Posted at 9:13 AM ET, 01/31/2011

Mosley: 'I think we can win any game'

By Liz Clarke

It has taken razor-thin defeats, double-digit victories and a half-dozen variations on the starting lineup. But the identity of Maryland’s 2010-11 basketball team has finally taken shape over the last two games.

While not as talented as some, the Terps are more scrappy than most.
And on the heels of back-to-back road wins at Virginia and Georgia Tech that lifted the Terps (14-7, 4-3) into the top half of the ACC standings after an 0-2 start in league play, that gritty approach might be enough to salvage their NCAA Tournament hopes down the stretch.

“It’s been a long season for us. We’ve had a lot of ups and downs,” said junior guard Sean Mosley after Sunday’s 74-63 victory at Georgia Tech. “For us, we’ve just got to come out there and grind each and every time….Every team in the ACC is kind of not up to par. Last year [the competition] was more close. This year it’s kind of open. If we come out and play 40 minutes hard, I think we can win any game. I think the team is starting to realize that.”

Mosley had his best performance of the season against Tech, in the view of Coach Gary Williams. In addition to his 16 points (his most since leading the Terps with 21 in the season-opening 105-76 romp over Seattle), Mosley grabbed four rebounds, dished out three assists, had two steals, hit four of his five free-throw attempts and had a major hand in holding the Yellow Jackets under 40 percent from the field.

“It felt good to get back in rhythm and have more confidence in myself,” said Mosley, who has started all but one game this season. “And my teammates had a lot of confidence in me, giving me the ball.”

Mosley followed Coach Williams’ game plan dutifully, attacking Tech early and often at both ends of the court. He drove for a lay-up and rattled the rim with a dunk in the opening minutes to key a 10-4 lead and set the aggressive tone Maryland wanted on Tech’s home court.

“I wouldn’t say I need a game like this because I think even if I’m not scoring the basketball, I do other things to contribute to help my team to win,” said Mosley, a co-captain of the squad. “It was great for me to come out early and attack and get to the free-throw line and make some jumpers. It felt good for me. But I want to do anything to help my team to win.”

Maryland has a chance to avenge its 71-64 loss to Duke Wednesday when the Blue Devils visit Comcast Center. Tip-off is at 9 p.m. It’s the first of three home games for the Terps, who host Wake Forest Saturday and Longwood on Feb. 9.

By Liz Clarke  | January 31, 2011; 9:13 AM ET
Categories:  Gary Williams, Men's basketball  | Tags:  Gary Williams, Maryland basketball, Sean Mosley
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Middling Georgia Tech a beast at home
Next: Talkin' Terps: What should matter most to the Selection Committee?

Comments

I thought the announcers were having the same problem as Michael Reggi on Thursday night, but it was indeed Sean Mosely scoring all those points last night. The Terps are going to be a tough team to beat if they're getting consistant points from #14.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 31, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

ESPN is reporting that 3 major college coaches are getting fired this week:

Coach K: For losing 2 games to unranked opponents

Jim Calhoun: For failing to make either the NCAA or NIT in 06 and going to the NIT in 09

Roy Williams: For going to the NIT in 09 and being unranked this year

Tom Izzo: For losing 3 games in a row

Fans were upset and complained about their coaching and recruiting

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 31, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

that should read 4

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 31, 2011 11:10 AM | Report abuse

its ok terpfanma, the math SAT requirement was probably pretty low when you got in to MD. Otherwise, great post.

I understand that there is a sanctioned bonfire this year to prevent any post game rioting? Where do I need to drop off my sofa?

Once every few years we suffer a loss akin to the donut in MSG yesterday. we don't choke twice in a row, so MD better bring it. It would be nice if they brought it for 38.5 minutes so we can pull it out in the last minute and a half....again.

Posted by: Duke-Rulz-1995 | January 31, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey Duke, the verbal/reading requirement must have been equally low because you clearly didn't/weren't able to read the edit immediately following the first post indicating that the author realized it should have read four. Sometimes you idiots make it too easy.

Posted by: abaek5 | January 31, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

"in all seriousness, as a Duke fan, I believe we got caught looking ahead to the MD game. is there a bonfire if you guys lose?"Posted by: Duke-Rulz-1995

=> Yes. UMD students are throwing Duke fans in Comcast into the bonfire. You going? I hope so!

Posted by: terptek | January 31, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Terp fans will throw water bottles and batteries at Duke-Rulz-1995's parents.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 31, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

=> don't forget launching spitballs with drink straws Russ! lol

Posted by: terptek | January 31, 2011 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, I kind of nsulted all of you by referring to you as "Terp Fans." A lot of you are brain-dead-stupid-Terp-fans. You know the ones that want to get rid of GW. Them. I should have referred to them as such. The rest of you, I am looking forward to a spirited contest between two teams who need the win badly. One of whom of course you are likely to see in the FF again. Oh yeah, thats our par. Our this was a successful season. A trip to the FF. Years when we don't go to the FF are disappointing of course, but in those years we usually win the ACC tournament.

Of course winning a NC trumps all. Especially the repeat. oh well, I digress.

The winner of this game will likely win the ACC regular season. Or come in second. I hope we win but still love the Terps otherwise and wish you win out in the rest of your games this season. But not this Weds. Yes you are a rival, but I just can't hate you guys like I do the Tar Heels.

But to the ones of you who want to get rid of Gary Williams? Did you have a 3-digit SAT? Oh, and don't bring up the hiring Coach K away issue. He is coach for life. You SHOULD be thankful that you have yours.

Win or lose, have fun burning something after the game! At the officially sanctioned bonfire. Poopy, you have fun burning something before after and during the game.

Posted by: Duke-Rulz-1995 | January 31, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

a note to CM88 - you may want to try moving your lips along as you read the above. Oh, look he's comprehending. I'm talking about you.

Such anger and wrath. Oh no, he's got a lighter and a couch. Oh no stop it man. Alas, the PG county police.

Posted by: Duke-Rulz-1995 | January 31, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I will say this. The Terrapin fans are far more uncivil than the Tar Heel fans. Not sure why you guys get so ugly at the games. Its embarrassing for all involved. Chanting "aquafina" was funny though.

But our kids are much funnier and organized than you and win a lot more home games as well. Not the frontrunner fans who have no association with Duke other than we win. I mean Duke alumni, students, and families of those people. The tradition of preparing to harass the opposition predates Saint Mike K's arrival at the school.

For all of my insults above, you guys are far smarter than most Tar Heel fans. Just weirdly angry about it.

Posted by: Duke-Rulz-1995 | January 31, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Who is this Duke rulz geek and why are you on the Terps message board? You need something to do dude, you won't find me on a Duke message board trying to start electronic arguments.

Posted by: jpfterps | January 31, 2011 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Duke-Ruiz-1995 I feel bad that as a Duke fan there are no blogs for you to express yourself in. Is that due to Duke grads lacking SAT score aptitude to create one. Perhaps the Duke nerdy chants will give you what you find lacking in your life. Duke crowds will never match Comcast's fierce passion for the Terps. Has any school prior to Duke been so easily disliked by hoops fans. I think it must be the nerdy chants or fans that think it is rude when the other team wins. Good luck in your quest for meaning in your life. Go Terps.

Posted by: torope | January 31, 2011 9:41 PM | Report abuse