Posted at 8:46 AM ET, 11/19/2010

Predictions for Maryland-Florida State

By Eric Prisbell

I enter this game with a 9-1 record in predicting Maryland’s games this season. That mark makes up for my dreadful showing during Maryland’s inexplicably volatile 2008 season, which left my head spinning -- in the spirit of Chris Turner and his dad -- “Round and Round.” Can’t remember how I fared in 2009, the whole season was awful for everyone involved so you just block it out.

I’m eager to see Florida State’s pass rush. The Seminoles lead the nation in sacks per game (3.9). This team narrowly avoided a three-game losing streak, needing a 55-yard field goal as time expired to squeak out a victory over a talented, yet typically erratic Clemson squad. Maryland’s going to be as fired up as it has been all season. The defense is going to be flying around and making plays. Maryland’s wide receivers are going to have their moments. On the road to the Orange Bowl, this is the first of three must-win games for Maryland. But it’s also a critical game for Florida State. The Terrapins have played well against Florida State in the past. And they nearly beat FSU on the road last season. But that was without Christian Ponder under center for the Seminoles. He’s expected to start Saturday, and with him playing, I feel more confident about Florida State eliminating Maryland from bowl contention before a less-than-capacity crowd at Byrd Stadium. It won't be the dog of a game the 2008 FSU-Maryland showdown turned into, but the Seminoles will win nonetheless.

Florida State 26, Maryland 20.

And on to the Military Bowl we go, right? …

By Eric Prisbell  | November 19, 2010; 8:46 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pittsburgh's Dixon: Jordan Williams may be nation's 'best low-post scorer'
Next: Maryland Hopes To Rebound against 13th-ranked Illinois

Comments

Enough with the Military Bowl.

Eric, I am so confident that we WONT go there that I'll be willing to place a wager (monetary or not) that we go to a different bowl.

(Bar tab, monetary donation to charity, tickets to the bowl game - although I know you already get those)

You name it, I'm in.

Posted by: fushezzi | November 19, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Way to go out on a limb EP. Picking the favored team in every game. I'm taking you to Vegas!

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | November 19, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I think the Terps come out motivated, and are able to withstand FSU's pass rush because of DOB's smarts and a running game that actually gains over 150 yards...27-17 Terps.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 19, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Prisbell, your W/L record is irrelevant unless you are talking about against the spread (which you aren't). Most fans on here are 10-0 this season if you just look at the vote on these polls each week. Difference is, after this week, we'll be 11-0 while you'll be 9-2 for some reason.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 19, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Gotta RUN THE FOOTBALL on Saturday. And the majority of carries need to go to Meggett.

Posted by: AdoptedTerp | November 19, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Maryland is 2-18 all-time against FSU...

I do not see that win percentage improving this week...

And what's up with 10,000 empty seats in Byrd, it's not like it is FedEx field with a million seats!! It only seats 55,000 or so...

Posted by: jcard14 | November 19, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Eric, what was your one loss? Many of the TI crowd don't see the difference is picking the winner and choosing who you are rooting for. They say they do... but they really don't. I'm not one of them. I do think FSU will win. A Terp win would really fuel our fires and it would be by far our best win of the year. It would break a streak of losing to the teams that are considered better than us. That would be nice, but don't bet on it.

Posted by: petecard | November 19, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

A Terp win...would break a streak of losing to the teams that are considered better than us. That would be nice, but don't bet on it.

Posted by: petecard | November 19, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

A) Navy was a 7 point favorite over MD

B) Boston College was a 4.5 favorite over MD

C) You really need to stop commenting because all you do is force others to correct your idiotic comments

Posted by: Barno1 | November 19, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

What is the definition of a streak? WVA, Clemson, Miami... that's three in a row. Navy isn't better than Maryland, but off of last year it would be hard to imagine that they wouldn't have been favored. And everyone knows that it was a flucky win. BC was playing at home and betting lines figure in things like the nature of the fan base. Theirs is certainly more intense than ours. Barno, you need to just ST*U.

Posted by: petecard | November 19, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

It's gonna be tough to stop Ponder. He ate us up two years ago. That said, let's not pretend FSU is a juggernaut. It'll be a close one but the Terps come out on top 35-31.

Posted by: aviscardo | November 19, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

It all depends on which FSU team shows up. Will it be the one that ran over Miami, or the one who had 6 rushing yards through 3 quarters against Clemson?

FSU's pass rush is not performing like it did in the early season and the secondary is terrible.

FSU 30, Maryland 24.

Posted by: fakedude2 | November 19, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Barny..I wouldnt get too excited about being underdogs to Navy...the fact that after 10 years Fridge has built us into a program that was a 7 point dog to a military academy with only 4000 students is a disgusting disgrace

Now go back to fighting racial injustice wherever you can find it

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 19, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

"with him playing, I feel more confident about Florida State eliminating Maryland from bowl contention . . ."

WOW! Christian Ponder is going to beat the turtles so badly they lose two wins they already have? That's impressive. As an FSU I feel even better about our chances, but not about UMd's journalism department.

Posted by: dev6 | November 19, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Barno, while you are correct in that we were underdogs in those games, I think Petecard was referring to teams like FSU, VT, and WVU that have been difficult for Maryland to beat over the past several years. No reason to call him idiotic.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 19, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

It seems like every time Md has a big game in the last few years, they lose. Just when you start buying in again, you are disappointed. That's why so many people aren't going to the games, they are waiting for Md to be 'real' again, not a mirage that loses any important or big game. We're tired of being hurt.lol.

This game can turn it around for Md. prove to everyone they are for real. I believe! Lets go Terps!

Posted by: gs12 | November 20, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Prisbell, you're too damn realistic - but I like your objectivity. I know you are secretly hoping for a Terp win, but can't say it - that's ok.

Terps will win on a late field goal in overtime, set up by a Wojiak int.

BTW, nice articles lately. TerpNation has finally won you over.

Posted by: stevestegman | November 20, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

fakedude, you haven't been watching many FSU games, have you? Their secondary is young but talented and has shown up in most games. UNC game being an exception.

Posted by: sjfi | November 20, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I love these folks that criticize ralph and the mediocrity of the program? Did any of you attend football games under Duffner and Vandy? I remember my freshman year with Vandy coaching, there were more tumbleweeds in the stands than human people. I remember a game where there were nobody in the stands in the 2nd half, I could drink my flask in the student section and nobody cared...in broad daylight. Not even the ushers cared. I remember my senior year where we got blown out at home by Virgina like 80-0. I swear there were more ushers and vendors than people in the stadium.

MD will never be a college town. WE don't live in podunk or swamp town USA where NASCAR and college football is their main source of revenue.

Posted by: jdgreger@yahoo.com | November 20, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I also don't think it matters if Ponder starts or not. Their back up, Manuel, is really good.

34-20, FSU.