Posted at 8:18 AM ET, 11/18/2010

Some thoughts on Maryland football and basketball

By Eric Prisbell

A few housekeeping items and some random thoughts as I begin an extremely busy three-day stretch that includes a trip to NYC for the basketball at the Garden and the FSU-Maryland game Saturday night.

I’ll be joining Liz Clarke courtside at MSG tonight for two good games. I’ll blog and tweet throughout and update both multimedia tools with reaction from Gary Williams immediately after the game against Pittsburgh. I’m very interested in seeing Pittsburgh, one of my Final Four picks this season along with two usual faces, Duke and Michigan State, and one unfamiliar face, San Diego State. That’s my Final Four (with Ohio State right there as well), and with Izzo winning his second title. I’m also very interested in seeing Bruce Weber’s team because I have Illinois, along with San Diego State, as my national sleepers. Texas is improved after going, well, belly-up last season. Overall, this is a fine event with four NCAA tournament-worthy teams, and I want to see how Maryland’s young guards play on such a big stage. So I am hopping on a train to transcribe some tape on my way up to NYC today.

Back to football, players are motivated to beat all the teams that beat them last season. This game has some eerie similarities to the 2008 game, but I see it as much different. That was a team with 30 seniors who would come out flat on any given night. That team epitomized the term erratic. They could beat anyone or lose to anyone. They won eight games but underachieved. This team is pretty consistent, beating the teams it should and losing to the teams it should. This is an above average team and usually plays to that level.

On another note, I do think this game is bigger than the 2008 game. That game was the high water mark (at least before the game started) for that team and everyone knew the program would have to hit the reset button in 2009. This team is rising, continuing to improve. It will be better next season, but this game will determine whether it is ready to win a division title this season or whether this season will end with mediocre bowl. Then consider the coaching ramifications, both for Friedgen and for James Franklin. No one is saying they are gone with a loss. I don't see that at all. But a win seemingly increases the chances of a Friedgen extension at some point, which in turn would decrease – or erase – the chances of Franklin being head coach in 2012. The fan base has been hesitant to jump back on board with this program after last season’s hellish year, and understandably so. This game could change that. This is a huge game. Friedgen has talked about hoping to get Byrd packed roughly 128 times this week.

Thanks for all the comments about the attendance and attitude of the fans. I’ve covered big-time games at many of the top schools in the country when we used to cover national college football earlier this decade, and it was exhilarating to experience unique atmospheres in places like Ole Miss, Southern California, Oregon and Nebraska, to name only a few. I never expected anything like that at Maryland. But I expected a little less apathy. Maybe it’s because the conference is a punch line in the minds of some. Once I would like to attend a Maryland game as a spectator – I never have – to get a sense of the fan experience. But I’ll be honest, I’m not sure I’d be willing to sit and watch an ACC team play a non-BCS team on an autumn Saturday.

As for the bowls, I’m a bit surprised fans are upset at the prospect of playing at RFK in the Military Bowl against a Conference USA opponent. I don’t see it as any less prestigious than the Independence Bowl, but maybe you disagree. I see it as a pretty decent bowl, to be honest. I don’t think it’s fair that so much of the process is predicated on which teams travel best. But like so much in college football, fairness has nothing to do with it. Maybe Maryland will render the issue moot by winning the next two and reaching the ACC title game. Could happen. Also, keep an eye on Nashville, which pairs an ACC team against an SEC team. If Nashville had the choice of Maryland or Georgia Tech, the Yellow Jackets may not be a slam dunk.

Last issue I want to mention, I made a comment a few days ago about hoping that readers avoid another debate about race and hiring practices. I took another look at the comments. The last thing I would ever want to do here is discourage discourse and debate. I welcome and encourage it. As long as it is done in an intelligent fashion, I’m all for it. So have at it. Even you, Barno.

By Eric Prisbell  | November 18, 2010; 8:18 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland's three most likely bowl destinations
Next: Sizing up the fifth-ranked Pittsburgh Panthers

Comments

EP you expected a little less apathy and we expect a PROFESSIONAL journalist who doesn't get his "jollies" trying to create controversy? Where is the follow up on the AAU programs. FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP44 | November 18, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Dear Washington Post:

Please fire Prisbell already.

Why do we have someone covering our team that doesn't have interest in attending the games?? -- He doesn't have to be a fan, in fact I prefer not to have a reporter who is biased a cheerleader, but at least give us someone who gives a $hit enough to possibly attend a game of the team he's covering, let alone care about the conference he's covering!! See Matt Bracken: Baltimore Sun--

Prisbell is mailing it in and frankly I think I'd get more insight reading the Diamondback at this point for my Terps coverage.

QTE
UQTE

FAILURE!

Posted by: ntags | November 18, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Nice post, Eric, except for your last comment. Quite a few of us would like Barno to st*u on many of his jingoistic blathers. That aside, this is quite a weekend for both Maryland football and basketball. I will be at the Garden on Friday night and watching both games tonight. I too am concerned with our guard play, not just the young guards who offer some real hope, but with the play of Bowie. Clearly, Pe'Shon has some real upside. It would be great to see him warm to the environment of the Garden on his first visit. Wonder how long we will have him and JW together? Tucker is off to a good start too, but one has to be concerned with Mosley and Gregory. Our TO's are way too high and we haven't exactly played good competition. These two games will be a very good barometer. Let's hope we come away better than we did last year in our early big games. How about one good win? Rooting for two!

Posted by: petecard | November 18, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Eric, see what I mean about these idiots who read and don't comprehend? ntags thinks you aren't AT the games because you don't sit with the fans. He doesn't even think that you might be with the media. You may need to start writing your posts as if they were directed to the "great unwashed" illiterate.

Posted by: petecard | November 18, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Any writer or media personality that gets readers/listeners to respond is doing a good job.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 18, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Jeez..some people get downright angry when you voice an opinion they dont like....I think Pete is right...EP was just saying that he is usually in the press box....he is paid to cover the team not be a Barny wannabee cheerleader that some of you so desperately need

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 18, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Basketball
Looking forward to watching the Terps tonight, though I don't see them beating Pitt. Excited to see them play, especially JW and SM.

Football
Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing the Terps play an SEC team. C-USA - boooorrring.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 18, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Pete..if u live in NY, your Sox comment makes sense....Come on over to the "Nation"..there is still room

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 18, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

It would have been nice to catch Pitt a little later in the season but we should find out where we are and win or lose, Gary will use it as an experience to build on

Good Luck tonight Turtles!

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 18, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I think EP was referring to the pressbox as opposed to sitting with the crowd.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 18, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

"he is paid to cover the team not be a Barny wannabee cheerleader that some of you so desperately need" - TerpFanMA

So, TerpFanMA is now actually mocking those who CHEER for their team. Dude, why are you here?

Posted by: aviscardo | November 18, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

See you at the game Friday Pete!

Posted by: fushezzi | November 18, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Terpfan, I live in Westchester County just outside the City. You and I should probably not discuss baseball. There is enough hate on this site! :)

Posted by: petecard | November 18, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

True Enough! Enjoy the game tonight Pete...I will be watching on TV but will look forward to your comments tomorrow from actually being there...I am sure we will have a number of fans but probably not quite as many as Pitt since this is a Big E arena

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 18, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Yankees and Red sox might not be enough to get Pete and TerpMA disagreeing, but once Bball season gets into full gear I have a feeling they will be on polar ends.

I've read that TerpfanMA is a Gary lover and supporter, while Pete is not happy with the program and how Gary runs it.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | November 18, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Fans have become apathetic-usually happens after a 2-10 campaign and a few other mediocre seasons. It happens at Ole Miss, it'll happen at many programs that are not top programs. MD averaged over 50K for 5-6 seasons in the mid 2000's, the fans were not apathetic then. winning is the only thing that sustain the support at MD because the school gave up on football from the mid 80s through 2000.

As far as being critical of Eric, i think he should try conducting better research with his articles instead of relying on insinuations often. He also should not take it personally when MD fans object to the manner to which he portrays the school and fans. Prisbell is a the beat reporter, he should stop trying to be a columnist. He should take a cue from Pat Stevens who is 10x the writer Eric is and rarely created controversy just for the sake of someone reading his articles. Josh Barr was a sorry excuse of a beat writer and is now covering HS games in Warren County.

Posted by: minhle1 | November 18, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

what kind of terp loves Gary and craps on the football program because he doesn't like Ralph?

Posted by: minhle1 | November 18, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Minhle1, funny thing is a year ago petecard despised Gary but loved Ralph. Now he just hates them both. Course, tomorrow will be his first MD basketball game this decade so who can blame him for being so clueless.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 18, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

The basketball games tonight and tomorrow night in MSG involve four teams (Maryland, Pitt, Texas and Illinois) from four different major conferences. Here is a look at how they stack up.

Early in this season all four are undefeated, with only Maryland and Pitt having played any really competitive games. The Terps squeaked by COC and Pitt had a rough time before beating Rhode Island 83-75. Pitt is ranked 5th in the AP, Illinois 13th, Texas 26th and the Terps are tied for 43rd

Pitt, Illinois and Texas are all considered much stronger than last year. The Terps finished last year ranked 20th and it is uncertain that they will be as good as last year.

Maryland is the only school to win a national championship.

Of the four programs, Pitt and Texas have been the strongest in recent years, Illinois is third and Maryland has been the weakest.

It’s early in the season, but winning one of two games in MSG would be a very good sign and a big improvement over last year’s start. Maybe we will win two!

Posted by: petecard | November 18, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

barno-

i'm no cheerleader either, I've had my fair of issue with both coaches. But the "throw our the baby with the bathwater" mentality of lame. For football, it's a process, and with or without Ralph, the program has the talent in place to move forward. To suggest that making it to the #2 or 3 ACC bowl has no consequences is ridiculous, and such notion can only come from someone who cannot appreciate the value of a strong football program, one that carries the costs of an AD.

Posted by: minhle1 | November 18, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"Maryland plays in the NIT so often it should consider becoming the title sponsor. Turtle Soup, brought to you by Gary Williams. Simply warm and serve." -Petecard

Posted by: Barno1 | November 18, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I'll be at the games tonight and tomorrow. Would love to win both but would be happy with 1-1. Go Terps. Go away Barno.

Posted by: epdaly | November 18, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

FROM PETECARD:

"In looking at the programs, their performances in the last eight NCAA Tournaments show the following records: Texas has made all eight tournaments, 4 Sweet 16’s, 3 Elite 8’s and 1 Final 4. Pitt has made all 8 tournaments, 4 Sweet 16’s, and 2 Elite 8’s. Illinois has made 6 of 8 tournaments, 2 Sweet 16’s and, 1 Elite 8 and 1 Final 4. Maryland has made 5 of 8 tournaments and 1 Elite 8 (eight years ago, 2003)."

==>Dude, you don't know how to present stats. You do not start counting a Sweet 16, an Elite Eight, and a Final Four ALL for the year a team makes the Final Four - get a clue.

Second, you conveniently look at the past eight years to measure the programs, nicely leaving out years 9 and 10 - when the Terps won the Natty (gee, thx for mentioning it)and had a sweet 16 appearance. Oh, and instead of an odd 8 years, do 11 years and include the Terps other Final Four appearance. Why did you manipulate the stats like that? Another long standing agenda?

"Maryland is the only school to win a national championship"
==> Gee, thanks for noting it, but not including it in the stats.

==> not correct even for eight years. But looking at 10 years, your comments appear flat out way off. Ask Rick Barnes, Bruce Webber and Jamie Dixon which last 10 years of basketball they would take from the respective 4 schools - The Answer Is - yes, the Terps! (Terps - 1 Natty, 1 Final Four, 1 Sweet 16, 4 2nd Rd, 1 1st Rd; Texas - 1 Final Four, 2 Elite Eights, 2 Sweet 16, 2 2nd Rd, 3 1st Rd; Pitt (w/ Ben too) - 2 Sweet 16, 3 2nd Rd, 1 1st Rd; Illinois (w/ Bill too)- 1 Final Four, 1 Elite Eight, 2 Sweet 16, 2 2nd Rd, 2 1st Rd. Enuff said :)

Wow - amazing how your stats do not tell the whole story - help support the team and put the Terps best foot forward in the record column! Plus, we're playing in the toughest basketball conference in the country!

Posted by: terptek | November 18, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

FROM PETECARD:

"Maryland is the only school to win a national championship"
==> Gee, thanks for noting it, but not including it in the stats.

Posted by: terptek | November 18, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

1 elite eight for
Pitt - "oversight" lol

Posted by: terptek | November 18, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh how surprising to find that Epdaly is also an out of towner.

let's see, the main haters on this blog are petecard, terpfanMA, Poopy_Mcpoop/DixonTheDog, and epdaly.

All of them have one thing in common: none of them live in the DMV. What a shocker.

Note that you can certainly be a great, dedicated, loyal Terp fan if you don't live in this area. However, there is also a direct correlation between Terps fans who constantly attack our programs and those who live out of area.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 18, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm pro-Gary but think the Friedgen regime has run its course. How does that make me a hater? Is that because I don't blindly follow all things Maryland, I'm not a true fan? Worsto1, please go away.

Posted by: epdaly | November 18, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

epdaly, to answer your question, yes you can want your coach fired and still be a fan. However, you always support guys like TerpfanMA, poopy, and petecard who are clear, unavowed, haters. Petecard wanted Gary Williams booted and Greivis Vasquez gone...if that doesn't make him a hater, what does it make him, just an idiot? I'm curious.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 18, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Barny...I told you yesterday (and repeatedly before that) I only dislike the Fridge...why do you persist with this nonsense and your imaginary "fanmeter"???

......I am not going to waste my time searching for your quote but I remember you saying something a few weeks ago that you would stop supporting the program if they made Franklin HC

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 18, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Barny...the fact that you think you can lay out the guidelines of fandom is hilarious...as if there are some written rules about what is permitted...what a pompous joke you are....

Every person decides if they are a fan on their own...period, end of story

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 18, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

TerpfanMa-were you one of the posters who consistently bashed Greivas and the bball program in the past couple of years? There were some posters here who did so.

Also are you going to the game Sat. night? The fridge is not going to get an extension and Franklin is not getting the HC job. It's not a reason to trash the program because as I stated before, it has the talent to be ranked for the next couple of years with or without this regime. It's certainly not a reason to be dismissive of the program's aspirations to make it to a good bowl. i already told you why it's important for the program.

Posted by: minhle1 | November 18, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Min...

No, I never complained about Terp BBall...No, I am not going to the game on Sat...our families are coming to Boston this weekend for Thanksgiving...Just for the record (and because it seems to matter for some on this board)..we live in Boston and usually (but not every year) get to Homecoming for Football and get to one BBall game during the holidays when we are down for Christmas...other than that, we follow them on TV or computer....Again, I dislike the Fridge and the only reason that seeps into negative comments about the "program" is that I know that football would be in a better state with a different coach (for all of the reasons I have previously stated and are not worth repeating)...that is my opinion

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 18, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

And Barny...dont waste your time googling for negative quotes from me about Terp BBall...you wont find any

And you're welcome for saving you 2hrs of looking

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 18, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Terp"fan"MA, No need to google anything as I have something called a "memory" that allows me to "remember" that you haven't attacked Gary or Terps bball on here before.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 18, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Teprs AD Kevin Anderson says Fridge returns for 2011 - good news to pump up the guys b4 Sat night - I'll be there - will I see all of you? Let's Go Terps!!!

Posted by: terptek | November 18, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Fridge seems almost insulted by Kevin Anderson's statement. Why wouldn't he be back? Fridge is under contract for next year, has put his team in great position this season, and as Prisbell said "no one expects Friedgen to be gone next year at this point."

So what gives, Anderson? Why drop this now except to get your name in the news just in time for the ABC telecast saturday night.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 18, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

"As for the bowls, I’m a bit surprised fans are upset at the prospect of playing at RFK in the Military Bowl against a Conference USA opponent. I don’t see it as any less prestigious than the Independence Bowl, but maybe you disagree."

Most prognostications have Air Force in the Independence Bowl. I don't know about any else here but I'd be very happy to see Maryland play them...they are a very good team with a high-powered offense. Their only loses have come against Oklahoma, TCU, Utah and San Diego State (who almost beat TCU last week). Most forecasts have East Carolina in the Military...they've had some good wins (NC State) but also some unattractive losses (Navy) so I wouldn't be excited to play them...I don't think a win would get much street cred for Maryland. For me, at least, it has less to do with the bowl than the opponent. Honestly, outside of the Orange and Peach opponents, Air Force may be the best team the ACC faces in the bowls. I think they'd beat just about any of the Big East teams.

Posted by: ferraridoug | November 19, 2010 3:27 AM | Report abuse