Posted at 9:38 PM ET, 01/ 2/2011

Randy Edsall plans to bring three UConn assistants with him to Maryland

By Steve Yanda

New Maryland Coach Randy Edsall met briefly Sunday night with the hold-overs from Ralph Friedgen’s coaching staff and informed them he planned to bring three members of his staff at Connecticut – offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead, running backs coach Terry Richardson and special teams coordinator Lyndon Johnson – with him to College Park, according to a source with knowledge of the discussion.

Moorhead -- who was an assistant coach at Georgetown from 2000-03 -- also served as Connecticut's quarterbacks coach, and Johnson also coached the Huskies' outside linebackers.

Connecticut ranked No. 34 in the nation in rushing offense this season, averaging 174.7 yards per game. The Huskies tied for No. 63 in the nation in scoring offense (26.4 ppg), tied for No. 95 in total offense (325.8 ypg) and ranked No. 110 in passing offense (151.1 ypg). Connecticut tailback Jordan Todman was the nation's second-ranked rusher this season, averaging 141.3 ypg and tallying 14 touchdowns.

The Huskies ranked No. 3 in the country in kickoff return average (27.0 ypr) and returned three kickoffs for a touchdown. They tied for No. 62 in punt return average (8.2 ypr), tied for No. 86 in kickoff return average against (22.5 ypr allowed) and No. 91 in punt return average against (11.0 ypr allowed).

The source said Edsall told the Maryland coaches he would keep an open mind in regards to keeping the rest of them on board.

Maryland defensive coordinator Don Brown has interviewed for the defensive coordinator position at Vanderbilt, as well as for the head coaching position at Elon, according to the source.

By Steve Yanda  | January 2, 2011; 9:38 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How do you feel about the Randy Edsall hire?
Next: Mike Farrell: Randy Edsall will be required to take 'different approach' to recruiting at Maryland

Comments

It's gets worse...

Posted by: BD-EC | January 2, 2011 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Its makes perfect sense that he brings his OC along...it was early Nov when the Huskies last scored an offensive TD....Bravo!

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 2, 2011 10:08 PM | Report abuse

This is a complete fiasco! The Terp Alumni are furious and the war for Edsall's head has begun! See the opinion poll below:

Posted by: mayday82 | January 2, 2011 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Maryland fans mostly seem to be going insane about this hire, though quick chats with non-Terp friends (alum/fans of other schools) and they seem to think this is an a smart hire. A coach respected throughout college football, conservative but gets a lot from his kids. I'm fine with it - would have been happy with Leach too, but I guess the university was unsure about the baggage with him. Edsall from 2011 on is probably better for the program than a renewed Fridge minus Franklin. Hate to say it, but it seems to be the case. Let's see how the players react. Hope O'Brien and Tate (among many) buy in.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 2, 2011 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Exciting times ahead. (Yawn.)

Posted by: MrScrotums | January 2, 2011 10:21 PM | Report abuse

A few points:

I did not want Leach.

Edsall was not a consideration for me. I consider it a downgrade - lateral at best.

If the AD says Fridge's firing was a business decision than I don't understand this. Edsall does not and (likely) will not fill seats. (That's one area I will say Leach would help.)

I still don't understand why Bud Foster was never in consideration. But then again, that's why I'm not an Athletic Director. But then again, I don't really see any difference between me and KA

Posted by: fushezzi | January 2, 2011 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Yanda and Prisbell, the modern day Woodward and Bernstein of investigative athletic journalism: can you guys please get the scoop on what happened with Mike Leach? Rumor and speculation is that Kevin Anderson wanted him, but the Chancellor wouldnt let it happen??? Everyone here is fired up at Anderson, calling for him to be fired, but if he wasnt allowed to hire the coach he wanted, our anger is greatly misdirected. On Ralphs way out the door, he stated that it would be difficult for anyone to succeed due to the nature of the school...is this a bit of what he was getting at?

Posted by: asnis715 | January 2, 2011 10:34 PM | Report abuse

If I was Danny O'Brien, these numbers and ranks wouldn't lean me towards staying with this program.

Posted by: OBE1DC | January 2, 2011 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Anderson said upon being introduced as the AD at Maryland:

“Maryland athletics is in good shape. But we do have our challenges. It is my vision to take the program from good to great. It is my expectation to get everyone on the Maryland bus.”

Later, Anderson added, “We’re going to compete at the highest levels, and we’re going to compete to win. The University of Maryland does not finish second. We finish first in everything we do.””

Please ask how these goals/expectations are going to be achieved when you are at the press confrence tomorrow. At the very least, ask him to provide his definition of great.

Posted by: rich263 | January 2, 2011 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Kevin Anderson's mom ever tell him that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?

I guess we should just be thankful that they didn't hire Leach. That guy would have been bad news -- he relies on gimmicks over basics.

Posted by: postfan1 | January 2, 2011 11:07 PM | Report abuse

His gimmicks sure seemed to work. He led the nation in passing 6 of 9 years he was at Texas Tech.

Posted by: jj250 | January 2, 2011 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I've seen this show once before. If the old-timers can remember back to the Len Bias tragedy of the late 1980's, you will find an unraveling of the entire athletic department. Lefty never recovered and Bobby Ross self-destructed at the NC State game the next football season. I remember it like yesterday watching Bobby sprint the length of the field after the game to "cold cock" the ref. Ahh memories.

Moral learned from the pathos of those unhappy days...hiring marginal athletic directors = relegation to the basement of the ACC for years to come. Unless the other sports (read: Basketball) outperform, Anderson will be the first of many lame choices of future AD's.

Alas as an Alumni, this looks to be an unfortunate situation indeed and will probably affect this year's financial support.

Posted by: skipjackpete | January 2, 2011 11:18 PM | Report abuse

This is terrible...as a MD alum, I hope I'm wrong. I wanted Leach.

Posted by: Bullets78 | January 2, 2011 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Terrable decision. I will never believe the master plan was to get rid of Ralph for Edsal. Something happened in the middle and it castrated Kevin Anderson. If he couldn't get who he wanted then who is calling the shots. If this is who he wanted, he is an idiot and totoally misread the alumni base.

Posted by: eboock | January 2, 2011 11:20 PM | Report abuse

From D1Discourse: Friedgen was 13-20 against top-25 opponents. That may not seem great, but consider the Terps were 13-82-2 against ranked foes in the 40 seasons before he arrived.

His three immediate predecessors were a doleful 2-46-1 against ranked foes. So, yeah, 13-20 is pretty good in comparison.

VICTORIES OVER RANKED TEAMS, MARYLAND FOOTBALL COACHES

13: Ralph Friedgen, 2001-10 (13-20)

10: Jim Tatum, 1947-55 (10-9)

6: Bobby Ross, 1982-86 (6-12-1)

4: Jerry Claiborne, 1972-81 (4-17)

3: Tom Nugent, 1959-65 (3-5)

2: Joe Krivak, 1987-91 (2-17-1)

1: Tommy Mont, 1956-58 (1-7-1)
1: Bear Bryant, 1945 (1-0)
1: Frank Dobson, 1936-39 (1-0)

0: Ron Vanderlinden, 1997-2000 (0-10)
0: Mark Duffner, 1992-96 (0-19)
0: Roy Lester, 1969-71 (0-2)
0: Bob Ward, 1967-68 (0-2)
0: Jack Faber, 1935, 1940-41 (0-3)
---------------------------------

So that's

Ralph Friedgen with the most wins (13) against ranked teams in MD history

Mike Leach was 11-30 against ranked teams at Texas Tech.

And...Randy Edsall was 1-16 against ranked teams at UConn.

Awesome!

Posted by: Barno1 | January 2, 2011 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Its simple. I've lived in CT for 3 years, and what Edsall has done with UConn football despite being in the shadows of Mens and Womens BBall cannot be cast in any negative light.

He is respected in this area as much as Fridge ever was, for many of the same reasons; He runs a clean program and fields a fundamentally sound football team year in and year out. He's had 4 winning seasons in a row, and 5 out of his last 7.

Compare that to Fridge, who hasn't strung together winning seasons since '01 to '03. Incidentally, that indicates that he won with juniors and seniors which someone else recruited.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 2, 2011 11:35 PM | Report abuse

skipjackpete:
Agree with you, but correcting one point: Bobby Ross blew up at the UNC game. The scoreboard clearly said that the Tar Heels had no time outs but the refs gave it to them anyway. That resulted in UNC being able to kick the winning field goal. Bobby didn't hit him; he just just grabbed him. I know because I was there at the game (with the marching band) and the whole thing happened in front of us. But you're right: it was a signal of the end of the Bobby Ross era at MD.

Seems like old times...

Posted by: ecglotfelty | January 2, 2011 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Fridge has had bowl seasons in 4 of the last 5 years, 2009 was a fluke. His best years were his first 3 years AND the next 3 years... the O'Brien era was shaping up to be a great 4 years run for the Terps and could give this program what it takes to be taken to the next leve. But it's quite possible that Kevin Anderson has washed all that away now, all in a failed attempt to make a name for himself.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 2, 2011 11:56 PM | Report abuse

I've thought this over.

It's not that I don't think that Randy Edsall is a good coach. I have a lot of respect for what the UConn football program has accomplished in the past decade, and Randy Edsall deserved consideration for any of the top coaching gigs in the country.

Under any other circumstance, I would have been thrilled to welcome Edsall as the HC of the Terrapin football program.

If UMD wasn't going to commit to RF past 2011, then I can't argue with cutting bait.

What I have issue with is, allowing the media to hype up Mike Leach, GET HIS NAME in the papers ON MARYLANDS BOWL GAME NIGHT, and then showing up to the presser with.....

...Randy Edsall????

On the other hand, didn't we just see this "bait and switch" act from Kevin Anderson/Dean Wormer after the NC State game? As far as I am concerned, this no-class POS AD is on double PUBLIC probation with me!

OK, new idea for a WaPo poll, "Which College Park riot will occur first?
a- UMd dumps That School in Durham in a random basketball game
b- Kevin Anderson/Dean Wormer tries to pull this Sugar Honey Iced Tea with Gary?"

Posted by: mabkhar | January 3, 2011 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to Pete, terpfan and other fridge haters. Your hard work in helping to get fridge fired has paid off in spades. We got Randy f'n edsall! He's 74-70! That's 4 full games over .500! Stadium will be sold out, 5 star recruits, national championships! Thank god we listened to you!

Posted by: aviscardo | January 3, 2011 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah! All we had to do was throw a fellow alum under the bus to achieve such greatness!

Posted by: aviscardo | January 3, 2011 12:27 AM | Report abuse

It really wasn't worth throwing the Fridge under the bus for this.

The only thing worse would have been throwing the Fridge under the bus for a guy who locks student athletes into sheds and berates them if they get injured.

Posted by: postfan1 | January 3, 2011 2:23 AM | Report abuse

Spent some time reading blogs on Hartford Courant. Some UCONN fans are glad to see Edsall leave, some are bitter that he is leaving, quite a few don't consider UMD a step up over UCONN. A lot of them complain about his recruiting and lack of offense. I'm thinking neither UMD or UCONN is a destination for a big name coach right now. At least Leach would have given a buzz to Terp Nation.

Posted by: erniegogo | January 3, 2011 6:44 AM | Report abuse

The hiring of Edsall should keep my season ticket prices the same, although they are a bit steep.. I could just wait until the week of the game, and use the deal Maryland gives to try and get butts in the seats.. How about sending some of those deals to the loyal season ticket holders..But no, we'll get one free ticket to bring a friend to the Towson game..Now that's a thank you for your support!!!
Take a poll from the Terrapin Club after one week, see how many new members or season ticket requests this hiring brings.. I doubt you'll have any trouble getting through, the phones won't be ringing off the hook...

Posted by: frostanna | January 3, 2011 8:12 AM | Report abuse

No buzz is good news. We need a coach who can win and that is the best buzz we can get. Leach was never going to be Terp Coach and it is silly lamenting a silly Pirate who throws the ball on every down. Offensive football has to have balance and Edsall has the right balance to be our next coach. This is indeed an improvement over Leach, maybe not Friedgen. I was despondent over firing Friedgen but hiring Edsall makes complete sense. Edsall is a good fit for our young team. He stresses defense and a balanced offense including running the ball. I just do not see the downside to this hire. Time to fall in line Terp fans and Welcome to College Park Randy. Go Terps.

Posted by: torope | January 3, 2011 8:16 AM | Report abuse

"Strategic Business Decision" = "Taking my talents to South Beach"

Posted by: mabkhar | January 3, 2011 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Avis, nobody on this board got anyone hired or fired...grow up dude!

We all have opinions on whether Fridge was a great/not great coach, but I think everyone is wondering where this clown Edsall came from...

Piling up a .500 record in the Big East..WOW! And who cares about going from Div AA to Div A??? Most likely that is just a matter of filling out some paperwork, adding a couple of sports and increasing scholarships!

This guys passsing offense was ranked 110 in the nation, his entire team got exposed by OK in the bowl game as a complete fraud, and he hasnt scored an offensive TD since early Nov

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I think one of the posters got it right....this was a desperation move to get someone in the chair by 1/4...clearly KA thought he had Leach in the bag..he was the #1 choice...the #2 choice chose not to travel to CP for the interview, and the #3 choice? Well, thats who we are stuck with...right now the UMD Marketing people are working overtime trying to manufacture as much good news as possible....we will probably hear how supportive he was after one of his players got murdered last year...we will hear he is a hard worker...I absolutely love the fact that he was a Maryland fan as a kid!!! Priceless..I bet he mentioned that in the interview!!!!

I bet we beat Towson 10-6

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Here is a fairly common post from the UConn boards:

Happy to see Edsall go. His offenses were an affront to all football fans.

He'll have a tough time at Maryland. They fired Fridge because there weren't enough fannies in the seats. How brain dead does their AD have to be think Edsall will sell seats

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I Edsall can't keep Don Brown on staff, this team will be lucky to get to 6-6 next season. Thanks Kevin Anderson for wasting a year of DOB's eligibility!

Posted by: Russtinator | January 3, 2011 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm okay with Randy Edsall leading our program. I'm also okay with the fact that he is a defensive minded coach. Perhaps we'll finally be able to stop the FSU's and VT's of the world (I said perhaps). I also like that he has some local ties and is a relatively local guy himself. I hear people criticizing the conference he is coming from and yes, it was the Big Least last year, but every other year the Big East was comparable or even better than the ACC. Remember Ralph Friedgen MD team had trouble beating WVU in recent years and they were not the cream of the crop in that conference most years. I was never sold on Leach for multiple reasons and the biggest is that he doesn't have a clue how hard it is for MD to recruit locally. I guarantee that Edsall understands this and can adapt to it better than anyone else on the list. Now, here is my main problem with this hire - why are we letting him bring his boring offensive coordinator with him? And two, this does nothing for selling seats and suites. This hire is a sound professional hire but that also means it is a boring hire thus creating zero excitement for next year. But honestly, did you expect MD to hire the off-the-wall offensive genius. The school is inside of the beltway and political correctness still rules. Good, boring hire - Go Terps!

Posted by: terpfan34 | January 3, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I bet we beat Towson 10-6

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 9:07 AM
_____________________________________________

Very perceptive, TerpfanMA.
Boy, I hope you are wrong about Towson
Go Terps!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | January 3, 2011 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Terpfan,
You are on a roll.
I also agree w/ your last post that Edsall over Leach at least regarding not being zany, understanding local recruits...

I also agree w/ you regarding OC.
I would have liked to see someone that was a QB coach in the NFL, take on the OC position here at UMD to really work w/ OBrien.

Oh well, guess OBrien will work on his skills of handing off and praying that the run is big enough to convert 3rd and 5.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | January 3, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Not thrilled with the Edsall hire, appalled at the thought of him bringing his oc here! Morehead could make Franklin look like an offensive genius. Poor Danny, what he must be thinking!

Posted by: majackmom | January 3, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse