Posted at 1:35 AM ET, 11/21/2010

Which bowl will land Maryland?

By Eric Prisbell

As I have said for weeks, the most likely destination for Maryland is the Military Bowl at RFK Stadium. And that remains the case after the 30-16 loss to Florida State. My hunch, without doing further research at 1:35 a.m. here in the press box of Byrd Stadium, is that Shreveport, La. (Independence Bowl) will have to decide between Georgia Tech and Maryland. I don't think that choice is cut and dry, but I think they'll take GT.

Where do you think Maryland will go?

I'm try to get something I have not gotten in a long time: sleep.

By Eric Prisbell  | November 21, 2010; 1:35 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Florida State beats Maryland, 30-16
Next: Maryland and the Military Bowl

Comments

Here is a re-post of my post-FSU-game rant with minor clarifications. Twice this season (Miami was the other) we had the opportunity for the breakthrough game. Twice we did not capitalize. Wrangling over the bowl games is irrelevant tonight. We won't be in the BCS. I have a f-ing right to be disappointed and I am.

For starters, I don't mind the "Black Out" concept, but it does not work and the names of the players should be on the jerseys. I'm sure someone noted the irony of a team wearing "honor", "Integrity" and "commitment" got BEAT by a MFer wearing "Moody." For those of us who are married, honor, integrity and commitment get bettered by MOODY on a continual basis. Do "Scott" "Logan" or "Smith' offend anybody? WTF? WHO IS THE IDIOT WHO THOUGHT THAT WAS COOL AND HOW MANY IDIOTS BOUGHT OFF ON THAT CRAP?

Second thing that p*ssed me off was that NOW WE FINALLY BURN Garcia's redshirt. That shoulda been burnt at the beginning of the season. We've been thin at o-line all year and an injury away from playing him. So NOW WE play him cold in the biggest game in 2 years when we coulda had a deeper o-line all year. IT GETTING burnt was inevitable. We really were that thin at o-line.

I am disappointed about the game, but would rather lose with O'Brien than otherwise. I absolutely do not regret the Fridge re-signing (unless the stupidity on the uniforms was HIS idea...he better say it was a surprise on him or might change my mind on this specific point); coaching really did not lose the game. The specifics of the loss aren't even worth rehashing - not that it was closer than the final score indicates, or that we were in until the end, or we were robbed on interception that wasn't - all irrelevant. We lost. It sucks. It hurts. And the feeling is way too f-ing familiar.

Yeah, I know we will be back (next year or soon thereafter) in this position again - meaningful game with the division on the line - over the next couple of years. I hope we don't lose that next one too.

Woulda complained about Garcia's redshirt and the moronic names on the uniforms regardless IF WE HAD WON. And if it was pointing to a higher purpose it failed. Otherwise I thought the color scheme of the uniforms looked fine.

Regards -

-hgr

"ARRRGGGGHHHH" - Charlie Brown after Lucy yet again pulls the football away.

Posted by: HughGRection | November 21, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Nice rant hgr, never seen this side of you before. The shirts were the same, with words replacing names, last year. Obviously much cheaper for Under Armor to produce a few groups of shirts with words rather than 80 "named" shirts. I do think every good idea eventually becomes not such a good idea and maybe it's time to forget about the 'camo' shirts and the 'black outs'. Totally agree with you on losing Garcia's red shirt year. Tough 3 days for UMD fans losing 2 basketball games and a football game that maybe we could have won.

Posted by: erniegogo | November 21, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there's a connection between the black out and the jerseys, which were for the Wounded Warrior Project. South Carolina also had their names replaced last year; not sure who else is participating this time. The worn jerseys are being auctioned off at umterps.com. Of all the things one might complain about, jerseys probably ought to find their way to the bottom of the list.

Posted by: skd2 | November 21, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Camo, OK. Blackout, no. This idea has jumped the shark a long time ago. I don't mind saluting and helping the troops, but I'd rather concentrate on winning ballgames.

Crummy week to be a Terp fan, what with two losses at MSG and Saturday night. In all three games, the bb and fb teams showed heart and had the potential to pull off the upsets, but hurt themselves with silly mistakes (poor foul shooting on Thursday, turnovers on Fri. and Sat.).

Wondering when we'll ever get past being almost good enough to being great...

Posted by: ecglotfelty | November 21, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Exactly, Mr. Reaction spends more time ranting about the names on the back of the jerseys than anything else.

And I don't blame the coaching staff one bit for trying to hold onto Garcia's (or anybody else's for that matter) redshirt for as long as they could. There are games beyond this season and we're going to need players to play in them for us.

Posted by: CapsNut | November 22, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I don't think HGR is complaining that they were trying to hold onto Garcia's redshirt, just the fact that they had to burn it so late in the season. If they were so thin at O-line, and Garcia, who by all accounts is the most talented reserve linemen on the roster, then Garcia's redshirt should have been burned after DeSouza's injury, not 4 weeks later. The staff was rolling the dice for 4 weeks when they should have just played the kid when it was obvious they were one serious injury away from having no ligitimate reserves.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 22, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Russ. You stated what I was thinking better than I did.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | November 22, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

HGR---

Kevin Plank gives Maryland a lot of money, and I don't care if he wants them to wear pink jerseys for charity--we do it. I just question why we were doing it for this game when three other schools (Texas Tech, Utah, and South Carolina) did it two weeks ago closer to veteran's day.

I'd personally love to have one of those helmets. They were sweet with the cammo in the "Terps" and the red metallic flex on black---nice look.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 22, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Also, I didn't mind the jerseys. If Kevin Plank want them to wear special jerseys, I say you do whatever Mr. Plank wants because of his financial commitment to the program.

You have to admit, even if you didn't like the jerseys, the helmets were sweet with the cammo in the "Terps" along with red metallic flex on black.

If anyone wants to complain about jerseys, look at what the basketball team trotted out wearing on Friday. The black looked fine, but the script "Maryland" on the front, which is also on the yellow jerseys this year, looks TERRIBLE! A school's name should NEVER be in script on a the front of a jersey, period.

Posted by: Russtinator | November 22, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse