Posted at 8:42 AM ET, 01/ 3/2011

Mike Farrell: Randy Edsall will be required to take 'different approach' to recruiting at Maryland

By Steve Yanda

Like many of the rest of the college football followers in the country, Mike Farrell was "pretty stunned" when he heard Sunday that Maryland had chosen Connecticut Coach Randy Edsall to replace Ralph Friedgen as the program's head football coach.

Farrell, the lead football recruiting analyst for Rivals.com, said he believes Edsall's coaching ability will lead to wins at Maryland, but he's as interested as anyone else to see what kind of approach Edsall takes to recruiting the top talent in the state. At Connecticut, Edsall's task was to find hidden gems, to recruit two-star prospects and develop them into four-star talent. And for the most part, Farrell said, Edsall performed that task well.

But at Maryland, in a state much more loaded with top-tier football talent, Edsall will be expected to compete for upper echelon recruits. Can Edsall and the staff he builds keep up? Time will tell, Farrell said.

"I do know one thing: If I’m a Maryland fan, I’m happy with the hire because I know he’s going to win football games because he’s a tremendous football coach," Farrell said in a telephone interview late Sunday night. "If I’m a recruiting fan, I don’t think it’s going to be as exciting as it was under (Friedgen) with (James) Franklin and (Dave) Sollazzo and those guys."

Here are some more of Farrell's thoughts, from a recruiting perspective, on Maryland's decision to hire Edsall:

On Edsall reputation as a recruiter: "He finds guys that few other people recruit, and he turns them into really good football players. That’s what he had to do at UConn. It’s not a program with a lot of tradition. It’s not a program in a high-profile conference. It’s not a program in a state with a ton of talent. And it’s not a program that, regardless of the fact that they’ve got state of the art facilities there, the bottom line is their stadium is still 45 minutes away from campus, and their campus is located in the middle of nowhere. It’s a tough sell, Uconn is. He’s not going to compete head-to-head and beat the Penn States of the world in Pennsylvania for recruits. He’s not going to beat Boston College in New England for recruits. He’s not going to beat Rutgers in New Jersey for recruits on a consistent basis. He finds the guys that others undervalue, and he turns them into players that consistently win games."

On Edsall's recruiting style: "Very straight-forward. No messing around. Randy Edsall is sort of from the Tom Coughlin, Bill Parcells, Paul Pasqualoni, Bill Belichick mold. This is what we want to offer you. We’re not going to beg you to come to play for me. If you want to come play for me, if you want to become a terrific student-athlete, work hard, get an education, win ball games and be part of the team, you’re the guy for me and it’ll be a great fit. If you don’t want that and if you’re more about the individual, if you’re a ‘me’ guy, then this isn’t going to work out. That’s really the approach he takes, and I think a lot of parents like that kind of direct approach and they appreciate that direct approach. But in this day and age of recruits being coddled and loved up and sold the world by every coach out there, sometimes it doesn’t work."

On whether Edsall is a good fit, from a recruiting standpoint, at Maryland: "I think winning brings recruits, and I think he’s a terrific coach, and I think he will win football games at Maryland, because I think he’s a coach who can win anywhere. I think he will, because of that, bring in good recruiting classes. Is he a James Franklin-type of recruiter? No. I have a particular respect for James as a recruiter in the state of Maryland. Is he a Mike Locksley-type of recruiter? No. Those two guys (Franklin and Locksly) have different styles. Franklin was a guy who got to know families and know kids. They became very comfortable with him, and he really sold that family values thing, where Locksley was a guy who had great connections, really works hard and just would go to many different aspects of the recruiting process. He’d go to different angles. He’d go to the high school coach, to the players, to the uncles, to the fathers, to the mothers. A tireless guy.

"Randy’s a person who’s going to go after the top kids in the state of Maryland, the top kids in D.C., the top kids in the mid-Atlantic area, to try to recruit them to Maryland. He’s going to win football games with them or without them, and eventually they’re going to want to come to Maryland because they’ll be a winning program."

On the differences between recruiting as Connecticut's head coach and recruiting as Maryland's head coach: "It’s going to be a different approach for him, because he doesn’t have the recruiting territory up in Connecticut. He’s got to go into different areas and find kids that others aren’t looking at. He’s got to hide recruits and find guys at his summer camp that others don’t really know about. At Maryland, everybody comes into that state. When they sense weakness, everybody comes in and tries to pull kids out. They’ve come in in the past, and it’s going to continue.

"There’s a lot of talent in the state of Maryland. It’s going to be a different approach. He’s going to have to go after the top guys, and there’s going to be a lot of pressure on him to keep the top kids in-state, and that’s going to be his big challenge. Can those guys step up and recruit at that high level? That’s going to be the big question, and I don’t have the answer as to whether they can do that or not. On a smaller scale, it’s similar to Brian Kelly going from Cincinnati to Notre Dame.

"Coming from UConn, where you’re getting the two-star kids you want to turn into four-star college football players to Maryland, where you’ve got a great recruiting pool, within driving distance you’ve got four-star kids north, south and west of you, you’re going to be expected to get those kids in your program."

On the impact, recruiting-wise, of Maryland choosing Edsall: "It’s not going to impact (the 2011) class, I don’t think. If this class was going to fall apart, it would have happened a long time ago. Friedgen is gone, Franklin left and the class is still pretty much in tact. The guys they might lose or would lose, most of these guys are staying.

"Moving forward, it’s going to be interesting to see what kind of approach (Edsall) takes. Maryland put a lot of early 2012 offers out there, because (Friedgen) and his staff were very, very aggressive. And Randy is the type of guy who’s definitely going to want ‘fit’ players, guys who fit his system, guys that do what he likes to do. So I’m curious to see how he’s going to target the state and whether they’re going to sort of blanket-offer all the top kids there or be very selective."

By Steve Yanda  | January 3, 2011; 8:42 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Randy Edsall plans to bring three UConn assistants with him to Maryland
Next: LIVE VIDEO: Maryland introduces Randy Edsall

Comments

Is it too much to ask of Steve Yanda to learn how to spell Ralph Friedgen's name?

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 9:20 AM | Report abuse

And if I'm Danny O'Brien, I am seriously considering transferring. He may even get a waiver given the situation, but even if he didn't, he'd still have at least 2 years eligibility. And he'd have his pick of almost any team he wants.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 9:26 AM | Report abuse

So the question that once again arises is, why did Anderson buy out Fridge? Edsall is going to recruit the same way Fridge did, just without the help of Franklin, which means a program that supposedly wanted to go from "good to great" just took a step backwards.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 3, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 9:20 AM |

Jesus, Barno, could you be any less of a snip for once?

Posted by: SirPelleas | January 3, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I agree that DOB may not be long for the Maryland Program, except that the prospect of sitting out a year may be a show stopper. But the news for him isn't good, particularly given that Edsall is actually bringing is offensive coaches and their stellar numbers with him. You can bet there will be more spin at the PC today about how Edsall has indicated that he will adjust his system for the talent on the team. Please, spare us.

Posted by: petecard | January 3, 2011 9:40 AM | Report abuse

As I indicated in my previous entry, I expect UVA to dominate Maryland at recruiting locally.

Posted by: Chief2 | January 3, 2011 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Its pretty clear that Edsall got this job because he was the last man standing...someone put the kabash on Leach and the number 2 candidate turned down the interview, so this is what we are stuck with...a pedestrian boring offense run by a disciplinarian, defense oriented coach in the Tom Coughlin mode (who will probably be fired by the Giants)....Not really the upgrade we were promised....I know he would never admit this but I suspect that KA would not have fired Fridge if he knew how this was going to turn out.....we are staring at 4-5 years of low scoring, boring football....zzzzzzz

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 9:56 AM | Report abuse

could you be any less of a snip for once?

Posted by: SirPelleas | January 3, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Says the guy who never goes to Terps games and who mocked the Terps all season long.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Pete, yeah, I saw that quote too....funny...whats he gonna do when they graduate..switch back?

I also love how he worked into the interview that he was a UMD fan as a kid...classic! I bet that brought a smile to Clements and Kirwans faces

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Well if Kevin Anderson has done anything, he's at least brought together the Terps Insider board. Petecard, TerpfanMA, Barno1, Aviscardo, chief2...all in agreement in our disgust over this situation. And all it took to bring us all together was the shameless dismissal of a fellow alum who made MD football relevant again in order to usher in an era of offensive-less football with 2 star recruits by a .500 coach. Way to go Kevin Anderson! What a great hire you have turned out to be. Our new university president, who admittedly "doesn't know anything about sports," must be happy with his decision to hire you.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

On Edsall:

His critics in Connecticut often complained about Edsall's dull offenses, and his inability to develop quarterbacks before and after Dan Orlovsky finished his career in 2004. This year's offense, despite Todman being the nation's second-leading rusher, was ranked 96th in the country, 16 spots below Maryland. With the exception of 2004, when the Huskies were ranked 19th in offense, Connecticut was ranked in the bottom half of the country — three times 90th or below among 120 FBS teams since 2005.

YIIPPPEEEEEEE!!!!!

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Really Barno? You think DOB will transfer? This might be the first time you and Pete agree on something. Luckily for Terps fans he is not transferring. If anything he is extremely excited about the hire and is already looking forward to the new playbook. Maybe some of you "know it alls" should do some research before spouting out nonsense.

Posted by: jmolina77 | January 3, 2011 10:29 AM | Report abuse

@Steve Yanda... thanks for telling us how talentless the Terps will likely be during the Edsall years. In the Big East, being lightweight in the talent category can lead to 8-5, in the ACC it'll probably lead to 5-8. As an alum, I'm bored by the 2011-2012 season of Maryland football already.

Posted by: blackterrapin | January 3, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

wow. have the regulars ever been so damn UNITED on any one thing? Ever? Ok, CT's buzzer beater aside, anything?

Sure the sniping continues but in a far less guns-firing manner.

I go on record with disagreeing and being supremely disappointed with RF's firing (and echo Barno on the frequent mispelling of his name by the Wapo). However I understood "why" thanks to the posts of a few on the blog - I've mentioned minhle a few times. We need to fill seats and we need to win more of the big games (going back a few posts, beating Rutgers a few seasons ago was a huge win imho). Excitement was generated - I mentioned how both DC & Balto sports radio announcers pointed out that they had spent more time on MD FB in the days following RF's firing than they had all season. Whether we agreed with the RF firing or not, there was a tangible focus in local media on the program's future. It disappeared this weekend when Edsall was announced. I mean, "boring" is the word that gets used and re-used whenever anyone in the media speaks about the hiring...and they never spend more than 30 seconds discussing it.

The categoric refutals of KAs claims have been done by others (and I'm sure at some point he will begin a sentence with "I categorically deny...."). Villian. Snake. But kind of a bumbling superhero bad guy who kills a lot of un-named innocents then babbles on too long so that the man in the cape can take him down.

Edsall is not THE bad guy, and as a Terp I will root for his success. If he wins with RF/JF's recruits he still wins. But if he loses....well then he is one crappy-*ss-coach. There are no excuses acceptable. If DOB xfers, he STILL needs to win. If Kenny Tate declares early, he STILL needs to win. If Don Brown and the entire defensive coaching staff departs, he STILL needs to win. That is taking it to the next level, and the expected steady state expectation in the face of no change (or even JF departing and all else remaining the same) was 10 wins minimum (ok, I thought that 11 wins was the real over/under but wasn't going to say it until August.

And the wins can be boring 13-6 or 10-3 or 9-0 because they are still wins. imho the scores ex post may seem to be boring, but when the Terps win a close one, its pretty exciting for those who watched. But if we are scoring low and the D disintegrates...I don't want to think about it.

KA has successfully motivated those with limited disposable income (like myself - many kids, one handicapped, GOING to a game is a serious luxury) to avoid season tix UNTIL there are some major wins posted by the team. Villian. F-ing villian.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 3, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Jmolina77, No...I don't think DOB will transfer nor did I say that. I said if I were DOB, I would seriously consider transferring. Best receiver: gone. Offensive coordinator: gone. Head Coach: gone. New coach/new offensive coordinator: 0 TDs in 8+ quarters, one of the worst offenses in the country. Yeah, I'd think about transferring if I were him.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Question for the board.

MD hoarded a ton of Freshmen this past season utilizing Red shirts. Can these guys now xfer without losing a year of eligibility? Would they have to sit again?

I HATE the idea of redshirting a player who can contribute to the team immediately. Redshirts imo SHOULD be used for players who aren't ready to play, are injured or who might need to focus on academics in my book. garcia was the case in point - we were always likely to burn his RS given early o-line injuries. Having him as a depth player could have changed the complexion of a more than a few games (to be fair, for better or worse). The smart kids graduate in four (although a lot of smart kids go to MD and graduate in 7) and if we have a stud like T. Smith, we lose a year of his services when he leaves. Stashing a talent like Max Garcia when your job is in jeopardy and the ACC title is on the line seemed like a bad idea (at least to me) when it happened and was suicidal in hindsight.

So do the kids who have not played still have to sit if the xfer? Also, couldn't any player xfer to a Div II (still not used to the new designation) school and play immediately and the xfer to whichever school they felt like? I hope we don't see a mass exodus of our players in the wake of this fiasco.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 3, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I usually just sit back and read and laugh at the back and forth between Barno and whoever and most people keep him in check but he is way out there this time.

There is no intelligent reason O'Brien will transfer. He is a red-shirt freshman and has just 3 years of eligibility left. He is the returning starting QB and had a great year. Why would he risk losing one of those years by transfering and there is no way he would get any kind of waiver. Look at the coaching turnover each year and NO ONE gets a waiver because the coach leaves or is fired. It might not be right but it is what it is, so O'Brien will stay and he will be fine and actually he can leave for the NFL draft in one more year with the way the rules are now. Not saying he will do that but its an option for him.

There is no way a new President/Chancellor is firing his new AD in his first year. As good or as bad as you perceive Anderson to be, he will be here for several years so stop whining and asking for his firing because no one of importance in the Athletic or Academic programs at College Park is going to follow your lead.

You certainly have the right to complain and I applaud your tenacity and loyalty to the program but there will come a time when this new coach will need that sort of support and while there will always be negativity on a blog, I am hoping for good things.

Posted by: sjm3091 | January 3, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

And finally, who are these posters who we've never seen before on the board who are trying to convince us that Edsall walks on water and turns lead into gold?

c'mon, if you're trying to sell us, at least mix in an insult towards Barno, pelleas, fushezzi, TFMA, Pete or DTD/Poopy....at like you've been here before.

given the mistrust earned by KA, I think its reasonable to assume the MD ADept is trying to spin this at the viral level as a huge win. Pathetic.

My buddy from UConn has the best insight to the hire: at UConn, no one goes to the games except for alumni of the visiting schools (Syracuse in particular). Uconn is a BB school first, womens BB second, and FB is not necessarily 3rd. But he rates Edsall as a good coach with a f-ed up mandate. Now that his mandate is 10 wins minimum, we'll see how well he does.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 3, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm among the minority who thinks Franklin would have been a top recruiter and a coach who would build upon Ralph's legacy.

Edsall? Better than Leach. You do need character at a traditional, high-quality institution like MD, and you can't just throw the institution's reputation up for grabs for the sake of some more points on the board. That said, is MD a hot program that will attract the best young coaches from around the nation? Maybe not, although I sure would have preferred one of those.

For now, I'm trusting the AD and the search committee that reviewed these guys at length. We need a program in place for several years, not just another stopgap season or two, trying to hang on to the mid-pack program that we have. Looks like it will be incremental rather than dramatic improvement, but that is better than just hanging on. I don't know the new guy--just some stats and reporter observations.

Posted by: EdDC | January 3, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HughGRection | January 3, 2011 10:49 AM

You probably mean Division 1-AA or the Football Championship Subdivision.

Cracks me up how many so called college football experts on this site think that UConn transitioned from a "DII" program ten years ago. Division 1-A (FBS), Division 1-AA (FCS), Division II, Division III.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 3, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

hgr:

I have been out of coaching for about 15 years and the rules have certainly changed but it used to be that even if you red-shirted, you would still have to sit out an additional year if you transfered to a Div. I school, which is why there are so few transfers in Div. 1.

As to moving to a Div. II school (I am with you on terminology), the big problem there is that, as wrong as it is, most of these kids see themselves playing at the next level and even though the huge majority will not, this is their mind-set so leaving for a Div II school is not an option for most. If they just wanted to play and get a good education it makes some sense but they have no TV coverage, no buzz and while I coached at Div II for 24 years and Div 1 for another 6 its just a huge difference.

Agree with you 100% that wins are wins and if its 10-3 or
30-27 as long as we get 10 or 11 next year things will be fine.

Posted by: sjm3091 | January 3, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

" the bottom line is there stadium is still 45 minutes away from campus, and they’re campus is located in the middle of nowhere."

You (or Farrell) need to educate yourself on the difference between "there," "they're," and "their." In both cases above the word should be "their"!

Posted by: dhoffmey | January 3, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Barno, you obviously don't "bleed red and black" like DOB does. Understatement of the year perhaps?

Sure no Smith, but you of all people know that the WR position is one of the few positions that has had an imense amount of depth for the last few years. Remember, it was deep enough to make Tate switch positions just to get his talent on the field. We'll be just fine at WR. Franklin is a great recruiter and a great offensive mind. But you'd be lying if you didn't admit that there were times and play calls that just left you totally befuddled. Franklin, strictly as a playcaller wasn't anything special. Edsall likes to run a pro-style offense with a few elements of the spread worked into it (just like Fridge). We'll be just fine on offense.

Sure that UConn offense leaves a lot to be desired, but MD has way more offensive talent than that UConn team. Fridge left this team in great shape to make a run in the ACC next year.

I will say this, if the hire was Leach, Danny would have definitely transferred, or at the very least, given it considerable thought.

The first objective for Edsall needs to be to retain Don Brown. That defense, with some more speed will be tough to beat next year.

Posted by: jmolina77 | January 3, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

By the way, if you redshirt a freshman, the bet is that his senior season five years ahead will be better than playing a few minutes right now as a freshman. If you get enough of those, you can get to the better bowls. Of course if you get the 5 star guys, you can just go ahead and play them!

Posted by: EdDC | January 3, 2011 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmolina77 | January 3, 2011 11:12 AM

Edsall is a defensive minded head coach - would he consider going outside his stable of coaches for defensive coordinator and pick Brown? That seems unlikely - do they run similar systems? Do they have a relationship?

I bet Brown ends up at Vandy, which would be a nice little staff win for Franklin.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 3, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: EdDC | January 3, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

The problem is that Edsall may just be using this job as a stepping stone for the next "big" job. He was a serious candidate for ND, and has been talked about for the other premier jobs in the country. If he has success at Maryland in the first 2-3 years, expect him to take the first big job to open up (Texas, OU, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, 'Bama) or a job that's offered from the NFL. This guy has no ties to Maryland, and despite the feel-good story that he grew up in PA a Terps fan (whoever came up with that one needs to take some PR lessons, because anyone saying they grew up in PA rooting for Maryland instead of PSU is lying), there nothing aside from money keeping him in College Park. The guy didnt' even have enough loyalty to the school that gave him his break to ride back on the team flight after a tough loss. Nope, for him, it was off to the next job.

It's a Catch-22 with this hire, because as fans, we all want the Terps to be successful on the football field, but with Edsall, success means that he's out the door before all of Fridge's recruits matriculate. If he fails, we as fans are all miserable and frustrated that a talented team took a step back because of our AD's overinflated ego.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 3, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | January 3, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

It looks like Edsall and MD will attempt to retain Brown, and will give him an offer...but who knows if it will be a serious one. We'll just have to see.

Posted by: jmolina77 | January 3, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

For fans like me that love MD Basketball, but dont really care about the football team since they have been underwhelming for years,,,this hire left me exactly as is. If we had hired Leach, I would have been extremely interested and would have watched.

I am just saying this because I think this is what we will see, a bunch of fence sitters that will now just wait and see, with Leach a bunch of us would have been excited from day 1.

Posted by: cm88 | January 3, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Russtinator-I grew up in the Philadelphia area and was a big MD fan. I have never rooted for Penn State. So don't call me a liar.

Posted by: fellowfan | January 3, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I am curious about Michael Nebrich (QB @ Lake Braddock) who committed to UConn.

Posted by: ljo211 | January 3, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fellowfan | January 3, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Did you or any of your family attend Maryalnd? I have a hard time believing someone living in PA that doesn't have any ties to the Terps would be a Maryland fan over State Penn.

I know lots of people from PA that are Maryland fans, but they all went to College Park. Half of Elkton Hall my freshman year was from Cherry Hill/Philly. Edsall has no reported ties to the university (no alums in his family or close circle), so it's seriously perplexing to think a kid growing up in PA would indepedently choose to root for the Terps in the 60's and early 70's.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 3, 2011 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Russtinator,

Your scenario is not bad--two or three years of Edsall's wild success, and then Edsall's jump to a better program. I'll take that, until the Terps can become a top program in our own right. In the meantime, a hefty contractual buy-out placed on Edsall will ease the pain of a premature jump, and maybe even prevent a too-quick jump from happening altogether.

As far as the assumption that the new AD has this runaway ego: I'm not sure where you get that, although I don't know KA as well as you presumably do. To me, KA is taking a rather safe course in setting the Terp FB program up for incremental success over the years. It seems rational rather than ego-driven, a safe middle ground in between (1) hanging on to an existing mid-pack situation with an older coach who does not take care of his health, and (2) rolling the bones on a high-flying litigator. I almost wish our new AD had more of an ego, to take a chance on some young guy on the rise (but not Leach).

Posted by: EdDC | January 3, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cm88 | January 3, 2011 11:46 AM

Umm, are you less of a Maryland basketball fan - because they've been equally underwhelming over the last 7 years.

I'm hoping for improvement in both programs in the next few years.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 3, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I posted this on another site, so any readers of that site will be familiar with this already.

Let's look at Edsall's recruiting at UConn since 2006 (redshirts seniors playing in the Fiesta Bowl) according to Rivals:

2011 (verbal): 7 two stars and 7 three stars
2010: 9 three stars and 11 two stars
2009: 1 four star, 3 three stars, and 17 two stars
2008: 3 three stars and 19 two stars
2007 - 1 four star, 4 three stars, and 25 two stars
2006: 3 three star and 19 two star

Let's look at Ralph's recruiting classes over the same period (mind you Franklin was only at MD for 2 years):

2011 (verbal): 1 four star, 15 three stars, 6 two stars
2010: 4 stars, 15 three stars, 2 two stars
2009: 6 four stars, 16 three stars, 4 two stars
2008: 6 four stars, 8 three stars, 3 two stars
2007: 1 five star, 3 four stars, 13 three stars, 9 two stars
2006: 1 five star, 6 four stars, 7 three stars, 8 two stars

Does anyone notice that Edsall's best year is light years BEHIND Ralph's worst year?

Edsall must feel ecstatic to inherit such talent.

My reading of the situation is that Anderson wanted Leach or Malzhan, only to be knee capped by Kirwin and the search committee. This doesn't look like a unanimous decision at all. The Sun's coverage has crushed the WaPo's coverage on this. Read Jeff Barker's story today. Randy Eaton, the 'CFO' of the athletic department, appears to not grasp the financial implications of this hire. Another guy on the committee seemed more worried about Edsall really, really, really liking MD. There's also the quote about the other guy (Leach) not trying to fit his system to MD's current roster but that Edsall "had a plan" to adapt his system to fit MD's roster. So if that's the concern, why fire Ralph again? Of course Leach would run a drastically different offense. That was the point. If Edsall really has a plan to change his system to fit MD's roster, why did he bring his OC with him?

I can't blame Edsall at all. He's going to get a great raise and live in a better city. Ivan Mansel at ESPN tweeted something like "MD fires Ralph because he'd taken them as far as he could. Edsall fired UConn for the same reason."

Posted by: WheelsRI | January 3, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

russ,

looks like we'll have to accept a fair degree of disingenuity with this whole situation.

You lived in Elkton (high rise)? wasn't that the crappiest of all dorms? Community showers and such?

I recall being ecstatic with my freshman dorm (Leonardtown) after visiting friends in Elkton.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 3, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WheelsRI | January 3, 2011 12:16 PM

Does anyone (except for recruiting expert Mike Farrell, who's analysis was spot on) not notice in enormous difference between recruiting at UConn and recruiting at Maryland? Maybe not apples to oranges, but apples to pears. The University of Maryland was a founding member of the Atlantic Coast Conference (11 titles), has won a national championship, sits in one of the biggest metropolitan areas in the country... UConn was in the Yankee Conference as recently as the second Clinton administration.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 3, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

HGR-
Elkton is still better than the worst high rise of all: Easton Hall. Walking 20 minutes to a class at the other end of campus when it is 98 degrees outside is one of my least favorite memories.

As for MD fans from PA, I would imagine there are a good number out there with no immediate ties to the school. Especially closer to the border. But still, they are definitely a minority.

Posted by: jmolina77 | January 3, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

russ,

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 3, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, and I spent my sophomore year in Easton before moving to Somerset my junior year. That's what you got in the early 90's when some freshmen got stuck in the Quality in by Plato's Diner or were put in one of the high-rise dorms with 2 or 3 roomates (10'x12' rooms with 4 people, imagine that).

Posted by: Russtinator | January 3, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

jmolina -

mebbe I'm geting Elkton and Easton mixed up. I perhaps spent a bit of time intoxicated as a freshman. I recall an unacceptable bathroom situation in one of the highrises near Univ. Blvd. - community showers and no stalls around the toilets. I recall that a buddy of mine who lived there used to go to the (deserted) 3rd floor of the Biochem bldg to lay cable. Come to think of it, if I was on campus thats where I would go too (usually the deserted fourth floor). I think JP mentioned going to Leonardtown to avoid using the Sigma Chi facilities once. And on that note - where is DTD/Poopy?

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 3, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

"if I'm Danny O'Brien, I am seriously considering transferring. He may even get a waiver given the situation, but even if he didn't, he'd still have at least 2 years eligibility. And he'd have his pick of almost any team he wants."

Although Barno may deny this, he wants MD to fail next year. He would love to see DOB transfer to Vanderbilt and MD go 2-10. He would love to see Anderson be involved in a scandal that would also take down Loh. Is this really being a fan of the school or just being a fan of Fridge?

Posted by: Finnucane | January 3, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Kev29:

What makes you think he can ramp up at MD? That's also what recruiting expert Mike Ferrell was asking.

Boise State jumped from 1-AA to 1-A status in 1996. 14 years later, or should I say 4 years before UConn did the same thing, where is Boise State now? Not to mention UConn immediately joined the Big East. Boise State still isn't a member of a BCS conference school.

Think it's more difficult to recruit to Boise, ID or Storrs, CT? Half of the state of Connecticut is in the NYC TV market and the other half is in the Boston TV market. Draw a 200 mile radius around Storrs, CT and you get a better recruiting area than 200 miles in any direction from Boise, ID.

Facilities wise, Boise State's stadium is about the same size as UConn's. Yet Boise State sells out its stadium and UConn still doesn't. When Boise State made their first Fiesta Bowl, they sold out their ticket allotment and then some. UConn? Not so much.

Why is it that BSU gets better recruits playing in a worse conference in a more remote geographic region (where the closest recruiting ground in CA) than Edsall got at UConn?

We should expect a modest upgrade in recruiting from Edsall's past at UConn. That is, instead of 17 two star recruits, he'll hopefully get classes of 12-15 three star recruits.

Posted by: WheelsRI | January 3, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Here is the headline in today's New York Post: "Maryland Drives Off with Edsall." Maybe they were reading my posts on TI last night!

Posted by: petecard | January 3, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I would like someone at the news conference to ask if Larry Johnson Sr. (Penn State) was considered. This guy gets what he wants from the state every year and takes it to Happy Valley.

This is not rocket science. Maryland should have hired a coach with an exciting offense and who could recruit the state like Va Tech does.

Va Tech has a fence around the tide water area so much that other school's do not even go there because they feel it's not cost effective.

Tech takes kids that are 2 and 3 star kids from their state and they play in a BCS Bowl every couple of years.

Too early to say if this is a good hire or not but if the seats are not filled they will be in the same position as this year.

If he starts to build a fence around the state of Marylamd, DC and Northern Virginia he will be very successful. In the past Maryland did not even recruit Northern virginia.

They let Royster go to PSU. Edsall did get the big O/T kid out of West Potomac a couple years back and he got Nebrich (QB) out of Lake Braddock this year.

Posted by: phibetas373 | January 3, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Think it's more difficult to recruit to Boise, ID or Storrs, CT?

Storrs. It's in the middle of pro sports and college basketball central. Alumni does not care about the program, nor does general public. Boise might be isolated, but they've done a great job attracting West Coast talent to sign. Did Hawkins and Peterson have a lot to do with that - of course. But Boise State is a university fully committed to football and their rise has been exceptional. Other than TCU (another football first school), no one really compares to them. The fact that UConn even has a team competing for Big East titles amazes me - Edsall has a lot to do with that.

I'm giving Edsall a chance to see what he can do in his first couple seasons here. If he can't recruit at all and loses, then he and Anderson will pay the price.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 3, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Kev29...you forgot...we pay the price, too.

Posted by: WheelsRI | January 3, 2011 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Edsall is a pretty good coach and will do fine.

It just wasn't worth the high drama of paying the Fridge 2 million dollars and firing him after a 9-4 season where they won their bowl game.

Posted by: postfan1 | January 3, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Edsall is a pretty good coach and will do fine.

Posted by: postfan1 | January 3, 2011 1:23 PM

Postfan1 has just summed up the entire situation in two sentences. Can people just lighten up now and wait and see what happens? What's done is done and despite the opinions of some people on this board, there isn't anything you can do about it. If you are a Maryland fan, you will root for them and hope for the best, like always.

Posted by: marylandarlington | January 3, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Edsall is a pretty good coach and will do fine.

Posted by: postfan1 | January 3, 2011 1:23 PM

Posted by: marylandarlington | January 3, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmolina77 | January 3, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Kev29 is right in comparing UConn's recruiting issues with Boise's. Besides, Boise has no four stars coming in 2011, and just one (actually a 5 star) in 2010, and zero in 2009. So that's one 4 star or higher in three seasons.

Anyway, the Boise St. coach was not available, so why hold him up as the standard of who MD should have hired? Why would he come to MD when he could go anywhere?

You know, it could be that this guy Edsall was the best the Terps could do. Being able to sit in on the interviews would have helped in forming these instant opinions.

Posted by: EdDC | January 3, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

The big question is: who will Edsall hire as his assistants, including recruiting coordinator? Friedgen was moderately successful, but mainly because of Franklin (and Locksley before him). Friedgen drove Franklin away by reneging on the Jan 2012 date for the coach-in-waiting agreement. So, even if Anderson had caved in and granted Ralph a contract extension, who would he have done the recruiting?

Leach would have been a better choice for installing a prolific offense, but he isn't known as being a strong recruiter either.

Edsall wasn't my choice, but I didn't get a vote. Since he's our coach now, I'm behind him 100%. If he can compile a good staff, he'll be able to land good recruits.

Posted by: SmittyATL | January 3, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

For fans like me that love MD Basketball, but don't really care about the football team since they have been underwhelming for years...this hire left me exactly as is. If we had hired Leach, I would have been extremely interested and would have watched.

Posted by: cm88 | January 3, 2011 11:46 AM
___________________

It's people such as you who are the problem. One would think you would be happy with this hire, since it shows Maryland administrators are keeping football in its place.

Posted by: VPaterno | January 3, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

...he is way out there this time.

There is no intelligent reason O'Brien will transfer.

Posted by: sjm3091 | January 3, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Apparently some people have some serious reading comprehension issues. I never said O'Brien will transfer. I said IF I WERE HIM, I would consider it. Continuing to explain to us why he won't transfer is completely pointless because you are preaching to the choir: of course he's not going to transfer. Did you not see the post about his twitter message last night? He isn't going anywhere, so stop trying to convince people of this.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"Barno, you obviously don't "bleed red and black" like DOB does." -jmolina77

"I will say this, if the hire was Leach, Danny would have definitely transferred" -jmolina77
----------------------------------

Stop contradicting yourself

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

KA's reasoning for firing Fridge: "Stategic Business Decision" (ie filling the stands) and "Good to Great" (9-4 to ACC Championships). I see no way that either of these two were met. We should have just extended Ralph for 3 years. The good news is that even Jim Zorn could win 9 games with the Terps next year. 90% of our two-deep is back and DOB has another year of experience. Barno: No way DOB leaves. He already said he is staying and will graduate from UMd.

Posted by: aviscardo | January 3, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

As for recruiting, anybody else get the eerie feeling from this article that the recruiting will be the same or worse than Fridge? I think we'll get a short term bump from the new hire but nothing drastic. That said, recruits like winners. We should be pretty damn good for the next 2-3 years.

Posted by: aviscardo | January 3, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

WOW, this is amazing... Edsall is getting NO love on the boards. Lets try and forget (just for a second) how KA handled the RF firing and look at RE for a second. RE is a really good coach, he literally built the program by his bare hands... Not only is his record over the last 4 years well over .500 (33-19 w/ 2 conf championships) but he did it in freaking Connecticut! Do you guys have any idea how bad HS football is in New England & how difficult it is to get the few good players to college ball in New England? He did it with NO blue chip players, horrible facilities, and with NO budget!! He made UConn football not only relevant but also PROFITABLE, which is probably what set him apart from Leach (in addition to Leachs' drama). Lets also not forget that RE was considered a top up & coming coach that was sought after by ND, Florida, & The "U" among others top programs! He comes from the same coaching lineage as Tom Coughlin (he was on staff at Jacksonville when they went form expansion to AFC Champs). RE may not be the sexy name but his resume clearly proves that he can BUILD a program and win Championships. RF has put together a great foundation, and brought the Terps from the bottom of the barrel to almost respectable in the ACC. RE can take the program from barley mentioned (locally & nationally) to national relevance. Most of you local sports fans are delusional! You guys have been force fed crap for so long you can't tell the difference between "Good and Great" (pun intended). Haven't you learned that the Big Name isn't what leads to rings! It didn't work with the Wiz when they signed Arenas & co. It has never worked for the Skinz nor has it worked for the O's & its yet to see if the Ravens big name receivers can make it happen. Everyone was saying how bad the Pats were & how stupid we were when we got rid of Ty Law, Willie, Seymore, Vrabel, Moss etc. but Coach B and company believe in Team over Player. Now I'm not comparing KA & RE to my boys at all, but I like the idea of doing what's best for the program even if everyone thinks your crazy. This is a good hire not a bad one. Leach was the Ferrari (over price and high maintenance) while Edsall is the Camry (practical & reliable). RE wins championships, graduates players and makes profits. That sounds like a sound "business decision" to me whether we like it or not! So while you disgruntle DMV sports fans want to blame KA for embarrassing the Program & RF, take a second look at what RE did in Conn. Stop crying, start supporting this program and be happy that at least one Team from the DMV made a decision best for the Team not the Fans! Hopefully it rubs off. I can't wait to see Terps Rising this year...

Posted by: dasilva_ryan | January 3, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Barno, I think he reacted to your post about O'Brien transferring because although you did say, "If I were DOB..." you didn't ever actually say that his transferring is very unlikely and not realistic. Just saying, "If I were so-and-so, I'd do this and probably this would happen," does kind of make it sound like you are discussing his options if he decided to transfer. If you don't actually think O'Brien will transfer, then what's the point of your comment? You aren't him and he has already expressed his excitement for next year. Seems like a done deal to me on this subject.

Do not mean to be confrontational, apologize if it comes off that way.

Posted by: marylandarlington | January 3, 2011 2:23 PM | Report abuse

watching the news conf right now:

1) KA is not very articulate

2) RE seems kind of cheesy

3) KA dodged the question about whether RE was his first choice

4) Lots of spin going on

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

KAs favorite term is "body of work"

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Agree TerpfanMA, not only did he dodge it, he essentially let it be known (without actually saying it) that Edsall was not his first choice.

And now he just followed up with "Coach Leach came in here did a great job, I had a wonderful experience with him."

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 2:43 PM | Report abuse

hahaha...KA talked about all the positive emails he received from fans and coaches...his AD mailbox has been shut down since he fired fridge

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

If this presser is what we have to look forward to, I'm not impressed. The press tried to ask the right questions, but let Anderson off the hook. The department is very aware of the criticisms of this hire, epitomized in Anderson talking up Edsall's 20k increase in attendance (about equal to what Fridge did over his first 5 years at Maryland), and the fact that he "made this decision ALONE." That direct, pointed comment leads me to believe that something happened in the process, and it was important for him to emphasize in his openning remarks that there wesn't anyone ("Slappy" Kirwan) looking over his shoulder.

I did like Edsall's answer to the way he left UConn, and it was interesting that he pointed out the home at home already scheduled with his former school in the near future.

I wish the journalist that asked about the retention of assistants would have mentioned Brown and Sollazo by name, and that they would have made the staff at least partially official by this point (Edsall was officially hired at 5:25 last night---less than 18 hours after his interview, KA could get top assistants under contract yet?).

I was disappointed by Anderson's dodging of the ticket issue by continuously saying "his record speaks for itself," as he puts so much possitive spin on Edsall's stats that Eric Mangini could have kept his job in Cleveland with Anderson as his GM. He never really answered the question of how you get a coach that is famous for re-building (even Edsall commented about all of the rebuilding jobs he's done, Syracuse, BC, Jax, UConn), but failed to articulate why a coach that is a rebuilder can take an already strong program to the next level.

The presser was about as exciting as the hire---Blah!

Posted by: Russtinator | January 3, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I do feel bad for that Nebrich kid (QB at Lake Braddock) - the Post All-Met offensive player of the year, who committed to UCONN. I watched the Recruiting Insider video on this paper's web site where his high coach talked about how UCONN really, really came after him hard to be their QB. Now the coach and AD he signed to play for are out of there. Is it too late for him to change his mind? Maybe he'd like to follow Edsall to MD.

Posted by: DoctorJoe | January 3, 2011 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Pardon me, the coach and OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR" he signed up to play for.... not the AD.

Posted by: DoctorJoe | January 3, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

The presser was about as exciting as the hire---Blah!

Posted by: Russtinator | January 3, 2011 3:03 PM

Wait...a press conference wasn't exciting?! What is the world coming to?? I'm not sure why people continue to grasp at things to hate in this situation. The decision has been made and the plan is in motion. Edsall is on an upward trajectory; Fridge wasn't anymore. Did you think that maybe Maryland was going to get Bill Belichick? Either get over it or be quiet about it, jeez.

Posted by: marylandarlington | January 3, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DoctorJoe
------------
Doc Joe - Freudian slip - UMD wanted UConn's AD, but couldn't afford him - kinda ironic ;)

Nebrich was a beast this year - took out my son's Robinson team on the 2nd half comeback on way to state title. Maybe he redshirts and sits behind DOB 4 two years? Probably not if he wants to play as a redshirt frosh...DOB is a stone cold Terp. Some of U all who do not go to many games, if at all, better get out there and support the guys next year...it's high time to put up or shut up...

Posted by: terptek | January 3, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Top football recruit on hearing Randy Edsall is calling:

Who?

On hearing he came from UConn with a .500 record:

I'll pass...did Joe Pa call yet?

Posted by: DaveLopan | January 3, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"I'll pass...did Joe Pa call yet?"

Exactly.

Something the new AD has yet to understand.

But he will.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 3, 2011 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Small time AD hires small time head coach...Army mentality. We lose a loyal alum and Franklin, super recruiter, for a guy with a decent but unspectacular record...sound familiar?

How is RE an improvement over the Fridge?
Will this sell more tickets...doubt it.

The reason offered was to take the program to the next level, no? His record says otherwise.

I can't wait til the Post digs up the truth...I'm bettin' the boosters had something to do with it....and UA paid for the buyout...and lost Leach in return. Let's see how they respond

Posted by: inman1 | January 3, 2011 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I am writing from Westport Connecticut where I am buying four sets of season tickets.

Go Terps

Posted by: terp94 | January 3, 2011 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Are you Edsall's parents and siblings?

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 7:35 PM | Report abuse

As a 40 year TERP ticket holder, I am glad to see Edsall come on-board. We needed a change.............many thanks to Fridge for all his dedicated work over the past ten years. Now that the decision has been made let's get behind Edsall and help make him successful instead of whining like spoiled kids.......

Posted by: terps2011 | January 3, 2011 7:55 PM | Report abuse

That's pretty funny Barno1. My father-in-law is a UCONN season ticket holder who has witnessed that program's rapid ascension. As a fan of the Terps since the 80's you can imagine my frustration watching the Husky success in a state with horrible high school football and no college tradition at least since Yale beat Harvard. This is not Texas (TCU) or even Idaho(Boise State), nobody cares about football below the pro level here. Give RE a fan base and the talent in the Maryland/DC area and he is going to succeed.

Edsall will make you proud. At very least you won't see him whining at his kids about their girlfriends or complaining about officials. He will demand respect for our school and he will earn it on the field.

Thanks coach Friedgen and good luck coach Edsall

Go Terps

Posted by: terp94 | January 3, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks coach Friedgen and good luck coach Edsall

Go Terps

Posted by: terp94 | January 3, 2011 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Dear Terps Insider Readers,

This is my promise to you on how I define greatness in a football program. It's not difficult. It's not complex. It's simple:

As long as we are among the tops in the nation--among bowl teams--from state schools, in graduating our African American players...once every few years..I am happy with the decision to go with Edsall.

Seriously though, all jokes aside...that really is a tremendous, tremendous feat ladies. And gentlemen.

dir da dir da dir

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Sun coverage is much better. So are the Ravens. By the way, will the Post please take that picture of Lenny off the web page. We remember what happened and the story is old so take it off.

Posted by: linhtwu | January 4, 2011 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, "there's a lot of talent in Maryland" (?). Please. We have more talent in any of our top seven cities in Florida than in my home state. Edsall could sign every top Maryland HS player and never make the championship game.

Posted by: fsunc | January 9, 2011 9:26 AM | Report abuse