Posted at 5:21 AM ET, 01/12/2011

Scouting struggling Wake Forest

By Liz Clarke

Much like Maryland (10-5, 0-2), Wake Forest has been confronted with the challenge of absorbing lots of new players on its roster this season, with five incoming freshmen and one transfer (former Georgetown reserve Nikita Mescheriakov, a 6-foot-8, 215-pound forward from Belarus).

But the Demon Deacons (7-9, 0-1), in addition, have a new coach: Jeff Bzdelik, one of three first-year ACC coaches this season.

Bzdelik compiled a 36-58 record at Colorado, his most recent stop. In 2009-2010, his squad was 15-16. Before Colorado, he coached at Maryland-Baltimore County (25-31) and for two seasons at Air Force, his only stop with a winning record (50-16).

Maryland Coach Gary Williams said he has watched Bzdelik and feels he has done a good job wherever he has been. “Coaching is interesting because it’s always different circumstances,” Williams said. “Sometimes you get a job where you have everybody on the same page, and it makes it kind of easy. Other times you get jobs that are tough. Jeff has had a couple of tough jobs before he came to Wake Forest. But you ask anybody: He’s got ability.”

In a conference call this week, Bzdelik was blunt about his disappointment in his team’s lack of toughness so far, particularly after dropping its ACC season opener to North Carolina State, 90-69.

“We had about six or seven opportunities to take charges [against N.C. State]. We took none [but] tried to dodge them or block shots instead of standing there and taking a hit,” Bzdelik said. “Toughness is executing under duress, taking charges, blocking people. All those areas we need to grow in. Inexperience and youth is no excuse. We need to do those things if we’re going to have a chance to win.”

The Deacons were 20-11 last season, which ended with a second consecutive NCAA tournament appearance and the firing of coach Dino Gaudio. They return only one starter from that team; guard Gary Clark is the lone senior.

Given this season’s unkowns, Wake Forest was picked to finish last in the ACC by the league’s media in October. It was the first time they’d been picked last since 1987-88, when the conference had just eight teams.

By Liz Clarke  | January 12, 2011; 5:21 AM ET
Categories:  Gary Williams, Men's basketball  | Tags:  Gary Williams, Jeff Bzdelik, Maryland basketball, Wake Forest basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Four assistants named to Randy Edsall's staff
Next: Maryland quarterback Danny O'Brien named freshman all-American

Comments

This game is the ultimate trap game because most people will think getting caught in a "trap" by this team is impossible. A meaningless win, a devastating loss. I sure hope Gary will have our team's heads straight.

Posted by: petecard | January 12, 2011 7:55 AM | Report abuse

I see the Terps starting off slow -- in part due to the Duke loss hangover -- and then pulling away late and winning by 14. Another double-double by JW, a solid all around game by Mosley and Stoglin bounces back with double digit points. (None of which are really a reach).

Gary will have the team ready to take care of business before heading to Philly.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 12, 2011 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I don't think this is a trap game in the pure definition of the term. Wake cannot beat anyone in the ACC, and it's going to take a seriously bad performance from a visitor to Lawrence-Joel and a perfect game from the Deacons to get them an ACC win this year. This is one of those games the Terps need to maintain their focus, continuously feed JW in the post, and never take the foot off the pedal. I am not worried about this game, because I know Gary hasn't even talked to his team about who they're playing on Saturday.

Terps in a blowout 96-58. JW gets 26 and 15.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 12, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse

This game is a must win.

Posted by: H1Dynasty | January 12, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Flat out gotta have this one. No other way around it. GO TERPS!!

Posted by: Section505203 | January 12, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Wake is not a good team. They did improve with the addition of big guy from G-town, but still a poor team. Maryland needs the win. If they play half the game they did at Duke, they win by ten.

Posted by: mdterps84 | January 12, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I don't remember another time when MD was a 12 point favorite on the road in the ACC. Apparently Vegas thinks this is the safest Terp road win in the Gary era.

Take the Terps. Big

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Pete,

NOT a trap game. Even though the 3 seniors are not true leaders in crunch time, they know enough to realize that this is a must game with having to play at Nova this weekend. This is a rare chance in ACC play for a definite win and they don't want to squander it. Wake has good 3-point shooters. If they defend these guys like they did at Duke, they will roll to a big win.

Posted by: larry31 | January 12, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Expect a big game from Cliff Tucker on his bday. Also expect they won't be able to stop Jordan Williams.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Level set request:

JW has had a tremendous TREMENDOUS run going back to last season. The consecutive dub-dub streak is a nice to have, but the guy has been playing incredible ball all season in all areas with the exception of FT shooting.

He has that leadership thing. Joe Smith didn't, Buck Williams not until later in his career, Bias was very quiet, don't know about the teams prior to Buck.

Like Smith - who was INCREDIBLY consistent and really did not take a lot of shots - the team around him needs to step up. consistently. I'm not seeing it. Almost all of the ten deep have had good games, some great games.

So two questions:

1 - At what metric does JW's hot streak end? no dub-dub or a different measure?

2 - Who will be our second leading scorer at the end of the season (avg. pts. per game)?

for me: 1 - next time late FT misses costs a game, regardless of Pts/Reb. 2 - DG. He has definitely turned some sort of corner in elevating his recent play. Its been a number of games straight.

Your thoughts?

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 12, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I think Dino has benefitted from all the attention JW has been getting, but I think if the Terps are to be successful (NCAA Tournament), the second leading scorer has got to be a guard. Dino has developed a great mid-range jumper, and his defense really keeps the Terps in games. However, against teams with better interior defenses (Duke does not have good interior defense, they play post-denial) like GaTech, Clemson, and Miami, he might run into some problems.

I think Stoglin could emerge as the second leading scorer, and think his performance at Duke could be chalked up to his first visit to Cameron Indoor. I think he'll put up some big numbers tonight against Wake's slower guards.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 12, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Russ that it has to be a guard to step up. Guard play wins in college basketball; this is clear in that JW is the best big man on the floor almost 100% of the time, but the wins are not consistent with his play. I believe that in order for this team to start beating good teams, Cliff Tucker has to be the player to step up. He just missed a couple threes in the second half at Duke. I'm hoping his confidence doesn't drop because those shots didn't fall. He needs to keep shooting and be that sixth man who comes off the bench and is a scoring spark. I love Stoglin's game, but I don't see him being consistent enough to be our second leading scorer. If he is, I don't think there's any way we make the tourney.

As for JWill, I think the only way he has a "bad" game is if he gets into foul trouble. Otherwise, I can't really see him struggling. If he is in the game, the only person who can stop him is himself.

GO TERPS!

Posted by: CYork1 | January 12, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

GO TERPS!

Posted by: CYork1 | January 12, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post. Not sure what happened there.

Posted by: CYork1 | January 12, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

HGR, to answer your question: cliff tucker will be the 2nd leading scorer on the team at season's end. I think he's going to surprise some people with his play in the ACC this season.

Anyone else worry that JW might leave early (either this year or the next)?

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I think by tip-off Gary will have beaten into his players the notion of this being a "trap" game so I'm not too worried about them coming out slow. I think they'll come out with some uptempo play for a good start to the game. That said it's unfortunate that the Terps are already at a "must win" point in their early ACC schedule.

I hope alot of our players will use this game to get that bad taste from the Duke game out of their mouths and Williams will put up a quadruple-double, in the 1st half.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | January 12, 2011 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Poopy/Dixon,

The olive branch offer is only good if you are going to be genuine about it. Whining about me calling you an idiot or a moron in the past is disingenuous when you often call people racists. Not to mention your screen name is, well, a mockery of a family's dead dog.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 11, 2011 11:25 PM |
----------------------

I should've been more specific. I was actually referring to the other posters who come on here and try to make their point, only to be called an "idiot," "moron," "bandwagoner," "worst kind of fan UMD could have," or have their posts called "idiotic," "moronic," etc.

I couldn't care less what you call me but why is it acceptable for you to berate other posters who you simply may disagree with?

Again, all for the peace/love/understanding but don't get why you should be allowed to get away with being rude to others?

Posted by: DixonTheDog | January 12, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Some very good comments and thanks HughG for raising the questions.

I really agree that JW's FT problem is such that losing a game because of it off-sets any double/double.

While DG has stepped up to some extent I too am looking for a guard to be the #2 scorer and CT would seem to fit the bill. With Stogs it could go either way. If he becomes the #2 scorer but doesn't improve his shot selection then CYork makes an excellent point: that might mean that no one else has stepped up and we struggle. I'm rooting for Russ to be right on this.

I keep looking to Mosley to really be the #2 guy, not scorer, but catalyst. The bottom line is that JW is really alone in delivering consistently and we need more if we are going to beat good teams.

Posted by: petecard | January 12, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Stoglin is capable of being our second fiddle to JW. In fact I think Stoglin needs to come of the bench with Tucker. The consensus is that Pe' and Stoglin have similar games -- which is true -- but there are some key differences. Pe' has a slightly better A/TO ratio which is obviously desired from your PG. Also, Stoglin has played 17 more minutes (season total) than Pe' and hoisted up 66 more shots. In fact, despite playing the 6th most minutes on the team, Stoglin has put up the 3rd most shots. Not only that, but he's shooting 44% -- which while not horrible, ranks amongst the worst on the team (behind only Mosley and Palsson).

Either move Stoglin to the wing (starting or off the bench) or tell him to protect the ball more and shoot less. A shoot-first PG is not what this team needs.

I think the scoring spark amongst starters (and the team as a whole) has to be Mosley or Bowie. Sadly, I don't see either stepping up.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 12, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you have to worry about JW leaving after this year. If this team misses the tournament I think he will be gone. He might go anyway if he doesn't see a real chance for the team to be much better next year. That means another reliable big and a really solid point guard. Are they on the team now? Who knows.

Posted by: petecard | January 12, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

yeah it sucks being in this position but we've been here before and turned things around. 2006 we were 1-4, 2-5, and 3-6 at various points in the ACC, only to rebound to 10-6 and 25 wins overall (the 3rd most wins in MD history).

Back in 99/2000 we were 0-3 in the ACC and went on a tear to end up 11-5 in the conference.

Gary will find a way to get this team rolling.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else worry that JW might leave early (either this year or the next)?

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I think under normal circumstances, JW would be gone at the end of the season. He would be a lottery pick if he did. However, I think he has some smarts, and Gary does a good job of being honest with his players and letting them know when it's time to make the jump. With an almost certain lockout coming in the NBA at the end of the season, JW would be smart to test the waters to get the experience of showcasing his talents for NBA scouts, but would pull out knowing that he would almost certainly sit out all of 2011-12 waiting for the labor deal to get worked out. If a deal gets worked out before the draft pull-out date, JW is a goner.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 12, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I think since none of the guards has stepped up completely and the streaky nature of our wings (CT & SM) the 2nd leading scorer will be DG by default.

I think if this team ends up being really successful, then the most likely to usurp the #2 scoring position would be....AB. Senior guards offset a lot of deficiencies and we've seen him get hot in big wins in the past. I hope its a guard; I think it will be DG.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 12, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Russ good insight, I knew the NBA labor situation would be an issue but wasnt sure what year it would hit.

I think we get one more year of JW. CT needs to be the #2 scorer, he's the only dude capable. I like Pe' starting at PG over Stogs, but both are improvement over AB.

Too bad AB and SM never developed into the full players they could be. SM does a lot of small things well though

Posted by: jpfterps | January 12, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jpfterps | January 12, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I think something is going on with Mosely. He just doesn't seem to be playing as well as he did last year. I don't know if it's a conditioning issue (he's looked gassed a number of times when the pace gets frantic), if he's nursing an injury, or if opponents are adjusting their defense to specifically take him away. His jumper has definitely been off the past few weeks (not that he has a great one), and aside from the tremendous job he did against Smith in the Duke game, his defense has declined from last season.

He might be one of the few players that Gary was never able to improve (Garrison, Jones, and Hipp are the only ones I can think of that haven't steadily improved throughout their careers). Fans have been waiting for Mosely to step up, but the possibility is there that he's as good as he will ever be, and without a amazing PG feeding him the ball, he will never be the player that was expected when he committed to Maryland.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 12, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Maybe something going on with family life? He is a parent and all...

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Poopy/Dixon, I'm rarely if ever rude to others who haven't been rude to me first. TerpfanMA, Petecard, epdaly etc all have made their share of insults in my direction...which you conveniently overlook.

They've questioned my intelligence, claimed to "want more out of their program" than I do (which is the same as questioning fandome) etc. Terpfan's called me a racist repeatedly, and I've called him a moron plenty of times. But you aren't obsessed with those guys, just with me.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Also, for those who are complaining about Stoglin's shot selection, we went through the same growing pains in Vasquez's freshman year. The distinction is that Stoglin already has a better ability to get to the bucket than GV had. He also doesn't play nearly as out-of-control as GV, and while he doesn't run the offense as well, he doesn' make as many silly passes. Howard is a better defender, and might ultimately be a better PG, but utill he can put together solid stretches without turning the ball over and playing under control, he's going to continue to lose minutes to Stoglin.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 12, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Barno, that was the right move in extending the olive branch. I read this blog every day, it's fascinating to me with all these characters on here. But as a father with two younger daughters, I couldn't help think of a certain someone on here as the details of the Arizona shooting began to emerge. Disturbed individuals have a way of distinguishing themselves from the rest of society. They don't just stand out in person in school or at the grocery store, they stand out on the internet as well.

Looking at the ramblings of the gunmen it was hard not to think of our "DIXON" and his prior ramblings about glen beck, fox news, and of course all his obsessive cumpulsive postings about barno1.

Dixon, I'm serious when I say I hope you get some help before you go and hurt somebody too. Changing your name to DixonTheDog after barno1 said his dog dixon was killed is a red flag that something is not right with you. Normal people don't do things like that.

Posted by: jj94_Terp | January 12, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

We will do to Wake on the court what we did to them on the gridiron.

Posted by: SmittyATL | January 12, 2011 2:43 PM | Report abuse

We will do to Wake on the court what we did to them on the gridiron.

Posted by: SmittyATL | January 12, 2011 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I would be pretty impressed if the Terps could hold Wake to 14 points. They did hold Colgate to 17 first half points, so I guess anything's possible. Wake is a terrible team.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 12, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Barno....lets at least be honest here...I came to this board never having heard of you and made some statements that you disagreed with relating to Fridge...it was you who immediately jumped into namecalling and insults....

I am all for moving past it but lets at least be genuine with the facts

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

TerpfanMA, agree to disagree. The "he started it" thing is 4th grade. I took exception with your countless comments attacking Friedgen for his physical appearance, and you in turn started calling me a racist. What's done is done...this board is a happier place these days. We can all thank Kevin Anderson that, bringing the Terps Insider community together in our hatred of him.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Barno...the racist comment came up about 1 year after I started posting on this board and was in direct response to your silly comment about blacks being inherantly faster than hispanics or asians and I suspect you now know it was a silly statement and have not repeated it....and if the "he started it" is 4th grade...here is your post

: "
I'm rarely if ever rude to others who haven't been rude to me first. "

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Here we go again...

Blacks ARE, on average, faster than blacks and Asians. It's not a silly statement and it certainly isn't racist.

Ugh, guess some people just can't deal with not arguing.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

That should read:

blacks are, on average, faster than WHITES and Asians.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

and you actually have a college degree?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind the bickering but when jj94 weighs in like a psychiatrist it reminds me of what the left wingers are doing this week blaming Palin, Limbaugh, Fox News et al for the Arizona incident and failing to note their own hideous assaults. Bush beheaded and a film about his assassination come to mind. Even Obama talked about bringing a gun to the fight during his campaign. So I would say fellow TIers, let's just cut the finger pointing accusations and holier than thou proclamations.

Posted by: petecard | January 12, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Well said Petecard, well said.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 12, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@ petecard, jj94 seems to express a sentiment a lot of people have expressed, that changing your name on here to that of a person's dead dog bc you obsessed with them is sorta way, way out of bounds. Hard to take someone seriously when they do things like that. As for everything else you said, I totally agree. The media/left has shown their true colors this week. I'm no Sarah Palin fan, but blaming her for contributing to this massacre is beyond the pale. Then we find out today the shooter didn't even listen to talk radio or pay attention to the news.

@ TerpfanMA, yes even college grads make typos from time to time. We can't all be as perfect as you.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I almost wanted to make a joke about it (just to really, really rile you up and be a jerk) but thought better because I know when my dog goes I'll cry like a baby.

sorry for the loss of what i'm sure was a beloved pet.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 18, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Interesting to see what Poopy_McPoop once wrote before he changed his name to DixonTheDog...

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Hay Barno, where do those @'s come from. This isn't Twitter is it?

Posted by: petecard | January 12, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Meant "hey" not "hay." Typo. Take my degree away!

Posted by: petecard | January 12, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry...I just assumed educated people in todays society had moved beyond ascribing superior/inferior characteristics to people based upon race...guess I was wrong...

Do you happen to know how much faster blacks are than asians, whites or hispanics? Is is a lot or just a little?

I really am curious?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I just assumed educated people in todays society had moved beyond ascribing superior/inferior characteristics to people based upon race. Guess I was wrong...

I really am curious?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I've watched the Olympics (100m is almost all african american), I've grown up watching Darrell Green and Willie Gault streak down the field, and I've played sports requiring speed. As one of the faster white people I know -- I can honestly say from experience that most of the time when I get smoked, it's not by an Asian or another white, its by an African American. Not saying that is the case 100%, but let's be serious here -- I'd say if you gathered the 100 fastest human beings on Earth, the majority of them would be African American.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 12, 2011 4:43 PM | Report abuse

TerpfanMA, you must have been quite confused as to why you were the only person picketing outside theaters when White Men Can't Jump came out. We've been over this before...you've made it quite clear that don't understand the difference between ascribing superior mental characteristics--which obviously are a racist notion--and physical, which are COMMONLY accepted in society.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I think TerpfaMA is really Poopy. He sure acts like him now and then. I guess the Chinese don't tend to be shorter than Germans, eh TerpPoopFan? Am I a racist for seeing that?

Is anyone who sees that african americans tend to have different hair than say, whites, a racist? Are you a racist for even suggesting that African Americans have darker skin than others? Guess we're not supposed to notice that either.

Racism, as I understand it, is believing their are inherent intellectual differences. Thinking black people are dumb is racist. But seeing the clear and obvious advantage African Americans tend to have in running and jumping makes you a racist? I fail to see how that's racist at all. Most people can see that. If you can't TerpfanMA that's your problem. But don't go around ignorantly calling people racists just because of your own stupiditiy.

Posted by: terp4lifer | January 12, 2011 4:54 PM | Report abuse

TerpfanMA,

You certainly do sound like your typical elitist New Englander. Nice job with that.

Maybe you haven't noticed but, there usually isn't too many of us white guys representing the USA in the Sprint events in the Olympics. Maybe you also haven't noticed that Black people make up like 80% of the players in the NBA and NFL.

Get over yourself dude. Black people are fantastic athletes. That is a compliment not a racist comment.

"Lighten up, Francis"

Posted by: Section505203 | January 12, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Well, when you come on to an internet messageboard and give details about your personal life, don't be surprised if someone maybe mocks that a little bit.

And yeah, you're right jj94, I'm right on par with that nut-job over in Arizona.

As for race, here's my foray into race-relations.........

What I don't get is whenever you read/hear about the lack of AA's as quarterbacks, or owners, or front office personnel, or whatever how come you never hear those same people talking about the (even larger) lack of Hispanics, Asians, Pacific Islanders, Indians, Native Americans, etc. in those same positions? Is it because that AA's are the largest minority here in the US? Just struck me as kinda odd.

Of course you never really hear any minority complaining about the lack of minorities in hockey.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | January 12, 2011 5:08 PM | Report abuse

All that said, we should never forget about the Jamaican bobsled team.

Oh John Candy how I miss your brand of comedy.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | January 12, 2011 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Barny, Fush...try judging people as individuals next time instead of making sweeping racial generalizations...using infinitesimally small examples and extrapolation racial superiority/inferiority statements is ridiculous

fushezzi..I guess its good that your coach wasnt barny otherwise you wouldnt have been playing any sports requiring speed

Do you subscribe to the belief that because Duke is ranked #1 and they start 4 white guys that whites are better at bball?

How about the fact that 99% of the aces in golf have been scored by whites..are whites better golfers?

Trying to gain cover by saying your racial stereotypes are ok because they are physical rather than mental characteristics is really funny in a sad sort of way

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, re: your comments on race...for once (I think) we are in total agreement on something.

As for this: "Whenever my dog passes on I won't mention it on the interweb to tell a bunch of random, anonymous people. But that's just me, different strokes for different folks."

That's not at all how it went down. 'mydogsnameisdixon' started posting comments on here and of course, considering that my dog too was named dixon and had just been killed, I was going to say something. My guess is a lot of people, even you, would've said something along those lines had that happened to your dog when someone was posting under that name.

And for the record, this is all I said at that time:
---------------------------

mydogsnameisdixon,

My family's dog was also named dixon, til he was killed by a neighbor's dog a few weeks ago. Assuming yours was also named after the juan and only.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 18, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Little did I know at the time that you would later go on to mock the dogs death repeatedly.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 5:21 PM | Report abuse

The physical is okay but mental is not is a foreign concept to me. In 1987, Al Campanis was fired for making racial comments. Among them: Blacks don't excel in the sport of swimming because they are less buoyant. But the bottom line on this is that it is a no win proposition to get into that stuff on this board. Questioning preferential hiring practices may be a different matter, but parsing racism is not, in my humble opinion, what we ought to be doing here.

Posted by: petecard | January 12, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

You judge Friedgen by his physical appearance and even advocated terminating his contract because of it, calling him a fat slob dozens of times. Yet you feign outrage over people saying white men can't jump or run as fast as African Americans? Dude, grow up. I don't care what your opinions are, at least BELIEVE what you're writing and don't just pretend to be outraged just to start arguments.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Wait, hold the presses...new info just came to light!

seems terp4life has also brought to our attention that African Americans are also better jumpers....by limiting his description to only those blacks here in America, he appears to exclude blacks who live elswhere in the world....interesting

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Barno that's fine. Had I been in your shoes I would've said "I used to have a dog named Dixon" and left it at that. But again that's just me and different strokes for different folks.

Sure I've shared some fun stories of my days in Wicomico and have broadcasted the teams I root for and the general area in which I live but not really anything else.

I've just never got giving out actual personal information on the internet.

Of course, to play devils advocate, I'd still be using another name if someone hadn't gotten that name banned by the WaPo.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | January 12, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Barno, as for my race-related question, that's one that I've for so long have wanted Wilbon to answer.

TerpfanMA does make good points about golf, Duke basketball, etc. in terms of the fine line that comes with making sweeping generalizations.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | January 12, 2011 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah right Barny....I went to a game and saw a fat man on the sidelines who was fatter than the black OC next to him...then I went to work and rode in the elevator with a fat white man and a thin black woman....most of the fat people I see are white.....I guess white people are fatter than asians....thats ok because fat is a physical characteristic

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 5:38 PM | Report abuse

TerpfanMa, you sure that woman in the elevator wasn't simply phat?

Posted by: DixonTheDog | January 12, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Yes, she was that too but that is a convo for another day....

I am moving off this topic....arguing with ignorant people makes no sense...they will just drag you down to their level where they have all the advantages

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Golf? That seems pretty easy to explain and has nothing to do with physical advantages. It's pretty basic and if you again need someone to explain to you why there are so few black golfers then you're truly hopeless TerpfanMA. Maybe, just maybe, it's an socio-economic issue? Any sport that generally requires more money to play and get better at is going to see large socio-economic disparities--which in turn leads to racial disparities. Do you seriously not understand this, or are you--more likely--just pretending to not understand it TerpfanMA?

I think we all know the answer to that question. Anyone who constantly mocks the physical appearance of overweight people while at the same time taking exception with those who see physical differences between certain racial groups is most likely a disingenuous clown who just likes arguing for the sake of arguing.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, sounds like we are also in agreement on Wilbon. When it comes to racial issues, he is as clueless as they come.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Ok genius barny...try this on for size...I have no idea what you do for a living but go into the office on Monday after the superbowl and announce that since the last 4 champion QBs were white that whites are better throwers of the football than blacks or hispanics.....then as their jaws are on the floor you can add....hey dont worry thats not racist because its a compliment and its just a physical characteristic......then please, and this is the most important part....please, please please tell everyone you graduated from the University of Maryland!

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Barny...did you ever stop to think that maybe those same socio economic issues cut both ways???? that maybe disadvantaged african americans (you know, the same ones you say cant afford to get good at golf) see sports such as basketball and football as a way up in the world and spend a larger portion of their time playing and training and maybe thats why fushezzi got beat in his event? did either of you even consider that the guy who beat him was faster because he trained harder or longer than fushezzi? or did you just see him as a black man and jump to conclusions that blacks are faster?

time to put that good old Maryland education to some use and think about things from a different perspective instead of stereotypes and generalizations

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

This is the most retarded argument I have ever heard. TerpfanMA is a kook, people.

Posted by: this_guy | January 12, 2011 7:15 PM | Report abuse

TerpfanMA, I have no idea what you do for a living either, but I suggest you also go into the office on Monday after the super bowl and announce in front of everyone that you believe the reason there are so many wide receivers, cornerbacks, and track stars that are black is because Asians, Hispanics, and whites just don't "train as hard" as them. When they stop falling out of their chairs laughing at you, please for our sake, do NOT tell them all you went to the Univ of MD.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 7:27 PM | Report abuse

terps -14 now. Vegas thinks we're going to blow them out. I do too.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Barny..the next time you find a pro athlete who doesnt work or train extremely hard, please let us know....

There is no need to try to twist my words into one of your racially superior theories...In no way shape or form did I classify races as working or training harder....I merely said that working/training harder is a better explanation for athletic performance than some half brained theory about racial superiority....

You see pro athlete in the NFL and say hes faster because hes black....others see one and say that he is faster because he put in more hours running/training and developing himself to be better

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Barny...did you ever stop to think...that maybe disadvantaged african americans (you know, the same ones you say cant afford to get good at golf) see sports such as basketball and football as a way up in the world and spend a larger portion of their time playing and training...

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2011 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Barny...thats not the same thing as your claim and I dont have time right now to explain it to you....I am trying to watch the game....nobody really cares about your racial theories....you just make yourself look ignorant...

tomorrow you can come on here and complain to everyone that I keep calling you a racist

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Nice win! Wheres Parker? Does he dress for games anymore?

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 12, 2011 10:26 PM | Report abuse

HP got a ton of minutes again. Any thoughts on this? Seems that he is taking a ton of minutes at the 4 (with either JW, DG or JP at the 5) moreso than at 3 which is where I expected him to thrive. Is it Landon-Milbournitis happening? Why wouldn't JP be taking those minutes at 4?

DG (and JP) really are developing into low post threats in their own respective rights. Was good to see JP on track again. And DG had yet another all-around good game.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 12, 2011 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Bzdelik is an outstanding coach. Give him time and he'll turn the Deacons into winners again.

p.s. In addition to coaching at the collegiate level, Jeff was an assistant with the Bullets/Wizards and Heat and head coach of the Nuggests.

Posted by: StevefromSacto | January 13, 2011 7:40 PM | Report abuse