Posted at 10:01 PM ET, 11/18/2010

Pittsburgh's Dixon: Jordan Williams may be nation's 'best low-post scorer'

By Eric Prisbell

Pittsburgh Coach Jamie Dixon offered strong praise for Maryland sophomore Jordan Williams after Pittsburgh's 79-70 victory here tonight. He said Williams "may be the best low-post scorer in the country."

“We can’t take away everything from a good offensive player, and he is as good as anyone out there.

Dixon was pleased that Williams got only one offensive rebound. He finished with 14 points and 8 rebounds, making 6 of 9 shots from the floor. Cliff Tucker finished with a game-high 17 points for Maryland.

The big stat: Pittsburgh outrebounded Maryland, 49-28.

Maryland whittled the deficit to 70-66 with 1:24 remaining against Pittsburgh, but the Terrapins couldn’t get any closer in the waning moments of a competitive game here at Madison Square Garden.

Maryland Coach Gary Williams just finished up his press conference. Some highlights:

“We felt we could win the game going into it,” Williams said. “We are trying to find out how good we are as a team. This is a tough game to play this early. I thought we did a good job overall. You don’t convert when you have to convert and they make you pay.”

“I was proud of our guys, we were working hard. For some guys, this is their first big game.”

Maryland made 14 of 30 free throw attempts, a concern for Williams.

“Of course it’s a concern. If we made our free throws, we’d probably have the lead in the first half. We work hard on our free throws. We were horrible tonight.”

On the game Jordan Williams had against Pittsburgh’s imposing front court: “That’s as big as he will play against. Jordan was fine. We couldn’t get him the ball enough. Other guys have to step up and stretch the defense.”

Gary Williams also said Maryland did not press as much as it normally does because Williams didn’t want the Panthers to get their transition game going.

And here is reaction from Pittsburgh Coach Jamie Dixon:

“Two really good teams getting after it and playing hard early in November. Neither team is as good as they are going to be.”

“Our execution was not as good as I wanted it to be, but we will get there. I am proud of how hard we played. We have room to improve and we understand that.”

“We have a lot of good players. We know that. And they continue to improve. They compete and they get better in practice. We had a number of guys play well.”

“The rebounding thing was what we emphasized and we did it.”

“I think we have pretty good balance. We made some adjustments at halftime. I thought it really helped us offensively in the second half. I’d like to keep them secret and save them.”

“I think he got in foul trouble. I think that had a lot to do with it. We double-teamed him early, it may have helped a little bit.”

By Eric Prisbell  | November 18, 2010; 10:01 PM ET
Categories:  Gary Williams, Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ralph Friedgen to return as Maryland football coach in 2011
Next: Predictions for Maryland-Florida State

Comments

I ahve to be encouraged that we stayed toe-to-toe with a possible Final Four team. If we made those foul shots, we could have won the game. As it is, it seemed unusual for a Gary Williams team that struggled so much at the charity stripe. This will be a must as the season progresses. Not to mention the rebounds.

Bobby Knight gave a lot of praise for Cliff Tucker, mostly for the moves and shots he was making. That's a big deal coming from the General. Still a ways to go but I'm excited that the Terps can play with the best and aren't intimidated.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | November 18, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

This is a Maryland team that has a lot of work to do to be a Sweet 16 (or better) Contender. They really have to figure out a way to rebound against bigger teams, to work on shot selection, and take pressure off of Jordan Williams. (and obviously the free throws)

But I also think the game showed that they have a lot to work with. Plenty of athletecism on the perimeter, guts and heart too. Gotta work on those free throws...

Posted by: dlgood | November 18, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

If you're a brother on the playground, you can't shoot the jumper without bending your knees.. Same goes with foul shooting.. BEND THOSE KNEES!!!! Gary needs to work on this ASAP !!!

Posted by: frostanna | November 18, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Listened on the radio (I missed huge chunks of the game) and watched the last five minutes. I walk away with one major question - how bad did JP really look? His stat line was abysmal. I realized he was 0-5 on FTs. Did he look lost?

regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 19, 2010 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Gutsy performance by the Terps...they played tough and looked very athletic. For a young team, they hung with one of the best in the country.

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 19, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I think one has to be encouraged by the overall performance. At the top of my list was the defense and energy on display from the start. A close second was the poise they showed in coming back at the start of the second half when the game could easily have gotten away. Williams, Tucker and Mosley had good games and Williams seemed all by himself under the boards. We did a good job taking care of the ball with only 9 TO's to their 16. I found myself screaming at the missed FT's and was glad I was at home and not in the arena. It was simply disgusting and I don't understand why Gary was so low key about it after the game. I thought Bobby Knight had some great comments about it. JW owes it to himself and the team to make his FT shooting a MAJOR priority. It was interesting to see the rotation shorten quite a bit and all-in-all I was pretty comfortable with the choices. Can't resist being disappointed with the performances of Gregory and Bowie. We may not have many options with Gregory, but Bowie needs to really pick it up. With a little more time he may well be replaced by Stoglin, who really has a lot of upside. Disappointing performance by Pe'Shon.

Posted by: petecard | November 19, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

hgr,
JP did fine, the FT's is not just his problem, it's a team problem....JP I thought would do better being he played at MSG in High School, BUT, he did fine, he is still young, learning, but he was NOT off by much. The younger kids did OK, too erratic at times, TSgins, he has a little GVas game, so mistakes will happen, BUT most of the team have a very short memory, which is a good thing.....Adr. Bowie's T/O's need to come down....he shots well, gets to the rim, but gets lost at times, like Mosley....all 3, Mos, AD and Cliff T need to coordinate more on the Off. end, they do that the middle will open up....and JW wil ldominate - that is for sure - way ahead of any Big in his 2nd yr at MD than previous, LB, etc.
MD was in this game, even down late, you never felt Pitt had it in the bag (down 9, tie the game). To Dixon's point, neither team are as good NOW as they are going to be later in the season (could be a preview of seedings in the NCAA - these teams meeting again - they do that sometimes)....MD is NOT the 6th or 7th best team in the ACC (anyone watching last night can see that), I say the season will play that out....bring on Dukkie and UNC bluebirds....I am more encouraged today about the season than I was last year adn we had GV, so if we do waht we can do, and keep working on the other stuff, hopefully the Reb adn FT's wil limprove, work better as a team overall and it will be a fun ride. LOVED watching Gibbs, I thought it could show what MD got in signing his younger bro earlier in the week, so a very bright future.....TRUST in Gary!!!
GREAT JOB GW and the entire coaching staff, keep it up, all around!

Posted by: talbottj | November 19, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Aside from free-throw shooting, I was impressed with their performance. There were some typical freshmen mistakes, but they will get better, especially under GW. The can beat Illinois tonight. Go Terps.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 19, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Hit all the free throws, they win. Despite not banging it inside enough and getting outboarded and shooting 2-14 from 3 w/ some one pass half court plays. Padgett looked like a deer in the headlights.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 19, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Will be at the Garden this afternoon for the early game against the Illini. Only good thing about playing at 5:00 is the nice dinner in the City afterward. Hopefully it will be celebratory. I do hope this team understands how important tonight's game is. It is a chance to have a real quality win early, something that has been lacking in recent years. We always seem to go into the ACC season having devalued our prospects. This creates a steep hill to climb in the rankings and it always has year-end implications on our seeding. Sorry, but this stuff matters and I hope that GW has the team in the right mental frame for dealing with this.

Posted by: petecard | November 19, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

By the way... when did Poopy become the coach at Pitt? ... I'm just asking... :)

Posted by: petecard | November 19, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Pitt will be a final four team if they don't suffer any injuries,so as a MD.fan you have to be encouraged but those free throws, UGGHH!!!!! shooting free throws is mechanics, proper mindset, and repetition i'm sure Coach Williams will get that handled, other than that the rest of the Acc is in for a surprise yeah that means you Coach K.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 19, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Pete,

I will be in town for the game. Where's good to drink/eat around MSG after the game?

Posted by: fushezzi | November 19, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Padgett was awful last night talbottj. I'm not sure what you were watching. Aside from the ofer at the line, he was pathetic on the defensive end. He was completely lost on what the Terps were doing against the pinwheel set that Pitt kept running in the second half. Jordon clearly knew what to do be hedging and staying with the ball relying on the help to cover the guy dipping to the post. However, when Padgett was in defending from the same position, he just stood halfway between the ball and the cutter, which opened the floor for Pitt and induced fouls from the helpside defender. On the offensive end, he was equally lost, and just seemed to be out of position on every set. At least Weijs knew how to run a screen and roll. JP got set up for two different S&Rs, but just stood there as the guys he was screening walked around him to pressure the ball.

For all of the minutes the bench logged last night, they didn't contribute as much as they have so far this season.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 19, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Fushezzi -

take 7th ave downtown to the Caliente Cab Company for some of the best Tex-Mex. Of course you could go cross towm to 1st and 1st to charlie chiang's if you really miss DC and want to see TV's as your servers and singing horribly...then walk the f out and go across the street to the great Brazillian place whose name escapes me.

Near MSG, I believe on 8th Ave is Mangia and Bevi - an Italian place that the folks come in from the boroughs for. Or for some of my favorites - BOOMER's is on the Upper West Side and is the unofficial Terps sports bar for NYC. Carmine's is on Broadway in the 80s and is family style Italian to kill for.

Of course, I've not lived in NYC since the late 90s, so some of these places may have disappeared...and ask around for the Soup Nazi, I read that he had returned. The Soup is worth the hype. Having lived in Philly as well, the abuse is over-rated when compared to Pat's or Gino's in South Philly (when intoxicated at 3am).

I miss NYC.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 19, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

fushezzi- Try Carmine's. They just opened one up in D.C., but oriniated in NYC...not too far from MSG if I remember correctly.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | November 19, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

that's...originated in NYC

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | November 19, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Fushezzi -

take 7th ave downtown to the Caliente Cab Company for some of the best Tex-Mex. Of course you could go cross towm to 1st and 1st to Charlie Chang's if you really miss DC and want to see TV's as your servers and singing horribly...then walk the f out and go across the street to the great Brazilian place whose name escapes me.

H&H Bagels on the West Side (Boradway on 80th) does actually make the best bagels on the planet so bring back five dozen. The east side H&H actually makes bagel sandwiches and such but is a hike.

I miss NYC.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 19, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Losing by 9 to a top 5 team, in November, is certainly something that can be taken in stride.

In a game where the free throw shooting was poor, we were almost lapped in the rebound column, couldn't stretch the defense and it's only a two possession game with 1:24 to go? That says to me that a lot of other things were going right. (If you had to ask me, I'd say, ball movement on offense, slowing down Pitt's transition, pushing the ball on our transition, keeping the foul situation from getting out of hand, forcing turnovers...)

Other than a couple of forced shots and passes, my only concern was in a lot of situations, it was JW against 3 blue jerseys on the boards. I hope Padgett and Gregory do a better job of crashing the boards.

Posted by: mabkhar | November 19, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

When my Grandma was alive, she would call me after Terps games and say "you gotta hit those free throws!"

Since a lot of those misses were front end of 1 and 1, I don't even want to think about how many points were left out there.

Should we be concerned about lack of 3 point shooting too?

Posted by: garrett4 | November 19, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Rather than worrying about taking the pressure off of JWilliams I actually wish they would run more of their offense through him. Get him the ball on the blocks and let someone try to stop him. I still think the PG position is crucial to the offense and I just don't think it's Bowie's thing.

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | November 19, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Talib Zanna from McNamara had a good game - 14 and 12.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 19, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Losing to a Top 10 team like Pitt isn't bad, a little better effort would have won the game. We shot poor from the FTs against the C of C. So this isn't some abberation, last years team except for GV and Hayes wasn't a great FT shooting team either.

We have some much talent on the perimeter, a real plus. But our achilles heel continues to be offensive and defense rebounding, inside we just are too small and have little depth. That really isn't coachable at this level, need to recruit some bigger bodies. Lost to MichState in NCAA because of poor defensive rebounding, lost last night due to FT and rebounding. And if we lose on Friday night it will because of poor defensive rebounding. Doesn't appear that the Illini have the inside depth that Pit has so maybe we can win, lets hope for a big win.

Posted by: Redtopper2 | November 19, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Really excited about this team, we are going to make mistakes since almost everyone is getting their first chances to start on this team, except for J.Will.

Only Neg..Padg is painful to watch, just hasnt grown at all from last year. Not sure what is wrong with Mosley, but his game seems to be disappearing in front of us, we need him to get out of his funk.

Tucker is stepping up, too bad he didnt get this chance last year, but he is making the most of not having the GW short leash. Frosh and JWill look like a great future for us :) I love how athletic this team is on D.

Posted by: cm88 | November 19, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

With all of the praise that's being heaped on JWill, at what point do I start worrying about how long he'll stay at MD?

Posted by: acebojangles | November 19, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

You have to be encouraged. Our bench play wasn't bad for a game of this caliber this early in the season. Got to work on the free throws.

Posted by: jbeard32 | November 19, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

This is going to be a very good Maryland team come the spring. A lot of raw athleticism coupled with good attitudes and defensive "want to." I can tell Gary really likes this group. I'm excited.

Posted by: feeney | November 19, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse