Posted at 6:16 PM ET, 12/23/2010

Terrapins football team visits the White House

By Kathy Orton

Although they haven’t ventured far from home for their bowl game, the Maryland Terrapins are taking full advantage of their time in the nation’s capital in preparation for the Military Bowl. On Wednesday night, the team attended the Wizards game. On Thursday night, they planned to watch the Capitals play the Penguins.

Earlier Thursday, after a practice in College Park, the team visited the White House, courtesy of House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.).

“It was very nice of Steny Hoyer to arrange that for us and greet us there,” Maryland Coach Ralph Friedgen said.

For Friedgen, it was his first time visiting the White House.

“It was nice,” he said. “Big house, lot of rooms. It didn’t look like anybody lived there. . . . The rooms are smaller than I thought they would have been.”

Friedgen was surprised to learn the White House had been burned and took notice of a few of the historical paintings.

The Terrapins brought about 100 people to the White House, but not everyone was allowed to enter. Two players – junior fullback Haroon Brown and senior defensive back Michael Carter – were refused admittance by the Secret Service. Brown had a mix-up with his birth date and last name, and Carter, who is Canadian, didn’t have his passport with him, according to Friedgen.

On his Twitter account, Brown tweeted: “Man I’m [ticked] I couldn’t get in. They had my birthday wrong.”

By Kathy Orton  | December 23, 2010; 6:16 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland's John Donovan will call plays at Military Bowl
Next: Ralph Friedgen's last stand: It's Military Bowl day

Comments

Great to see the players are able to enjoy some of our country's history but sad to see a couple players could not get in.

Posted by: Nemo4 | December 23, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Friedgen was surprised to learn the White House had been burned...

_______________________

grounds for firing right there...

c'mon man!

Posted by: MerlinTerps | December 23, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Come on. They were on the Maryland football team.They weren't from Saudi Arabia or Yemen.

Posted by: spoton1 | December 23, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I guess Fridge wasn't a US history major.

Posted by: break20 | December 23, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Security matters. Why should we be making ANY exceptions. I would NEVER vote for Obama, but I would ALWAYS support security for Potus. He is my President, even if I don't like him (personally) nor support his policies.

Posted by: petecard | December 23, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

If I'm not mistaken, Brown openly practices Islam. Coincidence? Hmmmm....suspect.

And yeesh Ralph...how do you not know that the British torched the White House when they invaded the US in the War of 1812? The torching was in response to US troops burning down the the provincial British capital of Canada in York (Toronto).

Ok...maybe too much info there. My apologies!

Posted by: WheelsRI | December 23, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Tom Dienhart of Rivals.com just tweeted:

"I am hearing that Mike Leach's candidacy at Maryland is "losing juice.""

If this is the case and Anderson doesn't hire someone of similar success and recognition as Leach, Kevin Anderson will have put MD's football program on the Death Penalty.

If he has any brain in that head and really did read "Good to Great" and not just the dust cover of the book, could he be that stupid to fire Ralph and replace him with a complete nobody? Talk about strategic decisions...he better deliver a big-time coach or he'll be lucky to draw 19K fans to any game.

Posted by: WheelsRI | December 23, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

BSun is reporting the same thing...for some reason the hiring of Pat Richter seems to be negatively impacting Leach's candidacy.....here is what they say:

Richter, who has been an independent contractor for DHR, a Chicago-based executive search firm, since 2004, has worked previously with Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson on searches at Army.

Among his most prominent recommendations nationally were Jim Harbaugh and Johnny Dawkins at Stanford.

Told of a message board reaction that Richter's hiring might have derailed the candidacy of former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, Richter said, "He's an interesting guy. I don't know if anyone knows the whole story (of what happened with former player Adam James). Nobody has been ruled out."

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 23, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Petecard,

I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that you and I are on the same page in regards to the current President and the security of any POTUS.

Your buddy Poopy will not be happy however, as he is a far left whack job. Which is obvious because of his previous jabs at Fox news and GW Bush.

Posted by: Section505203 | December 24, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

For Friedgen, it was his first time visiting the White House.

-------------------------------------------

Posted by: randysbailin | December 24, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

AND.....Any coach who would expose his players to the corruption going on there DESERVES to be fired.

Posted by: AliveStillKickin | December 24, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Question for the board:

Who won the war of 1812 in British text books? Canadian text books?

Note that Japanese school children learn NOTHING ABOUT WWII other than the US dropped atomic bombs on innocent civilians.

I always use the War of 1812 as an example where rational people can have(irrationally) divergent opinions based on how the data is presented to them and who is doing the primary interpretation. Similar to the way many of us have divergent opinions of RF's success (include 2001-03 / exclude the glory years?).

Just like when I was in grade school, the Vietnam war was never once mentioned...the fall of Saigon I never heard about until Vietnam movies came into vogue in the 1980s. My kids are barely aware of the Afghan war, but to be fair, my 11 yo came in singing "war is over, if you want it," a la Yoko Ono when the forces were reduced to 50k in Iraq (then did a bunch of research on the 25k still in korea AND the 100s Ks still in Europe as the last vestiges of WWII).

So like the great artist, despised by oh-so-many but loved deeply and sincerely by the one who mattered most to her:

A very merry xmas (or insert politically correct seasonal holiday but don't get too offended - I'm a Hindu), and a happy new year, lets hope its a good one, without any fear.

Warm Regards to all -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 24, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

enough witht personal bs..focus on next coach and rumors regarding that matter...some folks like to see themselves in print...

come on man

jim harbaugh is now in the unt...as of last night events

Posted by: carolina1 | December 24, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Is Harbaugh remotely a serious contender or part of a laundry list?

How much effort is going into the search at this point beyond naming the search committee? I mean it is a holiday and all.

Was listening to Baltimore sports radio earlier this week and one of the announcers made a key point:

They spent more time talking about Terps football that day than they had to date through the season. If KA had intended to raise brand awareness and general interest, he sure succeeded. The week of the NCST win, they spent far more time talking about the Os offseason moves than Terps FB and bowl selection (with of course most of the discussion on the Ravens).

Interestingly enouch, I switched over to 106.7 (DC Sports radio) and THEY made the same point about the Terps.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 24, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AliveStillKickin | December 24, 2010 11:37 AM

So would a Hindu in the WH bug you? Just making sure because when my kid ends up as president 25 years from now, if it does bug you, I want to make sure he enjoys the fact that it DOES bug you.

regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 24, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm really not for injecting politics into the TI commentary although sometimes it is hard to avoid. Sorry that I dipped my toe in the tub water... I will try to be more careful. There is plenty of room for people of all/most political views on this forum to talk Terps Athletics. Merry Christmas or Happy what ever you are celebrating this Holiday Season.

Posted by: petecard | December 24, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Pete -

I agree and my last post would probably be held against my kid if he ever ran for any office.

I like the idea of a side board where TIs can post over any topic. Would love to hear you & TFMA compare notes on the Bosox & Yankees, but this isn't the forum.

And I will admit that I do find some of the politcial discources quite illuminating.

I WISH there were MORE to discuss from the NJIT game. No surprises. I thought there was a stretch where DG+JW+JP were on the court at the same time. Anything else worth noting from the game?

I din't take any clue from it for the mid-January stretch.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 24, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Can the Maryland football program be humiliated any further? Now they have to be subjected to spend time with Obama? My god! You couldn't pay me enough to get near that pinko traitor!

Posted by: Capitalist-1 | December 24, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Hugh, Pete, and anyone else should be able to post about any topic they want..it's not like there is a limited number of space on here. If people don't want to read that stuff then skip past it.

As for the player being denied because of a mix up with his date of birth, I don't know who is to blame for the screw up but the school should have done whatever it took to clear up the misunderstanding in time for him to gain access. The kid who didn't bring his passport, well, that's his fault and no one else can be blamed there.

As for Ralph not knowing the white house had been burned, I'm not going to judge him on that. Maybe he learned it in junior high or high school like most of us did and sometime in the past 50 years forgot it. Is Obama an idiot for thinking there were 58 states in America? Is Bush an idiot for thinking misunderestimated was a word? No, more likely they just weren't thinking at those particular moments.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 24, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

There are some other college guys (whittingham, malzahn) who at least seem like college guys and could be decent. Still hoping for leach. ACC would have a tough time keeping up with that O.

Posted by: epdaly | December 24, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Injecting politics into this board will most likely result in a gunfight. We have enough ammunition to dislike each other based soley on our Terps opinions. As for the AD, if we don't land Leach, it's a f'n disaster. I have zero faith in the administration landing a big time coach. Hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: aviscardo | December 24, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

hgr..great comment on harbaugh..yes, he is being considered...Our brand awareness has become alive again!!!!Some folks pay millions of bucks to get this type of coverage...KA has some difficult decisions however if he makes the correct ones..he will be veiwed as a miracle worker...

Hope he makes the correct decisions...We all know that he is directly influenced by Kevin P...nothing wrong with that beacause i believe he will do his best to make a "protect thid house" commercial...this time we will live up to the theme...

terps are getting great press..so take the terps and give 7.....

ps kevin Plank is like lonnie poole here at
nc state..Poole just gave 40 million to nc state and built there great golf course...

keep the rumors and facts coming

merry xmas from the carolina terp

Posted by: carolina1 | December 24, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

carolina1, sounds like you subscribe to the theory that any press is good press, I don't. Reporters at many major media outlets have criticized the handling of this situation with words like "classless" and "embarrassing" and "disorganized lack of leadership." To me, that's not good press. Good press helps you land recruits. Bad press, like this, is used against us by other schools in the recruiting process.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 24, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

After all the press leaks from the AD's office about landing Leach, if he doesn't come, that should be reason enough to fire Andersen. He turned what should have been a post-season (i.e. after the Prisbell Bowl) formality into a public relations nightmare for the university. Any other coach than Leach will not be sufficient.

Willingham? This is not an upgrade. He was average at Notre Dame and ruined UW. Why fire Ralph for Ty when you would be getting more of the same? Harbaugh, Peterson-- they have high profile jobs right now, so coming to MD would not be an upgrade for them...

Posted by: ecglotfelty | December 24, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Barno -

I don't disagree with anybody posting anything. But I would love to see Pete and TFMA's real opinions during a Bosox/Yankees pennant race (although I absolutely loathe the idea of yet another Bosox/Yankees race).

I really don't have a problem with folks posting political views and such so long as they can take the firestorm it entails. I have to say, Pete COULD go to town on the likes of you and me about our Redskins. He usually leaves it to one minor comment the week before and after a Skins/Ginas game.

On a different note, I was offered a bribe today in the form of an alleged christmas gift. A buddy from HS has offered me his season tix to the Ravens next year IF AND ONLY IF I change my allegiance from the Skins (the "how" of how I'd switch my allegiance is its own weird thing involving a local Hindu temple).

My kids said take it. He DONE SOLD them. He has not accepted my "no thanks" yet and claims that he is going to break me down into abandoning the skins and becoming a Ravens fan. He has always hated the skins, watched them win 3 SBs as the guy we all railed on (he was a Colts fan) when they were winning.

Every day he'd bring up the fact that I called him a dumb*ss for paying $1k for his seat license when I was soooo close to getting Skins season tickets after signing up for the waiting list the Monday after we beat Dallas in the championship game for SB VII. Not XVII. VII. Since I was offered the WORST SEATS in Fedex (in 2003)but can buy great seats for less on Stub Hub, mever ended up getting them.

Not planning on switching allegiance. I reserve the right to root for the Ravens, but the skins have to stay my number one team with number two nowhere in sight in the rear-view. I worry about my kids though...

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 24, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

barno1they held my comments for review..

strange but does not surprise me

lets see if they release..if not it will be mt turn to go CIA on presell y and company..

now that will be fun

Posted by: carolina1 | December 24, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

carolina, truth is when they choose to hold your comments for review, there is no review process and the comments never make their way on to the site. Chances are you used a term they deemed inappropriate...this happened to me once when I referenced an announcer whose name was Van D*ke (apparently part of that name is a no no at the Post). The way around this is putting a * in the middle of any potentially inappropriate word.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 24, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

thanks Barno1...did not use as cursr words however used some washinton post names plus used the a covert goverment operative in my responxse

Posted by: carolina1 | December 24, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Well, its not going to be much of a race between the Sox and Evil Empire this year..the Sox just got a lot better and the Yanks are just getting older....but it will be fun to watch...

Just got back into MD yesterday..easy drive, no traffic....looking forward to the game on Wed....I havent been to RKF since a "Scab" game back in the late 80s...where is this Pee River everyone is talking about?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 25, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

terpfanMA...Ya cannot miss it!!! Right next to rfk...be careful because if ya get to close you may grow another leg or develope a 3rd ear...

aka anacostia river...almost as bad as the Hudson but does not have as many bodies floating in it..

Posted by: carolina1 | December 25, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Why on earth would Harbaugh come to Maryland, other than the opportunity to work in the same state as his brother?

I don't believe Harbaugh leaves Stanford unless it's for an elite college job (like Michigan) or an NFL job.

And in the extremely unlikely event he did come to Maryland, how long could you reasonably expect him to stay?

It makes no sense to me that he would take a job that's at best a lateral move, when he's seen as a rising star in the coaching profession.

Posted by: DCNative1975 | December 26, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 25, 2010 12:39 PM

Well I guess that's your Christmas Day proclamation, huh Terpfan? Funny. Especially the use of the "Evil Empire" tag. Just remember, they have ti play the games. In NY, we know our team will always be a factor and we are sure that #28 will come a lot sooner for us than the next one will come for just about everyone else. Does that mean 2011, perhaps not. But I wouldn't bet against it.

Posted by: petecard | December 26, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

To find our new head football coach, we only need to look in one place. -the Va. Tech coaching staff.
Pay the money.
Pick the best recruiter in the area who knows the competition.
Pay the MONEY !
Gee- can the research committee find the guy?
Send me the money and I will give you his name.

Posted by: utilityrep1 | December 26, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Eric,
Great article on Torrey Smith. Well done.

Posted by: aviscardo | December 26, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

utilityterp,,,send your reques to the search committee...that wat you are on record...if you are a terp club person they will submit the request...

if you do not want to do this just give me the name and i will..i am a top terp level so i would like to submit any candidate

how the snow up there is it going to affect the game.. i fly out wed morning

Posted by: carolina1 | December 26, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Carolina 1,
Bud Foster is the coach we need from Virginia Tech. He has been offered numerous jobs before but not in the ACC. He is a defensive game plan genius.
I would buy four more season tickets if we could hire him.
The snow is going to be heavy where I live on the shore but not much in D.C. so we will be ok for the game with temperatures in the high thirties.
I hope Fridge goes out with a standing ovation. This should be our last game as a tier 2 football program.

Posted by: utilityrep1 | December 26, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

thanks utiliterp1,I WILL SEND THE EMAIL TOMORROW ON BUD FOSTER//I FIGURED THAT IS WHO YA MEANT AND I AGREE WITH YA..

HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE SNOW AND FRIDGES LAST GAME..

NO MORE INCOMPLETE SEASONS..IF DOB PLAYS THE WAY HE IS CAPABLE AND THE O LINE GIVES HIM TIME WE WILL LIGHT IT UP...LIKE BOOMERS OLD DAYS

Posted by: carolina1 | December 26, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

CANNOT WAIT TILL END OF JANUARY WHEN THEY RELASE THE DATES AND TIMES OF ALL OUR GAMES...NOW LETS HOPE GARY HAS A GOOD YEAR ESP VS THE OBNIXIOUS PUKES

Posted by: carolina1 | December 26, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Naryland football recruiting:
While I have read many reasons of why 5 star rated players do not go to Maryland, I can assure everyone it is not the academics.
Yes, possibly the location and the weather but
there is something else which is being overlooked. Simply, it is the schedule. Next year, the non conference schedule includes Towson, Temple and Notre Dame. Let's give Towson a 1 point, Temple a 2, and Notre Dame a five for points for drawing a crowd and recruiting players. The next three years we have Temple on the schedule . Wow, that will bring in fans and recruits. To become a tier one program we need to forget the supposedly easy wins (basketball program as well) and play the best toughest possible schedule or at least play Hawai'i, USC or a Texas for nice road trips. How about Penn State,Pitt,Michigan, Ohio State or at least keeping West Virginia on the schedule. We have the foundation for a top ten football team but if we were to run the table with Towson and Temple on the schedule, we might play WVU in the Champs Bowl.
Now is the time to change the schedule philosopy. The new coach should set the goal of playing for the national championship and he needs a road map to get there. Football doesn't have a play off system so why eliminate ourselves from the race because of poor scheduling. Go Terps !

Posted by: utilityrep1 | December 27, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

"Wow, once Big Ralph gets out of the film room he's a pretty dim bulb. Not very inspiring for his STUDENT-athletes.

Posted by: randysbailin | December 24, 2010 11:00 AM"
-->His primary jobs is to know the X's and O's, not to be a history buff or even sell tickets, which actually falls more to the AD and the marketing/ticket sales wings of the Athletic Department. That being said, I'm a bit surprised he didn't know that especially being in the DC area.

"If the HEAD Muslim at the White House isn't required to show proof of citizenship....why should anyone else be?

Posted by: AliveStillKickin | December 24, 2010 11:37 AM"
-->Who are you, Luke Scott?

"Is Harbaugh remotely a serious contender or part of a laundry list?

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 24, 2010 12:30 PM"
-->I doubt Harbaugh would come here, this is not an upgrade over Stanford. Only selling point might be that his brother is the Coach of the Ravens. But I can't see him coming here for any reason unless they offer him an insane contract. He's turned down plenty of other schools, way more prestigious than MD.

I think you hit the nail on the head, KA even said this was a "strategic business decision." So putting his CEO cap, he knew this move would catch the attention of the nation. Since Colorado(my alma matter) and Miami have already hired head coaches, this is one of the more compelling jobs available pending Michigan.

Very sad reality when a coach comes back to his alma matter and does all the right things gets canned to get the national program in the spotlight.

Posted by: break20 | December 27, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

"Harbaugh would be a bad hire because it seems his eyes are on the NFL. If were to come and commit to the job for like 6-7 years, great. But nobody wants to see Harbaugh coach for a year or two then jump to the pros.

Posted by: epdaly | December 24, 2010 2:16 PM"
-->Exactly why we should've kept Fridge. What makes you think Leach won't spend only a year or two here, you think he really looks at as a destination job? Remember Bobby Knight tried to bolt for Ohio State.

"Carolina 1,
I would buy four more season tickets if we could hire him.

Posted by: utilityrep1 | December 26, 2010 2:44 PM"
-->You are one of the many delusional Terp fans out there. If we're a tier 2 program now, we weren't even on the radar the previous 15 years between Ross and Fridge. Maryland football has a niche of fans like any other school, but even in 2000 when we went to the Orange Bowl, there were plenty of other distractions. Go to State College, Lincoln, NE, or Auburn, where football isn't just a game but a way of life.

And no Bud Foster isn't coming here, he's turned down way more prestigious programs before and I think Beamer would steer him away from that idea.

Posted by: break20 | December 27, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epdaly | December 27, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: carolina1 | December 24, 2010 2:25 PM

Not to single out carolina1, but it just drilled home this point.

If this was all about "buzz", then KA just stroked a $2,000,000.00 check for "buzz".

And all we got out of it was bad "buzz". FAIL.

Posted by: mabkhar | December 27, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"What about Leach indicates he is only going to be somewhere for only 2 years? He was at TT for 10.

Posted by: epdaly | December 27, 2010 1:26 PM"
-->Bob Huggins was also at Cincy for a long time too and then bolted when KSU gave him a "second chance." I have no idea of knowing really. But it's not like a whole lot of programs are banging down Leach's door. Miami didn't give him an interview even after Trump suggested they hire him.

The point being Fridge saw MD as a destination job, which it isn't to the vast majority of coaches. I know a lot of people like to think this is Texas, Florida, or Michigan, but it isn't nor do most people want this to be live and die college football. Once they hire a new coach, the talk will quickly turn to Maryland basketball, CAPS, and other things.

Posted by: break20 | December 27, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"Our brand awareness has become alive again!!!!Some folks pay millions of bucks to get this type of coverage...KA has some difficult decisions

Posted by: carolina1 | December 24, 2010 2:25 PM

Not to single out carolina1, but it just drilled home this point.

And all we got out of it was bad "buzz". FAIL.

Posted by: mabkhar | December 27, 2010 1:46 PM"
-->I don't think it was the only factor, but since he did deem it a "business decision," I think he is acknowledging that the program under Fridge despite the wins this year has become "stale." I'm sure people will feel the same way if Leach puts up similar (if not slightly better) numbers to Fridge after 10 years.

10 years is a LONG time in this day and age. The only coach in the ACC with more tenure was Beamer and he's an institution at Tech.

Posted by: break20 | December 27, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

In terms of Leach leaving, he did flirt with other schools. Washington comes to mind, where he didn't inform Gerald Myers(the AD). In his last contract with Tech, Myers made it a point that he had to disclose any schools he was to interview with.

Posted by: break20 | December 27, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Some reporters are surmising that Friedgen could take an assistant coaching job with MD next year, if offered it by the incoming coach. He did say he might be coaching at Byrd next year, though we all assumed he was talking about as a coach from another ACC school. As hard as it is to believe the incoming head coach would retain the outgoing head coach on staff, I would wholeheartedly support it. Friedgen would be the perfect man to run next year's offense so there would be very little transition for Danny O.

Still obviously a very big long shot. But if you're looking to hire an offensive coordinator, who that is available has better credentials than Fridge?

Posted by: Barno1 | December 27, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

mabkhar...not to single you out however get your facts straight...ka did not stroke the check kevin plank did...
opps

Posted by: carolina1 | December 27, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Never say "never," but I think the chances of him ended up back at MD are very unlikely. I can't imagine a new head coach would want him still actively involved in the program. Maybe had Franklin taken over, he could've remained in some sort of advisory role, but I can't imagine a big name like Mike Leach wanting him around.

Posted by: break20 | December 27, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

break20...i would bet my movie money on that..fridge enormous"EGO" would never allow it to happen...His ego has been his problem all along..Recruit he does not know the meaning of the word..

Leach will fill the seats

Posted by: carolina1 | December 27, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Leach will fill seats just like Fridge did at the beginning of his tenure. Nobody will care if he has 7-5, 8-4 seasons similar to what he had for the most part at Tech otherwise.

Also, what prominent football players has Tech produced? Compare that to MD. Advantage Fridge.

His ego got him COY, just like Gary did as well. They both can't recruit, yet there both winners.

Posted by: break20 | December 27, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

break20..Agree with your assessement..Leach will sellout the house early but unlike fridge he will continue to win for years..At least with dob at qb..the question will be how his recruiting will go..I know its early however i see the terps going 9-2 under leach..no major injuries..7 games at home only loss could be west v..4 on road with loss to either fsu or gt..

Fridge will never coach again..his hlth will really fail once he leaves football.sad but true...he did wonders for the terps for many early years but just like joe gibbs th game has passes him by

Posted by: carolina1 | December 27, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Break20, the saintly Friedgen also flirted with Tampa Bay several years ago despite Maryland being his "destination job". Every coach does that.

Posted by: epdaly | December 27, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Epdaly,
Yes, even Paterno thought about leaving Penn State for both the Steelers and Patriots (which his wife helped disway him from taking that job).

The difference to me is that Fridge was not going to leave MD for any college job. The only job I could see him going to was Georgia Tech, which he never seriously considered. If I recall, he turned down both the Falcons and Bucs, but said the reasons for listening was that it would double his salary and he withdrew from both jobs. Pete Carroll interviewed for jobs every year during his USC tenure.

You asked why Leach would leave after being so "loyal" to Tech. Why would he leave Tech for a winless program? The truth of the matter like Knight, he was trying to get out of Lubbuck and who could blame him.

The point being Fridge had such ties to the University, both as a player and assistant coach, he was LESS LIKELY to use the position as a stepping stone. Yeah, sure if Notre Dame offered him an offer he couldn't refuse, I'm sure he would've taken it like many others, but it less likely he would've gone to a school like Washington like Leach tried to do.

Carolina1,
I think 10-2(remember we play a 12 game season now) is definitely something we can accomplish in the ACC. But under Leach it will be the norm not the exception or his @$$ will be out the door. As I said, 7-5, 8-4 are obviously not acceptable anymore. I'm thinking he'll be given 5 years and he's either in or out, 3 if it's a disaster.

The Joe Gibbs comparison is a bit off. First of all, he was away from the game for a good dozen years. Second, I don't recall Joe Gibbs being COY at the end of his tenure. He wasn't as bad in his "second term" as people say, going to the playoffs twice in four years sounds good right now, but at the same time, he didn't win Super Bowls.

Kevin Anderson is completely delusional into thinking he's suddenly the AD of a BIG football school. I got news for you, we don't live and die with every game, every play like those schools nor do we want that. And I say this as somebody who has season tickets to the football team. We got other things going on unlike the people in State College or Gainesville.

Posted by: break20 | December 27, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Break20,,I stand corrected..I forgot about Towson...You are right joe gibbs was away for a number of years however i still feel the comparision of the game has passed you bye sticks!!! Fridge was given coy of the year because the voters felt sorry for him plus if you look at his competition there was not a whole lot...Fridge did not turn this team around it was don Brown defense and danny obrien arm...If fridge boy jamar robinson had not got hurt the terps would have been 5-7 at best ..Insiders will tell ya that 1/2 the players did not like him at all.Riding in a cart at practice, no one on one, no encouragement etc etc,,I am very happy to see him gone..Maybe he can come down here to state and rekindle his relationship with the nighmare yow..

Again i feel leach will elevate our school..

PS i DISAGREE WITH YA ABOUT gAINSVILLE...THERE IS A LOT TO DO!!

Posted by: carolina1 | December 27, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

"Fridge was given coy of the year because the voters felt sorry for him plus if you look at his competition there was not a whole lot"
-->Not disputing that. I'm sure you would have preferred another 2-10 year. Just give some credit where credit is due. It's a weak conference, he improved, he got the award. Not saying he should be appointed Pope here.

"Fridge did not turn this team around it was don Brown defense and danny obrien arm"
-->Fridge just sits in his golf cart all day, I know he had nothing to do with the success. It's the assistant coaches and players and the head coach does absolutely nothing. Again, I realize you will never give Fridge credit for anything.

So when Leach wins next year (if he does) I guess Leach doesn't get the credit, it's Fridge's recruits. I'm just applying you logic, you can't have it both ways.

"Insiders will tell ya that 1/2 the players did not like him at all."
-->That's every coach, ill bet not all the players like Gary either. It's not a popularity contest last time I checked either though, it's about dubyas and elles or as Kevin Anderson would put it about "business" since this position has become a marketing one.

"Riding in a cart at practice, no one on one, no encouragement etc etc,,I am very happy to see him gone..Maybe he can come down here to state and rekindle his relationship with the nighmare yow..

Again i feel leach will elevate our school.."
-->Well when I was at Colorado, we got Hawkins to lead us to the so-called next-level, except we reverted. Look at RichRoid at Michigan. If Leach fails, and we go back to two winning seasons/one bowl game in 15 years, you'll be longing for the Fridge.

"PS i DISAGREE WITH YA ABOUT gAINSVILLE...THERE IS A LOT TO DO!!"
-->I've never been to Gainsville but I have plenty of friends who went there and they seemed to enjoy it. I was making a joke just like I did with those other cities I listed, don't take it personally.

I think you got my point though. The MD fanbase is much more fair-weather and not as dedicated. It's just part of the culture, there is no way MD football gets to that level.

Posted by: break20 | December 28, 2010 12:14 AM | Report abuse

A couple of notes:
1. Scheduling: I realize Towson and Temple don't exactly have fans rushing for the ticket windows. But nearly every school now schedules a FCS team, even the so-called elite programs. Do you think Va Tech scheduled JMU because they felt it was a way to bring fans into the stadium? No, they scheduled it because it was an "easy win". Of course, that backfired on them, which is why they won't be playing for the nat'l championship. And other than the Boise St game (which they choked on too) they infamously pad their schedule with cream puffs with the exception of one game, which they practically lay an egg in every year.

Look, it is not as if the FCS schools don't get something out of it also. Morgan St and Towson don't put MD on the schedule because they like getting pulverized. Thise schools make money by scheduling a BCS/FBS team, plus it gives them an incentive to recruit players. And besides, every once in awhile, a team like JMU, William & Mary, Richmond, or App ST pulls off the upset against the bigger school. (Incidentallly, the CAA has practically become the SEC in the FCS; most of these teams were in the D-1 playoffs and can hang with the big boys)

Temple is a much better team than they have been in the past, plus they are within 90 miles of College Park, so there's some local interest. WVU was the best choice because their was a rivalry between these two schools. We used to play Penn St every year until they joined the Big 10, and that didn't help us much recruiting-wise because they won every year. We started playing Cal for two years, but it seems to only be a fair game if they scheduled the game somewhere in the middle of the country, like in Kansas City. Not every school is open to scheduling MD because they have their own padding, I mean scheduling problems. I'm sure that people would love to see our non-conference schedule to have Texas, USC, and Alabama every year, but it's not going to happen (and watching us get a beat-down every year doesn't seem like much fun to sit through).

And as for the comment about 1/2 the players not like Ralph... well, where are they? Why haven't they chimed in with comments? Frankly, the players that matter the most, like Torrey Smith, Wuj, and DOB, have all come out and stood up for the coach, which says more than a couple of nit-pickers who probably have nothing to do but complain.

Sorry this is so long...

Posted by: ecglotfelty | December 28, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Ecglotfelty,
Not all teams schedule cream puff first of all. My alma matter, Colorado, out-of-conference schedule this year was Colorado State(which is like Navy, at a neutral site), Georgia, Hawaii, and Cal. Sure they've played some cream puffs in years past but they rarely play FCS schools.

Temple is OK with me, just get a BCS school on-board. Say Vandy, now with the Franklin connection. The JMU's, Towsons, and Morgan State only need to be scheduled as a last resort.

And sure Notre Dame, VTech, Florida, etc can schedule as many cupcake games as they want. They also sell them out, something Maryland has trouble doing. They were actually giving away tickets to season ticket holders for the Morgan State games. So once, filling up Byrd isn't a problem, schedule as many "easy" games as they want. If Kevin Anderson is going to complain about the ticket sales, he needs to try to scheduling real opponents.

And I agree with you on the 1/2 comment. You haven't heard any "anonymous" sources saying that Fridge wasn't liked, if anything the opposite. If Torrey Smith doesn't comeback, I think it will be in part because he has to learn a new system. If I we're him and he can be a first round pick or high second round, I'd probably come out.

Posted by: break20 | December 28, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I hope torrey smith does stay..That would be mega points for us..He would be doubled teamed all the time...Va and nc state tried single coverage and we know what happen there...

WOW!! i JUST HEARD THAT LEACH MAY NOT BE THE COACH DUE TO HIS LAWSUIT AGAINIST ESPN AND CRAIG CRY BABY JAMES....THIS IS BULL...IF IT HAD NOT BEEN LITTLE CRAIGEE SON WE WOULD HAVE NEVER HEARD ABOUT THE INCIDENT IF THERE WAS REALLY AN INCIDENT..

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE HEARING ABOUT JUNE JONES AS OUR NEXT COACH..THROWING SAMONAN

Posted by: carolina1 | December 28, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Carolina,
I must ask you if we end up with Locksley or Willingham, will removing Fridge have been worth it?

June Jones, he hasn't exactly been at the helm of a major program and he's up there in age. An upgrade over Fridge, marginal at best and doesn't have the swagger of a Leach. Since Anderson is all about "business," would he bring in the doubtful. Would he even leave SMU, not sure, Texas is a lot more fertile of a recruiting ground than MD.

What would the marketing campaign be, "It's June all year round" or "Keeping up with Joneses (and Smiths)" -if Torrey comes back.

Also, is your allegiance really to Maryland with your moniker?

Posted by: break20 | December 28, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I normally don't gripe about lack of blog updates, but this is really pathetic. We have a bowl game tomorrow. We have the final game Ralph Friedgen will ever coach at UMD. We have Torrey Smith, who is about to announce his decision to enter the NFL draft. We have a basketball game tomorrow at Comcast Center. We have a coaching search going on.

And yet we haven't had a blog update in 5 days?? Seriously, this is beyond pathetic. Prisbell, Yanda, Clarke, Bonesteel, apparently are all on vacation and can't be bothered to update this blog.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 28, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Favorite Ralph memory - beating WVU the second time with their ex-QB-Recruit. How sweet it was. Year 2 of his tenure at MD was for me the best year that we have had SINCE Ross. I'd have to think hard to figure which Ross year was the best. Math-wise, it might have been the best year since Clairborne.

And the singing of the school fight song after victories. THAT was a great tradition that I hope continues.

Favorite Raplh memory?

Can't wait for the WaPo to ask.

Regards -

-hgr
Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 28, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

My favorite personal Ralph memory was a few weeks after the Orange Bowl. I was late to the Duke-Md bball game between the number 1 and number 3 ranked teams in the country. My buddy and I had student tickets even though I had already graduated, but there was not any open seats in the entire student section, so at tip off we were standing at the very top of the aisle.

Standing to my right is my buddy, his first big MD game. And to my left, all of a sudden the already legendary Ralph Friedgen walks up. We were probably the only 3 people in the arena without seats at that moment. Here was the reigning National Coach of the Year, a few weeks removed from the Orange Bowl, and he doesn't even have a seat at a MD game.

I turn and ask him "how did YOU not get a ticket?" Blank stare. He then mutters "because I don't have a ticket." Slightly awkward.

A moment later, an usher walks up and tells all of us--though looking at Friedgen specifically--"you can't stand here, you all have to find seats or leave." Friedgen doesn't pout, doesn't say "do you know who I am?" He simply walks away without arguing.

Eventually we find an area we can stand without anyone bothering us and we watch the rest of the game. Steve Blake's steal/layup from Jay Williams with at the buzzer before halftime causes Cole Field House to explode louder than any moment at any sporting event I've ever been at. The place sounded like a bomb went off.

Sometime during the second half, as MD was cruising to a double-digit lead over the top ranked team in the country, we notice the Fridge has taken 2 courtside seats right behind the basket. Thankfully, it seemed at least someone working at Cole that day knew who he was.

Viva the Fridge

Posted by: Barno1 | December 28, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

break20, You are correct.I need to change my stage name..when i first set this up years ago i just put something in...Yes, Terp club member since 1980( top Terp),All Acc Maryland (baseball)...Sit in section 206 row a..etc etc etc...

i will change that stage name however it gets a lot of folks fired up and stirs the pot..

One last hint..I will be sitting behind the terps bench jan9th at Duke...

who is that masked man

Posted by: carolina1 | December 28, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

@Barno: that was a great ballgame. Thought about scalping my tickets to ... well, pay two months of rent, but I'm glad I didn't.

@HGR: bump for Scott McBrien.

- TI faithful meeting in the depths of RFK tomorrow for a beerup? Do they sell anything worth drinking at RFK?

- The more I hear the rumors, the more I like the idea of Gus Malzahn. There's a nice explanation of his offense from shakinthesouthland.com (a Clemson blog.)

- N.C. State looks to sell out their allotment of Champs Sports Bowl tickets. I am quieted and disquieted. (starnewsonline.com)

GO TERPS!!

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | December 28, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice if someone from the Post would explain the Maryland coverage. Kathy Orton? Mark Gianotto? Where has Prisbell gone? How about a post from Liz Clark? Sure is a lot of Terp stuff going on to have such minimal coverage all of a sudden.

Posted by: erniegogo | December 28, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Ernie, I totally agree. It's almost insulting. So much going on right now in MD football but not so much as an update to the blog in a week. Who knew this visit to the White House was a story with such legs that it could run all the way through the bowl week, Friedgen's departure, and the coaching search. Guess this is the last big story of 2011: Terps tour the White House.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 28, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Correction: guess this is the last big story TIL 2011

Posted by: Barno1 | December 28, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Ralph Friedgen in Mike Wise's column:

"Basically he's [Kevin Anderson] telling me he doesn't think I can do the job, but what has he done? The guy's been here a couple months," Friedgen added. "I don't know if he understands our culture, what we're about."

Go Ralph! I can't wait for this game and for the postgame press conference. Fridge is going to tear Kevin Anderson a new one.

Anderson, you are a classless, dimwitted, joke of an athletic director--and you deserve all that's coming to you tomorrow.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 28, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Along with several others, I feel the WP has dropped the ball with this blog. It was through the Baltimore Sun that I learned about the guy from Auburn and June Jones being mentioned as possible coaches at MD. To those at the Post-why continue this blog if you don't feel any obligation to keep it current?

Posted by: fellowfan | December 29, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse