Posted at 5:26 PM ET, 12/12/2010

Friedgen: Bowl-selection process ‘disrespected our school’

By Liz Clarke

Football Coach Ralph Friedgen made an impassioned plea at halftime of Maryland’s ACC basketball opener Sunday, calling on students and boosters to attend the Dec. 29 Military Bowl to support the players and scuttle impressions that Terps fans don’t back their team.

Taking the microphone at mid-court, Friedgen said that his team had “played its heart out” and overcome tremendous adversity during the season and deserved a strong turnout.

Then he addressed the bowl-selection process, which slotted Maryland in a bowl normally reserved for the ACC’s eighth-best team despite the fact that the 8-4 Terps finished tied for third.

“In a way, they disrespected our school by this process,” Friedgen said. “I’m a Terp also.”

The coach added that Maryland fans could “show these people what our school represents” by showing up at RFK Stadium for the Military Bowl, which he noted supports a worthy cause.

He also noted that East Carolina has already sold its allotment of tickets.

“I don’t want our team playing in front of purple,” Friedgen said, drawing great applause. “I want ‘em playing in front of red!”

By Liz Clarke  | December 12, 2010; 5:26 PM ET
Categories:  Football, Ralph Friedgen  | Tags:  Maryland football, Military Bowl, Ralph Friedgen
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gus Malzahn accepts Vanderbilt head coaching offer
Next: James Franklin expected to become Vanderbilt head football coach

Comments

Originally, out of frustration, I said here that I wasn't going to go. Now, it turns out I am going.

This is one instance when Friedgen is right. The bowl system is broken and they took it out on us because we have a new AD.

To the NCAA, I am going to support the Terps, not the Military Bowl (although I support our sons and daughters in the field), nor the broken NCAA bowl system.

Temple, I might add, was screwed worse than us. The bowl system is broken.

Posted by: steven09 | December 12, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Losing at home to BC to start the ACC=ouch.

Posted by: acebojangles | December 12, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Don't know what good it did. The crowd looked a little thin on TV.

Posted by: rich263 | December 12, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Terps' poor defense against the 3-point shot kept BC in it, but the missed free throws late in the 2nd half cost the game. Nice game by JWill.

Posted by: MrScrotums | December 12, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Up three points. Stoglin makes a brainless drive to the basket and into 4 defenders to throw up a brick. Reminded me of Vasquez 3 years ago.

BC scores to tie.

Next two possessions we miss three free throws.

BC scores. Game over.

Know Gary can work his magic with this team, but hope it takes effect before we run out of cupcakes and start conference play.

Posted by: RITerp | December 12, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

"Disrespect" wasn't a verb when I went to school, which was about the same time Ralph did. Know he is speaking the language of his players, but in this case he is also a University spokesman at a public forum which calls for standard English in my opinion.

Posted by: RITerp | December 12, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Coach Friedgen is correct - - the Bowl Selection Committees that passed-up on the TERPS, along with the shady ACC Leadership, absolutely disrespected us. And for you pseudo TERRAPIN fans touting that BS stay-at-home protest campaign - - your fickled'arses are also complicate in disrespecting the TERPS.

Instead of boohooing about which Bowl didn't select the TERRAPINS, just fan-up and buy a ticket or two! I've purchased three @ $90.00 + 2.00, for the Military Bowl. One of which, is for my Buddy (a Bowie, MD resident) who happens to be a freckin' Florida State football fan! Perhaps him watching the TERPS put up a basketball score on ECU will be the beginning of his conversion to TERP NATION.

Riddle me this, "Protestors": How much would you have spent purchasing airfare to Orlando, or El Paso, along with a couple of nights in a hotel, rental car, food, parking, and a game ticket? However, $92 bucks is tantamount to extortion, when it comes to the TERRAPINS? Pretzel logic, from this TERP'S perspective. Reward the TERPS for the better than average season, with your duff in a seat at RFK.

PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!!

Posted by: JEDI_TERP | December 12, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

The Fridge is right that Maryland had a respectable year.

With his attitude, however, he'd better hope he sells out and wins the bowl that's in his back yard.

Posted by: Benson | December 12, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps fans of other schools would see Fridge's campaigning for a crowd a little sad, but I think it shows how much pride he has in his school and players. I like it. Also talked my father, brother-in-law and nephew into going to the bowl game with me. Go Terps!

Posted by: Kev29 | December 12, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

What bothers me is how tickets are so expensive when they are bought through the University. I plan on being there to support the Terps, but I'm just a college student (not at Maryland unfortunatly) and 55 bucks for a ticket is way too much for me. However, I can buy a ticket from the Military Bowl's website for 25 bucks plus a couple dollars in fees. I'll be there with some buddies wearing red, but it won't count toward Maryland meeting the ticket allotment.

Posted by: birdsfan09 | December 12, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: birdsfan09 | December 12, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

In the vein of Steven09, I am also reversing field. It's the ACC that is really broken, and I wonder if they penalized us because we have a new African-American AD. After all, MD was the first ACC school to integrate football and basketball, and I think that cost us over the years as well down in glow-white NC.

I don't think selling out our allotment will amount to a hill of beans, but I have been swayed to act. I donated four of the cheapies and bought a lower level ticket for myself which I'll use as long as I can get the day off or at least half the day with a casual dress waiver. Three things made the difference. One, the revelation that there will be some nice events for the athletes in the run-up to the game: White House visit, Capitol Hill visit, Caps Game, and Wizards game among them. Two, a recorded message from Danny O'Brien sometime Thursday asking for fans to purchase tickets. And three, a recorded video from Ralph on Friday asking for support. I think it's also been smart to de-bunk some of this notion along the way that Maryland hasn't supported bowl games in the past.

The recorded message and video also clearly indicated two things to me. Number one - we obviously hadn't sold the 10,000 allotment by the opening of the bell on Friday morning, and Number two - the earlier recorded message by Kevin Anderson had zero effect.

Posted by: Terps85 | December 12, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

There are 35 bowl games.

That means there are a lot teams that really shouldn't even make the post season.

One or two teams going to a bowl per conference would be plenty.

Posted by: Benson | December 12, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

"Disrespect"! What do we expect. We do nothing for 7 years, Go 2 - 10 last year, win over Navy by four points on 5 turnovers, play three nobodies, beat the worst in the ACC a weak football conference and expect respect because we won one game against NC State ( How would we do against Miss., AL, LSU, Tenn.)

When we play 3 strong seasons, schedule someone out of Conf. other than East, Central state teacher college then we will get respect.

Other than Soccer, womens B ball and field hockey what do we do to earn respect. Mens basketball plays 7 games against east-west tech college, wins 7 and puffs out their chest. They make it to the NCAA every third year and go out in the second game. Make round 2 or 3 of the NIT the rebuilding years which out number the good years 2 to 1.

Do something year in year out in Football and B ball and then we will get respect. Continue to upset Duke once every 6 games and Win against one medium football team (NC State) every couple of years and you get what you deserve "DISRESPECT".

Wonder why fans do not come to games!! Football has one pay for 6 games, plays 4 nobodies and two decent games. Basketball almost fills the arena because of 8 ACC games, the rest of the schedule is a joke. One pays two for one for the decent games.

Try playing a full home schedule against real teams, get coaches that can build a top 20 team year in year out, recruit the players for a top 20 team in both sports bring out the fans and be respected.

Posted by: geoski | December 12, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

geoski - Based on your comments, I assume you will definitely purchase season tickets next year. West Virginia, Notre Dame, Clemson, and Miami are all part of the season ticket package. That's an intense home schedule. BC, UVA, Towson, and Temple round out the teams. I'd say only Towson is a cupcake in that group. Some might say Temple, but they won 8 games this year.

Posted by: TerpFan2001 | December 12, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I agree with geoski and would add three thoughts. First, this year the Terps had their worst home attendance since 2002. If they can't sell tickets to their home games, why would a bowl committee, trying to bring commerce to its city, think the Terps would travel well? Second, "I wonder if they penalized us because we have a new African-American AD"? Wow, Terps85, you are not only blind to the realities of the situation, but your racial paranoia is just scary. Third, have you looked at next year’s schedule? You don’t need to worry about MD being disrespected as they will not be going to a bowl. They will be lucky to win five games.

Posted by: gbrown4 | December 12, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Yawn! Why should a bowl gamble on a program like Maryland when there are plenty of teams that could easily bring 20K or more fans to a game without breaking a sweat. Once you get past the BCS bowls the rest is about putting butts in seats and what type of TV ratings you can draw with a good matchup.

IMO, Maryland is lucky to be playing anywhere, so just suck it up and enjoy the scenic bus trip down the BW Parkway. Plus, it seemed pretty clear that the university was not very interested in participating in a bowl game which would result in net loss for the athletic department once you figured in all of the travel costs.

Posted by: AlligatorArms | December 12, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Fridge and Anderson needs to get the ACC to do us fans a favor and add attendence after wins and losses in the standings for what is the actual leauge tiebreaker.

Posted by: richyr | December 13, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

GBrown4, I'm not paranoid about anything. What are you paranoid about? I said "I wonder". Can you comprehend the meaning of the word "wonder"? Incidently, what realities are you talking about? The reality that this area is one of the wealthiest in the country jock full of people who love to travel and spend lots of money. The home attendance has nothing to do with it. You and your other non-Terps just trashed the home schedule, so why would you expect anyone to attend games against meagher opponents. I can't help it if folks in this area are more discerning. I know (different than wonder)that you get more for your money at any home Terps game than you do at a home DeadSkins game.

Posted by: Terps85 | December 13, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

There WILL be a sea of purple in RFK. ECU fans are as rabid and fanatical as any in the country. Our defense may be awful, but we put up bunches of points in a hurry. We too know something about being disrepected (we are the "Red headed step child" in the shadow of Tobacco Road). I will be at the game but "conflicted" since I grew up in College Park and attended UMd. games since the late 60's.
Go PIRATES!!!!!

Posted by: ECPIRATE75 | December 13, 2010 5:18 AM | Report abuse

ecpirat75..are you using your social security check to buy the seats...

76 pts and still scoring...terps by 40

Posted by: carolina1 | December 13, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

lets see how many folks are buying seats...

yes,says carolina1 but another site has carolinaterp which i would have used if available

Back to the seats..When mine arrice i will post...90 dollar seats and i bought 4..PLUS WILL BE DRIVING UP FROM RALEIGH..NED TO BE CAREFUL FOR ROAD RAGE PIRATES ESP MY EX WIFE PIRATE 82..

LIST YOUR SEATS AND BE AT THE ARMONY

Posted by: carolina1 | December 13, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

The disrespect is to R.F. and his program. Terps fans have already shown there disrespect by the poor attendence. The football program has lost money. Remember the previous coach was fired for declining attendence.

Posted by: MARKHAGNER | December 13, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Terps lose again because of failures at the free-throw line. Make those four foul shots and the Terps are playing the final two minutes on the front foot. Instead, they miss them and allow BC to put them on the back foot.

Posted by: runningcloud | December 13, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: geoski | December 12, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

The NIT years outnumber the NCAA tourney years by 2 to 1 and we haven't done anything in football in 7 years?

We have made the ncaa tournament 14 times in last 17 years, including 3 of last 4. As for the last 7 years of football, since Dec of 2003 we have won the Gator Bowl, won the Champs bowl, and this will be our fifth bowl game in that time.

So...since you just outed yourself as someone who doesn't follow MD bball or football at all, why even comment?

Posted by: Barno1 | December 13, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Fridge...build up the positive and exciting aspects of the Military Bowl...keep the bitterness about being "disrespected" (I dont think Disrespect is a verb) for the locker room...if there is a lack of respect for the program, you own it...its your show..dont blame the fans because you put a wildly inconsistent program on the field each Saturday (even the vaunted Redskins are seeing 25,000 empty seats after many losing seasons)....Fans want to come see UMD play an exciting game instead of being part of your "anger party" toward the ACC or Bowl Committees...especially since we know you and your lawyer are already drafting press releases to inflate your already gargantuan $2M comp package

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 13, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

For those people who commented that only the expensive tickets are available through UMd, I just wanted to let everyone know that's not true. You CAN buy the $25 tickets by calling the UMd ticket office and asking for the cheaper seats. If you request them (like I did) they are happy to sell them to you!

Posted by: gburggal | December 13, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 13, 2010 12:07 PM

Coach Friedgen has indeed played up many of the positives - did so with Johnny Holiday on 980 during the basketball game yesterday. Mentioned that the team will be staying in a nice hotel, going to the White House, Capitol, Caps and Wizards games.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 13, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Yes well, I am not talking about the positives related to hotels and caps/wizards games, I am talking about the positives and exciting aspects of the season with a chance to win 9 games, play against a high scoring offense, ACC rookie of the year etc....

How about something like this: Your Terrapins will face off against one of the nations most exciting offenses in the Military Bowl right here are RFK....Coming off an 8-4 season, we are looking to go 9-4 and are led by ACC Rookie of the Year DOB..this promises to be a high scoring and exciting football game as Maryland looks to put a cap on a terrific winning season and build momentum for an exciting and challenge filled 2011 featuring Notre Dame..come be part of the experience as your 2010 Terrapins return to the proud winning tradition of Maryland Football..you will be glad you did....

Sounds a little better than : "hey we got screwed by the ACC and bowl committees so I want you to fork over your hard earned money to give these chumps the middle finger and teach them not to disrespect us"

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 13, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Stop whinning Fridge, you got the game you deserved.

Posted by: klemmy | December 13, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

This message is for TerpfanMA and TerpfanMA only:

Dude, your anti-Friedgen agenda has gotten beyond nauseating. In your eyes, there is nothing our two-time ACC Coach of the Year and one-time National Coach of the Year can say or do that is acceptable to you. Every win is diminished, every accomplishment is 'old news', anything good he achieved happened 'with other people's players'. Every recruit he gets sucks. Every current player sucks, even NFL bound Kenny Tate and ACC rookie of the year Danny O'Brien, as long as they are playing for Friedgen. Everything from Fridge's lobbying fans to come to the games to his physical appearance is unsightly to you.

Well...since nothing Friedgen can say or do will please you, why don't you do us all all a favor and SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY? No one cares about your idiotic, misguided, seething hatred of Ralph Friedgen. No one. So either shut up about him or go find another team to hate.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 13, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

>>"they disrespected our school by this process,” Friedgen said.

Ya think? And it aint on the students or alum who won't travel. It's on the Fridge who has killed this program with lousy coaching and lousy teams and lousy results during his entire tenure.

Even this year, Md really blew it. They could have simply won the important games and settle everything on the field. But under Fridge they never do.
Just look in the mirror coach before blaming anyone else.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | December 13, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 13, 2010 12:39 PM

He's talked about all those things too. And multiple mentions of how much he "loves coaching this team"

Posted by: Kev29 | December 13, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Terp85-"jock full of people"? Is that anything like "chock full of people"?

Posted by: fellowfan | December 13, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I wish Ralph would tell us what he really thinks.
I am to the point that I am no longer getting involved with sports. There are better things in life to do. Yes, we can purchase tickets to this game but the ACC/BCS will do the same thing to the Terps next year. ACC never supports the Terps. Where were they when we went on probation? where were they when the basketball team was on the bubble and needed support? Where were they this year and past years when we were jobbed on a bowl? How come we can never get top 25 votes for baseketball and football when deserving? I give up

Posted by: NoPartyAffiliate | December 13, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Terps85, What am I paranoid about? Jackasses who think they know better than me, how I should spend my hard earned money. Just to be clear, I am talking about being over taxed and having mandatory health care, not what bowl game I am going to see. But we can have that discussion in the political section. Regarding the word “Wonder,” that’s the land you live in thinking you have something more than the 8th seeded football team this year and some outside diabolic force is at work that hates terrapins, but let’s work on some common ground. I do believe as you do that “this area is one of the wealthiest in the country jock(?) full of people who love to travel and spend lots of money.” That being said, they are choosing to spend it in other places. So why is that? Why is it that MD has such poor home attendance? Why is it that the bowl system looked at MD and “disrespected” them? Why is it that MD could only get a mercy pick and is walking to the Military Bowl? I feel your time would be for better spent looking inside the program to answer these questions versus blaming the messenger (i.e. the bowl committees) or “wondering” if it is racism. By the way, you clearly do cry racism when you say, “ I think that cost us over the years as well down in glow-white NC.”

Posted by: gbrown4 | December 13, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

If UMD wants to stay home, we Temple fans would be happy to have our team back in the Eagle Bank Bowl.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 13, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Barno makes two comments and they are both blasting other people. Here's a message for you Barno. ST*U

I liked Terpsfan's script for Ralph and I would hope that Anderson helps him get on a better message track.

By the way, when was the last time we made the Sweet 16, Barno? Making the tournament is a very, very low goal.

Posted by: petecard | December 13, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Exactly Pete...its time Fridge was reminded that he is a public representative of UMD and stopped acting like a spoiled little child...while he has made some appropriate remarks about the game, his other comments about getting screwed, and not being able to motivate his kids to play are the ones that dominate the press....imagine if the roles were reversed and ECU had the better record and all they did was complain about getting stuck in this bowl with UMD....

I am excited about going to the game and anxiously await Fridges next round of public salary/contract extension talk..

In the meantime, its time for Fridge to put on a happy face and get ready for the game...by my count, he will earn almost $100,000 between now and kickoff, so lets get our moneys worth...what do you say Fridge?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 13, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Can't go to the game but go TERPS.

Went to the Hokies/FSU game in Charlotte. Wore my Terp hoodie and got lots of thanks and beers from FSU fans. Did get a picture with the Terrapin.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | December 13, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Congratulation Coach Friedgen for winning ACC Coach of the year!

I echo your sentiments in that Maryland was disrepected by the BCS selection committee.

However, what I would have loved our university to do ... would be tell the BCS to stick it where the sun don't shine.

We should have rejected the Military Bowl invite. It's revolting!

And, the publicity we would receive for doing that would have sent a STRONG message.

Posted by: mi6-007 | December 13, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Here is an interesting comparison to consider...

Posted by: petecard | December 14, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I have heard the crying now for several weeks about the Terps getting shafted in their Bowl selection.

Feel free, send that STRONG message stay home, thats how you ended up in this game to begin with. I have just a few simple questions was the team ranked at all this season? Do they have any signature wins? If you want to talk about getting snubbed how about Boise State? They were ranked inside the the top 4 all season. They defeated the undefeated ACC champion on the road. They miss a chip shot field goal and end up in a million dollar bowl game just like the Terps.

Look at Michigan State 11-1 inside the top 10 no BCS game. Look at TCU undefeated no shot at the championship. Look at all of the non AQ schools who placed more teams (6) inside the top 25 then any BCS conference other then the SEC. The best bowl game they can hope for is the Liberty Bowl and its 1.4 million payout.

I can see the logic, a team that tied for 3rd in a conference that placed 2 teams in the top 25 got passed over. How this was not the lead story on Sports Center I dont know. Wins over Morgan State, FIU, and Duke hardly the whos who of the college football world.

The Terps had a nice season and to go from 2-10 to 8-4 is a nice story. Should they had a shot at a better game? sure but it didnt work out that way. I recall Boston College loosing twice in the ACC Championship final. One year they ended up as the 4th seed and the other year they were sent to Boise to play in the Humatarian Bowl yet I never heard word one from the Maryland fans.

There is a simple solution to all of this, win a championship then you know where you are going.

I dont think you are sending a strong message saying we tied for 3rd in a weak ACC and if we dont get what we want were staying home. From the looks at Byrd this year most of you did that and where did it get you.

Posted by: dcpirate28 | December 14, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

there were circumstances that made the situation and outcome what it is. i have no issue with the head coach suporting his players by publicly stating they got the shaft.

It's unfortunate that the attendance coming off the 2-10 season had a major impact. i also found it unfortunate that Prisbell really pushed the notion that MD doesn't travel to bowl games, which by now we all know is completely untrue. Or that MD was not interested in other bowl games because of expenses. It's really sad that the beat reporter helped reinforce false notions that contributed to the outcome.

Posted by: minhle1 | December 14, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcpirate28 | December 14, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

dcpirate28, I have asked this question many times on here but to no avail: why post a comment when you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about? Just to spread your ignorance so stupidity will reign? Seriously, what is the point? You post an absolutely idiotic and long comment taking Terps fans to task and then you back it up with complete and utter nonsense about boston college going to the ACC title game only to lose and be sent to the Humanitarian bowl. The only problem with this claim? There is not one iota of truth to it, nor would it even be possible.

Please, for the love of God people, if you do not have any idea what it is you are talking about, don't feel compelled to spread your ignorance to others.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 14, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Barno everything I said was correct with 1 exception and that was the location of the bowl game. BC lost twice to VTech in the ACC championship. In 2007 BC was ranked 12th after loosing to Tech and ended up with the #4 seed playing in the Car Care Bowl. In 2008 they lost again in the final and played in the #5 or #6 seeded game depending on who you want to listen to Music City Bowl. I thought it was the Boise game because I new they fell at least 4 spots.

The point was they finished as ACC runner up 2 years in a row and were sent to the 4th and 6th seeded games. The Terps TIED FOR THIRD not quite as good as 2nd, and fell to the 8 hole, oh well. BC was more deserving those years yet nobody complained on their behalf. I think you are going to have a tough time making your case about an unranked team getting shorted while there have been so many more deserving teams get the same treatment in your own conference.

Posted by: dcpirate28 | December 14, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

The boys did great. But they lost to the better teams like FSU, WVa, and Miami. They had one so called signature win over NCSt. Who does Fridge think he's kidding? Does this attitude inspire his players? This is like Seth Greenberg crying about the basketball tourney leaving him out. Now they line up competition and still stink. And as for Gary. Sure he recruited better but he doesn't play the best boys he's gotten. Parker has a reserved sign on the bench. Why haggle? Gary has big backers who pay to fill the seats. You can't go out and get JUCO's every year. Gary does not know how to develop ball players. Period. He runs the same dog and pony show year in and year out. At least the Fridge did good with what the school and its coaches can recruit. Gary finally gets one decent guy from his backyard for next year. Meanwhile the Kentucky's, Dukes, Vols, Michigan States and Kansas and UConn keep loading up. And don't give me that garbage he's honest. They all play the game by the same rules. He just is an anachronism. Play with what u brung.

Posted by: KraftPaper | December 15, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

I was at the BC game, but missed Ralph's talk - I was getting a hot dog. I will am football season ticket holder, went to SF Emerald Bowl and Orang bowl, and will buy tix for military and go. I feel disappointed with this bowl but do not feel it was undeserved, based on current Bowl system (it is about butts in seats). If UMD wants a better bowl, then it has to consistently win 8-9 games, compete for ACC title, and fill stadium.... OR it has to win ACC to go to Orange bowl. I think KraftPaper's comments on Gary are completely wrong, he will go into coaching hall of fame, deservedly. Let's see what team does remainder of year.

Posted by: jyl1st | December 17, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse