Posted at 7:50 AM ET, 12/ 6/2010

For Maryland, the morning after a memorable ACC bowl selection Sunday

By Eric Prisbell

So, how does everyone feel the morning after? I mean that sincerely. Folks took yesterday pretty hard. I saw it in the comments I skimmed. I read it in the e-mails I scrolled through while at stoplights late last night. I heard it in Ralph Friedgen’s voice when he twice yesterday said, “It is what it is.” Again, no offense to the Military Bowl – a fine bowl that has an intriguing matchup Dec. 29 --- but free-falling to the eighth spot was a stern slap in the face to Maryland fans and players.

It’s almost as if a lot of people didn’t want to believe it – or still won’t believe it, not until the Terrapins run out on that field on a balmy 20-degree late-December afternoon in a few weeks. I want to acknowledge many of the e-mails I have received from those apologizing for calling me Satan and Lucifer earlier in the week. I appreciate it. For weeks, everything pointed to the Military Bowl. Yes, the series of events – Maryland’s win, Clemson’s loss, Randy Shannon’s firing – clouded the picture and heightened uncertainty for a few days, but it was quickly apparent that it was not the game-changer Maryland needed. There was really very, very little chance of this going any other way from Thursday on.

Most people I was talking to privately, from all sides and from various bowls, said the Champs Sports Bowl was likely to take N.C. State regardless of whether Notre Dame was the opponent or not. I never got the feeling the Sun Bowl even recognized that Maryland had a football program because they maintained laser focus – and understandably so – on a potential Miami-Notre Dame (Convicts-Catholics the Next Generation) blockbuster. Late Saturday night, when Connecticut beat South Florida with that late, long field goal, it cleared the way for WVU to Champs and ND to El Paso, Texas. I immediately thought of John Folmer, the Sun Bowl chairman, who must have been the happiest man in America. Further down in the pecking order, there was no way Will Webb was not going to take Clemson, which had never played in Charlotte’s Car Care Bowl. And when reports trickled out of Clemson late one night that Webb had indeed nabbed Clemson, that was another indication that N.C. State was going to be off the board when Charlotte selected. The strong sense I got from talking to Scott Ramsey of the Music City Bowl was that a well-traveling fan base was the No. 1 factor for them because they wanted the most amount of people in Nashville – as well as in the stadium --- which unfortunately all but nixed Maryland’s hopes of going to the coolest city among the non-D.C. ACC bowl destinations (not counting South Beach).

The truth that has set in among many Maryland fans: The images of the Byrd Stadium crowd during that N.C. State game far outweighed anything that happened on the field during the game. How little game outcomes matter at times in college football is something people eventually come to grips with – many fans are telling me this in not-so-nice ways. Some livid fans are pointing out the following quote. Steve Hogan, the CEO of Florida Citrus Sports, which runs the Champs Sports Bowl, told N.C. State beat writer Ken Tysiac last night: "We just want to reward a team that deserves to be here, and they (N.C. State) definitely deserve to be here.”

Some may counter that with this: Maryland 38, N.C. State 31

We’re not going to focus on this for eternity. There is a game to be played, and a good one. I’m telling you, I’m putting the over-under on points at RFK at 90. ECU’s going to give them up freely, but ECU’s going to score some pretty freely, as well. This is be an entertaining game.

But if you’ve got strong feelings about yesterday’s announcement, if you’re mad at the school, the ACC, the bowl executives, the fans – whomever – send me an e-mail. I appreciate reading different perspectives on this issue. If you’re definitely going to the game or refuse to in light of this slight, I’d love to hear from you, as well. Vent, rage, lecture, curse – whatever you want to do.

prisbelle@washpost.com

By Eric Prisbell  | December 6, 2010; 7:50 AM ET
Categories:  Football, Ralph Friedgen
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: It's official: Maryland will play East Carolina in the Military Bowl (UPDATED)
Next: Terps Freshmen Make Case for Minutes as Starters Sputter

Comments

I've said it before, but this will only be a bowl game for ECU, not Maryland.. They get to travel to DC, perhaps for some, the very first time.. They can see all the sights..Do all the things fans do when you travel to a bowl game.. Terp fans, we'll just get in our car, and drive another 10 miles down the BW Parkway on game day.. Period!!!!Really feel bad for the Terp players.. What an experience this will be for them...The truly sad thing is this, don't be surprised if there are more ECU fans in RFK than Terp fans.. No one would go to Byrd this year except for one game, they surely won't head to RFK..I'll be there, haven't been to RFK since the Dips. GO TERPS !!!!

Posted by: frostanna | December 6, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Eric do a three part series on college bowl system and HOW corrupt it is!

#1 It's not about the kids its about the money

#2 There can be a playoff system, but then these bowls would lose money "GOOD"

#3 Since when does coach of the year and rookie of the year go to the last place bowl?

#4 When mega conferences happen, I hope the ACC and Big East are blown up. UConn in BCS and VT after losing to JMU and BOise show how much a joke those conferences are now.

Posted by: khornbeak | December 6, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Is the the second year of the Military Bowl? Turn back the clock to 2008 and ask if the Terps would have been left out of a bowl altogether. I doubt it. It's a free country, but there are just too many bowl games.

The seniors deserve a much better bowl, after finishing third in the ACC. The N.C. State game attendance was probably the nail in the coffin on falling to the 8th spot. However, ACC by-laws and tv policy of waiting until the last minute on scheduling times is a big problem. Throw in thanksgiving weekend, windy and cold weather, a bad economy, a 2-10 record last year, and a perception that ACC football is in a down cycle, and that explains the lack of attendance.

That said, let's look at the glass as being half full. The school will make money, and that is a very good thing. Let's make the most of this, stop whining and win big at RFK. Terp football is back and this is just a stepping stone.

Posted by: stevestegman | December 6, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

It's too bad for Ralph and this team, but there are a lot of questions (fan travel to site etc) about Maryland and they have brought it on themselves.

Hopefully next year will be different.

Posted by: tojo45 | December 6, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

The NCAA is slowly turning into FIFA which also had controversial and mind-boggling outcomes this week when England and the US were denied bids when they were the favorites and most logical. I would never want MD to pay someone to go to a bowl game but if they're contending that they won't have enough fans down there, I'd like to know how many WVU fans plan on making it down there in this economy when DC is one of the better or top economic areas and would have a better chance of travelling down there and considering FL is ACC country now. Mind you there are 19000 season tickets sold this year so if half of those people go, that is close to the 10K number. I don't consider WVU to be in our market though there are some people that commute to DC metro area and live out there.

With the bowls complaining about the money, it would make complete sense to have a playoff system since it seems like most teams are losing money or breaking even with these little bowls that no one really cares about. It's time to shut the bowls out and not give them such an upper hand which, this process that just unfolded in front of everyone's eyes, was completely exposed and showed it has if not as many, possibly more flaws than the BCS. If they don;t want home field advantages, I'm sure some of the NFL owners won't mind having their stadiums used in regional efforts in a playoff system evidence of Dan Snyder having a college game or two at his stadium each year and Jerry Jones basically doing the same. and if they don't want someone to have home field, it eliminates that question slightly being that the tickets sales will be split or not allowed to go over half unless one fan base decides not to show up.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | December 6, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

What a rough Sunday!...Terps BBall lose in a hard to watch game, Ravens lose an important rival game, and then capped off by an undeserving 8th place bowl selection.

I'll be at RFK wearing the Red, but I'm not going to buy my 4 seats through the Terrapin Club. I'm only middle pack in the terpoint order and my seats at past Bowls have not been worth the price. I hope Maryland officials can use photo evidence of red clad fans rather than showing how many tickets the school sold as proof of fan support. I have a feeling many fans like myself will be purchasing tix through other avenues rather than thru the school and it's 10K allotment.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | December 6, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

At the very least, everyone should boycott Champs Sports stores. A picket line would be nice, too, but a boycott should be the bare minimum.

Posted by: steesy | December 6, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm not shocked at all by this decision. I think many fans were wishful thinking about going to the Champs Bowl. I'm very disappointed too, however. To go from 2-10, to 8-4. To overcome all the injuries...They were in every game they lost this year (besides maybe Clemson and WVU...even though they showed fight in WVU). It's unfair. The NCAA makes so much money off these kids. I understand it's a business, and money needs to be made. But sometimes it really sucks for these kids. Those Terps deserved more than the Military Bowl, especially for those Seniors. Hopefully this will light a fire with them that will carry into next season.

Posted by: cunnia05 | December 6, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

To include the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl,I have attended every Maryland bowl game since 1989, save the Boise bowl. I will be there in RFK on a cold December Wednesday to support the team again this year.

Yes, I am disappointed they are not going to a warmer climate. Yes, I have a hard time accepting that they got screwed by the ACC, the bowl selection committees, and the unfair money based bowl selection process. The reality is that this is a young team with great potential with a talented QB coming back with three years of eligibility. College football has always been all about the money and the Maryland football program will never be the draw that so many other schools are for so many reasons that have been oft regurgitated here.

This one bowl game will not alter my allegiance to this football program and I will continue to be a Terrapin Club member and a loyal season ticket holder. Ralph got it right. It is what it is. Go Terps, Beat ECU!

Posted by: sdsteve1 | December 6, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

"a fine bowl that has an intriguing matchup Dec. 29 --- but free-falling to the eighth spot was a stern slap in the face to Maryland fans and players."

I disagree that this is a fine bowl. It is not. I agree that it is a slap in the face to the players.

Posted by: SirPelleas | December 6, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Well, that performance against Temple last night was pretty hard to watch, but it played out the way Temple’s games have gone all year. They have now won 5 of 7 games and only one game had the winner scoring more than 65 points. Last night it was 64. We can point to several factors in the loss, but in the end the key was the poor and lethargic play of 4 of our 5 starters. It would be easy to rip our free throw shooting, as JW was once again below 50% at 3 of 7, but it was more than that. Overall both teams shot poorly in every respect, especially behind the arch and at the FT line. Temple was actually worse in both categories. But they killed us on the boards and they had 13 steals.
I am not for wholesale changes in the starting line-up. I still want Mosley in there. In fact the only change I would make right now is to replace Bowie with Stogs. I would keep the rest of the rotation in tact. But where does last night leave us. We are essentially in the same place as we were last year. The record and patterns are almost identical. Last year we made an incredible run in the ACC regular season. I don’t know if that is in the cards this year. Who is going to step up? Who will catch fire? Who will be the catalyst? Let’s hope that GW can find the answers.

Posted by: petecard | December 6, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Open up the Comcast Center and sell tickets to watch the game in there. The school keeps the money, we support our team but sends the appropriate message of how disappointed we are.

Posted by: kenny20 | December 6, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Pissed as well, but I will be there.
Fans, do not boycott this game. You only hurt the players, team and program.
If you don't like the idea of watching football in freezing weather at RFK then you should turn in your man card right now.
I am starting my bowl day at 9 am with a poker tournament in my Capitol Hill Home, then about 8 of my buddies (who by the way have no association with UMD and will be going to the game) will drink 3 handles of Jim Beam and walk down East Capitol to the game. Sounds like a fine afternoon to me!
GO TERPS!

Posted by: FandBops | December 6, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: steesy | December 6, 2010 9:16 AM |

Who wears that crap anyway?

Posted by: SirPelleas | December 6, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

It is what it is. Terp fan don't show up much less travel to road games. I guess there are too many shopping centers in the DC area.

Posted by: boyn4884 | December 6, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Regardless of the happy talk, do the folks from Military Bowl understand exactly how unethused Maryland fans are for this game?

This is basically the bowl of last resort and almost no one is happy to play here. It's in town, so fans will go, but only grudgingly. Would the bowl make any money at all if it doesn't get the Terps or ECU? In which case, how long do you think this bowl lasts?

Posted by: dlgood | December 6, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Liz Clarke? Hello...HELLO! Can you hear me now? Is this thing working? Is there going to be a blog for UMD basketball?

Posted by: erniegogo | December 6, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Just saw the basketball post. I take back my previous mini rant.

Posted by: erniegogo | December 6, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for this team, especially the seniors, they deserved so much better for all their effort.

Morning after, here's what I want:

Terps pound ECU a la Morgan State, Wake, etc.

NC State beats West Virginia

Terps beat Notre Dame next year

Posted by: RITerp | December 6, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE LET IT GO ERIC!!! You have beaten this story to death. You were right, we got it. We don't want to hear any more about the Military bowl. Stop fanning the flames. It is not a "fine bowl" it is literally the worst bowl in the country.

"There is a game to be played, and a good one." BS - there is no upside to playing ECU.

Posted by: ebitda | December 6, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

No matter what, in my eyes and many others, Maryland is and will always be a basketball school. Of course we should stay in the ACC. Can you imagine a world, not playing Duke and UVA twice a year?

Posted by: mkbf26 | December 6, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

$55 and $90 is so absurd for this game. Should be more like $20 and $40. I'll wait for an inevitable Groupon or Living Social deal later this month. Already booked the afternoon off, so I'll find my way to RFK somehow.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 6, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I seriously think UMD beating Miami and finishing 9-3 would have still gotten them to the Military Bowl.

I dont see how the players get amped up for this game. This feels like the NIT.

Posted by: LargoD85 | December 6, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

As a loyal Md alumni, mother of Md alumni, and students, Terp Club member, MGN, and season ticket holder, we will support the Bowl. We will only be purchasing 1 or 2 tickets instead of our usual 6. It has messed up our vacation plans. We will be going to the game, but we won't be supporting the vendors, so it won't be a boost for the local economy unless they charge the ECU fans double. I know the hotels and restaurants aren't happy with only one set of fans needing their services. I like your odds of 90 to nothing, maybe we could have a record and score over 100 points. Can't we move the game to Fed Ex or even Byrd. It is disgusting to be playing in a run-down stadium.

Posted by: mdterpmom | December 6, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I hope the Champs Bowl draws less than the 40K who watched MD pummel Purdon't a few years ago. MD will sell out its 10K ticket allotment because regardless of what the bowls believe, MD has a dedicated fan base. I plan to attend and even buy the tickets through MD's ticket office (e.g., get raped). It's such b.s., though. By extorting the fans and degrading the team, the Military Bowl gets exactly what it wants. And MD's cost savings get passed onto the ACC to cover the costs of Miami losing money in El Paso. There's our contribution.

A 9-3 season next year will yield the same results. MD will get bumped down to the worse possible bowl so a team like Miami with a 30 year old reputation, a 7-5 team, and traveling fan base smaller than Wake Forest's can get into a better bowl. Sickening.

And mkbf26...MD had no hoops history until Lefty. In fact, MD had terrible basketball until then. MD had a football reputation through the mid-1980s. Jack Tatum won a National Championship, Jerry Claiborne took the Terps to many bowls, and Bobby Ross had MD regularly winning the ACC. So if you consider "MD always a basketball school", your "always" extends back 25 years.

Just because you feel MD has always been a basketball school doesn't make it so. Check out MD's football and basketball histories and tell me why you'd think MD is a basketball school like Kentucky or Kansas.

Posted by: WheelsRI | December 6, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

We reap what we sow…..images of no one in the stands at Byrd, students leaving at halftime, and a general lack of enthusiasm for Terps football is why we are in the Military Bowl….If we the fans want to see this turned around we need to show up, represent and be present at the games…..when an outsider looks at Maryland Football and their fans they see a basketball school with no real enthusiasm for football….the best thing we can do is show up at RFK and run East Carolina out of the Nation’s Capital…Go Terps!!!

Posted by: terps20715 | December 6, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LargoD85 | December 6, 2010 11:29 AM

If Maryland finished 9-3 (6-2) they would have lost the head-to-head with FSU for the division. But at 6-2 in conference then Miami, Clemson, GT and BC (all 4-4) could not have skipped ahead of them in the bowls - correct? Probably would have ended up in Charlotte.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 6, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Kids got screwed. That said, I will be in the parking lot at around 10AM tailgaiting. I will be standing next to Barno with a sign that reads
"Barno ----->" and will be running side bets about how long it takes for someone to take a swing. Go Terps!

Posted by: aviscardo | December 6, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Friedgen will fire this team up - they will play extremely hard. And they will have a ton of motivation going into the Spring and Summer practices. They will spin this into a positive - in purely football terms. Fridge will tell them to work their butts off from January til September to put themselves in position to win the ACC next season. No one will overlook them if they earn that.

Also, not going to a fun warm weather city will be crappy for the players. But don't assume that they'll be staying in the dorms or the Howard Johnson's on NY Ave. Steinberg did a nice piece on how well the players have been treated by the Military Bowl organizers. I believe the teams stay at The Mayflower, get to go to nice receptions and parties. The three hours of game time on the 29th will be cold and unglamorous, but the players will have fun the week before.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 6, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Im with Avis. I feel bad for the kids and I understand Fridge lobbying for a better game, but time to move on. Lets fill the stadium an watch a fun Terps W. I am genuinely looking forward to this game

Posted by: jpfterps | December 6, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Serious question to everyone: What exactly is the difference between a "run down" RFK and Fed Ex or Byrd stadium?

I've been to all 3 stadiums countless times, and while RFK is certainly older, I've never come out of there thinking gee, 'I need to go get deloused now.'

Seriously, what is the big difference? Are the yellow stripes in the parking lot not shiny enough for you? Are the cup holders on the seats not big enough? Do the little yellow lights on the scoreboard not work? Do the toilets not automatically flush when you are done peeing, and therefore you might have to actually touch the lever and wash your hands?

For the record, the Citrus Bowl--where the Champ Sports bowl is played--is as run down as any stadium I've ever been in, and is nearly 30 years older than RFK. Funny, I didn't hear anyone say "I refuse to go to the Orlando and watch the Terps because of that old and decrepit Citrus Bowl".

Memo to MD fans: We are not UVA. We are not Duke. We are not elitists. We don't have wine and cheese and caviar at our tailgates, we have beer and bourbon and brauts. We don't wear suits and ties to a football game, we don't sing 'We come from old Virginia, where all is bright and gay' at every game, we yell "hey you suck!" and "we're gonna beat the hell out of you, and you, and you, and you." We are Maryland. Let's stop pretending otherwise. Let's stop acting like spoiled snobs who need a State of the Art stadium with the finest of amenities in order to attend a bowl game.

See you all at Robert Francis Kennedy stadium on Dec. 29.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 6, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LargoD85 | December 6, 2010 11:29 AM

Posted by: Kev29 | December 6, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Yup. Charlotte would have had to take them, because all of the remaining bowl eligible ACC teams would have been 4-4 (2 games worse than a 6-2 Terps team). Just a terrible overall day for Maryland sports yesterday (Terps basketball, football, and Ravens). Hey, the women's team beat App. State!!

I know it's a business these bowls are running, but I'm sick of these phoney baloney bowl selection committees saying they got the "most deserving" team in their bowl. If they came out and said, we picked teams that are going to make us the most money, the sting wouldn't hurt so bad as when they say they picked teams based on merit. A team without a head coach, a team with an ongoing NCAA investigation, and a team that lost head-to-head all got picked before the Terps.

I'm with a lot of other here, and I'm not paying the prices the morons at the Military Bowl are charging for their tickets (along with the $20 Terrapin Ticket Office "processing fee"). I wholeheartedly support my school, but I'm not going to support a corrupt system as some type of round-about symbolic way by buying overpriced tickets for a terrible game in a decrepit stadium.

Posted by: Russtinator | December 6, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | December 6, 2010 12:22 PM

While I support your larger point, Barno... RFK is a completely dilapidated hell hole at present. Concrete falling from ceilings, seats falling apart, mice, rats, raccoons, power outages, not to mention trying to get something to eat or drink. After the Nats left (after putting a quick coat of paint on the place) it has really gone to the dogs (rats, mice, raccoons). I've been for soccer in the past couple years and it's depressing.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 6, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

My family and I have had season tickets since the Ron Vanderlinden days and have been lucky enough to go to the Orange, Chick Fil-A, Gator, and Champs Bowl. We missed the Humanitarian and Emerald Bowl because it was too much money. Bowl games are fun and MD fans traveled to each of those games! Yes they have been in a slump and yes no one was at the home games this year (trust me I saw it with my own eyes)but its terrible that politics and money get involved with these games. Plus if fans did not come to Byrd, then who is to say they will show up on a cold DC day? Another thing is the university is trying to make money off of this game by selling tickets for 55 or 90 per ticket for the game. No offense to ECU, but that game is not worth that amount. So if you go to ticketmaster you can get a 4 pack for 100 (with service charge)which is the way to go. I will be at the game (call me crazy), but not through the the university.

Posted by: leechri | December 6, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I know I sound like a broken record, but when your supposed hometown newspaper covers another major school over 250 miles away as a "local" team, it's tough to get the recognition you deserve. I'm still trying to understand how VT is a "local" team. As I've often pointed out, Penn State is actually far closer to DC than VT.

Posted by: truke | December 6, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: truke | December 6, 2010 1:04 PM

Virginia Tech has an enormous student/parent/alumni base in counties that the Post serves (Fairfax, Arlington, Loudon, PW, etc). Also, Tech is the largest university in Virginia, a state that borders on DC - Pennsylvania does not border DC, neither does WV. Same applies to UVa, even though Charlottesville is a bit closer.

I'm no Tech fan either, but I think it's time to get over it.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 6, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Considering all the variables involved... 2-10 last year, empty stands this year, the 3 ring circus initiated by Debbie Yow's ineffective AD stewartship, it is not surprising that this played out as it did. The one true negative in going to the Military Bowl is that it does absolutely nothing in terms of future recruitment for the program. It actually may do more harm in that regard than anything else.

Posted by: profterp | December 6, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: aviscardo | December 6, 2010 11:56 AM

That sounds like fun...I will see you there

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 6, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

As a Maryland fan and alumnus, I am frankly embarrassed by the sense of self-entitlement shown by many so-called Terrapin fans through the comments on this thread. Yes, I'd have liked a better bowl than this, but it beats no bowl at all and beggars can't be choosers. Moreover, it's obvious football is still viewed as an afterthought by many Maryland fans, who seem more interested in protecting their precious basketball home-and-home with Duke than the array of athletic, academic and research advantages Big Ten Conference membership would provide. (I can understand the ACC being ahead of the Big Ten in the survey -- change is always dangerous, because it forces one to think -- but behind the Big East, a silly, low-revenue hybrid? Are you nuts?) While I hate to say it, perhaps that comment Maryland fans are so infamous for yelling should be directed back at them: You suck.

I simply don't think people here understand just how much more financially valuable football is to college athletics than basketball. Given how difficult recruiting has become for Ralph Friedgen since Virginia Tech -- a school with a genuine football culture -- entered the ACC, I think he's done a decent job. Anyone who thinks Rick Leach or another hotshot coach would come to College Park, given its recent tepid fan support, is deluding themselves.

Posted by: VPaterno | December 6, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Kev29 -

point of order - Tech is NOT the biggest school in Virginia. VCU is, by 5000 students. I am a Terp grad living in Richmond. Surrounded by enemies(VCU, VPI, UVA, Richmond, etc..). Tech is a three hour FARTHER DRIVE than State Penn. Tech is a legit 6 hours SW of DC.

Posted by: reindeerterp | December 6, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

VCU is the largest school in Virginia, not tech.

Posted by: reindeerterp | December 6, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: reindeerterp | December 6, 2010 1:42 PM

I knew someone might catch me on that! Forgot VCU is bigger.

And come on - unless you're stuck on 66 for an hour and a half (quite possible) or driving like a granny - Tech is 4.5 hours from DC (270 miles, 90 more than State College)

Posted by: Kev29 | December 6, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Lets be honest with ourselves here... yeah, we got "under-bowled" because of low attendance....but ticket sales are a direct result of the long term perception of the program...most objective folks will admit that MD football has been on/off for the last 7 years and the result has been lower tix sales/attendance...perceptions dont change overnight so while it might be true that the team finished strong, it will take a little while to see the effects in attendance...UMD can cap off a 9 win season vs ECU which will provide great momentum for 2011 with all the other pieces falling in place including a more exciting home schedule...I guarantee a nice uptick in season tix for 2011 and if Ralph can deliver another +good season its upward from there

In the meantime, the team, its coach and fans need to double down, get ready and approach this game with a no tears attitude

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 6, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

No question it is a mixed feeling - VERY happy for Maryland's success this year, and VERY disappointed in how the bowl system works. Happy that we're in a bowl game with an opportunity to win another game, disappointed that there are no clear cut rules or consistency in bowl assignments. I STILL feel that Maryland is the red-headed stepchild of the ACC, but happy that each year Gary's team gets a chance to beat Duke and UNC. So you take the good with the bad. Bottom line, the Terps had a great comeback season, with a very promising freshman QB, some potentially great talent, and a bowl to play in. I would like to see Maryland decide if football is important to the University, and if it is, make a greater effort to get fans to the games, and better seats to sit in for us old folks with bad knees. The bigger crime is the Cam Newton double standard which just sours me on college football.

Posted by: bfjam | December 6, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

UMD.

Please do not do what Tennessee did when we played them back in the Orange Bowl. Tennessee clearly did not want to be there, they wanted to play for a National Title and MD killed them.

Win the bowl, come back next year and win the ACC. Last year this team was horrid, we should be happy to be in any bowl this year.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 6, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 - U R so right... the Citrus bowl is such a dump, you didn't even have to bring in the Gator bowl, another dumpy stadium. Who cares, my friends and I enjoyed bowl victories in Champps and Gator bowls, and the giddiness of the Orange Bowl appearance helped with the loss. It's all good, Terps fans are either in or out. This is the part I spoke of in other posts - the usual Terps fans who travel good will probably be going, the wishy washy fence sitters will grouse about something and not go. Put up or shut up. If you show in Barno's lot, may you'll man up and have a shot with him. I'll be bringing some for Barno!

Posted by: terptek | December 6, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

rmcazz - probably an oversight - we played Tennessee in the (Chik-Fil-A) Peach Bowl in 2002... Eat More Vols! Played Florida in the Orange Bowl in '01

Posted by: terptek | December 6, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"I STILL feel that Maryland is the red-headed stepchild of the ACC, but happy that each year Gary's team gets a chance to beat Duke and UNC."

Unfortunately, more Maryland fans are interested in that than in building a good football program, and I'm afraid it's going to show when RFK is coated in purple Dec. 29. You people are ignorant.

Posted by: VPaterno | December 6, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Blah Blah Blah. I have 10 words. Beat Miami and Florida State and your problems go away.

Posted by: danterp10 | December 6, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I think its time for MD to grow up and realize its better for the University to move away from the good ol'boys from the South and move to the Big East where they will have better rivilaries against similiarly statured schools with more respect. What kind of recruiting trip this is 10 miles away. Loacl recruits will jump all over that. "3rd or 4th in the conference but yet number 8th priority. The ACC always has and always will treat MD has the school North of Virginia.

Posted by: kermiepop | December 6, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Ive been a MD fan since Albert King and Buck Williams. I think since that time, my family never expected much of the MD football team. There was the year they were preseason #1, LOL. If they do well, its a fun ride, if they are middle of the pack, which they often are, thats about what I expect. And 5-3 in the ACC is middle of the pack. Outside of the conference, they beat Navy, OK decent win, nearly lost it tho, and WVa routed them in the first half. Florida Intl and Morgan St. dont count. I dont think they deserve anything. However, I dont think anyone deserves to have to play a bowl game at RFK in December.

I think the larger question is, why the H is there a bowl game at RFK? I guess all the middle tier southern cities are satiated with bowls, there being 35 or something. They should have this game at Camp Lejeune, Camp Pendleton, Parris Island or some god forsaken Okefonokee swamp. Anywhere but RFK in December, where it was windy and in the mid 30s last year. There is always a chance it could be warm, but not probable.

Posted by: apeirond | December 6, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"I think its time for MD to grow up and realize its better for the University to move away from the good ol' boys from the South and move to the Big East where they will have better rivilaries against similiarly statured schools with more respect."

Going to the Big East would be a quantum leap backward for Maryland, even compared to the ACC. The Big Ten is the only other conference I would consider joining.

Posted by: VPaterno | December 6, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted at 8:05 AM ET, 11/23/2010
Why all Maryland fans must root for Duke
By Eric Prisbell

I don't care about the bowl match-up. If the choice is between playing in a who-gives-a-sh*t game against a directional school, and having to root for THEM? Forget it. Not that important. Save the gas money.

I.WILL.NOT.IN.ANY.WAY.SUPPORT.ANY.SUCCESS.FOR.THAT.FOUR.LETTER.SCHOOL.IN.DURHAM.

Posted by: mabkhar | November 23, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I will stomach James Franklin as the anointed one before I take any HELP from that four-lettered school in Durham.

Posted by: mabkhar | November 23, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------

So we're going to the to "Who-gives-a-sh*t Toilet Bowl" against a directional school...

...at least I didn't have to root for that four letter school in Durham.

Posted by: mabkhar | December 6, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

re: I'm still trying to understand how VT is a "local" team. As I've often pointed out, Penn State is actually far closer to DC than VT.
----
Like most things, college sports coverage in papers comes down to what's going to make money. So it's going to be about what the local readers are interested in. Miami papers cover FSU and Florida in a manner similar to the Post covering Tech or UVa even though Tallahassee and Gainesville are nearly 500 miles and nearly 300 miles respectively from Miami.

Posted by: thrh1 | December 6, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Here's what Rivals says about the Military Bowl: (ranked 20th out of all 35 bowls)

"20. Military Bowl, East Carolina (6-6) vs. Maryland (8-4), Dec. 29: Maryland had a far better season than expected. The Terps' reward? A bowl game in Washington, D.C., less than an hour from their campus. Expect a lot of points. East Carolina has one of the most potent offenses in the nation. On the flipside, ECU's defense couldn't keep your 13-year-old's Pop Warner team from scoring in the high 20s."

Other bowl games received less flattering previews.

Posted by: SirPelleas | December 6, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

This whole scenario has put MD and its fans in a no win situation. First of all I think Chairman Yao brokered a deal with this bowl and it would not have mattered where we finished except 1 or 2. We were going to play in this bowl regardless.

With that being said, how can this 8th level bowl consider charging the prices they are $55 and $90. These prices are outrageous, compared to the Champs(25-60) and Capital One (45-90) Bowls. Holding MD and their fans hostage for 10,000 seats is unfair. How much will it cost MD when that number is not met? Then the threat of being punished reference selection to future bowls for not meeting that number is sad.

I will be in attendance at this game proudly wearing my MD gear along with others, but I will have bought my tickets elsewhere at a much more reasonable price. With todays economic times this makes perfect sense. Lets Go Maryland!!

Posted by: rich263 | December 6, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VPaterno | December 6, 2010 2:30 PM

I think a re-tooled Big East would be fine for Maryland.

Football Members
Villanova

+ Basketball
Georgetown
Marquette
Notre Dame
St. Johns

Lose Providence, Seton Hall and DePaul. Maybe add another football school to make 12/16 and there would be worse situations for Maryland. Would clearly be the best basketball conference ever assembled.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 6, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Dear Terps,
we're coming in large numbers, and we're going to win.
Love,
ECU

Posted by: BaltimoreBuc | December 6, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

This is no one's fault but The Fridge. Under his leadership the Terps have stunk for so many years and played up and down ball for so long including this year as well that the congregation has finally gotten worn down and stopped coming to games. Maryland wasn't even that good this year. And either was Fridge. And his ACC Coach of the year matters about as much as whoever wins NFC West coach of the year. Maryland deserved just what it got. And as long as Fridge is here, it will continue. Unfortunately.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | December 6, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Why on earth would Maryland go to the Big East?

Posted by: SirPelleas | December 6, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

kev29,,make it happen..wsu,pitt,tcusry cinn and conn...what a home schedule

i like it i like it

Posted by: carolina1 | December 6, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

BTW when did Maryland become University of the Dirty Terps........Josh Wilson?

Never heard that before.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | December 6, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Why on earth would Maryland go to the Big East?

Posted by: SirPelleas | December 6, 2010 3:13 PM

If Maryland was a member of the Big East this year, they'd be going to the Orange, Meineke or Champs bowl. Even if they got passed over, they'd still get a trip to St Petersburg - dumb name for that bowl, but SW Florida is nicer than RFK. The ACC is a shadow of itself.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 6, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: steesy |

How often do we go to champs or any store like that where it really makes a difference? I shop for athletic gear probably twice a year. So I dont think a boycott of champs would have an affect one way or another to champs.

Posted by: ged0386 | December 6, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Maryland fans have been traveling dogs for decades. This goes back decades.

In the 1977 Cotton Bowl, the Terps, undefeated and ranked 12th in the nation, faced the Southwest Conference champion Houston Cougars. At this time the Cotton Bowl still matched the SWC champion against an invited team.

Cotton Bowl and SWC officials were shocked and dismayed at the terrible turn out of fans traveling for Maryland. According to reports, it was the worst attended Cotton Bowl ever by the fans of the invited team.

Be thankful that there is this silly rule requiring only a non-losing record to be eligible for selection to pay in bowl; otherwise it would be on to college basketball.

Don’t let the rats of raccoons at RFK bite you!

Posted by: lgm6986 | December 6, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

GO HOKIES!!! See you all in Miami!

Posted by: hokietax1 | December 6, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I can't beleive the poll question results!!! MD would be so so much better off being in the B10. But sadly for you, you will never get the offer. And MD did get really screwed in the bowl offer.

Posted by: state82 | December 6, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Re: Ticket prices: Why won't UMD sell the $25 seats on their website that I can find on Ticketmaster right now? The bowl is offering 3 tiers ($25/$55/$90), yet the university is only selling the top 2 options. If UMD won't sell the cheapest option, that I can buy somewhere else, they're going to significantly undercount the attendance.

Posted by: Chris737 | December 6, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chris737 | December 6, 2010 4:24 PM

I'm guessing that Maryland allotment of tickets (given to them by the bowl) consists of tickets only on their sideline - in the lower and upper bowl. Not the $25 end zone tickets. Definitely a rip-off, but dictated by the Military Bowl people.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 6, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Very, very sad the way the TERPS were screwed here. Part of the blame lies in the 2-10 record last year. That deflated excitement for the program which stunted attendance throughout this year. Ralph + staff has to look in the mirror for accountability. Kevin Anderson nice way to back us up bud. You are off to a great start here. Can't wait to see the "Military Bowl 2010" banner up @ Byrd. Sure the recruits will be very impressed. With that said Danny O'Brien provides a bright fututre for us.

Posted by: terpcentral1 | December 6, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Terp fans, listen, MD had a chance to go to Charlotte for the championship, but didn't take care of business at home. They didn't close out a Miami team that was on the ropes. MD controlled their destiny and they didn't beat Florida St. at home. The other contributing factor is that MD didn't sell out 1 home game all season. That's pathetic especially since the it only seats 50k. Bottom line, the players are the ones who were screwed. Note to the fans, show up and support your team! Lot 1 is a great place to tailgate before the game, bring the famiily! See you at RFK!

Posted by: Toochilled | December 6, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Kev29 - Ok, but the Terps couldn't beat WVU, so they would not be going to the Orange bowl.

We can't even beat the best teams in the ACC. If Bowl selections are correlated to travel/attendance, I don't see how moving to the Big East would change anything.

Posted by: SirPelleas | December 6, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

hokietax1: "GO HOKIES!!! See you all in Miami!"

You had to post on the UMD article cuz you have a choke arse team that'll never get you to the promised land at the end - always the 5th bridesmaid, never the bride - stuff it and eat it you turkey lmssao

Posted by: terptek | December 6, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

RFK is a dump? Have you checked out College Park lately? No wonder they can't get anybody to go there.

Posted by: redhotCAPSaicin | December 6, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SirPelleas | December 6, 2010 5:08 PM

A) The otherwise hapless Big East has somehow managed to lock-up better bowl tie-ins than the ACC (now that they've lost the Gator)

B) Maryland would be a bigger fish in the Big East - which is still a BCS Auto conference. And the fan base would be more respected in bowl selection when compared to the likes of UConn and Rutgers.

Even with the Orange out - Maryland would be playing in a more prestigious bowl in the Big East. Heck, even the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium is better than the Military Bowl.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 6, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

You got to realize that there is one and only one reason why the Terps get screwed by the bowls: Terp fans travel poorly. This was true for basketball games at Cap Centre.

When you prove that you will hit the road in support of your team, the bowl bigwigs will gibe you a look. Until then, enjoy the ride to RFK and hopefully you won't get swallowed up by a Lot 8 sinkhole.

Posted by: lgm6986 | December 6, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: truke | December 6, 2010 1:04 PM

There were 85-90k fans at FedEx (which as I recall is in Maryland) to see VT-Boise. That is another reason the Post considers VT a local team. Do you think that people in Fairfax, Arlington ... care about UMd Sports?

How many home games does it take UMd to get to 85-90k in attendance?

Posted by: amuse_me_some_more | December 6, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

FORGET THE BIG EAST!!! Nothing but a cheesy patchwork of 1-sport schools cobbled together in the 70s to generate some TV revenue...now they are bringing in TCU and last couple of years it was Marquette, which is where, somewhere out in Milwaukee?????

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 6, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DMV4LIFE | December 6, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I am disappointed just like alot of fans about where Maryland ended up. I live out here in Nebraska and try to get to as many Maryland athletic events as I can that make financial sense for me. There has got to be numerous people in the same boat as me that would like to attend games but just cannot because they live out of state. I am as passionate as anyone when it comes to rooting for our Terps. Heck I will never become a Cornhusker fan and all my friends know it. When I wear my red its Terrapin Red and I always tell everyone out here in Nebraska you all got me drowning in the wrong sea of red. With this being said I will not be able to make the Military Bowl just like I would not have made any other bowl this year Maryland would have played in. What I ask everyone that can attend is please support the Terps for what the bowl means. The money raised for this bowl helps the USO. If one is upset where we ended up that is fine. This has nothing to do with the folks who put on the Military Bowl it has everything to do with how we got passed over for other bowl spots. I ask that anyone who can attend please attend. There is nothing more than I would love to see than a full stadium full of red on ESPN not only because this will show our support for the Terps who need it now more than anything but more importantly show our support for our military and what it means to most of us. Fear The Turtle!!!

Posted by: Nemo4 | December 6, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I will be going to the game and I will be buying season tickets again.

I love how VT fans feel the need to comment on the Terps Insider. Don't you have your own section of the website where no one comments? I don't really want to hear about a school that has not won a national title in any team sport ever.

Posted by: garrett4 | December 6, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey lgm6986 - you've talked about how the Terp fans traveled to the Cotton Bowl and the Capital Centre. That was 1977. It is now 2010. Stop living in the 1970s man. Disco is dead.

Posted by: smitch6087 | December 6, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Congratulation Eric - your lie that the "Terp fans don't travel well" was very successful. I heard your lie repeated on WTEM 980 today and in North Carolina newspapers, both citing you as a source. Once again, I respectfully demand that you prove this assertion. Terp bowl attendance figures prove that this is a lie. Why do you keep repeating this lie? Either back you assertion up with facts or print a retraction and apology NOW.

P.S. Don't cite home attendance figures again. That has NOTHING to do with "travel"

Posted by: smitch6087 | December 6, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Remember the ACC went to a wantabe football conference by adding VT, Miami, and BC. How's that working out? So where is the Big East now? Still in the BCS with TCU coming in. Let's face the real football schools get 65000 at the prep rally the night before the game. MD had some good years in the 50's,70's and 80's with some national attention. The Cotton Bowl was pretty well attended from what I remember but they had an Ice storm the night before. They were actually ranked in the top ten but fell after the loss. For the standards of today stepping into the Big East and be in a respected conference and not a second class citizen.

Posted by: kermiepop | December 6, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

DMV4LIFE wrote:
"People in No. Va don't care about the Terps. We are Hokie and Wahoo fans in football and fans of our respective alma matas when it comes to basketball. As someone who was born in DC and grew up in VA I can't help but always laugh at the sense of entitlement that UMD fans have. Though local sports and news media constantly hype the Terps, no one else cares.

TERPS FANS here's some news for you - YOU ARE IRRELEVANT in the SPORTS LANDSCAPE - BOTH LOCAL AND NATIONALLY!"

If we're so irrelevant why are you posting a comment regarding MD football? Oh that's right, things must be slow at the DMV (or as we call it in MD, the East Germany of D.C., the MVA). You should work at the MVA, with all of the illegals getting licenses, you'd be a lot busier.

BTW: UVa sports are also irrelevant, and most people hate VT for several reasons.

I don't think alma matas is the plural of alma mater?

Posted by: avpcomp2 | December 6, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

As much as I hate seeing the Terps end up in the Military Bowl, when viewed objectively, they are right where they belong. Fact is, the Terps beat no one of consequence this year and have no one but themselves to blame for ending up there. Had the defense not given up a touchdown to Miami in the last 30 seconds, they would have finished at 9-3 and forced some of those higher bowls to take them. Honestly, other than NC state, a game which the Terps almost blew, NONE, repeat NONE, of the ACC victories came against bowl teams. Virginia (nope); Wake Forest (Nope); Duke (Nope); Boston College (Nope). And who did they lose to in the ACC? Florida State, Clemson, and Miami - all teams chosen ahead of them for higher bowls. So lets just stop the fuming and face reality: Maryland is right where they belong and the lesson to be learned is that Ralph needs to start scheduling and beating better non-conference opponents and needs to beat the "good" ACC schools.

Posted by: ckuhfahl | December 6, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

The media powers that be never recognized our season and the fans never got excited because or it. Yeah we had a better than expected season but it was wildly inconsistent. You can't get noticed in college football only winning two games in a row which is the most we did. One more win this year and we have a four or five game winning streak, or a three game winning streak to finish the season.

Posted by: raybell84 | December 6, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: raybell84 | December 6, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smitch6087 December 6, 2010 9:53 PM

Posted by: jake177 | December 7, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

When will Tech fans realize they will never win a national championship? VT is an above average program at best. VT fans think they are a top 5 program. You would be .500 if you played in the SEC. Stick to Agriculture and Research and leave football to the big boys. By the way, if you ever want to know how many national championships VT has ever won in any sport, you can find the answer here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_national_championships_has_virginia_tech_won

The Terps have you beat!

Posted by: Toochilled | December 7, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

I am shocked at the number of people who think MD is better off in the ACC or even worse, the Big East. When will you people learn. It's not about winning a National Championship, its about being competitive and selling out Byrd Stadium every weekend. We need to go to the Big Ten. The reason our stadium is so empty is the very conference in which we play in. NC State, UNC, those fans have no other option. They live in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. We live in DC, with plenty of options. Fans want a good opponent. They want to see Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State at Byrd not Duke, Wakeforest, NC State and UNC. Heck the only reason VT sells out at Byrd is because of there obsessed fans. Who cares about those schools. Give us a chance to compete in the Big Ten and you will see how sold out Byrd can be.

Posted by: tony28 | December 7, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Seems that, as usual, some fans have a strong case of amnesia when it comes to not remembering: Byrd stadium sold out regularly to capacity crowds just a few years ago (thanks to the Fridge of course).

Posted by: Barno1 | December 7, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

"We also lost four games (Clemson, Fla. State, Miami and West Virginia) to the only strong programs of note on our schedule (NC State womp womp). While we overachieved, we just needed to beat one of those teams and we didn't. Our national profile didn't merit the fans or the bowl."

"How many times were we ranked this year in the top 25?? How many times were we on ESPN3.com instead of regular television??"

How many times were we on national tv? A record number in 2010. As for the pollsters, they have no idea half the time. You think UNC being ranked in bball means anything? Either way, I hope we can at least agree that it doesn't matter how how times were we ranked during the season, it only matters how you finish. We have a strong chance to be ranked in the top 25 to close the 2010 season, which would be a nice little reward for a deserving team and coach.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 7, 2010 1:12 AM | Report abuse

I am shocked at the number of people who think MD is better off in the ACC or, even worse, the Big East. When will you people learn. It's not about winning a National Championship, its about being competitive and selling out Byrd Stadium every weekend. We need to go to the Big Ten. The reason our stadium is so empty is the very conference in which we play in. NC State, UNC, those fans have no other option. They live in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. We live in DC, with plenty of options. Fans want a good opponent. They want to see Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State at Byrd, not Duke, Wake Forest, NC State and UNC. Heck the only reason VT sells out at Byrd is because of their obsessed fans. Who cares about those schools. Give us a chance to compete in the Big Ten and you will see how sold out Byrd can be.

Posted by: tony28 | December 7, 2010 12:55 AM
___________________

I fully agree. Put Maryland in the Big Ten, and you would probably have to expand Byrd Stadium to 70,000 or so to meet demand, not just from visiting fans but Terrapin fans too (as better recruiting classes come to College Park) -- but the ticket sales and revenue would more than compensate for the cost of expansion. And the increased athletic revenue, academic lift and boost in research funding would make Big Ten membership the best thing that ever happened to the university.

Unfortunately, the Terp fan base is largely populated with ignorant yahoos who chant "you suck," only care about (men's) basketball, and are paranoid about Duke and UNC. I'm afraid if Maryland accepted a Big Ten invitation, they would probably riot. As a College Park alumnus, I'm ashamed of the mindset that pervades this campus.

Posted by: VPaterno | December 7, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

AVPCOMP2 - I’m a MD grad living in Northern VA. As far as the ACC is concerned I agree this is UVA/Virginia Tech territory but I don’t thinks it’s as personal as you’re making it out to be. Kids from Virginia don’t typically go to UMD because why should they pay out-of-state tuition to go to UMD when they have good state schools and can pay instate tuition at VT or UVA if they can get in? I even found myself thinking that way concerning my kids but my heart belongs to the Terps regardless of where I live and I know I’m not the only Terp alum living in Virginia.

Posted by: TerpAlum | December 7, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 - You are proving your ignorance by going out of your way to avoid mentioning Boston College and Navy--a team that is not only "ranked" higher than NC State, Miami, and Clemson according to both polls--but is also the better team.

My argument is about strong programs, what type of consistency has BC had since the days of Flutie? College football is as much about yesteryear as it is about today, and strong programs still sell tickets. And being ranked DOES matter to the TV schedule makers and to the fans. When they look in the paper and see No. vs No. or even that you are playing a No., it puts people in the stands.

A national reputation and a good team are two different things and there was no national buzz created by this team. Point blank. You're ignorant to think our local attention to the team is the equivalent of the rest of the country.

Posted by: raybell84 | December 7, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I hope Maryland leaves the ACC. After the NC State victory none of the ACC representatives who vote for top 25 voted Maryland. The years Maryland was on the bubble for the NCAA Tourny, Swofford and the ACC never stood up for Maryland. When Maryland was put on probation, the ACC didn't care, they made sure we got the death penalty.
I live in the triangle and Maryland is bad mouthed here alot. No one likes Maryland and they are red headed step child.
They get no respect. The papers still write about Duke winning the ACC outright last year. Let them replace us with ECU like they want. I'm tired of hearing how trashy the fans and College Park is from our supposedly "Southern Friends". Even Tom O'Brien trashed Maryland on the local radio yesterday. Wake up Maryland, leave the ACC!

Posted by: NoPartyAffiliate | December 8, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse