Posted at 11:49 AM ET, 01/13/2011

Reports: Gary Crowton to become Maryland offensive coordinator

By Matt Bonesteel

The Baton Rouge Advocate is reporting that LSU offensive coordinator Gary Crowton has taken the same position at Maryland. The New Orleans Times Picayune is reporting the same thing.

"It's a new challenge in my coaching career and I'm excited about that, knowing that I left LSU, which is a great place, with great memories of the player, coaches and everything," Crowton told the Times Picayune in a telephone interview, adding that he was not fired by LSU or asked to seek employment elsewhere.

Yesterday, the Advocate put up a report with Crowton stating he had not been fired by LSU. That contradicted a radio interview in which Gannett Louisiana Newspapers reporter Glen Guilbeau said Crowton "had a parting of the ways" with Tigers Coach Les Miles.

First-year Maryland coach Randy Edsall "is a defensive coach by trade and wanted me to come in and install the whole offense, my terminology and everything, and do it the way I've done it in the past in some other places," Crowton told the Times Picayune. "I thought it would be a great challenge."

Crowton, who has been LSU's offensive coordinator since 2007, and Edsall worked together at Boston College from 1991 to 1993. Crowton was the Eagles' quarterbacks coach, while Edsall coached Boston College's defensive backs.

Last season under Crowton, the Tigers ranked 86th nationally in total offense at 341.3 yards per game.

Crowton has been been an offensive coordinator or head coach in college football or the NFL since 1994, when he was the co-offensive coordinator at Georgia Tech. In 1995, he moved on to become the offensive coordinator at Louisiana Tech and from 1996 to 1998 he was the Bulldogs' head coach. In 1999, he moved on to the NFL, where he was the Chicago Bears' offensive coordinator for two seasons. From 2001 to 2004, he was head coach at Brigham Young, and then was offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Oregon for two seasons before going to LSU, where he had a first-year starter at quarterback in three of his four seasons.

A STATISTICAL LOOK AT GARY CROWTON'S OFFENSES

2001 BYU head coach: 542.85 ypg (1st in nation)
2002 BYU head coach: 381.83 ypg (50th)
2003 BYU head coach: 314.58 ypg (102nd)
2004 BYU head coach: 382.73 ypg (48th)
2005 Oregon OC: 438.83 ypg (18th)
2006 Oregon OC: 422.85 ypg (9th)
2007 LSU OC: 439.43 ypg (26th)
2008 LSU OC: 368.08 (55th)
2009 LSU OC: 304.54 ypg (112th)
2010 LSU OC: 341.31 ypg (83rd)

By Matt Bonesteel  | January 13, 2011; 11:49 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cliff Tucker just plays, rather than pouts against Wake Forest
Next: OL Coach Tom Brattan to remain with Maryland under Randy Edsall

Comments

Good move happy to see this staff filling out with some good hires

Posted by: fzuylen | January 13, 2011 11:59 AM | Report abuse

This is great news if it holds. Really, has Randy Edsall made anything but good moves so far? My answer is NO! He is off to a great start.

Posted by: petecard | January 13, 2011 12:03 PM | Report abuse

This is great news. Really, has Randy Edsall made anything but great moves so far? My answer is NO! He is off to a great start.

Posted by: petecard | January 13, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

The double post was NOT my fault. Something is not functioning properly at WaPo.

Posted by: petecard | January 13, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey Petecard - I 100% agree! I'm really exciting with Maryland's direction. Coach Edsall is great and his Uconn career proves that. I don't understand why so many people are unhappy with him.

Posted by: mf12284 | January 13, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Stats speak for themselves. Not great - middle to low. What is LSU's ranking?

Posted by: mdterpmom | January 13, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Pretty clear with Gary Crowton on those statistics: As go his QBs, so goes his offenses. I guess that's not abnormal.

What is great about this hire has more to do with perceptions than anything else. It says a lot about Edsall's flexibility. It says a lot about MD's willingness to pay (because MD pays very poorly for assistant coaches, almost criminally poor). It says MD can land SEC coordinators (even if Crowton was on his way out, the folks at ESPN never really report the details).

Crowton is highly respected among football people. As someone said on the previous thread, 3 years looks about right for Crowton. DOB's gonna light it up next year.

One last thing, why are people still saying things like "there's a great OC out there named Ralph"? How does this add to the dialogue? NEWSFLASH: KA fired Ralph...Ralph's not coming back. The right or wrong has been discussed to death.

Posted by: WheelsRI | January 13, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

This is great news, for LSU. LSU went 11-2 and finished the season at No. 8 in the polls, but ranked last in the SEC in pass offense this season and 11th in total offense. Last season the Tigers were last in the league in total offense and 11th in rushing. This with top 10 recruiting classes for the last 7+ years.

Posted by: charliewewe | January 13, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

mf12284, it's not that people were unhappy with Edsall per say...it's the whole process and the firing of Friedgen and the letdown after people thought we'd get Leach. If it was anyone other than Friedgen or Leach, everyone was going to be p*ssed. Not a knock against Edsall, and yes he has made some good decisions so far keeping Don Brown and now picking up LSU's O-coordinator. Would have liked for him to keep Sollazzo, but I don't know that he would have even wanted to stay.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

This guys been run out of town everywhere hes been. He always has a great first year than a steady decline every year after. Everyone in Lousiana is happy hes leaving just like Oregon was when he left...what does that say about him? Google his history if you doubt what Im saying. Also he doesnt recruit at all and refuses to make adjustments in his gameplans. I hope everything people say about him is wrong...but I doubt it is. It is better than the offense Edsall had at Conn though.

Posted by: jokey04 | January 13, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Coach Randy is putting together a pretty, pretty, pretty good staff.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 13, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey Poop, does this signal the end of the DixonTheDog era? If so, thanks.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I hope so too Poopy. ...and keep on comin' with th Larry David references!...another in a long line of distinguished MD alums.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | January 13, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

What am I not getting here? Is DTD and MDNID the same person? Are all 3 Poopy?

Posted by: petecard | January 13, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

So was Jim Henson...is it ok if I quote the Muppets or Sesame Street??

Dob made JF look good...or we won despite JF thanks to DOB.

Note that Nolan Smith looked a lot less ugly last night than he usually does. Disappointment does his face good.

And puts us back in the hunt for the ACC title!

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 13, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Pete, here's how the evolution worked:

Poopy_McPoop (banned because of.....) than went to DTD than went to P00PY_MCP00P

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 13, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

He got run out of town. and those stats don't look that great. Just saying

Posted by: tony28 | January 13, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: HughGRection | January 13, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

All right, I have set up three different Gmails to change this f-ing handle to ANYTHING non-profane to no avail. Will try from a different computer. And no, I will not consult the near suicidal dukie....although I have found myself humming the tomahawk chant today a few times.

My 7yo asked "who is huggy rection?" the other day...its time to become a kinder, more gentler hgr.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 13, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

FTS. I tried fom the ipad. fts. Of all the f-ing names to be stuck with.

Ok, so I kinda sorta follow Georgetown BB albeit not passionately. It appears that the Wapo is going after JTIII akin to the "GW can't recruit" series of BS articles from last year. If you read the article, it basically says JTIII can't coach and dismisses his past success. Maybe they've moved onto a new whipping boy.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 13, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Sounds pretty clear that Crowton and Miles were not on the same offensive page. Whether Crowton fails or succeeds here, at least it will be his show and MD has a QB that can throw the ball. Two things that Crowton did not have at LSU.

Posted by: kieran2001 | January 13, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

How different will his system be from the one that Danny OB ran this year? Hate to see a drop off.

Posted by: Effyeahterps | January 13, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I am not a Crowten fan. We averaged 352.8 YPG with Franklin and Fridgen. He has not developed a pro QB in his career even though he tends to be "pass happy". In Chicago, he did not develop good pass protection schemes. We need an OC that is pro oriented and a good recruiter. I hope that Crowten can change into that because his past does not show those qualities.

Posted by: dnoboyle | January 13, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I would like to know Danny's thoughts on this hire. Not his PR public comments, but his real thoughts. Does he think this is a good fit for him, what's the playbook like, same style. Etc.

Posted by: terp4lifer | January 13, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Poopy, I thought that all along. Now tell me who MDNID is and why Barno isn't blasting him?

HughG, why dont you just change it to "HughG?" Then we will always remember your funny handle but it will be easier to explain.

Posted by: petecard | January 13, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

DOB thrived despite the Franklin's unimaginative playcalling, not because of it. God help me if I see more than one bubble screen per game in 2011.

I'm a fan of the Crowton hire. Not sure if anyone else watched any LSU games this year, but Jordan Jefferson was a joke of a QB. He was serially unable to make more than one read. If the first option wasn't there, he'd just pull it down and run - sloooooowly. As a result, Crowton had to cobble together a pretty conservative offense. I hope he'll loosen the reins a bit with proven talent on that side of the ball in CP.

Posted by: caphillterp | January 13, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

So was Jim Henson...is it ok if I quote the Muppets or Sesame Street??

Hgr- you can quote or reference whatever you want. I was only joking when commenting on your Harry Potter and LOTR posts. Although, I'm still partial to you going deep in the recesses and quoting The Warriors. I respect your range!

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | January 13, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Pete - I am totally separate from Poopy...and Barno knows that, plus the fact that I lean towards drinking the so called "koolaid".

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | January 13, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: caphillterp | January 13, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I feel the same way. LSU hasn't recruited a good QB since Matt Flynn. Crowton has never had a good QB to run his scheme, so who knows what it would be with a great QB behind center in front of a solid offensive line.

People are criticizing his ability to "develop" a QB, but it's hard to draw blood from a rock. The QBs he's had have been terrible. The Terps are set for the next 4 years at QB with DOB, CJ Brown, and Tyler Smith.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 13, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Both Jarrett Lee and Jordan Jefferson were 4 star recruits in their class. I think this says a lot about Crowton and his ability to develop QBs. Being an LSU fan I cannot thank the twerps enough. You should read some of the NOLA threads about him. Again god bless you MD.

Posted by: charliewewe | January 13, 2011 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: charliewewe | January 13, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I should change my name to "mydogsarenownamedavon&stringerbell"

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey Charlie, 4 stars and $3.50 will get you a latte at Starbucks (Grande). If Lee and Jefferson were 4 stars, I guess Cam Newton must have been about 20.

Posted by: kieran2001 | January 13, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Friedgen to LSU?

Posted by: hlef | January 13, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kieran2001 | January 13, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Crowton won with Matt Flynn who was developed by Jimbo Fisher. All I am saying is these guy's had potential. Crowton did not develop that potential. He is your problem now. See you guys in the BCS. Geaux tigers.

Posted by: charliewewe | January 13, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Friedgen to LSU?

Posted by: hlef | January 13, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kieran2001 | January 13, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------

No, in Cam's case - 4 Stars and $180,000 gets you a QB and a national championship.

FWIW Rivals had DOB and Torrey rated as 3 stars

Posted by: fushezzi | January 13, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: charliewewe | January 13, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope we get to the BCS.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 13, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I hope we all wish Coach Edsall and Coach Crowton the best. Has anyone informed him that his first name has already been trademarked by another Maryland coach, so he had better start using his nickname, or middle name.

Is the Post ever going to report or mention that the Terps were ranked in the final polls? Not surprisingly, I had to find out about it at another news source.

Posted by: mostertag | January 13, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I think its great we are signing coaches from the pro's, I mean the SEC, I mean the pro's...lol his rankings have been middle but remember he plays most of his games against the SEC, I mean the pro's, I mean.....

Posted by: dbrine1261 | January 13, 2011 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I looks like his 3rd season on the job is where things really head downhill..so for us that would be DOBs senior year....hopefully DOB will counteract whatever negative pull seems to come in year 3 (2013 for us)...

REs moves seem pretty good so far except his comments about playing PSU...the fact is that UMD is 0-200-1 against PSU so lets forgive them a little bit if we dont qualify as a rival just yet....I would say RE should puff himself down just a bit...accept the bid to get the games on the schedule (even if its a 2-1)...go play the games ( we will benefit immensely from tix sales and recruiting) and then if he wins one(or more), he can be the hero and puff himself back up....Until then, we are barely a spec on PSUs radar

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 13, 2011 6:58 PM | Report abuse

HGR - Just my two cents, but I agree with Petecard. Keep it simple and reduce your handle to "HughG." That way, no one will be scarred for life. TT

Posted by: Terptwin | January 13, 2011 8:43 PM | Report abuse

HGR, For what it's worth, my vote is for "Huge." That can refer to Terp fan or whatever else you might want people to think about you.

Posted by: MrScrotums | January 13, 2011 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Also, as a test, I just clicked "Sign in" at the top of the page and created a new account in the "Free membership" area, making sure to check the "remember me" box. Worked fine.

Posted by: MrScrotums | January 13, 2011 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Good MrScrotums. Does that mean you will change your name? How about MrTits? That would be a much more pleasant thought! :)

Posted by: petecard | January 14, 2011 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey TerpFanMA

The Terps are 1-35-1 against PSU.
I was a student in 1961 when they got the only win. A pretty good receiver named Gary Collins was a senior on that team. Tom Nugent was the head coach.

Unfortunately, I didn't attend as I had to work that day!

If Anderson wants to put fannies in the seats, scheduling teams like PSU will do it, not Delaware or Morgan State.
Every PSU game I went to was packed!

Posted by: bigj7999 | January 14, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Hey TerpFanMA

The Terps are 1-35-1 against PSU.

Unfortunately, I didn't attend as I had to work that day!

Every PSU game I went to was packed!

Posted by: bigj7999 | January 14, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Hey TerpFanMA

The Terps are 1-35-1 against PSU.

Unfortunately, I didn't attend as I had to work that day!

Every PSU game I went to was packed!

Posted by: bigj7999 | January 14, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse