Poll: Is Maryland football on the right track?

Thank you very much for all of the comments yesterday about the attendance issues.

In the spirit of the election, I want to pose a right track/wrong track question about Maryland football. I’ll simply pose the question without any editorial comment so I don’t sway anyone one way or another. I have a feeling about the results of this poll, but I’ll keep that quiet for now.

Is the Maryland football program on the right track?

By Eric Prisbell  | November 3, 2010; 8:16 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Miami quarterback Jacory Harris not expected to play against Maryland
Next: Miami RB Damien Berry to miss game vs. Terrapins

Comments

After last year's 2-10 record, the quick response would be, YES.. I think you have to wait until the end of the season to fully answer..If we lose 3 of the next 4, games vs. tougher competition than we have played, THEN????? I will say, that one can't help but be excited that we finally have a QB since Mc'Brien in O'Brien..Go out and find some more kids with the name of 'Brien, and we'll be in good shape..The number of wins don't always tell the tale, be excited, but cautious... Go Terps, see ya in FLA !!!!

Posted by: frostanna | November 3, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Right track--DOB could conceivably start the next 40-45 games for this team.

Posted by: PeteinAZ | November 3, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

On track to what? What exactly does this university community want the Maryland Football Program to be? Some simply want us to contend in the ACC occasionally and be bowl eligible. Others, like me, want us to compete at the national level, not be thrilled to just be ranked occasionally in or near the Top 25. At this stage of this season after our struggles in the last few years, how can we know what track we are on? The toughest part of our schedule is coming. Let's evaluate after the next 4 games.

Posted by: petecard | November 3, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: petecard | November 3, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: petecard | November 3, 2010 9:26 AM |

Agreed. But apparently we know nothing about and we're not real fans.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 3, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Pete, Pelleas,

I think the correct question (forget about NC contention for a moment) is as follows:

"Is MD on the right track to be a consistently ranked top 25 team for the next few years?"

for that question, the answer in my mind is yes. The key to many college programs is the QB play and DOB is the best we have had since McBrien. With an improved o-line, he will continue to excel. This season, we have an able #2 in J-Rob but over the next few seasons we'll need to make sure that there is depth at QB.

The memory of the disappointments of the last few years does diminish some of the lustre that this season should have - beating Miami, regardless of who their QB is, will alleviate that.

We have to win consistently at the ACC level to make the jump to the national level. I've seen a ton of arguments about MD's attendance and fan apathy - none of which are relevant. Winning hides a lot of sins. If they continue to do so, the Byrd expansion will be seen as genius rather than a folly.

If they win the next two - get to 8-2 with home games against Fl St. and NCST coming, I think the bandwagon will be overflowing. But yes, it seems our fan base still sits at "wait-and-see" the results.

It is hard for any program to recover from a 2-10 season. They win the next two, and yeah, they're ranked and a national story.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 3, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Hugh, I think that's a fair assessment.

Maryland is receiving some votes to crack the top 25. If they win this weekend, it could happen. Quite a turnaround from last season. But, as Petecard said, where does the right track lead or where should it lead?

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 3, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

We all want the program to lead to years like 2001-2003, the most successful 3 year span for the program in 50 years. No one enjoyed 2004, 2005, 2007, and 2009 (our losing seasons) but most of us are realistic and are happy when we compete for ACC championships like we have every other year (2006, 2008, 2010).

For me, the program is now at a place where they can compete for ACC championships every year for the next several years and I would be shocked if we weren't in the ACC title game by 2012. We have a young and talented offensive and defensive line, a freshman qb who plays like a senior, dynamic returning offensive weapons in (hopefully) Torrey Smith, Davin Meggett, DJ Adams, Tony Logan, Ronnie Tyler and a plethora of young defensive talent in Desmond Kearse, Kenny Tate, Cameron Chism, Demetrius Hartsfield, and a pair of NFL caliber tackles in sophomores Joe Vellano and AJ Francis.

This team is set for the next few years and if you can't appreciate the job Ralph Friedgen is doing with these kids and be thrilled by a 6-2 start to a season, what is the point of even being a fan?

Posted by: Barno1 | November 3, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------

Petecard, how much do you donate to the school to help UMD "compete at the national level?" Not insinuating you do or don't -- I'm just curious if you do....or don't.

Posted by: fushezzi | November 3, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I think that 6-2 has re-stabilized Freidgen (as has Yow's departure), so I say they're going in the right direction. Winning + stability should help with recruiting, which took a hit in the last 11 months.

Hoping for a few more wins, a nice bowl appearance and the new AD making progress on the futures of Fridge/Franklin.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 3, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Right track. As much as Pete/SirPellas like to hate, we have a freshman QB that will be a star and a young team that will be even stronger next year.

Posted by: aviscardo | November 3, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Aviscardo - since when did I criticize or express resentment towards DOB or the fact that we have found our future QB?

It's perfectly reasonable to ask questions about the program's future after inconsistent seasons and the decline in recruiting. Where is hate expressed here, good sir?

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 3, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

SirPelleas, you have repeatedly questioned whether Friedgen should be here after this season. You have repeatedly mocked the bowl games we have gone to in the past. You have mocked every achievement this season and seem to take no pleasure in 6-2. You have knocked attendance while you don't even go to the games! With fans like you, who needs enemies?

Posted by: Barno1 | November 3, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I do think the program is on the right track. Even though we won't see the impact of the 2-10 season until we see the recruting committements this year.

But my question is... Do the Terps have the wrong coordinator as the "coach in wating?"

Don Brown has created a national ranked defense in just two years. Not to mention he has head coaching experience.

If nothing else, Franklin severly lacks experience.

If Fridge retired this year and Maryland stayed in house (all be it doubtful) who would you pick? Brown or Franklin?

Posted by: AdoptedTerp | November 3, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

To avoid skewing my opinion, I have not yet read others' opinions before writing this.

I do feel like the Terps have made a step in the right direction. The most important step this team has made is in ball security. At first, I thought it was just a matter of luck, but it does seem that this team is doing a significatly better job at holding onto the ball than teams past. Not only that, but the emergence of O'Brien as a legitimate starting QB that is aggressive yet does not try overstep his abilities (something Chris Turner did far too often), has given the Terps an offense that can actually put up points and allow the defense to be a little more aggressive in the way they approach the opponent.

The other big step, and I didn't think I would ever say this, is the progression of the defense. I never thought this unit would be as good as it is, and the scheme of constantlty shifting personnel and make substitutions would ultimate be this team's downfall. Well, it took a year and a half, but Don Brown looks like he has the defense playing the way he promised, and the guys are playing very well together as a unit. They still give up huge chunks of yardage between the 20's, but the improvement in the secondary over the past few weeks means that the defense has turned into a turnover machine.

The real question is are these improvements because of the coaching staff implementing solid gameplans and preparing the players well, or just a natural progression of what was an extremely young team. I'd like to think it's a combination of both, and the black hole that was last season was just an abberation. Fridge continues to recruit good talent (maybe not blue chip SEC talent), and the future looks bright with even more young players that are sitting through their redshirt years.

However, is Fridge the answer to making the Terps a perennial contender on the national scene, or is that even a realistic goal for a program that has never drawn more than 60,000 fans for a home game? I know that I would be pleased with consistant performance and invitations to top-tier bowl games every year with an ACC Title game appearance every 3-5 years. The college football landscape is massive, but if Fridge can keep the program on its current track, it should be in good shape for his eventual successor (not James Franklin).

Posted by: Russtinator | November 3, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I think all of us would take pleasure in being 7-2 with the remaining schedule at hand. I still have to question the offensive play-calling that we saw earlier in the year and would like to see more of a commitment to the running game early. Given our thin O-line, would rather see them deliver a beating (by running) rather than fending one off. We do seem to be over-reliant on DOB and underutilizing Scott & Meggett (until the 2nd half of the Wake game). Then again, we get out of Miami with a win and it won't matter to me how they did it.

7-2 and I think that the "Ralph can't recruit arguments go more towards the back-burner" as we've seen major talent emerge on this year's team (barno already named a few of them) and next year's team undeniably stacked for the 2011 season.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 3, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Yep, I have questioned whether or not the Fridge should be here, and I was perfectly justified in doing so. I maintain that if a coach isn't winning and recruiting well, then perhaps it's time to consider a change.

I have expressed no displeasure in being 6-2. And when did I knock attendance? If you recall, I backed you up on your argument that the Fridge has attracted most of the largest crowds in Maryland's history.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 3, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I have a question for the board - What is worth more to you - a FB NC or a BB NC?

For me a BB NC > a Redskins SB win.
A Redskins SB > a MD FB NC.
A MD FB NC > an O's WS win.
An O's WS win > than a Wizards NBA championship

But a redskins SB win >>> a mere FF appearance.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 3, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm probably kind of a weirdo in this regard but,

Nats WS > Redskins Super Bowl > Wizards title > MD Football NC > MD Basketball NC > Caps Stanley Cup.

That's pretty much the order of my attention to local teams. Oh and I'd like for United to at least stay in DC.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 3, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Redskins will always be my number 1. That said, I've seen a Redskins super bowl win in my lifetime (3 of them), I've seen a Terps bball national championship, but I have never seen a Terps football national title nor a Wizards championship. I can only imagine how insane this area would be if the Terps qualified for the BCS title game. You're talking over a month of hype and anticipation. Once you've advanced to the college bball national title game, there is only 48 hours in between to really soak it up. In the NFL, you get 2 weeks. If I ever live to see the day we qualify for the BCS title game, those 5 weeks in between would be pretty damn amazing.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 3, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I think the question is tough to answer. Obviously, 6-2 is definitely in the right direction from 2-10 but does anyone really feel like they know anything about this team (except they're not awful)? Navy is the big feather in Maryland's cap right now. Navy isn't very good, just very disciplined. There's not one player on that roster that the Terps tried to get and didn't. The fact is that the ACC has been terrible for years and Maryland hasn't taken advantage of that. Terps need to be making the title game at least once every 2 years or so during down years to consider the season a success. Going 7-5 or 8-4 with losses against all of the quality teams they play is still a little disappointing. Get to the title game and the season is a success.

Posted by: epdaly | November 3, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epdaly | November 3, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

The ACC just broke the record for most teams ever to make a bowl from one conference. From top to bottom, the ACC has been a top 5 football conference for as long as I can remember. Just because we don't have a national title contender doesn't make us "terrible." When you send 10 teams to bowl games in one year, you can't possibly be a "terrible" conference. I know some people can't get past the fact that we don't have a national title contender, but the reality is that is not the only way to judge the strength of a conference.

"Going 7-5 or 8-4 with losses against all of the quality teams they play is still a little disappointing."

The last 8 win Terps team, 2008, beat 4 nationally ranked opponents. Your comments simply demonstrate a lack of knowledge of the Terps football.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 3, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

fushezzi: After I tell you that I am generous to the university will you want to get into a discussion about the size of body parts? It's amazing in reading the comments on this post how many of you are looking right past the challenges we face given that we have beaten only one good team that just lost to Duke. Okay, we have some nice pieces and we are all hopeful, but c'mon folks give it some time. Let's see if we can win even 2 of our last 4. Let's hope that it is all 4.

Posted by: petecard | November 3, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Wins in 0 of next 4 = unsuccesful season
Wins in 1 of next 4 = as expected
Wins in 2 of next 4 = succesful season
Wins in 3 of next 4 = very succesful season
Wins in 4 of next 4 = best case scenario (no matter what the result in the ACCCG)

Posted by: AdoptedTerp | November 3, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Teams that can go to bowls with 6-6 records, let's you know 2 things.. They're are way too many bowls, and you can't judge a leagues overall success by the number of teams that go.. If that's the case, let's add 10 more bowls to the line-up, then teams with losing records would go.. Go Terps !!! FLA bound !!!

Posted by: frostanna | November 3, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Petecard

I'm not even talking about money. Have you ever volunteered to do a telephone drive for the Terp Club? Have you cleaned Byrd Stadium or Cole/Comcast after a game?

What have you contributed to the Program that makes you think it owes you something? That makes you think your idea to fire head coaches and demand yearly national championship contention is warranted or even educated?

Have you worked with the athletic department and know it runs? How the money is raised and dispersed? How hard the coaches (including the head coaches) work? Running camps, recruiting, game planning?

Or is this all just off the cuff for you?

(And if you want to get into a p*ssing contest -- my answer to most of the above questions is YES)

Posted by: fushezzi | November 3, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

For the other question

1. Redskins
1A. Terps BB

After that all others (O's, Terps FB, Wiz, Caps, Nats) are about equal.

Posted by: fushezzi | November 3, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

It is pretty interesting how many people on here list the Redskins as their priority in terms of supporting local teams.

I personally pick Terps football above all else. I would probably be miserable all week if I was diehard CFB and NFL.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 3, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Barno, sometimes I can't tell if you're serious or just f'ing with everyone. Who cares about number of bowl games? That just means teams that went .500 or better. It's not too hard to have that kind of record when you play in a weak conference and play a few bottom-feeders for a rent-a-win games like Delaware, Morgan State, FAMU, FIU, etc. If teams beat each other up in-conference and win the gimmes and you're at .500. As I mentioned, the Terps this year are 6-2 yet we don't know much about them except they're not terrible. The next 4 weeks will determine if it's a good year.

As for 2008, they won a few games against ranked teams but finished the regular season at 7-5. 4-4 in conference (a weak conference that rarely has good records against other bcs conferences that aren't called the big east), beat cal (quality win), but had a squeaker against delaware and lost to mtsu. It was not a great year.

Let's hope the Terps finish strong, beat some good teams, and prove it's a good year. My only point is we don't know much yet.

Posted by: epdaly | November 3, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

For me it's Steelers, Nats, Terps FB, Terps BB, Wiz, Caps.

I'm a huge football fan (I've coached the sport for 15 years) and my second love is baseball. I love the Terps but, they are 3rd on the list.

Fushezzi,

Excellent post. I would have to say you don't just talk the talk, you also walk the walk. Very impressive.

Posted by: Section505203 | November 3, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

To answer Hugh's question:

Capitals Stanely Cup Uber Alles

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 3, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

My order would be pretty much the same as Hugh's except for the O's. Never could get into watching baseball, though I played a lot growing up.

I remember when HD TVs first started somebody posted a picture of a baseball game to show how clearly you could see the fans in HD broadcasts. I looked closely and the one thing that was clear in the picture was that absolutely none of the hundred plus fans in the frame were watching the guy swinging at the ball. They were all eating, chatting, etc. Granted it wasn't the World Series.

Posted by: MrScrotums | November 3, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 3, 2010 4:48 PM

Who? I'm not certain who you are talking about. oooh, the hockey team. For me they rank below the Baltimore Charm winning the LFL championship. Certainly after every single sport MD competes in including and especially - Competitive Cheerleading. Way below the Marching Band winning the Hawaii 5-0 competition. About even with the Nats winning the WS.

I stand proud as a Caps Hater....too many Dallas Cowboys fans (from this area) I knew growing up became Caps fans (right about when the Skins won SB XVII) and I have found that rooting against the Caps is a passive-agressive way to set them off. Rooting for Jeff Gordon used to work even better.

co-sign on AncientTerps wins layout.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 3, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Stanley Cup.... bad spelling

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 3, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Hugh - This is just terrible. I generally dislike baseball and NASCAR. But how can you cheer against the Caps? If you were from Pittsburgh, I'd understand, but Hugh.... breaking my heart man. To hell with Dallas fans.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 3, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I think the answer depends on your perspective..if you look at this year and compare it to last year, then I can see how someone would say we are on the right track....if you look at the last 8 years, then the picture becomes one of UMD slipping into mediocrity with occasional blips on the upside (9 wins) and the downside (2 wins)...the rest of the time we settle for somewhere in the 4-6 win range with the obligatory bowl game thrown in.....I honestly dont feel that this coaching staff has demonstrated they can consistantly do better than that (and this is a pretty easy league to achieve better)....and I hate to keep bringing up personnel decisions, but we fell into luck with Danny Obrien this year...as good as he is, and after being evaluated for almost 18 months by this coaching staff, he was scheduled to be a backup to Robinson until the injury...and even then, Fridge was reluctant to name him the starter (Turner went through the same stuff with Steffy) for the next few games...so my perspective is that UMD loads up with an easy Non Con schedule which should generate at least 3 wins (2 in an off year) and then we battle it out with Duke, UVa, Wake, BC and if we win 3 of those games we are Bowl Eligible and everyone goes away happy...the downside is that UMD can be a pretty mediocre team and get to 6 wins and that is why attendance has been sliding for 7 years....we have 1 ACC title this decade and quite frankly, when we have "challenged" for the title, it has been through other teams losing rather than us winning (this year is another example)

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 3, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

y'know - I used to get free tix to the cap center. So I used to go to the caps all the time and do the general admission move-down. But you know, I caught more racism at those games then anywhere else I have been in my life. Every single time I went, sometimes when i was with my parents. And we would be sitting there and it was constant. It happened in the mens room, waiting in line for food, always. I've been to a few games at the soul-less phonebooth and its never happened there but times have changed. So when a couple of morons I never could stand adopted the Caps (because they finally started to win) I decided I never want to see any sort of celebrating for the Caps. AND I APPRECIATE THE WAY THEY CHOKE ON CUE AFTER GIVING THEIR FANS SO MUCH HOPE. Its as satisfying as reading NY POst headlines when the Yankees get bounced. Nahh. Moreso.

For the record, I guess politically correctly I am SE Asian but Indian works more or less for me.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 3, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

And by morons, I don't identify people who root for the Caps as morons. I mean the specific morons I knew growing up in this town who were Cowboy fans / Redskins haters. And I don't actively hate on the Caps. But it does seem that Caps fans seek me out all the time for someone to one-up during the course of a hockey season which is cool enough. I guess I could send them pix of Sidney Crosby holding the Stanley Cup now and again if I really got irritated.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 3, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes when reading this blog I often find myself wondering: did some of you start following college athletics yesterday? It really seems that way.

Florida State played Samford and BYU this year.
Virginia Tech played JMU this year (and lost), East Carolina, and Central Michigan
Miami plays FLA&M and USF
Clemson played Presbyterian and North Texas
Georgia Tech played Kansas (and somehow lost) and South Carolina State and Middle Tennessee St
North Carolina played William and Mary and East Carolina
NC State--the team whose coach many of you voted for ACC Coach of the year--scheduled West Carolina, East Carolina, and Central Florida on their schedule this year.
MD had FIU, Morgan State, Navy, and West Virginia as our out of conference games

It's as if Epdaly, Sirpelleas, TerpfanMA, Petecard and the rest of the geniuses who keep bringing up our weak schedule actually believe that the real football programs out there don't schedule a couple of games a year vs easier competition. How they've come to this conclusion is beyond me. The only possible explanation is that they simply don't follow college football. They keep bringing up FIU or Morgan St as if that is somehow a relevant point. It's not. Every school does it. Every single one. But when you are 6-2 and have nothing else to criticize, well you start grasping.

I do know this: this blog would be a lot more interesting if those that don't know anything about college football would simply stop commenting. There are some people on here a vast knowledge of the subject matter, many of whom I disagree with from time to time but who still make valid points and clearly know what they're talking about. But guys like TerpfanMA, Petecard, EPdaly etc don't fall into this category. No, to me it's clear they don't even follow college football or the Terps very closely at all, so why are they even here?

Posted by: Barno1 | November 3, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

For the Debbie Yow haters, this will make you hate her even more:

Posted by: Barno1 | November 3, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

*should have read: There are some people on here WITH a vast knowledge of the subject matter...

Posted by: Barno1 | November 3, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Barny...Not once did I or anyone else say or imply that UMD is the only team that schedules weak opponents..what I said, is that when you have 3 weak non con opps and then follow it up with a weak conference schedule, it is relatively easy to get to 6 wins and capture that bowl bid that you and all the other fridge lovers out there throw in everyones face as if it were some sort of proof that he is a genius coach...he aint....and as for knowing something about college football, I havent seen you demonstrate anything related to knowledge except the ability to criticize others and look up historical data in a press guide

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 3, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

TerpfanMA, lay off the crack. You have been saying AND implying that MD schedules cupcakes on their schedule so Fridge can get 6 wins and make a bowl. You've been saying this for months now. Seriously, lay off the crack.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 3, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Fully agree with terpfanma. Every school in the country schedules cupcakes. But to thump your chest about getting to 6 wins in a weak conference, it seems a little absurd. It's just not that hard. The ACC isn't that strong. To claim it's in a top-5 conference is laughable. They're in the 5th out of 6 conferences. I guess the big east can claim they cracked the top 6. Yahoo! I would love to be proven wrong but I can't think of more than 2 or 3 impressive non-conference wins by the ACC in the past 5 years. Miami-Oklahoma last year without Bradford I guess qualifies as one? MD-Cal jet lag game is another?

Because of that, I think 6 wins for MD should not be the magic success number. I don't see how that doesn't make me a fan. I watch the terps every week from northern nj (Internet, ppv). I make it down to games at least once a year (went last week). And I also cheer for them to be good. Ever since the gator bowl, I've been largely disappointed. To me, they've been decent to poor - never very good. Hopefully this is the year they get back. I just don't know yet. I don't see an impressive win. They have opportunities in the next 4 weeks.

As for my football knowledge, you tried to submit a 7-5 (4-4) Smurf Turf bowl win over Nevada season as a hugely successful season. Maybe you should stop talking for awhile, Champ.

Posted by: epdaly | November 3, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

epdaly, I never said 7-5 Smurf Bowl win (which gave us 8 wins) was a "hugely successful season." I thought 2008 was a successful season, but not hugely. If we had beaten Florida State, it would have been.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 3, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't see an impressive win.
Posted by: epdaly

The Wake Forest win wasn't impressive? Wake may not be a good team, but the Terps 62-14 trouncing was the largest point differential amassed against Wake this season, surpassing the Stanford 68-24 win.

Posted by: MrScrotums | November 3, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

This season's schedule thus far is weak. Lucky though when you are grooming a young QB who looks everything like our future star. However that being said, look at the recruits coming next year and tell me that it's a sign of a program on the right track. When top 150's are coming regularly then.....

Posted by: only1victor | November 4, 2010 2:25 AM | Report abuse

The previous 8 games really don't matter now..The last 4 do.. Let's see what type of team we really have.. Some of us have a good idea, some are in LA LA Land..
Barno, I think you need to organize a 'group hug', or a 'YO BUNDY'!!! Go Terps !!!

Posted by: frostanna | November 4, 2010 5:43 AM | Report abuse

Barny...again you are ranting without reading....yes, I said UMD scheduled cupcakes to get 6 wins...do you deny it?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 4, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Barno, perhaps you should leave the board since it obviously gives you so much grief.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 4, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Barno said, "I thought 2008 was a successful season, but not hugely. If we had beaten Florida State, it would have been."

When you look at the experience and talent level of that team and how well they played in certain games (Cal and Wake Forest) it was a very disappointing year. They were the ultimate Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde team and in my opinion underachieved more than any other Maryland team under the Fridge.

Posted by: Chief2 | November 4, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Barno says "This constant criticism of MD's "weak" opponents baffles me. It's as if you never followed college football until now."

According the the Sagarin football rating, Maryland's schedule is ranked 102nd which is worse than every BCS school except Indiana and Northwestern. This is not a criticism, Maryland cannot not control that 3 of their 4 conference games that have been played are against very poor teams or that WVU is having a bad year. However, it is a fact that thru 8 games, Maryland has had a weak schedule.

Posted by: Chief2 | November 4, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Only1victor says "look at the recruits coming next year and tell me that it's a sign of a program on the right track. When top 150's are coming regularly then....."

Football recruiting rating is way overrated. There are plenty of players that are not highly rated that are decent athletes with good work ethics that eventually become good college players. This was the backbone of the 2001 -2003 Terps and they were far better that the higher rated recruiting classes that followed.

Posted by: Chief2 | November 4, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Is Maryland football on the right track?

Kind of difficult to answer in the middle of the season. I am a lot more optimistic after the Wake Forest game that I was before it. They seem to be improving and sometimes a football season is about momentum. We will see in the next few weeks whether Maryland take advantage of the good position they have put themselves in.

Posted by: Chief2 | November 4, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Hugh -

Sorry to hear about your experiences at the Cap Center. It doesn't take a lot of people to ruin someone's experience at large public events. It's ironic that fans would be racist towards other fans cheering for the same team. It's also ironic that fans would be racist, but show up to a sport heavily populated by athletes from foreign countries.

But with that said, I don't see this as a reason to cheer against the Caps. It's not as if the Caps invented and endorse racism or that racism is exclusively a problem in hockey. There are plenty of morons in sports, politics, and most aspects of life. Whatever makes you happy I guess...

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 4, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chief2 | November 4, 2010 9:24 AM |

Agreed.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 4, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

This board and Barno just get better and better. The thought police (Barno) and the "I'm a better fan than you because I clean the stadium" dofus, fushezzi (flush easy?) are at the head of the list. Barno, for all your "facts" and stats, your interpretation of them is infantile. Now the jingoistic qualities are fine because that is what a fan is, but it places you in the category of unthinking, blind, koolaid drinker. Fortunately, quite a few people who post here, from TerpfanMA to HughGRe, are NOT in that category and add to the discourse in a very productive manner. I can't help but feel when AD people read these posts they pay more attention to us than you. And for sure the coaches get a much better feeling about the pulse of the fan base from us than from those of you in the Hall of Mediocrity Bliss. So keep on p**sing in the wind about how evil we are and we will all have a good old time!

Posted by: petecard | November 4, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Flush Easy? I like it. I was a fan of PMcP and this makes me think of him.

And no, I'm not better fan than you b/c I clean the stadium. But I imagine I support the program quite a bit more (monetarily on non-monetarily) than you. Your lack of support also seems to extend (to an extreme) toward coaches.

Posted by: fushezzi | November 4, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

It is just the ever growing entitlement culture. People want to get more for less and they want it now.

Most people on this board admit Terp FB is not even their favorite team, so why waste so much time and energy on hating them?

I understand boosters and ticket holders voicing frustration, but not people that have little or no investment of time and/or money.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 4, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Petecard, I am sure the "AD people" at Maryland are more concerned with fans like you who never go to games in the first place, never donate to the university in the first place, and bash the football and bball program every single day on an internet board.

I'm sure fans that repeatedly call for Gary Williams to be fired during bball season and Friedgen to be fired during football season are just the kind of fans they pay most attention to. I'm sure the AD department pays so much attention to the fan who wanted Greivis Vasquez to go pro before his senior year. I'm sure they are interested in the opinion of the fan who mocked the signing of Jordan Williams as a bust before he ever stepped foot on the comcast floor. Yep, if I'm the new AD at Maryland, I'm listening to the genius Petecard's opinion on where our programs are headed and what to do about it.

Baaaahahahahahahahaha