Posted at 10:58 PM ET, 12/21/2010

Maryland sold out ticket allotment for Military Bowl

By Steve Yanda

My apologies, folks. Meant to publish this much earlier today. So if you haven't already heard, Maryland has sold out its allotment of 10,000 tickets for the Military Bowl. Here's the full press release, issued Tuesday afternoon by bowl game officials:

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Military Bowl officials announced Tuesday that Maryland has sold out its ticket allotment and East Carolina has just 500 tickets remaining heading into bowl week. Both teams were given 10,000 tickets to sell to their respective fan bases. The excitement is building as both teams prepare to play in the Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman on December 29 at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. Kickoff is 2:30 p.m. ET (ESPN).

“Maryland and ECU supporters have come out in force,” said Steve Beck, executive director of the Military Bowl. “With a limited number of seats left, we encourage people to purchase tickets now. Taking the family to the Military Bowl is a great holiday gift.”

In addition to fan support, local residents have shown their true holiday spirit through MilitaryBowl.org, the bowl’s official site. Since November, the site has raised more than $20,000 in donations toward the purchase of bowl game tickets for military members and their families. A sizable portion of this donation has come from Northrop Grumman employees. Donations are still being accepted.

“We are grateful for the generosity that has been exhibited through this special program that gives back to our brave military members,” continued Beck. “The Military Bowl celebrates our troops, and these funds will be used to ensure they enjoy an entertaining event during the holidays.”

Fans can also enjoy a full lineup of bowl week activities. Festivities begin with the Military Bowl Battle of the Bands presented by Marriott on Freedom Plaza from 7 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on December 27, and continue with the Military Bowl Official Tailgate Party at the DC Armory on game day from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., before culminating with The After Party at the DC Armory from 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. after the game.

Tickets to all events can be purchased at Ticketmaster.com, all Ticketmaster locations or by calling 800-551-SEAT. Tickets also can be purchased or picked up at the RFK Stadium box office December 27 - 29 or at the DC Armory Will Call trailer on December 29 (Armory events only). Group orders can be purchased by calling (202) 785-BOWL (2695).

Additional information on the Military Bowl and bowl week events can be found at www.MilitaryBowl.org or by calling (202) 785-BOWL.

By Steve Yanda  | December 21, 2010; 10:58 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Source: John Donovan has informed Ralph Friedgen he will not coach Terps in Military Bowl
Next: Terps To Tackle NJIT Highlanders As If National Champs

Comments

Is Fargo1 still boycotting UMD like he said?

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 21, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh man what a contradiction...

Speaking of contradicting one's self...take a look at how disturbed this nutcase Poopy_McPoop/DixontheDog is. Poopy got banned by the Post (hahaha) and then used the name Ralph_Melish, then that name got banned too. Now he is using DixonTheDog

--------------------------------------

My family's dog was also named dixon, til he was killed by a neighbor's dog a few weeks ago. Assuming yours was also named after the juan and only.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 18, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

now barno, I'll say this. It's terribly unfortunate to hear about your dog. I almost wanted to make a joke about it (just to really, really rile you up and be a jerk) but thought better

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Barno1, while you're manning up, why don't you tell everyone how you got your dog killed because you thought it'd be fun to pull a Mike Vick and get into dog fighting?

C'mon Barno1, time to be a big boy and fess up to your sins.

Posted by: ralph_melish | October 18, 2010 4:51 PM
-------------------------------------

Wow. Just wow. This disgusting piece of sh*t went from saying "it's terribly unfortunate to hear about your dog" to "why don't you tell everyone how you got your dog killed" and accusing me of torturing my dog like Mike Vick (Dixon actually died by an out of control neighbor's dog). He then changing his name to my mock my dog's death. All because he disagrees with someone's comments on a public message board.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

You come across all kinds of people on the internet, and though we may argue a lot I know the Petecards and the TerpfanMAs and the epdalys are probably decent people. We actually agree on some things but we focus on the things we disagree on.

But when you see a real low life scumbag like Poopy_McPoop/DixonTheDog, and see how low he will stoop to "get" me, well there's just no denying the guy is just a terrible human being.

He does this crap around Christmas too, knowing it's the one year anniversary of Dixon's death. I mean really. The guy belongs in a mental institution. Period.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Where in the world is Eric Prisbell? After all, this was such an obsession with him. Doesn't he have the decency to admit that he was wrong about Terp fan support for bowl games?

My guess is that he is off somewhere congratulating himself for getting Fridge fired. It's not everyday that a sports writer can add a sucessful coach's scalp to his trophy case. Now, I am sure that he would deny all of this, but he is only being modest. Make no mistake about it, Prisbell had a key role in all of this. In his zeal to get the Terps placed in the Military Bowl, he constantly harped on the home attendance figures and ignored the bowl attendance figures. As a result, higher tiered bowls passed on the Terps and the Terps fell to the Military Bowl, right where Prisbell wanted them. Unfortunately, there were unintended consequences. The Maryland AD, already concerned by the home attendance figures, must have been discouraged that home attendance cost the team a better bowl bid, particulary given the overwhelming evidence that the Terps fans do travel to bowl games. Home attendance was the one thing that Fridge could not change, so it was only a matter of time before he had to go.

I really like Fridge and wish that he could have continued as coach. I am perfectly happy with 8-4 seasons and 40,000 fans a game. However, the Terps can not be stuck playing in the Military Bowl every year. That is unacceptable to me as an alumn, and it is a slow death for the football program. Unlike some, I do not blame Anderson for this. If we are at the point where bowl games are selected based on home attendance figures, then he had to do something to keep the program from dying.

However, that doesn't absolve Prisbell. Higher tiered bowls were interested in the Terps until he started writing his nonsense about home attendance. His blog entries were picked up by other media outlets and were used as justification for not selecting the Terps. If Maryland had gone to the Champs Sports Bowl, where they belonged, then maybe Fridge would still have a job. What do you have to say about that Eric? Did you really think that stuff that you wrote would have no impact on whther Fridge could continue as coach? Are you that naive?

Posted by: smitch6087 | December 22, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Interesting comments. I generally like Prisbell but he was a little over the top with the "Terps don't travel" storyline, especially since it's just false when you look at the incredible number of the Maryland fanbase that traveled to our previous upper tier bowls (gator, peach, orange, champs).

I will say this: you make a very interesting point about whether he would have been forced out had we been in the Champ Sports Bowl. I think you're right that it would have been less likely. The good vibes from heading to Orlando for a warm weather bowl in the 3rd most prestigious bowl game in the ACC would have been a far cry from the overwhelming disappointment the entire Terp Nation felt when we got sentenced to the Military Bowl.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 12:45 AM | Report abuse

I love collective buying!!! Want to get food at the lowest prices? Then the place is called "Printapons" find them online

Posted by: carolairvin | December 22, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

I knew the real Terps fans would make this glorified home game a sell-out. The real fans travel well and support the team 100%. If other people don't come to games because of last year's record or the games don't have sizzle, let them stay home; we don't want them. Let petecard and terp"fan"ma go support Boston College: they need fans more than we do.

By the way, Prisbell, what is your take on UConn? Their first BCS game and they have yet to sell more than 4,000 tickets. What's more is that the state taxpayers are going to have to eat the remianing cost of the tickets alloted to them. Lat year they brought a huge gathering of 2,900 to the papjohns.com bowl in Birmingham. And yet, WE don't travel well? WE don't support our team? WE get the 8th seed even though WE have the 3rd best record in the ACC and beat NC State head-to-head? I guarantee that if the Terps went to the Fiesta Bowl, they would send more than the 10,000 alloted; heck, we sent more than that to the bloody Emerald Bowl in San Francisco. Whaddaya think of UConn, Eric?

Posted by: ecglotfelty | December 22, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Anything short of a conference championship would not have been enough to keep him, since Anderson did not want to extend his contract. but if he had finished that high, I think it would've been nearly impossible to fire him.

Posted by: break20 | December 22, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

I disagree that somehow Prisbell's blogs influenced the bowl decision process. I just don't see bowl committee members sitting around reading the Terrapin Insider and using that to make a money decision. It's frustrating and we look to blame someone but it's not Prisbell. It's the people who do not pay the money to attend games. I was at every home game this year and attendance was almost always disappointing. Also I firmly believe that UCONN would not be in a BCS game if they had not played their way in. No way any upper tier bowl 'chooses' UCONN. They won their conference so they play in a BCS game. UMD has had chances to win games that would have put them in the ACC championship game, including this year, and they lost. Those wins would have put UMD into a position to play their way into a BCS game.

Posted by: erniegogo | December 22, 2010 5:56 AM | Report abuse

It's really not that big of a deal that Maryland sold out their 10,000 allotment of tickets.. THEY SHOULD HAVE !!!! The game is in our backyard.. That's what the bowl officials were hoping for be getting Maryland.. Plus how many of the $25 seats did Terp fans buy...I'll be there, Sec. 537.
The big question is this...Win or Lose, Terps players will want to carry Ralph off the field, will they:
A- Be able to get him on their shoulders at all?
B- Lift him, but only for about 10 yds?
C- Lift him, and carry the whole way off the field?
D- Other

GO TERPS !!!!!

Posted by: frostanna | December 22, 2010 6:43 AM | Report abuse

@ernie I agree that it's not likely the bowl committee members are sitting around reading the Terps Insider. however, if you read Smitch6087's comments that is not exactly what he said. He wrote "His blog entries were picked up by other media outlets and were used as justification for not selecting the Terps." The first part of that is not debatable, news from this blog is often picked up elsewhere and was especially so during the lead up to the bowl selection. The second part is harder to prove but I suspect bowl committee members do read the news. What they read and how that affected their decision is impossible to know, but it's not very hard to imagine them reading the false reports that MD fans don't travel well.

@frostanna regardless of the game's outcome, and regardless of Ralph's size and weight, I can't possibly imagine he will be carried off the field given the circumstances. I expect quite a sullen mood among our coaches. I am almost looking forward more to Friedgen's press conference after the game than I am to the game itself. The bet here is he won't be in any way subtle in his criticism of Anderson.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Barno, my poll was done in fun, hope everyone realizes that.. Ralph may not want it, but he might have no choice.. If I'm a player, I'm showing my loyalty to my coach by carrying him off the field, taking him right over to the band, singing the fight song one last time.. Hopefully, Anderson won't be around to kill the moment for Ralph and his players.. Go Terps !!!

Posted by: frostanna | December 22, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Barno & Smitch. Even it it's true Bowls rely on blogs or other media outlets for information, the blame is on them for not doing serious research on their own to find out who travels well. I just can't see pointing a finger at any blog writer or columnist for being the reason UMD ended up in DC. Just my opinion, not trying to start an argument.

Posted by: erniegogo | December 22, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I am perfectly happy with 8-4 seasons and 40,000 fans a game.
______________________________

That, my friend, is why you aren't running a major college athletic program.

Mediocrity has run amok in College Park (and our society) for way too long. Personally, I blame it on youth soccer where EVERYBODY gets a freakin' medallion or trophy. Ridiculous!

Let's shoot for excellence ("greatness"), like Dr. Loh said.

Posted by: MerlinTerps | December 22, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Ernie, that's how it goes around here for Fargo1 and his Cabal. They just love shooting the messenger. Yeah, I agree, just a wee-bit sad.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 22, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm not blaming Prisbell for the Military Bowl, not directly anyway. I place the blame more on the fans who only come out to Byrd for the big games.

On another note, I finally got around to watching Kevin Anderson's press conference. 2 things: 1) He does not come off as a smart guy at all. 2) Boy does he make George W. Bush look like Ronald Reagan. The guy makes Joe Biden look like President Obama in front of a mic. He is just an awful, awful public speaker. He kept stuttering and stumbling over his own words, it was hard to watch. I take it he did not major in oral communication?

Now we know why almost all of his comments up until this point have been through press releases...the guy is better seen not heard. Then I read the Bmore Sun piece today about how tension has been building between Anderson and Friedgen for weeks. In Anderson's interview with Jeff Barker, he comes off as immature and petty. It was shocking to read his comments coming from a Division I Athletic Director. He says Friedgen's lawyer publicly saying Fridge deserves an extension was so off-putting to him that it was a factor in why he fired him. "I had to take that into account." Woah. Are you serious? (and I will give TerpfanMA credit on this, he called that). Seriously, who does this dictator think he is? Talk about petty. That should not have been a factor at all in the decision to fire a great coach. I can't believe he actually admitted that.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Fargo1, while you're at it tell us all about the TONS of MD fans that travelled out to San Fran........................

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 22, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Can someone tell me when it was that I got banned?

Thanks......

Posted by: ralph_melish | December 22, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

the ironic twist to all of this is that WVU and NC State are both having trouble selling their allotments. More surprisingly for WVU, but I think the economy is finally catching up to football fans from poorer states. Aside from the false notion that Terp fans don't travel to bowls, bowl officials from the emerald, Gator and Orange bowls have previously stated that MD fans spend when they get to the bowls. I think some of these officials got caught up in Prisbell's false innuendos about MD fans...while attendance was not great because many casual fans became disinterested with the program, the core fanbase still came to games and these are the fans that travel to bowls and spend money. MD was the highest per capita state in terms of personal wealth, some of that obviously translates to terp fans spending discretion.

Posted by: minhle1 | December 22, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Barno,

As I have mentioned before, I support KA. My only criticism is the total lack of tact in dealing with getting rid of Fridge. Having to re-vamp his coaching staff, while not being able to tell recruits that he would be there for their entire four years would have absolutely killed recruiting, which was never a Fridge strong point in the first place. I think KA's hand was forced and he showed a lot of foresight (and no tact whatsoever) in dealing with this bad situation now.

I suspect that when the dust settles, KA will make a very good hire and JF will be the villain.

Posted by: larry31 | December 22, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Dixon,

Terp fans broke the record for ACC team fans at the Emerald bowl, largely because there are many terps in Cali. The school held some of its biggest fundraising functions and alumni events in SF. It's a little bit idiotic to try to make a point of how a school doesn't travel based on games across the country-no ACC school travels well there. MD sold out its 5000 allotment and brought many more fans.

Posted by: minhle1 | December 22, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Hey, someone wanna tell me when I got banned too?

More importantly, I think the poster who is trying to get various posters banned (whether it be through copy and pasting posts and sending them to various people at the Post, etc.) should actually stand up and identify themselves.

Wonder if "the banner" has the stones to fess up though..........

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | December 22, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Minhle1, Don't worry I know. I was just yanking Fargo1's chain since I was actually at the Emerald Bowl. UMD-Boycotter Fargo1 most likely wasn't.

But no worries, he's boycotting UMD so it's of no consequence.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 22, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Wow, a certain someone really has lost it

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Poopy can you write one comment without mentioning barno1/fargo1? You seem to be a tad bit obssessed. Just saying.

You do see you are acting a little crazy, don't you Poopy?

Posted by: terp4lifer | December 22, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Barno, why do you think so many fans didn't show up for games this year? Was it because of Ralph's 2-10 record last year? Or the fact that the program has been at .500 for the past 7 years while the quality of play became consistently mediocre? Can you explain why fans gave up on season tickets or suites that Ralph wanted have gone unleased?

You think Anderson isn't smart, what would you do with Ralph given that he's underperformed his current contract? Ralph wanted a long term deal, how long would you give him given his age, his inconsistent program, his lack of interested assistants and his general inability to recruit? You're so smart, give us the answer. The people closest to the program know a future agreement with Ralph would locked the program in mediocrity.

Posted by: minhle1 | December 22, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Also you've used cabal about 50x this week. Did you just learn what it means? Your vocab seems pretty limited Poopy.

Posted by: terp4lifer | December 22, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Enough Poopy-Dixon. We get it. We really do. You hate barno, he makes you angry. That's great, we care. We really do.

How bout some commentary on the topic instead of picking anonymous fights on a message board?

Glad we'll have at least 10,000 fans at the game, but probably a lot more since people like me didn't buy tickets through the school. Sect 449 will be rockin for the Fridge.

Go Terps!

Posted by: jj94_Terp | December 22, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

As for the Emerald Bowl, gotta thank sub-5.00 (and now fired) Fridge for that.

What else needs to be said?

Oh wait, it's not Fridge's fault, it's totally Prisbells. Yeah, that's the ticket, it's totally the fault of a blogger.........

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 22, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

@minhle1, good questions

"why do you think so many fans didn't show up for games this year? Was it because of Ralph's 2-10 record last year? Or the fact that the program has been at .500 for the past 7 years"

All of the above, plus the economy, and the home schedule this year wasn't as appealing as in previous years. Definitely more than one factor.

"Ralph wanted a long term deal, how long would you give him given his age, his inconsistent program, his lack of interested assistants and his general inability to recruit?"

I would have given him at least a 3 year deal. That would have allowed him to coach through the DOB era. I don't worry about his age so much...there are guys coaching big time programs in their 80s. Friedgen's weight had always been a concern to many and he took it real seriously a year ago by dropping 100 lbs. I think if he could have continued down that path, there's no reason to think he couldn't coach at least 5 more years. He clearly wanted to and the bet here is he will elsewhere.

"Lastly, what do you make of Ralph not taking accountability for past issues, or his shutting off the boosters and cancelling events like the breakfast after losses? What about the multiple occasions during at least two seasons where he admitted in quotes that he couldn't reach the players?"

Interesting comments, first time I've seen those here. Not sure why he canceled the breakfast, but if he did that during a 2-10 season I think that's your answer. As for reaching players, I think he reached them this year don't you?

"do you also know that insiders will tell you that most of the players cared more for Franklin than they did Ralph?"

That's not true. Ask Torrey Smith that question. Ask Wujciak. The players loved Friedgen.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

__________________________

Hah! I noticed that too. Maybe he should read a book instead of spending so much of his time obsessing over barno.

Posted by: jj94_Terp | December 22, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I know it's pointless debating point for point with poopy/dixon but I don't know how many times I can say I don't blame Prisbell before he gets it.

@terp4lifer you hit the nail on the head. Poopy is a nutcase

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

First a note on the subject of this post by Steve: It's good that we have sold our allotment, but that is hardly surprising. I hope we keep promoting the game and sell many more tickets. Beyond the opportunity to give the coach a nice send-off, it will be a great message for our team.

The attacks on this board are always interesting. Dixon, who I think is great, teases Fargo for his behavior over the last week (well make that the last 5 years). Fargo responds, while licking his wounds over the threat to mediocrity, with a full frontal personal attack. Precious. The he actually gives me some props (comparatively and insincerely) to blast Dixon again. Hopefully the straight jacket is on the way. If that isn't enough, smitch launches yet another attack on Eric Prisbell, blaming the messenger. Now cmon folks, get real. Eric does a fine job on TI. He is a conscientious reporter. He reports the facts when he has them and he is willing to raise questions and share opinions. But he gets attacked relentlessly by the Koolaid drinkers who really only want cheerleaders to tell them what they want to hear. One has to be very ignorant to think that reporting and commentary on a site like this influences the decisions of the bowl officials. So Fargo and all of your minions, wise up. But I guess that would be asking too much.

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Barno,

the schools that keep older coaches are Penn State and FSU, football institutions with coaching LEGENDS. Ralph is not remotely in the ball park.

I appreciate those in charge looking at Ralph's body of work and overall trend when deciding on a new multi-year contract. when you consider that over the past 7 years, he's been paid over $15M and has produced a .500 record, while going to only the Champs, emerald, human and military bowls. His program is the epitome of mediocre.

People like to talk about what took place before Ralph, and for that we owe him gratitude. However, he's been paid hansomely and we were the only school that even gave him a HC chance. But going back to the Vandy, duffner years. The school made no commitment to the program. the coaches and their staffs were woefully underpaid and the results showed on the field. the school has since committed to football, spending a lot of money this past decade. The investment needs to have a yield and Ralph is not doing it. Fans are not interested in Ralph's football anymore, face the reality. I've been following MD football since the early 80's and the past few years have been more frustrating than any other period i can remember, even the down years of the 90s. why, because we are not in the 90s anymore and we have better expectations that are in line with the investment the school and fans had made.

Posted by: minhle1 | December 22, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Echoing others, the dixonthedog schtick is getting really annoying. Can you please stop? Some of us come here for Terps news and like to read the thoughts of the fans, not some retarded internet feud.

Thanks.

Posted by: MTerps98 | December 22, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Well said pete. Especially the part about the kool-aid drinkers/cheerleaders simply wanting a "reporter" to just tell them what they want to hear.

Talk about crazy....

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 22, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Easily one of the best threads of the year... hilarious.

Posted by: SirPelleas | December 22, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Barno wrote:

This is the problem. Fridge couldn't tell recruits that he would be there all four years, which would have killed recruiting. MD football would have stagnated, or regressed for the next five years.

I suspect that KA didn't wait until after the Military Bowl becasue JF was trying to raid the coaching cupboard at MD.

Posted by: larry31 | December 22, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

minhle1,

there's several ways you can frame it. You like to keep focusing on the last 7 years rather than the 10 years as a whole. Another way to paint the picture is to say we have been in the ACC title hunt 3 times since 2006 (06, 08, 10). Another way is to say that 2-10 was an obvious aberration and if you look at his other 9 seasons, his record was pretty damn good (ACC title contenders in 6 of those 9 years).

But it's your prerogative to put as negative a spin as possible on his tenure, taking out Friedgen's best 3 years and focusing on the other 7. I prefer to look at the whole body of work: 7 bowl games in 10 years, 6x in the ACC title hunt, crushing our bowl opponents while going 4-2 in bowl games, a .600 overall winning percentage (even with a 2-10 season which brought that down a lot), attendance records, 20 of 25 biggest crowds in Maryland history occuring in the last 10 years.

The big picture is a lot brighter than the one you paint.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Anderson stood up like a man, covered all the key points and answered every question. He refrained from providing specifics about why he didn't think Friedgen was the right coach to take the program to the level of excellence we are seeking. This would only have created more public flack about the coach. That was the right call. He also acknowledged that Leach is on the list and refused to name other specific candidates. That was also a good call. Everyone knows Leach is a candidate, but why should he start throwing out other names. I hope he doesn't say another word about it until he names the coach. Fargo blasts Anderson because he didn't display the public speaking skills that Fargo wanted to hear. Like that really matters. He gets an A for content. I don't care if his delivery is but a passing grade.

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Here is the holiday card just sent from Maryland's Athletics Department (note the pixilated face in the middle of the photo and the large graphic posted over the picture at the end of the video to make the pixillation less apparent):

Posted by: kgrub | December 22, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kgrub | December 22, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

According to news reports, current ticket sales for Champs Sports Bowl:

WVU - sold 4,400 out of 12,500 allotment

NCSU - sold 9,000 out of 13,500 allotment (although one news report indicates that they sold less than that)

Congratulations to the Sports Champs Bowl -You reap what you sow!

Posted by: smitch6087 | December 22, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Fargo is launching his defense of GW campaign, just running the same argument up the flag pole about Friedgen. Kind of a trial balloon. Look at the last 10 years. They look pretty good on basketball. Take out the first 3 and look at the last 7+. It isn't pretty. This is not and attack on GW even though that is how it will be interpreted. It is simply making a point that performance matters over a 5+ year time frame. I'm not diminishing the NC and the other FF. That's why GW gets more slack than Ralph. At some point, however, we can't live on the one NC and two FF's forever.

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Petecard, It's hard to know what you really believe and I'm being totally serious right now. You appear to be delighting in the firing of the man you once claimed you were a "really big supporter of". If you were a really big supporter of him why would you be so happy he got fired? It's one thing to be indifferent but to be so over the top excited by Friedgen's exit runs counter to your previous assertions that you were a really big fan of his.

To me it just seems fake on your part. You side with whatever is the minority opinion always and this often puts you in a position where you are contradicting yourself. If I'm wrong, just explain how you can be so excited about the firing of the man you said you were a really big supporter of.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Fargo, this is again your typical propaganda spew. With your proven ability to Google quotes from the past you could clearly pull up my posts about how I have dealt with the coach. But you only pull up parts of comments and don't put them in context. You could even pull up one's where I have said that I changed my mind. But that's not how you roll and every regular on this blog knows it. Fargo, there is one other aspect of life that you just don't seem to comprehend: circumstances change. I am not going to bore everyone like you do with re-posting the 10's or scores of comments that make my position clear. But I will delight in your current predicament. You may no longer be able to get your Koolaid from the University.

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Ok, so the circumstances changed. Ever since you said you were a big supporter of Friedgen he went 8-4 and won ACC coach of the year. So you were a "really big supporter" but then he went out and won ACC COY...and now you are happy he's fired.

Do I have that right now? Are those the circumstances you are talking about?

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

"smitch launches yet another attack on Eric Prisbell, blaming the messenger. Now cmon folks, get real. Eric does a fine job on TI. He is a conscientious reporter. He reports the facts when he has them and he is willing to raise questions and share opinions. But he gets attacked relentlessly by the Koolaid drinkers who really only want cheerleaders to tell them what they want to hear. One has to be very ignorant to think that reporting and commentary on a site like this influences the decisions of the bowl officials."

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Stay classy petecard, I haven't insulted you, so please just stick to the issues, okay?

FACT: In the days leading up to the bowl selection, Prisbell wrote numerous blogs claiming "Terp fans don't travel well" and used home attendance figures to support his claim. He NEVER discussed the actual attendance figures from prior bowl games. Now, this may meet petecard's definition of a "conscientious reporter," but it doesn't meet mine.

FACT: Prisbell's comments were picked up by other news media outlets, including newspapers in Carolina and Florida. You don't belive me? Do a google search and find out. The only question is whether this influenced the selection - I think it did, petecard doesn't think it did. We will have to agree to disgree, but I don't think that I am "ignorant" for thinking this.

Also, petecard posts "It's good that we have sold our allotment, but that is hardly surprising." I think that is a surprise to Eric Prisbell - days after the bowl selection he wrote a panicky blog about the lack of ticket sales and that Maryland & bowl officials were worried. He quoted the bowl director, who predicted dire consequences for the program unless they sold their allotment. If Eric Prisbell is such a "conscientious reporter," why hasn't he written just one post admitting that he was wrong about Maryland fans and that they do support their team in bowl games? He hasn't written squat and people like petacrd aren't impressed by the ticket sales. I guess that no matter what they do, Maryland fans just can't win with Prisbell. Or with petecard.

Posted by: smitch6087 | December 22, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Wow. It seems Poopy is off his medication today. Bottom line, bonehead move to fire Friedgen if we don't land Leach. If we wind up with Locks, Edsall or Willingham, it's a disaster. Why would you fire the ACC COY when you go 8-4 and have 90% of your starters coming back the next year? Only UMd could blow our best chance at an ACC title since 2001. But that's what you get when you hire an unqualified AD.

Posted by: aviscardo | December 22, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I like how Fargo1 says that we were in the "title hunt" 6 times. Uh, how many times did we actually win the title Fargo?

Gotta love that kind of nonsense. Like just "being in the mix" for a title is enough for the mediocrity crowd. You keep your expecations moderately low.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 22, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

i like how my dead dog's mocker thinks Gator Bowl, Peach Bowl, Orange Bowl, Champ Sports Bowl are low expectations. Gotta concur, this guy is off his meds lately.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 22, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Dixon,

Posted by: minhle1 | December 22, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------

Minhle1, you make a great point there and Dixonthedog/PoopyMcPoop looks like an idiot with that question.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

smitch, you make some good points. I still don't think bowl officials are swayed by commentary/reporting like Eric's, but we can disagree on that. I don't disrespect Maryland fans. Mt comment was simply that 10,000 tickets sold for a local bowl game doesn't seem like much to me. I think we will get much more support (a higher turnout) than that. You may recall that I did not enter into the "converation" about ticket sales. That's because I never felt that our collective opinions on this board or the reporting by the writers from WaPo mattered. I actually got sick of all the whining about how well we travel. That's just my opinion.

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Always good to see the back and forth..it makes this board so much more interesting than just hearing from 30 people refusing to support UMD Football...

And Barny, I saw your retraction of the threat to stop supporting UMD..well done! I wont give you any grief because I never took it seriously in the first place and even if it were, we all reserve the right to change our minds over time...although not participating on the board at the time, I was a huge believer in Ralph during the first half of his reign as HC and soured on him gradually later...nuff said about that..

College athletics are a business and like a business they only work if both parties are enriching themselves...as soon as it becomes "one way", it doesnt last too long and that is what happened here...

I wrote before that ironically, history will show that the timing will prove to be very beneficial to Ralph..he will now forever be remembered as going out with one of his better seasons...imagine if he had come back next year and only won 6 games or less!

If you have been a UMD fan since the 80s, you have seen 6 football coaches, 3 basketball coaches, and close to 1500 players rotate through the system...it happens and sometimes the best that you can hope for is to go out on top, even if it is forced on you...

Ralph now has 1 more job to do and it may be his toughest in light of everything....I am looking forward to the game next week and finding out who our next coach is!

Go Terps!!!

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 22, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

No, Fargo, you don't have it right. I said he earned the right to coach next year. I supported the idea that he could earn an extension based on next year's results, say half-way through the season with some quality wins. I didn't know that Anderson's view of his coming back was based on key members of the staff continuing in their roles as assistants. With Franklin leaving and taking others that changed the landscape for Anderson. He talked to the coach and the coach didn't want to be a lame duck either. He wasn't ever going to give Friedgen an extension and none of us knew that. I respect the decision Anderson made. I am, under the current circumstances, enthusiastic about where we are headed. I feel badly for Friedgen, but my loyalty has never been to him or any one person. I don't have nearly the same regard for his record at Maryland as you. I don't think you will grasp what I am saying but it is written more for the others on this board than for you.

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Well,thank goodness Mr. Beck can relax and reap the bowl rewards from Ralph being shown the exit door at Md.I wonder if he'll have Md's name on that bowl next year,too,like he lobbied halfway through this season to make sure the deed was done?I don't forget that fast how we were tagged too early on and no ACC response!

Posted by: worcsterguy | December 22, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"The excitement is building"??? lol Please, Eric. You really are getting paid by the RFK bowl organizers.

Posted by: steven09 | December 22, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

BTW.....Champs Sports Bowl ticket sales are poor....Do a story on that!

Fact is that Terps fans travel every bit as well as NC State and, this year it seems, even better than WVU.

Oh the excitement of it!!!! ;-)

Posted by: steven09 | December 22, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Another coach has been mentioned as fridge successor

Jim Harbaugh of Stanford...WOW!!!

Posted by: carolina1 | December 22, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

My goodness! Are all you MD alum out of work? How do you have add time to add all these messages? For those that feel that MD got disrespected by being invited to the Military Bowl, do not worry!! Next year MD will not be .500 so you will be staying home for the holidays.

Posted by: gbrown4 | December 22, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if "the banner" has the stones to fess up though ..... Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | December 22, 2010 9:20 AM
-----------------
I wish it hadda been me. You should be banned just for that infantile name you post under.

Posted by: shanks1 | December 22, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Barno, the reason i focused on the last 7 years is because (1) it's generally the post expansion period (2) it's more current (3) it reperesents a sustain trending (4) it's ralph's results with his recruited players (5) and MOST impportantly, it's generally the period of his current contrat and when he convinced the school to invest millions into the program and the stadium.

With all of that said, i can appreciate some of the good things. In 2006, we over performed. Yow left him in a tough spot with the pay for assistants and it didn't help in retaining Taaffe and Blakeney, as well as attract others. Fan interest was good through 2008...as much as people like Prisbell are clueless to it, We averaged 50-52K from 2003-2007. that's nearly the sell out of the capacity pre expansion, which was about 53K.

Now to the bad. He's alienated himself from several supporters. During 2 separate seasons, there were issues with him not connecting with his players. The overall play on all sides of the ball has been mediocre to poor for the most part. his offense has been terrible at times. His handling of QB's has been generally detrimental to the program, from Statham, Hollenbach, Steffy to Turner to Robinson to DOB. And to save the best for last, in the weak ACC, where FSU has not dominated the division, MD has been in the hunt for a few seasons...and you know what our record is during the last two games of the year while the division or a bowl berth has been on the lines? 3-13! That's right, 3-13. So save us the story about how we're in the middle of it...in the ACC any average team is in the middle of it. But when it came to winning the division or getting that last win for a bowl, we are a whopping 3-13. There's no positive spin to it, you need to come clean with the FACT that Ralph's program has underperformed for the most part in the past 7 years, with his players. you cannot say one team or one group of team, he's been consistently inconsistent and you don't reward that type of performance with an extension in any business, let along football, the money driver for most ADs. We've left enough money on the table with Ralph, there's no more tolerance for that level anymore. The fans have voted with their absence, the empty seats far outweigh any sense of loyalty you may have. quite frankly, the blah level of football has gotten old.

Posted by: minhle1 | December 22, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I think the 10K seats sold through the school for a really crappy bowl, mid week during the holidays is a good sign of support. this isn't the carolina teams going to Charlotte for a better bowl against better competition. MD will likely have 15-20K fans because of tickets through outside sources, you talk to any official and they'll tell you it's impressive. And quite frankly, it's IN LINE with the bowl travel rep of MD that Prisbell purposely tarnished because his lack of understanding about MD fans. The core fans have always travelled and have spent money...the history SPEAKS for itself except that lazy Prisbell chose not to understand that fact. MD fans have never traveled to road games, but when it came to bowls, we've more than reperesented ourselves in tickets and spending. the Champs is learning this first hand because WVU and State fans stay at Motel 6s and Holiday Inns and don't spend money when they travel. Gator Bowl officials commented how MD fans spent a lot of money compared to WVU fans in 2004.

the ticket sales results puts to bed Prisbell's agenda of painting a bad light to md fans-he is as responsible as any other for perpetuating a lie that seemed to have affected decisions.

While he's demonstrated good insight and resources during the firing, I stand by my impression that he's an incredibly lazy writer who has a little bit of an agenda against MD after terp fans along with Feinstein and Kornhesier ridiculed his
"investigative" reports of recruiting.

Posted by: minhle1 | December 22, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Ah, more commie/pinko style thinking. If you don't like what someone has to say or what their name is, just give them (or try too give them) the boot.

You'd do well in Russia.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 22, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Ah, yes, more of "it's the bloggers fault."

Classic.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 22, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

MD sells all their tickets for the Prisbell Bowl.

UConn can't sell more than 4,000 for the Fiesta Bowl.

WVU and NC State have yet to sell their ticket allotment for the Chumps Sports Bowl. More than likely,since they are both state schools, the taxpayers will have to pony up the money.

To all those who said the Terps "don't travel well", in the words of Kool Moe D, "How ya like me now?"

Posted by: ecglotfelty | December 22, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse