Who is the favorite for ACC coach of the year honors?

Once again:

Miami QB Jacory Harris is questionable for Saturday’s Maryland game with a concussion suffered when he was hammered in the first half of the Virginia loss.

The Maryland-Miami game is set for a noon kickoff.

So who’s the favorite for ACC coach of the year at this point?

Maryland Coach Ralph Friedgen has to be in the mix. The one caveat is that his team has yet to beat an ACC team with a winning record. In fact, Maryland has beaten only one division I-A team (Navy) with a winning record. Taking that a step further, Maryland has played just two d-1-A teams (Navy and West Virginia) with winning records, and both of those teams are 5-3. The combined record of Maryland’s division I-A opponents is 23-32.

By Eric Prisbell  | November 1, 2010; 8:23 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Miami's Jacory Harris might not play against Maryland
Next: Maryland quarterback O'Brien earns ACC rookie honors ... again

Comments

Too early to tell.

Posted by: SirPelleas | November 1, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Terp fans, but the lack of a winning record for your opponents derails the honor. NCST? Nah, can't win a big game or beat Va Tech. FSU? Best shot with Tech at taking the BCS slot. Uva: Is it April Fool's Day already? I don't get the joke, either.

I will give Ralph the award if he makes it to the ACC Championship game.

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | November 1, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Attention Terps fans,

According to the Associate Press voters, we are currently the 29th best team in America. A win next week and we will likely move into the top 25. While the Petecards and Terp"fan"MAs of this blog continue to bash Coach Friedgen and the Terps, the sane folks on here appreciate the job Friedgen has done with this team this year. From 2-10 to 6-2 with a freshman quarterback and an O-line that not only is littered with underclassmen, but has lost their starting left tackle to the pros, lost their replacement left tackle for the season to injury, and lost their other tackle to a car accident.

Most projections did not have MD in the top 75 heading into this season, and now we are on the cusp of the top 25. If the voting were done today, Ralph Friedgen should win hands down.

Viva the Fridge

Posted by: Barno1 | November 1, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Barny...lets see how fatty does against competitive teams...he is running the team at a LARGE public U with over 35,000 students and athletes...yep so far he has beaten mostly small private Us with enrollments maybe 1/10th the size of UMD...if thats your definition of coach of the year, then so be it, but I would like to see him compete against larger schools...so far he is 0-2 and quite frankly has been embarrassed in those games...so is say the jury is still out....and i grant you that 6-2 is pretty good compared to the shiite sandwich that he served up last year but do you really want to give COY honors to someone who give you disgusting one year and then follows it up with mediocre the next? I guess thats your prerogative but wouldnt be mine...(and again, dont forget that these werent fattys first 2 years here...this is basically what the program has evolved into...his bad years will be 2-10 and the good seasons will be 6-7 wins depending on how weak the schedule is followed by a "who cares" december bowl....I still think given the same recruiting advantages fatty has, the coach at Navy would kick the pants out of any team Fatty could put on the field and do it for half the price we are paying the "rotund one"

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 1, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Barno: Most improved is not the same as Coach of the Year.

Why isn't Miami in here? But for Jacory Harris' injury, they'd be part of the ACC championship, which is about 60% of the coach of the year award. NC State has been miserable for years (since some kid named Rivers played there). For the "boo hoo we don't have Seniors playing" argument, the Hokies only returned three defensive starters this year, which was apparant in the JMU Fiascobowl. And for that matter, Carolina and Clemson are only one conference win behind the Terps.

I'm not a Terps grad, though my first game was there in '71, my sister did her time in College Park (and Adelphi), and one of my best friend's dad's (and a second father to me before he passed) was a two year starter for the Basketball team in the 50's, so I'm really sympathetic to the Terrapins. If there are haters out there, well, they probably went to Uva and are just jealous that they currently stink in every soprt they play (except maybe soccer and laccrosse, but, frankly, who really cares beyond the players and their parents).

And for the Fridge, I'm glad he's best friends with Frank Beamer, so when they both get passed over for Jimbo Fisher, they can console each other over Mai Tais at their adjoining lake houses. I think Beamer's contract has a $25K kicker for ACC Coach of the Year; not sure about Friedgen. Hope they can live on the $6M they'll make between them this year without the bonus.

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | November 1, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

terpfanMA: You obviously have a thing about Fridge's girth. You fear the inexorable expansion of your own Sans-a-Belt slacks (yes, slacks), the fact that your first kiss was secretly with a hefty girl at a frat party, and you despise the fact that you mom got re-married to Brad and got fat.

Grow up, tone up, and stop making me want to throw up.

Please.

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | November 1, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

SirPelleas said it best..

Posted by: frostanna | November 1, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

hahah...I will worry about that if/when i surpass the 200lb mark....right now i keep a picture of him on my wall as a reminder of what happens if you each 4 cheesesteaks a day

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 1, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

"Fatty" is all you can come up with? Weak, very weak. And you used it 4 times in your post. Ridiculously foolish.

And if one truly is a Terp Fan why would that person constantly run down "their coach" with lame jokes that have all the imagination of a VT grad?

Posted by: Section505203 | November 1, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

ahh section 5...I remember you...you are the one who couldnt tell the difference between THIS year and LAST year related to UNC bball....oh and by the way, "fatty" is not a joke...its just a nickname cuz he's a tad on the heavy side

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 1, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

As usual TerpfanMA has it right, fat references aside. This is another one of those who cares questions asked way too early in the season.

Posted by: petecard | November 1, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

It is too early to tell, but I am very happy with this past game.

As for TerphaterMA, I don't think he is fat, but I think he is a small, angry, typical new englander.

Posted by: garrett4 | November 1, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

I agree, in general with your post; however, your reasoning is flawed. The Terps are a very surprising 6-2 largely BECAUSE of Danny O'Brien, not in spite of having to play a red-shirt freshman at QB. Also, Don Brown is coaching the defense very well...I am becoming a huge fan. Danny O'Brien reminds me of Riley Skinner...he can take an average team and make them very good. WF didn't do anything before Skinner and they are doing anything after Skinner. The best part is that OBrien will probably eclipse Skinner's talent this year or next.

I am not getting too excited over this debate. The meat of the schedule starts this weekend. Let's wait and see...and cheer for the Terps!

Posted by: larry31 | November 1, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

terpfan: You are only 23 inches tall? That's merely undertall, not overweight.

And section5: What does a Uva grad call a Hokie? "Boss."

That's a funny joke from a funny Hokie.

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | November 1, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Larry, I agree with everything you said. I am a huge O'Brien fan. We are winning because of him. And yes, he reminds me of Skinner too. I think he can be the best QB in the ACC.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 1, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse