Posted at 7:48 PM ET, 12/22/2010

Danny O'Brien: 'I came to graduate from the University of Maryland'

By Steve Yanda

In the wake of Maryland's announcement that Coach Ralph Friedgen would be fired following the Terrapins' Dec. 29 appearance in the Military Bowl, there was some speculation that redshirt freshman quarterback Danny O'Brien might request a release to transfer to another school.

On Wednesday, O'Brien -- who earned ACC Rookie of the Year honors this season -- laughed when asked if he planned to be at Maryland in the future.

"Yeah, definitely," O'Brien said. "I don’t know where it really came from. It was shocking (to hear the speculation he might transfer). I came to graduate from the university of Maryland. I’m proud to be a Terp. I bleed red."

O'Brien started nine games during the regular season and threw for 2,257 yards, 21 touchdowns and six interceptions. He completed 56.8 percent of his passes and played an instrumental role in helping Maryland go 8-4 one season after finishing 2-10.

By Steve Yanda  | December 22, 2010; 7:48 PM ET
Categories:  Danny O'Brien, Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Randy Eaton to lead search committee for next football coach
Next: Ralph Friedgen expects to have full staff of assistants at Military Bowl

Comments

This is our guy! Do you think he would mind playing for Mike Leach? I don't think so. So much for the doomsday naysayers. I would be surprised if Anderson didn't have a read on him and other key members of the team.

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Before all is said and done, DOB will take his rightful place on the Mt. Rushmore of Terp QBs:

Manges, Esiason, Reich, Hill and McBrien.

Which D1 QB in his right mind WOULDN'T want to play for the Pirate?!?!?

Posted by: MerlinTerps | December 22, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

AND Scarbath!

Posted by: MerlinTerps | December 22, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure how a qb should view the prospect of a Leach offense. It's good for stats, but it's not a pro offense. D1scourse.com did a nice run down of the pro careers of Leach qbs -- it's not pretty. O'Brien's strength seems to be ability to read defenses... not sure if the Leach offense helps develop this further.

Posted by: mcmelton | December 22, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Hit return too soon... my point being you have to weigh the potential for big stats vs. the potential that the offense doesn't increase your pro prospects.

Posted by: mcmelton | December 22, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

That's good.

Still, Leach isn't really the water-walker some are making him out to be.

Posted by: Benson | December 22, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

"I bleed red." Gotta love that.

Leach at the helm certainly won't HURT DOB's pro prospects.

Posted by: caphillterp | December 22, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Classy comments from O'Brien, and ones that meet Anderson's criteria for Leach, too. Namely, I'm here because here is where I want to be - not because I don't have anywhere else to go.

All Terps bleed red . . . white, black and gold!

Posted by: RITerp | December 22, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Bless his heart, Danny is showing a whole lot more class and character than most of the so-called authorities involved in this mess. I'd rather have him than the vaunted 4-star recruits out there.

Posted by: terpalleycat | December 22, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

best.news.of.the.week.bar.none.

Lets hope he feels that way in Jan-11.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 22, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

...and here's to hoping he's on the 5 year plan or 4.5 year plan to graduate so we get to keep him for three more years.

I really don't care as much about his pro prospects, I care far more about what he does while at MD. Unless of course, he elevates the Skins from their (and mediocre is not a harsh enough description) malaise to lead them to the SB.

Nice beating delivered by the BB team this evening against NJIT. I heard Lincoln Tech and Capital College will be on the schedule soon. Gotta hand it to NJIT, some of their kids were still trying to compete until the end while receiving the beating.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 22, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Merlin (and board)

Isn't Milanovich in the pantheon of MD QBs? He owns a ton of the records but never seems to get any love from the alums because he played on losing teams. I have to admit that one of my hopes is that DOB breaks each one of his records so I don't have to see Milanovich listed as the first QB listed in our record books. Kinda like the sweetness of Juan passing Bias on the way to the NC.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 22, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Kinda like the sweetness of Juan passing Bias on the way to the NC.
----------------

Hugh - did you just indirectly compare Milanovich to Len Bias? C'mon!

And I have to disagree Hugh. I saw no sweetness in Juan passing Bias. Bias was an idol of mine (I was an impressionable 7-9 yrs old during his time at UMD) and I still view him as I did thru my eyes back then (UMD leader and dominant specimen) instead of the view I see now -- which is of an overdosed lesson learned.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 23, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

HGR,
Milanovich, no. Sandwisch-yes.

;-)

Posted by: MerlinTerps | December 23, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Hgr- You forgot to include Brian Cummings!...just kidding, but when he started out 4-0 in his career I thought we may have found a diamond in the rough.

I disagree on Juan passing Bias also. Lenny is my all-time favorite Terp with Juan #2. My prior dog's name was Bias!

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | December 23, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

DOB is coming back? "I bleed red", thats what I like to hear. Good way to start off the holidays for Terps fans. They should let the kid call plays if the game gets out of hand, let him just air it our like McBrien did against WVU in the Gator bowl.

Dixon, Bias, Elmore, Vasquez