Posted at 8:12 AM ET, 12/ 3/2010

Report: Clemson to Car Care Bowl, ACC bowl picture takes shape

By Eric Prisbell

The ACC bowl picture is slowly, finally starting to come into focus with some expected developments, although there remains the possibility of some unexpected wrinkles:

As expected, the Chick-fil-A Bowl said they would take the loser of the ACC championship. So Florida State and Virginia Tech will be off the board when Orlando’s Champs Sports Bowl selects in the third position.

As expected, Charlotte’s Meineke Car Care Bowl has nabbed Clemson, according to the intrepid folks at CUTigers.com. The timing was surprising, not the news.

And while all indications have pointed to Miami – or even Boston College --- going to the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas, in the fourth spot, I have been told by two sources to watch out for North Carolina winding up there instead. Nashville’s Music City Bowl has the fifth pick and it is no secret that Nashville covets UNC – but will it get the chance to take the scandal-scarred Heels? Safe money still on the ‘Canes.

What does all this mean for Maryland? Right now, Maryland is engaged in a full-throttle, backroom lobbying battle against N.C. State for the chance to represent the ACC in Champs. It may prove easier to defeat N.C. State physically on the field – Maryland won, 38-31 --- than it will be to beat the Wolfpack in the verbal politicking duel.

So, for Maryland, if not Orlando, then where do they fall? Some believe I have dwelled too much on the empty seats, but it’s been the undercurrent to the entire season, and we’ll see in two days if it possesses enough force to carry Maryland to an undesired destination – home.

When I wrote about Maryland’s attendance issues a few weeks ago, one reader e-mailed saying the explanation has little to do with the market or television or the economy. The reason for the empty seats, he said, is because no one cares about Maryland football. I refute that. Tell that to the 19,000 who bought season tickets this season. Or the 35,000 who stayed four quarters in a chilled, wind-swept stadium Saturday.

But as we near Sunday’s formal bowl announcement --- and Maryland fans, coaches and players cling to hopes of playing Notre Dame in Orlando --- the biggest weakness of this team is clearly not on the field. It is in the stands. It may be that not enough fans care about Maryland football. And possessing this season’s best ACC coach, best ACC rookie, best ACC turnaround story may not be enough to offset that inconvenient truth.

By Eric Prisbell  | December 3, 2010; 8:12 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Notre Dame, West Virginia, South Florida and Maryland's bowl hopes
Next: All signs point to Maryland-East Carolina in the Military Bowl

Comments

I've got a new idea for a column for you. Why don't you do a poll about the military bowl? Better yet you should keep doing polls and writing the same thing for weeks. That is the imaginative, hard-nosed journalism we have come to expect.

Posted by: rickroll | December 3, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

This is going to be fun, Eric. You are going to get roasted for the following comment:

"Maryland offers a compelling turnaround story line, but does it resonate with those outside the Beltway? Heck, does it resonate with many inside the Beltway? Images of thousands of empty seats at Byrd Stadium contrast with scenes of N.C. State faithful turning out in force; this season has represented the Wolfpack’s best-ever average attendance."

The attackers just won't read it as it is written. They won't see the question marks. They will see those questions as your beliefs. They will hate you for stating the facts about NC State attendance. They will roast you for once again even bringing up the Military Bowl.

Not that you should care. This is a fine piece even though in my opinion all the speculation just doesn't matter. Wish we had some basketball commentary...

Posted by: petecard | December 3, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

2 comments here:

First, let this be a lesson to Fridge to win the games on the field to take this type of nonsense off the table..perhaps next year! The fall flat game against Clemson and the breakdowns against Miami loom large now....HGR mentioned the spike in the NCST game possibly hurting...not sure I agree but cant dispute it

Second, I do tend to agree that the insinuations against MD lack specificity...EP mentions NCST record avg attendance??? Well, what is it???? and how does it compare to UMDs??? I guess we can all individually google it but it would be better if the actual data rather than just the insinuations are included

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 3, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Enough with the Military Bowl.

Eric, I am so confident that we WONT go there that I'll be willing to place a wager (monetary or not) that we go to a different bowl.

(Bar tab, monetary donation to charity, tickets to the bowl game - although I know you already get those)

You name it, I'm in.

Posted by: fushezzi | November 19, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------

Eric, this offer still stands

Posted by: fushezzi | December 3, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

And TerpsfanMA

I agree with your last paragraph. Oddly took the words right out of my mouth.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 3, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

This is tough, for starters, the last game - at home against NCState was over the Thanksgiving weekend, when a lot of students aren't on campus. Also, look at the home game schedule - Morgan St, FIU, Duke, Wake, FSU, NCSt. Only the last two are worthy of a crowd anywy. The FSU game DID get a big crowd, and like I said, the NCSt game was over Thanksgiving weekend. If MD goes to the Military Bowl and plays E.Carolina, not that many people are going to think of it as much more than another average home game...and attendance will suffer...and this time next year people will say "no one even went to their bowl game"...and the circle will continue. And that is why we should go to the Peach Bowl (or maybe just the Champs Sports Bowl...) .. Any takers?

Posted by: jaknight | December 3, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I don't think there would be any discussion if MD had preserved their 21 point lead over NCST, or at least won by 14. The comedy of errors sparked by the dunk may ultimately prove costly in this bowl selection process. A school that routs another HAS to look substantially more attractive in the eyes of any selection committee than one that merely one a close one at home.

I know I sound pretty RMOG about a win (and it wouldn't be the first time) but Torrey knew 15 yards before he dunked the ball that he was going to dunk it and would get a penalty. It was a decision on his part and a pretty bad one. He had a great game and a great year and a great career at MD. It would be a real shame to to see MD lose the beauty contest to NCST.

No he was not the only problem in those last few minutes, but his penalty got the ball rolling.

The upside is that if the Terps get a good bowl over NCST then Yow gets f*ed and I never have to think of that spike again.

If they don't....I have still have memories of Alvin Blount's fumble against PSU in 1985 (stifling heat, preseason #1 rank on the line, long losing streak to PSU about to be ended, down by two, seconds on the clock, clearly within Jess Atkinson's range, fumble on second effort). I don't want more memories like that.

Yes I'm happy they won. But the college game rewards style points (big blow-outs). I really don't think EP would be posting this stuff if the game had not ended up so close.

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Ok, I'm off mentioning (and re-mentioning) the dunk.

Echo several others - where are the BB posts?

Listened to GW and Johnny Holiday interview GV last night. GW talked at length about Faust's ball handling abilities.

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Also, EP mentions the furious lobbying effort...I am assuming the ADs play a huge role in this....how does Yows long ACC experience and contacts with ACC tie-in bowls come into play vs the new guy Anderson????? These are the things inquiring minds want to know...decisions are being made right now that may have nothing to do with attendance and everything to do with who your friends are

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 3, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

HGR - I highly doubt the Terps are going to be punished for Torrey's dunk, the ensuing penalty, or how they won that game. It's going to be internal ACC politicking, Yow vs Fridge, "fan bases" and the like. I agree the college game rewards style points, but only for the higher up the ladder bowl games...BCS, and top-flight non-BCS games. This low on the totem pole and it's "how lucrative will your team be for our game?" (sadly)

Posted by: jaknight | December 3, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

HGR....I was at that game too...what a crusher! It was like 113 down on the field that day..I was down in the lower corner of the endzone in the horseshoe....I think I still have the copy of Sport Mag with the pre-season #1 on the cover

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 3, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

rickroll - Don't be upset. Eric's gotta make his money too - and he's obviously getting paid by the organizers of the Military Bowl.

Posted by: NaptownTerrapin | December 3, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

That was a great show last night. GV just coulnd not stop talking about how much GW meant to him and his development as a player. It's a shame they lost his connection and he only got another 3-5 mintes at the tail end of the show. I felt like Johnny had some more questions for GV and Gary about their relationship and Gary's general demeanor with players.

It's great to hear that basketball alumni like GV keep in contact with current players to generate some sort of tradition at Maryland. That's the kind of thing that elite basketball programs have--current NBA players interacting with current Terps, and a good reason to be optimistic about the prospects of Maryland basketball over the next few years.

Posted by: Russtinator | December 3, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Just for the record to add to the discussion - NC State averaged about 56k per home game. We averaged about 43k per home game (and that figure includes the 70k for the Navy game in Baltimore, which I'm not sure counts as a home game but I'd imagine we would push to be considered as one).

Posted by: caphillterp | December 3, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Take out the Navy game and we averaged 38.5k.

Posted by: caphillterp | December 3, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

If Maryland fans are so apathetic that other bowls wouldn't want them - and home attendance so bad - why would anyone think this fanbase would be fired up to go see them play East Carolina in RFK.

Which really leads to the follow-up -- if the Military Bowl is counting on getting an extremely disappointed Maryland fanbase to sell tickets and move the needle -- how bad of an idea is the Military bowl.

Posted by: dlgood | December 3, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlgood | December 3, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I would not go to the Military Bowl. Not because I don't want to support the Terps, but I would not want to support this corrupt bowl system and the notion of a bowl game at RFK (almost as ridiculous as the one in Boise). It would be like a US Soccer fan buying tickets for the World Cup in Qatar.

Posted by: Russtinator | December 3, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Average attendance is not always the right indicator. A lot of people will go to a local college game, but travelling usually involves the hardcore fans. There is NO chance that NC St would have 50K+ travelling.

Posted by: shanks1 | December 3, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Please,EP, no more Insider reports about bowls until the decision on Sunday for MD to play in Orlando!

HGR and Terpfan - I moved in to my freshman dorm (Scumberland) late that year and missed getting my student ticket for that game (I was so mad!) I remember going over to Cole to watch on the big screen they had set up for the overflow crowd.
I believe it was J.D. Maarleveled pictured on that Sport mag cover.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | December 3, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

What you say might be true, but if so it's crappy on several levels and a sign that they current bowl system is broken.

Maryland beat a good NC State team. Beat them soundly and squarely. To have that team jump over us in the bowl picture, especially when we have traditionally traveled much better than NC State fans, is a mockery of the system.

Maryland fans showed up in mass at the 2002 Kick Off Classic against Notre Dame, as they did last Saturday against NC State. The few NC State fans who were there left early, almost all of them had left the stadium midway through the 3rd quarter. Virtually none of them were even in the parking lot when their team recovered the onside kick.

The RFK bowl simply shouldn't exist. Personally, I would hope Maryland would pass on it. It would just be an insult to a fine season, and a further example of how broken the current bowl system is.

Congrats to Friedgen for his ACC Coach of the Year award, and Danny O'Brien for being named Rookie of the Year.

Posted by: steven09 | December 3, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Hey mydog -

I think you are correct - that was the FIRST time we needed to get tix to a FB game - prior to that it was Student ID + Registration. PSU fans were down in full force so I think it had more to do with keeping them out without paying.

for perspective on how times have changed, I had a fifth of jack Daniels in my sock that security found outside the stadium. I was not quite 21. Did they confiscate it, arrest me or at least pour it out? Nope.

they never asked for an id. The POLICE let me take it back to my car (to bake in there, i guess) but instead I gave it to a female friend who snuck up in her purse. I remember the wait for cokes in the stadium was never-ending and an especially brutal cup fight broke out where a girl was carried out in a stretcher for a huge gash across her forehead.

It was JDM on the Sports magazine cover (we were ranked 2nd and 3rd in other polls) along with another Terp (I HAD the magazine; I assume I still have it along with all the WaPos and SIs from the Skins SB win). Someone has to name the other Terp on that cover.

At that game, I was sitting near Lesley Brown (THE MOST SUCCESSFUL TERP ALUM OF THE ERA until Plank came up with Under Armour) who was bursting out of her tank top.

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Maryland's low attendance this year was do to several factors. The biggest being last year's 2-10 showing. That was just miserable.

This year's home schedule was also the worst I can remember. There were only two, some would argue three, decent games, Navy and FSU. Normally I would have included the NC State game, but over Thanksgiving weekend, when there were no students and many others were out-of-town, and on the heels of a deflating loss to FSU, it was a respectable crowd.

Maryland also has to compete with two pro football teams within 30 miles of Byrd. There are no pro teams in the Raleigh area. This is one reason that Maryland fans travel better than they show at the stadium. It is slanted against us when bowl committees look at the attendance figures, but seriously, how many Maryland alumni have either Redskin or Ravens season tickets? The answer is an enormous number. Tens of thousands.

NC State was soundly defeated on the field. The game was over midway through the third quarter and the NC State fans knew it, and showed they knew it buy marching out in droves.

The fact that NC State would now seemingly go to the Champs Bowl before Maryland makes a mockery of the system. So does the fact that Maryland would in turn fall so far as the RFK bowl. It's a pile of crap. Plain and simple.

And, it gives fuel to the fire that maybe Maryland should think about joining the Big Ten. I have never supported that, but this certainly could be looked on as an argument for it.

Posted by: steven09 | December 3, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

The bowl system is a joke. The fact that we have to wait on NC State, even though we beat them a few days ago is absurd. Further proof of the exploitation of these kids for the sake of money.

Posted by: aviscardo | December 3, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Steven -

I disagree with passing on the invite if it is the best option we have. Before I said I wouldn't go....now I'm thinking "Why not?" I mean, if its not too cold that day…

As long as this f-ed up bowl system exists or until Obama threatens to hold up research funding until the NCAA gets it act together and starts a playoff, I think DC should benefit from it. Hell Baltimore too - "The McCormick Spices Charm City Bowl." Looking at some of the stats from Wednesday's brawl on this board - 35 bowl games is moronic. There aren't 35 teams in any of the major pro sports (not sure about hockey, but c'mon, its not REALLY a sport). It is like the entire NL, AL and Triple AAA system getting to play.

I may not have agreed with Bush's cap gains cuts, but I sure as hell took advantage of them (fiscal conservative disgusted by both sides and ambivalent on the socially divisive issues, and yes, I enjoy Obama's income tax cuts as well). So why shouldn't DC have a bowl and take advantage of the system while it still exists? No doubt that RFK is the most decrepit of local stadiums but it is also fairly accessible (to be fair, M&T + Camden Yards set a standard for accessibility). Nah, I definitely would NOT go to the game in the absence of the Terps. In a penny-wise manner, it likely is the best solution for the MD AD this season. But that is pound-foolish for the FB program in the short and long term; but not as pound-foolish as passing on a bowl altogether.

The main value for this team is WINNING their bowl game. The corollary to that is that others actually watch the Terps win the game. No one's watching anything on the Tuesday afternoon before Xmas unless they are huge fans. At best, we end up on ESPN highlights and quickly forgotten.

Regards –

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Hgr- Those Souvenir cup fights were EPIC in the student section back then. you could literlly throw them like a football! Lots of injuries and fights breaking out over them. The reason why you don't see Souvenir plastic cups at Byrd these days.
One night game stands out when a drunk dude a couple rows down from me filled up his empty cup with mustard, ketchup, and his urine and threw it...hitting a coed. That was harsh....and people think the YOU S%CK song is bad student behavior.

I used to pick up 10 or so on the way out of the stadium to have in my dorm room for the keg parties. Times have changed for sure..especially after 6/19/86.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | December 3, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Relax people. Prisbell doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to the bowls, Friedgen has already ruled out the Military Bowl so please stop worrying. If we don't get the Champs Sports bowl we will get another one out of this area.

I did find it interesting that Prisbell wrote earlier in the week that if Notre Dame is the opponent, the Champs Sports folks won't be that concerned about whether the ACC team travels well because Notre Dame will fill the stadium. Interesting he didn't mention that in this piece. Wonder why.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Just to tie up a loose end, I am holding that Sport mag righ now and on the cover are JD Maarleveld and Rick Badanjek. What a crushing loss tha was. If I remember correctly, it was so hot you were allowed to leave Byrd and be hosed down with water in the open area where the alumni center is now.

Posted by: fellowfan | December 3, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

MyDog -

I recall seeing an immense brawl during and after one of the cupfights between Theta Chi and Sigma Chi at a game when I was still in high school. I mean like one of those never-ending brawls where as many people are running towards it as are running away. Epic is an understatement. I wonder if there is a video on youtube that captures the mayhem.

And woe, woe, woe to the random hottie who got plucked up and was forced to bodysurf her way up the stands in the days before it was called bodysurfing. I remember seeing girls CRYING for their boyfriends - I recall someone telling me it was what was done to little sisters 9and pledges of fraternities as a rule. I guess they still do that in the student section, but there seems to be a degree of complicity from the victims. back in the day, you saw girls screaming their way up the stands. The pledges seemed to take it like men.

No wonder the kids riot and burn couches. I think I am beginning to get it. General lack of mayhem means someone's got to manufacture it.

I remember my older friends telling me that if I was going to sit in the student section, I had better sit near the top to get a better view of the mayhem rather than be in the middle of it. And they were right - it was easier to throw cups down the stands than back up.

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Fellowfan -

Was it really Badanjek? Thank god it wasn't Alvin Blount!!!! Yeah, I remember getting hosed down a few times that game - and watching Lesley Brown get hosed down at least once (a buddy of mine took pix). Actually, watching the hose downs was better than the 1984 Button wet t-shirt contest in Ft. Lauderdale (other than fat guys might be blocking your way...I remember yelling at them to move). We were sitting in the highest rows of the student section so we could turn around and watch the hosedowns when it made sense to. That was one nasty, nasty hot day.

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

FACT: We will be bowling in Nashville or Orlando.

FACT: We will not be playing in the Military Bowl. No need to worry about this anymore. Pay no attention to the Prisbell behind the curtain.

Hakuna Matata my friends.

Aim your sights south.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 3, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

And keep the stories coming Hugh. I seriously can't get enough of them.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 3, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

TerpsfanMA - right on with your comments. Win it on the field instead of begging bowl officials. Bottom line - Terps were 2-10 last year, are 8-4 this year - no respect yet from anyone other than us loyal UMD fans and alumni/students. Same thing happended to Gary's team at UMD before they put some good seasons together. So whatever bowl we get, it is better than last year, and we can build on that for next year. We are excited about this young team and especially O'Brien at QB. One other consideration, with a 1.6B State deficit, and a new AD at Maryland, the decision for Maryland is in the hands of the bowl people and the AD. A lot cheaper to take a bus to DC (and stay in the team dorms) than to travel. As far as this young blogger - Prisbell - he needs to work harder on getting data out instead of just opinions.

Posted by: bfjam | December 3, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Well speaking of "traveling well"...

N.C. State, chance to win their division and play for the conference championship. Holiday weekend. Plenty of seats available in a road venue that's a five hour bus ride each way. A 3:30 pm kickoff, which is very favorable for day-bus trip.

And yet their sections of Byrd were the emptiest of the bunch. They didn't even come close to selling half of their allotment for the Maryland game and about a quarter of what they did bring was their marching band.

But Bowl execs think they'll bring 20K+ to what amounts to a meaningless weeknight game in the height of the holiday season?

Posted by: CapsNut | December 3, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

TFMA and MyDog -

Please tell me you remember King Tom and the Monarchist Party. Please, please. please. Of all of the off the wall crap that happened during my time at MD nothing approaches Walter Cronkite talking about KING F_ING TOM on the CBS National News.

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

TFMA and MyDog -

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Prisbell, your shortsightedness continues to amaze me. Frankly, you stink at analysis and you write like you just started following Maryland football this season.

Why Maryland attendance suffered this year:

1. We went 2-10 last year.

2. The home schedule was garbage this year. I'll pass on Florida International, Duke and Morgan State, thanks.

3. Dillusionment with Ralph Friedgen. Nobody could have predicted the turnaround this season, and even so, his questionable coaching decisions in the Miami and FSU decisions lost those games. A majority of fans still would probably want James Franklin gone. Our highlight in the 2003 season has been the 2006 Champs Sports Bowl. Enough said.

I'm so sick of hearing about attendance. The media loves to talk about schools that supposedly travel. Everytime I see a Clemson game on TV in Death Valley, the upper level is 20% empty. So dont give me that bs.

Without a doubt, Maryland carries more of a national presence than NC State, and is a more appealing opponent for Notre Dame. That should be the deciding factor.

Posted by: ams1986 | December 3, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

"TerpsfanMA - right on with your comments. Win it on the field instead of begging bowl officials."

This is a pretty silly comment. Even some of the best teams in the country find themselves in a position where they are arguing their case to a particular bowl committee. The Terps lobbying for the Citrus Bowl is no different than TCU, Ohio State, Standford etc lobbying for the BCS title game. Md lobbying is no different than NC STate doing the very same thing--the only difference is we DID win it on the field, they didn't.

When you have an open forum like the Terrapin Insider blog, you're going to have a lot of people making silly comments, but the one about "win it on the field instead of begging bowl officials" is one of the more asinine comments you'll find on here. It's right up there with TerpfanMA's clueless comment blaming MD officials for announcing the kickoff times just 7-12 days in advance, Poopy_McPoop's clueless belief that there is just one pre-season poll, and Petecard contradicting himself on a daily basis.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Hgr - Of course... I voted for him! I'm still waiting for him to fulfill his promise of building a beer filled mote around campus.

Beginning of my Soph year, and the first semester after the Bias tragedy, Nightline decided to do their show on Campus in order to discuss partying. They followed/filmed one of my buddies in the dorm to track the life of an ordinary college student(he became known to us as "Hollywood" after that week). The funniest was when the cameras were rolling and they followed "Hollywood" into another guy's dorm room where this dude was relaxing on a hammock he had rigged into the wall while drinking a beer. I think that scene ended up on the cutting room floor.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | December 3, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Still not sure why the Redskins cut Badanjek.

I must say, CBS is sticking with us....

Posted by: steven09 | December 3, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Found this whole wikipedia entry pretty funny regarding the Monarch Party (and Maryland's version)

Posted by: fushezzi | December 3, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if it's possible to get "away ticket sales" figures. How many tickets does NCST sell through its ticket office to traveling NCST fans for away games? How many tickets does MD sell for away games? That seems a fairly apple-to-apple comparison. Usually season ticket holders get first chance to buy, so even that shows a level of intensity for support. Are you season ticket holders buying the away game tickets?

Not that ticket sales matter anyway. Why does Prisbell keep bringing it up? I asked him to pose 4 questions to unnamed bowl sources about what traveling well means. So far, he hasn't reported anything. He just keeps toting the bowl organizer line.

The match ups, which draw TV ratings to secure future contracts, matter. Attendance doesn't. I can't believe the bowl people would actually believe the spin they give to media, but maybe they do. Maybe the bowl guys actually really do believe that the bowls need ticket sales (even though they mandate school purchases anyway). Maybe they do believe the economic activity argument. Maybe that's why Prisbell keeps reporting their trite statements.

NCST hasn't done squat on the national scene in any sport in how many years? I, too, think MD has a larger national presence. I think MD-Notre Dame is a far more attractive game.

No worries...next year when MD has a good season, we'll hear about how well MD fans travel.

Posted by: WheelsRI | December 3, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Barny...you have got to be the most miserable piece of garbags on this board..your negativity, childish cut/pasting and little girly crybaby attitude really detracts from an otherwise normal discourse on the board....on top of it you have to resort to lying and misrepresentation to build yourself up into some sort of self important board stalking troll...case in point:

Win it on the field: I never suggested that other teams werent in the same position

Advance notice for game times: Never blamed MD, just listed it as a factor for lower tix sales

Did you remember to change your diaper today? Make sure the little turtles go on the outside

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

HGR...hmmm..cant say that I recall the Monarchist party, but I was at the Button in 84.....still have many memories of UMD vs Rhode Island in the college games...the "almost" anything goes contest, the erotic banana eating contest and the wet tshirt contests.....we were there when UMD and Len Bias won the ACC tourney vs Duke! What a great day that was!

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 3, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Mydog - my recap of letters between the MD SGA and the City of College Park (zoning commission?)that were republished in the D-back:

City of CP: We are writing to inform you that we utterly reject your repeated applications to build a moat filled with beer around the U of MD. Please do not waste our time any more with this issue. It is unproductive and not funny.

King Tom (in his official response): F-ck Off. It is too funny.
------------
I know I have the reply from Tom down verbatim as we still use that line. He made the Diamondback worth reading, and a ton of his antics were in the WaPo. The whole lot of them (the Monarchists) were a riot. It really was a shame when it all ended in disgrace...

------------

That nightline piece was too funny, I had forgot about it. I remember watching it in a Leonardtown dorm as if it were a game. Every weekend, thugs were whacking each other and bystanders at Go-Go concerts in DC, and they come to CP to expose the hard partying culture? After the age was 21? They were about two years too late.

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fushezzi | December 3, 2010 1:42 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now how do I get wikipedia to list the MD Monarchists first?

I do recall King Tom and Co. handling the Bias tragedy very, very well when dealing with Media. I saw him before he was being interviewed and remember him talking about being serious and talking about the sadness openly.

In our darkest hour, we needed to be able to turn to our king to guide us...I guess.

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Support Terps going to the Champ Sports Bowl by calling 407-423-2476 and ask them to select the Terps! This is the direct number to the Champ Sports Bowl

Posted by: amf07 | December 3, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amf07 | December 3, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

amf07

I actually called them today and first asked for Chuck Beverly. They said they do not accept calls for Beverly so I said I was Ralph Friedgen and I wanted an answer today regarding the Bowl. They did not find that funny. Nor did they find it funny when I called back 15 mintues later as Kevin Anderson.

People in Orlando be takin' this sh8t seriously!

Posted by: fushezzi | December 3, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

All I said was that I'm an Alum and support the team and will buy tickets if they select the Terps... they did take that seriously!

Posted by: amf07 | December 3, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this Monarchy Party stuff is amazing. If you have not gone to the link fushezzi provided, I suggest you do. I was just a kid in the 80's but the cup fights were the best. Me and my brother used to watch them through binoculars the entire game from the alumni section. In short, you guys were cooler than us.

Posted by: aviscardo | December 3, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"you have got to be the most miserable piece of garbags on this board..your negativity, childish cut/pasting and little girly crybaby attitude really detracts from an otherwise normal discourse on the board"- TerpHaterMA

'MATURE' DISCOURSE FROM TerpfanMA:

--------------

the coach at Navy would kick the pants out of any team Fatty could put on the field

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 1, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Danny! Be careful becasue that 400lb oaf will be looking for any excuse to go back to Robinson.

Posted by: TerpfanMA | September 27, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

how does that make fridge COY over the 1st yr coach who is taking his team to the championship? ooops I think you dribbled some koolaid on your shirt...make sure your mommy uses bleach to get it out

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 29, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

minnie...you are the idiot! maybe when you get to UMD they will have a remedial class for you....jeez what a bozo

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 29, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Beat it Geek!

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 29, 2010 6:20 PM

you are the little girl on her period

Posted by: TerpfanMA | November 30, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Fridge is disgusting...he is a 400lb disgrace...UMD is barely a competitive Div1 program.

Posted by: TerpfanMA | September 24, 2010 9:56 PM

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"on top of it you have to resort to lying and misrepresentation" -TerpfanMA

When did I "lie"? When did I "misrepresent"? I simply quote your comments warmly and accurately. Don't be mad at me just because you look like an idiot for saying 'MD is barely a competitive D1 program.' 8 wins with a good shot at a 9th win and a top 25 ranking at season's end...yeah, we sure look like we're "barely" competitive. Hahaha

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Fushezzi,Barmo, Aviscardo, DtD -

No wikipedia on Lesley Brown. Please tell me that some of the younger guys have heard of her.

Another weird MD thing from the 1980s...but you can't argue with success I guess.

Regards -

Posted by: HughGRection | December 3, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Hugh,

I googled her when you posted about her and couldn't find anything. I know nothing about her except she allegedly has huge cans (per your post). Any pictures or anecdotes would be appreciated.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 3, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Good point, I fully agree.
with this post:

Posted by: zenaf88 | December 3, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Good point, I fully agree.
with this post:

Posted by: zenaf88 | December 3, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Good point, I fully agree.
with this post:

Posted by: zenaf88 | December 3, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

For all the hot air on this board, we should have a running tally of the regulars as well as any others wishing to participate.

I would love to see a running tally of who is going to the bowl game if the Terps get into a. the Champs Bowl; b. The Military Bowl; and c. The Music City Bowl.

I will be at Champs or Military. All of you - put up or shut up...

PS - And we DO travel well - see 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006 and 2007 bowl games... the case against the Terps is media inflammation of this season's attendance - those fans that should be filling up the rest of the stadium won't be traveling anyway...

Posted by: terptek | December 3, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse