Posted at 8:22 AM ET, 12/ 1/2010

Williams Delighted for Friedgen’s Honor, on Heels of N.C. State Upset

By Liz Clarke

Gary Williams, the ACC’s reigning coach of the year in men’s basketball, needed no coaxing to express his delight over news that Ralph Friedgen had been named the conference coach of the year in football on Tuesday.

“He came from two wins [last season] to where he is this year [8-4],” Williams said, asked about Friedgen’s honor when he met with reporters to talk about the upcoming basketball game at Penn State. “There was a lot of pressure on him this year. He handled it well to get to eight wins.

“You’re always happy for your fellow coaches. We have a lot of good coaches here. It’s just nice to see.”

Then, after a pause, Williams added: “It was nice he got his eighth win against N.C. State, too.”

Former Maryland athletic director Debbie Yow, now at N.C. State, had a thinly veiled interest in terminating Friedgen after last season’s 2-10 campaign.

By Liz Clarke  | December 1, 2010; 8:22 AM ET
Categories:  Football, Gary Williams, Men's basketball, Ralph Friedgen  | Tags:  Debbie Yow, Gary Williams, Maryland basketball, Maryland football, Ralph Friedgen
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland's Smith, Tate and the NFL draft
Next: Terps Face First True Road Test

Comments

Debbie Yow is gone. Why continue to attack her, Coach Williams? The years of in-fighting proved only that airing intrauniversity disputes in the press benefits no one and ultimately damages Maryland's athletics programs.

Posted by: kgrub | December 1, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Man I love Gary. Kgrub you're a geek, Gary & Ralph deserve to gloat a little with the Wicked Witch out of the picture

Posted by: jpfterps | December 1, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Kgrub,

Dr. Yow, was mean, spiteful and petty. In the last two year's she actively tried to get rid of the 2010 ACC Men's Basketball Coach of the Year and the 2010 ACC Football Coach of the Year. I think Gary is a great coach, but he is notoriously thin-skinned. I would probably gloat if one of our teams just won a major game against a former boss who tried to have me fired.

Note: While being very antagonistic, Dr. Yow did manage to dig the athletic dept out of a severe financial hole. While I am glad she is gone, her contributions should not be forgotton.

Posted by: larry31 | December 1, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

KGrub, you are an idiot! Yow had it out for the very coaches that have been making all the money for the school for years! She was notoriously nasty to Gary and Fridge. And for her to waltz back in to Byrd Stadium wearing her NC State pin to rub it in our eyes when the heavily favored Wolfpack beat our beloved Terps was incindiary. Oh wait, the TERPS won!! she got back on her broom broom and flew away with her tail between her legs!! Maybe next year, Dr. Yow.

Posted by: csquare67 | December 1, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

How did he attack Debbie Yow?

Her name is not in the quote: “It was nice he got his eighth win against N.C. State, too.”

A person can read between the lines but, that is not an attack.

"Lighten up, Francis"

Posted by: Section505203 | December 1, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Where is Barno to tell us that Gary and the Yow had a good working relationship.

Posted by: Chief2 | December 1, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Their working relationship was fine and the media totally blew it out of proportion Chief. You can ask either of them this now and they will both tell you the same thing--and with no reason to lie since they don't work together anymore.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 1, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

It's nice to see so many "fans" supporting Coach Williams today since two years ago the same people were calling for his head on a platter. Likewise, it's nice so many "fans" are supporting Coach Friedgen, when AD Yow was innundated last season with calls and e-mails from people demanding Friedgen's immediate termination. While it's easy to point the finger at Yow for being a "wicked witch," "mean, petty, spiteful," and "antagonistic," Williams' and Friedgen's jobs never would have been in jeopardy if they maintained support among alumni and fans.

Two closing comments:

1. I am a huge fan of Coach Williams, and believe anyone who wins an NCAA Championship and ACC Championship should be permitted to coach as long as he wants. That said, life's too hard to waste time being so bitter.

2. It's time for fickle Maryland "fans" to stop complaining and start buying season tickets.

Posted by: kgrub | December 1, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I heard that the supposed financial gains that Yow claimed for the athletic department were completely inflated, and the real numbers and status should be revealed shortly.

Posted by: Mariolucasforthree | December 1, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Barno wrote,

"Their working relationship was fine and the media totally blew it out of proportion"

You are the only person in the world to believe that.

Posted by: Chief2 | December 1, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Barno wrote

"However I will say this: I am no longer a Debbie Yow supporter and not just bc she's no longer a MD . The minute she contacted boosters and tried to raise the funds to buy Friedgen out, she lost me for good."

I am going to use one of Barno's favorite tactics and copy Barno's old message from June when Yow resigned.

Wow, just wow. I knew this was a possibility with Mote gone at the end of the summer, but it's still pretty shocking. Whatever you think of her alleged beef with Gary over the years, we are losing one of the best ADs in the business.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 24, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

If you stopped supporting Yow when she tried to force out Fridge last November, why were you calling her one of the best AD's this June?

Posted by: Chief2 | December 1, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Chief, the news that she contacted boosters in an effort to buy out Fridge didn't become public until AFTER she resigned. I understand the timeline might be difficult for you to remember, but all you have to do is google it my friend.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 2, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

And thinking she was one of the best ADs in the business and being upset with her for trying to buy Fridge out are not mutually exclusive beliefs. You're not a hypocrite for thinking she is considered a great AD and also hating that she tried to buy out our coach. Are you really not able to comprehend this?

Oh by the way, do you still believe Mote was "ordered" to hire Fridge from above, as you have ridiculously claimed in the past?

Posted by: Barno1 | December 2, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Barno wrote

"do you still believe Mote was "ordered" to hire Fridge from above, "

I know that Yow was strongly encouraged by Mote to hire Fridge after her unsuccessful hire of Vandy four year before when most influential boosters wanted Fridge.

Just as I knew last November that Yow was working behind the scenes to try to buy out Fridge.

Just as a know in January 2009 that Yow went to certain large boosters to try to raise money to buy out Gary.

Just as a I know she used changes in the athletic department's accounting such as making all scholarship athletes in state students for budget purposes to say that the athletic department budget was balanced.

Just as I know she forced Fridge's hand with getting rid of Charlie Taafe.

Just as I know her disbursing too much money from the revenue programs to the non revenue programs (27 team approach) has had a very negative effect on the basketball and football program since 2003.

Just as I know she had poor relationships with the two most important people in the athletic department.

Just as I know that in 2009 she was paying the women assistant coaches more than the men assistant coaches.

Just as I know that the contract she gave Franklin which makes someone with no head coaching experience one of the four highest paid coaches in the ACC was laughable.

Just as I know that she left the athletic department in very poor financial shape.

If you think all that makes her one of the best AD's in the country, your clueless. The day she left was the a great day for the athletic department.

Posted by: Chief2 | December 3, 2010 5:03 AM | Report abuse

I have been a fan of Maryland basketball from the Lefty days. I do respect and like GaryW for all that he has done for the program and school. But I can't stand people who say I or anybody else can't be critical or complain about something. I want MD basketball to be "The UCLA of the East" an expression from the 1970s. I want a perennial top 20 team that consistently gets in the NCAA tourney and advances. So when I complain about no front court depth its because I want the team to do very well. Is that so bad??

Chief2, Didn't know all those negative things about Yow. My impression of her was not favorable, one would think that the relationships between the AD and Head Football and Basketabll coaches should at the least be open and workable.

Posted by: Redtopper2 | December 4, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse