frustration with Prisbell: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrapins-insider/2010/11/after_signature_victory_what_a.html#comments)

Again, epdaly, please get a clue.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 29, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

That's a fine example. It's too bad that most of those 100+ comments are probably from the same 15 people over and over. (Please go ahead and make a spreadsheet counting comments per commenter to refute this...I'll give you a minute.) The fact is that the silent majority of people who read this blog to actually learn things about the Terps thinks you're much more of an idiot than anyone you tell to "get a clue." Has it not sunk in even a little bit that all of your attacks and "corrections" haven't chased any of your enemies away? It's not working. However, I fear that telling you these things is like talking to a brick wall because you are so utterly convinced of your superior fan status and sports intellect. I guess the most any of us normal fans can hope for is that one day your parents go ahead and cancel that high speed internet connection.

However, I do wholeheartedly second epdaly's Big Fan suggestion. It will open your eyes, brother.

Posted by: Gnillew9 | November 29, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Big Fan is a great film. And it seems to have opened your eyes gnillew9 as well as epdaly. That movie does a great job chronically people who obsess about their team but don't actually attend the actual games. That's you guys, not me. Glad it opened your eyes.

"Has it not sunk in even a little bit that all of your attacks and "corrections" haven't chased any of your enemies away? It's not working."

Lol. This is so absurd I almost don't know where to start. First off, who said my goal was to "chase my enemies away"? Secondly, if that were my goal--which it isn't--I have succeeded. Where is imasofakin? Where is lilhollywood10? Where is restonhoops? Where is Carolina (he came back recently but has been gone for over a year)? Where is Poopy McPoop? Where's mabkhar? These guys finally gave up in their attacks on Gary Williams and Ralph Friedgen. I'm not saying that's my goal, but if it were, well...it seems to have worked.

Now, as for guys like Petecard, Sirpelleas, TerpfanMA, well...I can't help it if they have no self respect and continue to make *sses out of themselves on here. It's entertaining for the rest of us to read their almost-cartoonish perspective (or shall I say 'lack' of perspective) week in and week out.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 29, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Just a quick google search of gnillew's comments and found out SHE lives outside of DC. First off, it's nice that we finally have a female voice on here--even if she has no idea what she is talking about. Secondly, how unsurprising it is to see that another out of town fan has no perspective on this team. Of course you can be an out of towner and still follow and love the terps as passionately and closely as those that live here. But....those who attack the team, the players, the coaches etc are overwhelmingly disproportionately living in other areas.

Wonder why that is.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 29, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm a HUGE Danny O'Brien and think he just might be Maryland's savior. I'm also not a jersey wearing guy, but I might need to purchase a Terps #5 for next season. Anyone know if he really wants to be #5? Sometimes freshmen are forced to be a certain number because an upper classman has their favorite and switch in later years. I don't want to be the guy wearing a #5 when Danny has some new number :)

As for his career, the best thing about Danny from a Terps perspective is that he's definitely a 4-year guy. He does not have NFL size so no chance he leaves early. I hope he gets a shot at the next level, but it will be tough. I feel like he's a better version of Scott McBrien. They are also easy to confuse with their names being so similar.

Posted by: TerpFan2001 | November 29, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Can't seem to sign in under my other name. However, Barno, I am curious as to why you consider Rosslyn "outside of DC" or an "out of towner"? Do your Real Fan qualifications require that someone remain in the city limits of College Park, MD until death? I have been to hundreds of football and basketball events at Maryland during my life, including when I attended for four years (which I'm sure was a lot more recently than you). So just to keep everyone honest, I will probably copy your remarks and paste them in everytime you reference someone's fan credentials, since you have proven that you are in possession of inaccurate information. This makes sense, right?

Also, googling people to get information on them and then telling them is usually viewed as "creepy" or "desperate." We all have google. Whatever your sources are are clearly wrong. Good try.

Most importantly, you are using my (false) out of town status as a justification of my "attacking the team" and having no "perspective of the team". Please notice that I haven't said anything about the team at all in this conversation. I have criticized you and only you. I think the football team had a great year. You...not so much.

I'm done writing because obviously you have some kind of mental issues that prevent you from ever admitting fault or having a sane conversation about Maryland. To all the remaining normal people here: sorry, I had to try.

Posted by: spret07 | November 29, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

If you all don't like Barno1, stop commenting on his posts (see Skinner, B.F.).

I'd like to comment on the whole "fans don't travel" canard. The bowl games force schools to purchase large blocks of tickets (10K+), which the schools then sell through their ticket offices. MD lost thousands of dollars due to unsold tickets for the bowl in Boise a few years ago. They lost several thousands more due to the travel costs and mandatory extended stay in the host city. The bowls still get their money even if the stadium is half empty.

The only pressure bowls have is their next conference and TV contract. The ratings don't matter to the bowls because ratings don't give the bowls more revenue. That's on the television stations and networks. Ratings only impact bowls when it comes to contract time. Prisbell can correct me if I'm wrong about this. I encourage everyone to read "Death to the BCS" by three Yahoo columnists. The details will infuriate you.

The reason MD didn't sell out Byrd has nothing to do with the economy. DC has the lowest unemployment rate in the nation and is one of the wealthiest regions in the country. Byrd didn't sell out because MD didn't win last year and has a roller coaster 5 year win trend line. MD fans will travel to 1) see a good match up, 2) hopefully see a win, and 3) a nice place. Money isn't the issue; interest is. Funny how MD fans used to be considered good travelers for the Final 4 trips, the Orange Bowl trip, and even the Chick-Fil-A and Gator Bowls a few years ago. That's my only gripe with Prisbell; he doesn't give the long perspective only the short. I can't blame him, though. He's gotta sell ads.

With that in mind, the Champs Sports Bowl against Notre Dame gives MD all three of things: good match up, chance to win, warm locale. A win over Notre Dame likely gives MD a top 25 finish, a top 25 preseason ranking, and a trendy "darkhorse win the ACC" pick for next year. Recall that MD played Notre Dame at the Meadowlands a few years ago to great fanfare and ratings. Ditto if they play in Orlando.

A Military Bowl birth would probably sell fewer tickets than a game in Orlando. Just a guess. Not that it matters to the Military Bowl people: they'll still force the schools to buy tickets and get good local ratings. MD fans won't tailgate at RFK but will watch on TV.

Posted by: WheelsRI | November 29, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Wait a second. You mean to tell me gnillew9 who is now posting comments under the name spret07 is NOT a woman? Excuse me for making that assumption. Your strong interest in The Hills, Sandra bullock's breakup, the Emmy's etc made it seem unlikely you were a guy.

Sorry for concluding that you must be a woman.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 29, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Haha, where did I say I wasn't a female? I never denied that. I said you were wrong in saying that I don't live in the DC area. Jeez, for someone so focused on everyone being correct all the time, this is surprising. Was that a joke? Seriously, I am genuinely surprised that you are not even reading what I am saying. I'm done responding now because I realize that by continuing to respond, I just look like a comment section troll, too. Go Terps!

Posted by: spret07 | November 29, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Oddly, I'm a male and have interest in The Hills, Sandra bullock's breakup, the Emmy's and Jessica Simpson. I also watch Giada De Laurentiis cooking shows (she's hot), think NSYNC is one of the most underrated bands ever and know every word to most Kelly Clarkson songs.

That is all....carry on....

Posted by: fushezzi | November 29, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

spret07/gnillew9, 3 things:

1) First, you're right...I'm not really reading your comments...mostly just scanning yours. You're a woman but not an out of towner, got it.

2) Second, it's strange you question other people's intelligence when you can't even figure out how to post under one name on here, needing at least two for some reason.

3) Despite you and I not agreeing on anything really, it is still good to have a woman's perspective on here. At the very least, who else on the Terps Insider is capable of making comments like this:
------------------

Stop saying "ick nast." You are the only one that says it and it was possibly topical a year ago.

And Sandra doesn't need to come out and deny personal details that were invented by who knows who. Give me a break.

You lame-up this comment section like no other.

Posted by: Gnillew9 | April 7, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | November 29, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Haha, oh Barno, Barno, Barno. I know it must absolutely boggle your mind that people may have other things clanging around in the old skull besides Maryland athletics and the Redskins, but it's TRUE! Okay so Sandra Bullock may not be your cup of tea...but I suggest diversifying your interests. Your friend fushezzi seems to have figured this out. Ok, now done posting for real....now....ok NOW.

Posted by: spret07 | November 29, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Fushezzi does have some weird tastes...i know this becuase he lives in my basement. Routinely blasts Kelly Clarkson's 'since you been gone' on his speakers.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 29, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

"He does not have NFL size so no chance he leaves early. I hope he gets a shot at the next level, but it will be tough.
Posted by: TerpFan2001 | November 29, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse"

Huh? Granted he's not as big as a Manning or Brady but he's close enough. He also has all the head and arm skills necessary. With time and hard work he will easily play on Sundays.

Posted by: Artismo | November 30, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse