Poll: Will Maryland beat Miami in ACC showdown?

By Eric Prisbell

Thanks a lot for all the insightful comments the past few days. I usually am surprised by the results of the polls. I figured a little over half the voters would feel the program is headed in the right direction considering the complexities involved with the coach in waiting situation. The poll question about the salary went about the way I thought it would. I figured more people would favor a Ralph Friedgen extension with only one or two more wins.

Each week, each game incrementally advances and alters the conversation. Come Monday, we’ll either be breaking down how Maryland can win the Atlantic Division, or we’ll be sensing some nervous energy heading into a must-win at Virginia, dreading the thought of a possible four-game losing skid to close the regular season and trying like heck to figure out how AD Kevin Anderson can in the coming weeks untangle a very tangled coach-in-waiting situation.

I’ve been tempted to pick Maryland to beat Miami. The Miami injuries have been well documented. But I don’t think Stephen Morris will be too much of a detriment for the ‘Canes. And, I mean no offense with this, but Jacory Harris won’t be back there playing catch with Adrian Moten and Kenny Tate the whole game – so that’s a downer for Maryland fans. In the end, I have a 7-1 record this season in predictions and I need to play it safe. It would not surprise me if Maryland wins, but the Terps don’t have me sold on the road. Miami has oodles of athleticism, strength, speed and size. It’s going to be a fascinating game and I expect both defenses to shine and create their share of general havoc. But Miami wins a wild one with a late Stephen Morris touchdown pass to his best wide receiver.

Miami 27, Maryland 20

Thoughts?

By Eric Prisbell  | November 5, 2010; 8:09 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friedgen: 'My staff has not gotten a raise in a while'
Next: Where are the fans?

Comments

Eric - you're right about Maryland's road performance. We didn't do very well against WVU and Clemson, but we beat BC on the road. This team has demonstrated the ability to put up a lot of points and the defense has held together in some tough situations. We have momentum from last week and Maryland has athletes as well. This is a game that could go either way, but I'm going with the Terps 27-24.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 5, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

It'll be a close one, but the home field at Miami is nothing like WVU or Clemson, I think the team avoids mental mistakes and squeaks one out, probably on a defensive or special teams score.

Posted by: Colm1 | November 5, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Awesome. I was just wondered what Eric Prisbell's record in predictions was this season! Very glad you are playing it safe this week. Phew!

Posted by: wbbradb | November 5, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I think the turnover bug hits the team, and the Miami defense takes advantage. With the Miami offense getting multiple drives on short fields, the inexperience of their skill players does not come into play, and the Maryland defense plays most of the game with their back against the wall.

As much as I'd like to see the Terps come out and get a big win, I just don't see it happening on the road against a superior athletic, hard-hitting team like Miami. The Terps also don't have a lot of motivation for this game, since they can still lose it and control their destiny for the ACC Title game. I also think the Miami starting QB and RB likely out will bring a cocky team into Sun Life Stadium, that will ultimately result in the 3rd loss of the season...31-20 Miami

Posted by: Russtinator | November 5, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I don't think we will win but I hope we do. We certainly have a great opportunity, but it isn't easy to go to South Florida and deal with the heat. We are on a nice roll, but none of our wins, except Navy, came against good teams. Now go ahead and blast away Barno and Flusheasy. I know that statement in your tiny minds is probably racist, elitist, unAmerican, criminal, disloyal and blatantly anti-Terrapin.

Posted by: petecard | November 5, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

This is the most winnable game left on the schedule:
-Sun Life: Nominal college football environment, at best, soothes Terp jitters
-Big Ralph finally has his players motivated
-DOB factor: excellent chance for him to garner some national attention in the South Florida sun AND his timely audibles continue to negate Franklin's idiotic play calling
-UVA is much better than they are given credit for (check the USC and Miami tapes)
-FSU is simply not a winnable game given the huge gap in talent
-NCSU's QB, Russell Wilson, will destroy Brown's defense

Get it done Fridge!

Posted by: MerlinTerps | November 5, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I am cautiously going with the Terps.
Don Brown's aggressive defense flusters the rook QB Morris and we win the game on turnovers. DOB has a statistically ugly game, but minimizes bad plays. The 31-7 loss at Clemson wasn't nearly as bad as the score indicates. With VT running away with the Coastal Div, I see a chance to get Miami when they are not amped to play.

Posted by: larry31 | November 5, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

No Worries Petecard for I have designated MYSELF as the ultimate arbiter in determining the caliber of fan one must be! No longer must you wear a freshly pressed sweatshirt XXL emblazoned with a photo of the Fridge to be considered a true fan! No longer must you wear little turtle slippers to bed and rest your head on a little turtle pillow to be considered a fan! No sir! From now on, the ONLY qualification to becoming a true Terps Fan is that you MAY NEVER have a screen name starting with the letter "B" and even remotely sounding like a little purple dinosaur!

Sorry BARNY1....you are OUT!!!! Please turn in your turtle badge and ALL of the others comments you have been saving for the last 5 years!

Cheers!

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 5, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Can't imagine the hate mail Prisbell must receive from Barno after not predicting the Terps to win 100-0.

Posted by: epdaly | November 5, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Hahaha

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 5, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Terps win 31-14. Logan scores and Tate pick 6.

Posted by: aviscardo | November 5, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Terps do have a shot with this game. Besides the Miami injuries, a noon game in the worst sports town in America is a perfect draw. It will be like playing in a library. Just win the turnover battle and they can win the game.

Posted by: epdaly | November 5, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Terps 17
Miami 16 (2 TD's and a safety)

And TerpfanMA....you don't have to be a superfan but you do have to go to the game if you've moved out of the area and the Terps travel to your state (considering its as small as Mass). You went right?

Posted by: fushezzi | November 5, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

If I had to agree with a post predicting a UMD loss, I'd go with Russ. Good post.

Posted by: fushezzi | November 5, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Miami is not going to be a hostile environment, especially at noon. I hope the Terps are cocky when they get there and blitz the hell out of the true freshmen QB.

Miami has looked disinterested in most of the games I have watched this year.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 5, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Maryland 42 - Miami 40, 26 years later!

Posted by: Kev29 | November 5, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I don't like to make predictions, my superstitious nature will not allow me to do so. However, I do believe that the Terps will be competitive in this game and who knows what can happen in the final 5 minutes of a tight game.

Go Terps!!

Posted by: Section505203 | November 5, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Well, Prisbell...
I am 6-2 in predicting Maryland games this year (of course I'll always pick the Terps to win).
I predict another Terp win which will tie our prediction records at 7-2.
I see Morris throwing a pick 6 and being the difference maker in a 34-28 MD victory.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | November 5, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epdaly | November 5, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Another straw man. I have no problem with anyone predicting a MD loss. I've done so myself many times over the years. My fellow fans hated it when I predicted a loss against Vtech the last 2 years or when I predicted a loss vs California last year. Didn't think we'd win down in clemson either. But hey, when you have no relevant counterpoints to make, I guess you have to reach a little eh Epdaly?

Posted by: Barno1 | November 5, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up, Francis.

Posted by: epdaly | November 5, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Francis, he and Vellano might just be the best pair of tackles in the ACC. Love the fact that they are sophomores and one or both should receive All ACC consideration this year.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 5, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

As for the Miami game, I stand by my prediction that if we win, Petecard/TerpfanMA/SirPelleas will diminish the achievement by pointing to the Miami injuries. And if we lose, they'll continue to call for Friedgen's head and mock our chances at winning any more games this year.

Does anyone want to bet me on this?

Posted by: Barno1 | November 5, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone want to bet me on this?

Posted by: Barno1 | November 5, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I predict...

I predict...

I predict that this is it, the breakout game. The "we are actually pretty f*ing good game. The Terps prove it to themselves and to everyone else game. Our experienced QB with his penchant for hitting TD passes will deliver. Miami's rookies will be forced into mistakes (and I am a firm believer that jacory Harris was nothing more than a memorable first name). I know Poopy would have issues with this, but I'm thinking Miami is a tad over-rated and the Terps give us what we are looking for.

If not, stay away from me Saturday (and I blame Franklin already). The kids had best keep their rooms clean and outta each others faces. And no discussions about the relationship. Yard work. Thats the ticket. Will be watching it on my computer screen anyways - but hey JP, I graduated to a much BIGGER screen than last year!

Either way, MD scores 30+, Miami scores in the 20s including a late garbage TD. Another player is added to the list that have already caught TD passes this year (DOB to J-Rob???? - thats the way to win in Miami). Presuure up the middle from our tackles keeps sending the Canes backwards.

Since the season started, I kept looking to this game to be the one. The-Joe-Smith-vs-Harrington-we're-back-game. If our guys execute, we'll be ok. Think 2001 vs. Ga Tech; we'd already beaten WVU that season but GT was ranked in the high teens. We beat them, were 4-0 and ranked (As I recall it, someone can correct me if I have the sequence/time wrong). This is the equivalent game. That was the day where I thought to myself, "hey, this new guy (RF) is pretyy f*ing good." As long as Franklin doesn't ball it all up with his play-calling we'll be ok.

Regards -

-hgr

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 5, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Great post HughGR. Barno, thanks for writing our material. Like we can't write yours? If the Terps win tomorrow they may have a shot at the Sweet 16.... oh, sorry, wrong sport!

Posted by: petecard | November 5, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Great post Hugh.

Posted by: fushezzi | November 5, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Let's go boys! Visualize what you need to do to win this weeks game and nothing else.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 5, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Except for playing up to your God given abilities and hustling while earning the win tomorrow!

Posted by: Realness1 | November 5, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

My final word on this: Eric gets it. He knows that Morris is the real deal. Miami followers think he will be much better than Harris. Hoping for a win, which would be big, but not expecting it...

Posted by: petecard | November 5, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

That was amazing. Greatest post in a long, long time. Thank you Hugh G.

Petecard, you can't write my material and that was pretty weak. One of the differences between you and me is you are far too predictable: always negative about the Terps to the core. How about being positive about our team for just once? You don't have to predict victory in any given game--that's not the point--but how bout a slightly more positive outlook about our bball or fball programs once in a blue moon...other than simply "FIRE GARY WILLIAMS!" or "FIRE FAT FRIEDGEN!" and "Greivis go pro and leave MD now!!!" Etc etc etc? Why not ever "I like this __________ player" or "I really liked how we played during this stretch"?

Posted by: Barno1 | November 5, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

We beat Georgia Tech that year (20-17 if my memory serves correct in OT) and we were the first team to reach 6 wins that season because the game was played on a Thursday night and became bowl eligible.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | November 5, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Ain't no point in another prediction when the world's greatest experts have provided theirs. Terps may as well head for the beach - no need to play the game.

Just kidding. Terps win it by 7 or more.

Posted by: AncientTerp | November 5, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

OK, no one can predict things, which is what makes sports fun, but...

OMG, 61% of you pick the Terps to win at Miami?! There's being a fan, and then there's being delusional!

I'm rootin' hard -- will even have some family members down there at the stadium rootin' hard too -- but oyayoy... I'll be REAL suprised if we win, Miami injuries or no.

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | November 6, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Hoping for a win........and a slow day at work so I can watch on my slingbox.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 6, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse