Posted at 10:08 AM ET, 12/22/2010

Terps To Tackle NJIT Highlanders As If National Champs

By Liz Clarke

After a 10-day layoff for exams, Maryland returns to Comcast Center tonight to face Division I novices NJIT, otherwise known as the New Jersey Institute of Technology.

The Highlanders (2-6), who were granted full NCAA Division I status in the 2009-10 season, have faced an ACC opponent just twice, losing to Virginia, 68-37, and to Boston College, 89-32, last season. And they’re 0-12 against teams from the six major BCS conferences.

Nonetheless, the task facing the 7-4 Terps, according to senior swingman Cliff Tucker, is to treat NJIT as if it’s the reigning NCAA champion. Wednesday’s game is the first of three (followed by North Florida on Dec. 29 and Colgate on Jan 4) leading into Maryland’s Jan. 9 trip to Duke, which signals the start of a grueling January stretch of six ACC contests punctuated by a visit to Big East power Villanova.

When last in action Dec. 12, Maryland squandered a first-half lead and fell to Boston College, 79-75, with familiar foibles undercutting their efforts—including poor free-throw shooting, lax 3-point defense and erratic intensity over 40 minutes.

In the practice sessions since, Coach Gary Williams has made clear that he expects improvement on all fronts. He has staged mini-scrimmages that award points for great defensive plays. He has directed players to devote extra time to free-throw shooting. And he has vowed to bench players who don’t compete with vigor.

“We’ve just got to do all the little things [against NJIT],” Tucker said. “Coach is going to be watching for all the little things. He’s already told us [that] if we’re not playing hard, he’s going to take us out. So we’ve gotta crash the boards, talk on defense, get back in transition, run the offense better get the ball inside to Jordan [Williams]. No matter what the score is, we’ve still gotta play hard. We got to go out there and act like we’re playing Duke.”

NJIT's starting lineup includes two players from Maryland: Freshman center Dytanya Johnson of Waldorf, who was all conference in both football and basketball at Thomas Stone High School; and sophomore guard P.J. Miller of Fort Washington, who played at the Potomac School.

By Liz Clarke  | December 22, 2010; 10:08 AM ET
Categories:  Gary Williams, Men's basketball  | Tags:  Cliff Tucker, Gary Williams, Maryland basketball, NJIT
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland sold out ticket allotment for Military Bowl
Next: Randy Eaton to lead search committee for next football coach

Comments

Gary's gonna lead our team to the NCAA Title this year.

Copy and save that post Fargo1.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 22, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Looks like I'm selling my courtside seats to tonight's game if anyone is interested, don't think I can make it. Post an email or number to reach you if interested.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I already bought the tickets from Barno so no one else from the Kool-Aid Party or FoG's need contact him. Since RMOG's don't go to games, I didnt expect you to be interested.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 22, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Barno1- can you email me at kscudder@verizon.net. I'm heading to the game tonight and I am interested in your seats.

Posted by: FOG1968 | December 22, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Fog1968, Ill keep you in mind next time (or if something changes with Fushezzi).

Terps are undefeated at home the past 2 years when my friend and I have been there. 0-2 when we haven't (Morgan State last year and BC this year). Make sure that trend changes tonight, counting on you Fushezzi.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that sweet!

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

So superfan #1 isn't even going to the game tonight?

For shame.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 22, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Too funny....when I saw NJIT on the schedule I thought it was another tourney we were playing in...as in New Jersey Invit Tourn....

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 22, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 22, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------

You've looked at a schedule this year? Just for sh*ts and giggles or were you going to pretend to go to a game?

Posted by: fushezzi | December 22, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

nice to see that the fandom-brigade is out today.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 22, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I do not wish to banter with you DTD.

40 of your last 45 posts directly name Fargo1/Barno1 and the other 5 are veiled comments toward him.

If it posts like a stalker and sounds like a stalker, well then it must be a stalker.

Please do not direct anymore comments my way. I will continue to banter with Pete and TerpFanMA. While I disagree with just about everything they say, they generally seem like normal people with a different viewpoint. You, on the other hand, I keep picturing as Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs. If Barno goes missing I'm assuming we'll be able to find him in a well in the basement of your house.

"Now Barno puts the lotion in the basket or he gets the hose again."

Posted by: fushezzi | December 22, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Nah i'd be more inclined to make him squeal like a pig. Weeeeeeeee! Weeeeeeeeee!

And who actually goes back and does a tally of who is addressed how many times in posts. Talk about having too much time on ur hands.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 22, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Count me as happy to even see a hoops post. They were severely lacking even before the Fridge/Leach development. Liz, maybe you can take a break from Kornheiser to actually do what you're paid to do - cover Terps basketball for the Post.

Posted by: caphillterp | December 22, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

On the topic of the game (sorry to break up love fest here) it should be interesting to see who starts. This seems like a good opportunity to switch things up.

Posted by: crabcakes | December 22, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

So we have another meaningless game. It will do nothing for our ranking. I know CT is answering a reporter's questions by trying to say nothing, but aren't the things that the team is working on and the coach's holding them accountable things that are supposed to be ingrained from the first day of practice. Is a lack of effort ever tolerated? Haven't they been devoting extra time to free throws since at LEAST the Pitt game? Are great defensive plays as important has consistently hard work and energy at all times on defense? So the comments are really just drivel. We have NJIT tonight, North Florida on the night of the Military Bowl (that's a whole week), and Colgate on the 4th (another week later). Who really thinks that will get us ready for Duke, Wake and Nova starting on 1/9. I don't, but I really, really hope I am wrong.

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Petecard, literally every single time we play a non conference game against a non ranked opponent, you whine and complain about how meaningless it is. Are you really this out of touch with college athletics that you don't realize there isn't a team in the country that doesn't schedule cupcakes every season? Why is that so difficult for you to understand? Seems like an easy concept to comprehend for most, as I never see anyone else complaining about it. But hey, that's your thing Petecard: complain complain complain about all things Terps, even when it makes you look like you don't follow college sports.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

ok, time to weigh in an a feeble attempt to play peacekeeper while secretly enjoying the abuse that is heaped out on the board.

Determining who was the original instigator in the Poopy-barno war is as irrelevant as who-blew-up-who-when-or-worse in the middle east. Some folks CHOOSE not to get along. So sniping, reposting, hot carls (a term I wish to hell fushezzi had not told me to google), accusations about living arrangements and such - all legal and sometimes inventive and funny, albeit almost never accurate. So both fellas are to blame in a fight where neither consistently took a high road except for in the case of temporarily taking the high road as an excuse to get much uglier later on. And MOST OF US ENJOYED IT. Some folks enjoyed it more when Poopy was getting abused, some moreso when it was Barno, some enjoying it all the way around.

But then Poopy_ got banned...which to me seems outside the bounds of fair play. Now I never saw anything remotely threatening from Poopy towards Barno, but I don't read the RI or other boards too often so SOMETHING coulda happened. I understand that the WaPo has some posting rules but enforcing those rules is like the guy who sued MD and effectively ended the cup fights at Byrd (over eight stitches). It takes a whole lot of the fun out of participation (and if they really wanted to pack the stands at Byrd, bring back the souvenier cups...the kids will do ANYTHING for a bit of mayhem and the couches in CP would be a lot safer).
we can talk about free speech/censorship, but in the end, we all want a bit of fun, and for those of us who consider themselves Terps fanatics, this IS the forum, this is the community, and like our school in PG, its a bit profane, far more intelligent than other boards and a bit fractious. More than that, it is a bit of community, an attachment to a shared past amongst most of us.

Now for folks like TFMA, Pete and Poopy, this board is probably EVEN more important than it is to others. They can't easily see the games, their local media pays no attention to the Terps, and they likely have to take crap from folks around them when the Terps lose (I live here and have to take that sort of crap). So if you take away this board, this community, this outlet...they (as would say 20 of us) would by definition go a bit crazy.

to be cont'd -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 22, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2010 2:51 PM

Save this post Fargo. It's the same one you post all the time. You complain about my complaints but you just excuse the issues raised with the statement that everyone does it. We all should be concerned with the team being ready. I don't like the schedule and would have tried to get at least the last two games scheduled a little closer together.

And you know Fargo, that I am not always negative and complaining. Look at how I have reacted to the football coaching changes and process. Who has been negative about that? Read my posts about the Pitt, Illinois and Penn State games. Stop mischaracterizing me.

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

shezzy....I know it is hard for you to believe but it is possible to be a fan of the school and its teams without thinking the coach, or AD, or some of the players are great...I happen to like Gary but (at least for the last 4 years) not been a fan of Fridge (all reasons have been previously posted)....I still consider myself a fan and want the teams to do well..and I assume guys like daly, carolina, pete, are similar....honestly, I dont think any of us would waste our time here if we didnt care about MD....

Although it doesnt matter and I dont have to prove anything to anyone, I posted that we do generally get to at least 1 MD game per year ( this year will actually be an exception with us attending 3 games (BC, Bowl and Colgate BB)

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 22, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Id love to see NJIT win

Posted by: postcrud | December 22, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Now there you go, Fargo! I don't know who postcrud is, although I like the name, but there is a "hater." You have never seen me post something like that. Now, Fargo, even if you are going to blast him, don't go so far as to suggest that he "get the hell off of this site and never come back." I would prefer to know why he feels that way. But let the 1st Amendment live on TI, please.

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I think these rent-a-win games actually do help this time of year. With the finals break and no students on campus, the last thing I'd want to have is a meaningful game 3 days before Xmas. Plus, these are games where guys can have an opportunity to get in a groove. I remember Lonny Baxter using one of these games to make a statement his freshman year. Or, if a guy like Mosely has a good shooting night, maybe he won't be so gun-shy the next time he's alone with the ball 17 feet from the basket. That being said, the last 10 minutes usually turn into a And-1 street hoop exhibition.

Posted by: epdaly | December 22, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

So I get Poopy's relentless attack's on Barno...and it remains a two way street. He got banned. Barno got a legit big win on him (if anyone besides the two are keeping score). Certainly bigger than the re-posting of barno's pro-vinny statements from a few years ago (which is probably Poopy's big win in their battle).

But using a new name and joining back up is perfectly legal and maintains the spirit of the board - a place for Terps to post their opinions and bash the opinions of other Terps (corollary - to bash with force non-terps who post nastiness here).

RF's continued employment and results has been probably the biggest cause of the bickering on this board (we're not nearly as divisive on BB). His firing was a huge loss to those who have supported him emotionally and have defended him on this board - and none has been as vocally supportive of RF than Barno. And more than a few RMOGs have used the recent developments as a means of twisting the knife on Barno. I have to wonder how many folks were actually disappointed in the JF/RF situation but instead thought to themselves "Ha! Now I can REALLY wind Barno up!!!!!"??? Well, what may have been merely annoying before became hurtful because of the situation.

Poopy is not a stalker. barno is NOT a bigot (or certainly no moreso than the rest of us). And RMOGs and KADs pretty much want to see the teams (FB & BB) win.
The RMOGs NEED the KADs - and especially Barno - to rail at when things go slightly wrong with the teams. The KADs need the RMOGs to bash when things go exceedingly right for the teams. Think back to the Duke win last BB season when every remotely anti-GW post was reposted. If we wanted to be adults and keep it serious we would tune in elsewhere. The bashing earlier this week was a bit much - even though the bashing was no different from the usual - because of the RF situation.

It is a period of profound change for the FB program, and none of us KNOWS whether its for better or worse. Buts business as usual for the sniping and infighting, and after my few days of reading but not posting much, I think I am beginning to enjoy it again.

Maybe I don't speak for the majority and I hold no claims to this board in my book, all are welcome, all opinions are valuable, and intelligent insults count more than obvious and lazy ones.

On a final note, I love when one side compares the other to Hitler, Mark Furman, Saddam Hussein etc. Then the other side takes the moral high ground of "how-could-you-compare-me-to-Hitler??". A comparison to hannibal Lector though? Priceless.

Also, props for minhle1 for providing a lot of insights as to how the program actually works. I was every bit as distraught as Barno when I heard about RF but your calm logic talked me off the ledge so to speak.

Blabbing again, apologies for the length and happy holidays to all.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 22, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

TerpFan,

I guess my question is why did you sour on one of the best coaches in UMD football history so fast? For Mike Leach? F'n Mike Leach? If Leach was so great he'd already have another coaching gig. If he hasn't received coaching offers due to legal holdups -- then that's another reason to steer clear of him.

Fridge has taken us to the BCS before and I think/thought, with some time and good fortune, he could take us there again. We'll never know.

I guess I'm unwaveringly loyal to those who have taken our program to heights I hadn't previously experienced and not everyone feels that way.

To each their own.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 22, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Actually Fushezzi, I'd like to understand WHEN folks started souring on RF. Was there a particular season or incident that triggered it? TFMA has not been a fan of RF in any of his posts. certainly Petecard was withholding judgement with a bias towards skepticism towards RF.

I have no doubt we were all UNANIMOUSLY fans of RF in 2003. When did it change and what caused it to change?

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 22, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

HughG, Can you remind me again what an RMOG is?

Sometimes you are too nice, but you may be the only regular on this site that everyone likes.

I soured on Ralph last year, when the not so good trend got really bad. We can argue about how much Yow was part of the cause. I was willing to give him a shot next year after the Virginia game. But, really, to dwell on RF's ultimate downfall doesn't serve a useful purpose at this point. We need to move on.

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

As ususal Hugh, playing the role of the rational parent, has to come in and calm all the children down.

Thanks again dad. What's Santa bringing me for Xmas? :)

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 22, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Ok, here it is since you asked...bear in mind I am not using recent events to rip Fridge but am just responding to a question: This may get a bit jumbled but here is my take (these are my opinions)

Initially, I was very excited with RF..alum, offensive genius, believer in MD and the results were awesome! All of a sudden we had excitement back in CP and we started beating teams..winning the close games and dominating schools like WVU and Tenn and we had 3 spectacular seasons...then all of a sudden it feels like it stalled and never really got back on track...Fridge would come out and admit that he mentally took it for granted but promised to refocus...then he couldnt reach the players (heard that one many seasons)..then it seemed like we were always rebuilding or too young...it also seemed like we never entered a season with a proven QB..every year was a struggle...each season it seemed like we started off slow..losing to some easy teams which put pressure on the rest of the season so even when we did beat good teams we had these embarrassing losses that kept the season from being great...I am sure there were many excuses but these were the ones I remember...I also recall many many games when we just werent prepared to play ....I honestly got a sense as a fan that the 5 year decline in the program was actually masked by a weak schedule and we were actually worse than our record indicated...I know everyone sched cupcakes but the difference is good schools also go out and beat good teams in addition to the cupcakes where UMD needed the cupcake wins to eek into a bowl...Fridge also seemed detached from the players..I remember this summer and article noting that he didnt know the first name of Jamaar Rob..kept calling him Jamal..and then after a few losses he was going to actually go into the locker room at halftime....then we went through all theses seasons when our QB didnt match the offense (no arm but with speedy WRs)...then the losses kept piling up and the margins kept getting worse (largest loss, 1st consecutive loss to MEAC team etc etc etc)...Steve Slaton...more excuses...overall I just percieved that RFs teams were sputtering and could never quite catch fire....over/under recruiting at positions..didnt we have 3 or 4 years when the OL was young? It just got old...it seemed that many times the team was going through the motions and all the while Fridge just kept asking for more........I wish him well...he has become a wealthy man and got to do what he loved, where he loved for 10 years which is more than most can say....I would have kept him around next year but I can see why the change was made and look forward to our new coach (whoever that turns out to be)

I am sure there are counter arguments to my opinions...so be it

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 22, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Very good post, TerpfanMA.

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

So the mediocrity of the past 5 years outweighed the first 5 and you felt that it was more indicative of a trend instead of a anomoly.

I can understand that point of view. To butcher a Chris Rock phrase....I'm not saying I agree with it, but I understand.

Posted by: fushezzi | December 22, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

To be honest it was the mediocrity of the last 7 that weighed against the first 3...but, like I said, I still would have brought him back next year to see if this year was finally the beginning of sustainable momentum...(but we will never know and perhaps its better that way...this way he goes out on top)

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 22, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

For me, the final straw was the loss to mtsu a few years ago. The luster had come off the program since RF's first 3 years. The ACC was weak and getting weaker and I never felt that Maryland would get to that elite tier in the conference. Maryland came back and beat cal but then got smoked at uva a few weeks later. There was no consistency and the excuses were piling up. Each year, there were too many injuries and the line was too young, etc. Then, last year was just an embarrassment. And the excuses continued. "if davin meggett didn't slip here..." "if that ball was 6 inches higher...". Enough was enough. To be a middle-of-the-pack ACC is not an enticing goal. The conference stinks. If the acc is lucky, it will have 2 nationally relevant teams these days. If ralph was putting up these won-loss numbers in the sec or big 12, I'd feel better about the state of the team. But is was the acc. I think a title game appearance (not even a win) every 3/4 years or so is realistic. Even during this pretty solid year, I never felt Maryland was going to win the games against the quality opponents...and they didn't. So, as it's been pointed out many times, RF was a victim of his own success. He proved it's possible for Maryland to win the conference and beat Tennessee's and West Virginia's (good OOC bowl opponents those years) of the world. But the last 7 years proved the program was never close to that level. Plus, they had a morbidly obese coach in his mid60's. Not trying to make fun but rather point out what was working against him. How many years did he have left? I don't think he has 5 years left in him. To really recruit, you need to have 5 years on the contract.

I'm sure someone will point to some acc stats about how the conference is good but it just isn't. It's irrelevant. Nobody outside the acc thinks about acc football unless you're playing in the orange or the peach.

Time to try to see if Maryland can be great every once in awhile.

Posted by: epdaly | December 22, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

ep -

You truly found his weight to be that much of a factor (or at least a factor worth mentioning) in the idea that he should go?

Just asking.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 22, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

TerpFanMA - good post, I felt much the same way. The excuses got exhausting after a while. I never felt like Ralph stepped up and took responsibility for any of his stumbles - it was either too young, too many injuries, and on and on. That said, who knows if I would have been more forgiving if he had taken responsibility.

I will also say this - Yow did nothing to help her two revenue-producing sports. Seems like she never really had their backs, and instead was always looking to pad her pocketbook with incentives largely based on Director's Cup finishes. Director's Cup! That's why we have ninety gazillion sports programs sucking money at the expense of the football and basketball programs. Anderson's shown that he can be tough when it comes to a big fat guy - let's hope he can be just as tough with the competitive cheer team and the water polo team and the volleyball team when he demotes them to club status.

Posted by: caphillterp | December 22, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I meant "opinion that he should go prior to the events of last weekend" notsomuch "Idea that he should go." Not sure that you were of the opinion he should go prior to that and don't look at re-posts.

echo Fushezzi on the rest. One thing that is not MD-centric - the weakness of the ACC over the last seven years. Or the concentration of good SEC & B10 teams.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 22, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

epdaly - what the final straw the first MTSU loss or the second?

I really need to let it go.

Posted by: caphillterp | December 22, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

HughG, would you answer my question about the meaning of RMOG?

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Caphill...I completely agree on Yow..she seemed very annoying and her constant spats with Gary were very troubling....he brought UMD a championship, couple of Final Fours and ran a clean program so GET OFF HIS BACK!

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 22, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Pete, just guessing here but it might stand for "Real Men of Genius" which ties in to Barnys parody

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 22, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. That's It. Funny but I didn't think of it as parody! But I do like it that my Koolaid Drinkers and Mediocrity Hall of Fame are now acronyms on this site. I think Dixon's Fargo is pretty good too, not that Garo is bad...

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'm the only one happy just to see a basketball post on this board?

Posted by: erniegogo | December 22, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

HGR, I addressed the obesity issue as a problem going forward. Not the reason why I was fed up. The results, to me, were not a good sign for the program in a weak conference. I didn't get the feeling that the Terps could win a conference title going forward. Therefore, I was ready to try something new. 10 years is a good run. But I think most coaching tenures start to drop off after a certain period of time. I think uga is experiencing this on a slightly higher level over the last few seasons. Sometimes a shakeup is just what the doctor ordered.

The obesity thing is important because looking at the program, it feels a little stale. Attendance has dropped off. I still get to my game or two a year but as cut-and-pasto loves to point out, I'm not driving the bus. It's season ticket numbers and luxury boxes. The program needs a spark. Did I feel an obese man in his mid 60's who gets winded for halftime interviews just walking off the field was suddenly going to create a spark? No. Look around college football's top 10. Not a lot of old or fat guys. Fair or not, it's gonna be tough for someone's fat grandfather to connect with a 18 year old stud, both in recruiting and firing them up for games. I will remember those first three years very fondly (especially after going to school during the Duffner and Vanderlinden reign of terror), but it's time for something new.

Leach is no Men's Health cover model but he is 14 years younger and has a unique enough approach that I think can create that spark and, more importantly, can win a little bigger in the acc. Go Terps.

Posted by: epdaly | December 22, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Do gotta love how the Fargo has stuck.

hahaha.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | December 22, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I would not jump to any conclusions about Leach just yet...it may end up that way but there is a lot of ground to cover first...Anderson says he has not even engaged a search firm yet..Leach says nobody from UMD has contacted him and BSun is reporting that Anderson expects to have a new coach installed by Jan 4th....thats a lot of stuff to happen in a short time and who even knows if Leach and UMD are in the same ballpark $$ wise?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 22, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

For me the obesity issue is interesting. I had a weight problem and still looked at Ralph as really "out there." I wondered what I would think if a guy like that was recruiting my son. Does he have the discipline I would like my son's coach to have. But I only wondered that. I didn't hold it against him. It wasn't a reason for him to lose his job. Now I have conquered my problem with a real life style change. I just hope the Ralph can "save" his own life by focusing on the problem. Maybe the change in day-to-day pressure will help. I sincerely hope so.

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Terpfan: My "guess-the-date-and-time" poll on this blog for when Leach would be named the next coach got no response. I picked 12/30 @ 3:00 PM. That's the day after the bowl game and the same time as the press conference this week. Cmon guys, pick a date and time...

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

The BSun is reporting 2 items as of 7pm:

1) Leach has not been contacted by UMD..I guess this doesnt necessarily mean he hasnt spoken to Under Armor

2) Danny Obrien is staying at UMD

Ok Pete...I dont know who the coach is going to be but will select the time as Dec 31st @ 2PM....sounds like Mon Jan 4th is the first day to contact recruits so it will give the new HC the weekend to get organized and hit the trail running

Posted by: TerpfanMA | December 22, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey Liz - very objective headline. Thought you were somewhat more objective than Prisbell (who isn't?), but as an alum it sure seems like WaPo loves to stick the needle in pretty far on most Terps stories. Don't see that in their coverage of any of the other local schools. Does anyone else feel the same way or am I over-sensitive?

Posted by: LeeM9308 | December 22, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Lee -

The NC is Duke. They oughta attack every team as if they were Duke. Sustained intensity is always a challenge this part of year. That said, want to see more of the back-ups than the starters. Would prefer barely a dub-dub from J-dub (with him sitting) and seeing JP-BW-HP-AP play.

Ooops - gotta get on atdhe to watch the game (thanks poopy!).

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 22, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

PH is starting???

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 22, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Pete -

RMOG is as TFMA indicated. 53-18 at half time? NJIT is abysmal. Like CT coming off the bench with AB at 2. Someone pointed out that PH at 1 with AB at 2 was our most likely backcourt starting combo.

We need to make sure there are always superpatsies like this for late December as opposed to CAA teams.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 22, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Dec 31 @ noon for the announcement.

regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 22, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

OK, I have a confession to make. I enjoy lurking on TI about as much as I do supporting my alma mater. (Go Terps!) You couldn't find a cast of characters as entertaining as ours at the old Harlequin Dinner Theater. (Sorry Johnny.) Keep debating - not hating - I'll keep reading. Happy holidays everyone!

Posted by: Terptwin | December 22, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

One thing for sure. You learn NOTHING about the team from "watching" on GameTracker. It must be the worst device ever. It's like a modern day ticker tape. So I won't comment but look forward to others' observations.

I will keep the name the date/time picks.

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Terptwin, sometimes the "hate" is hard to curtail but your sentiments are well received. Maybe you should share your thoughts more often. Would like to know the meaning of your name...

Posted by: petecard | December 22, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse