Posted at 3:00 PM ET, 01/ 3/2011

What are your initial reactions to Randy Edsall?

By Matt Bonesteel

The press conference introducing Randy Edsall as Maryland's new head football coach just ended (we're hoping that the fine people at Comcast SportsNet will let us post the full video later on today). If you caught it, what were your initial reactions?

Here's some snippets, which are cataloged on the Terrapins Insider Twitter feed.

Edsall: "Were the University of Maryland. We're not playing two-for-ones." This was in reference to a possible series with Penn State, according to Patrick Stevens of D1scourse.

Maryland AD Kevin Anderson: "Coach Leach came in here and did a great job....But I believe I had other opportunities out there to pursue."

Edsall: "We didn't have a fan base at the University of Connecticut. But we created a 40,000-person fan base."

Anderson: "We got a damn good head football coach."

Edsall, on his departure from Connecticut: "I would have liked to see those young men in person, to tell 'em. Wasn't able to do that. Tried to do the next best thing."

Edsall: "There will be some people retained here, from this staff." He also said that some U-Conn. coaches will join him.

Edsall: "We are Maryland football. And I can say that we will work as hard as we can."

Edsall: "I'm extremely proud to follow Ralph Friedgen....We developed a very good friendship."

Edsall: "My first college game that I ever saw was right at Byrd Stadium."

Edsall: "This is a very special day for me and my family.....This is a dream job for me."

Anderson: "This was my decision."

By Matt Bonesteel  | January 3, 2011; 3:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LIVE VIDEO: Maryland introduces Randy Edsall
Next: VIDEO: John Feinstein talks about Randy Edsall

Comments

Edsall seemed fine. Nothing too surprising out of his mouth. A little Jim Zorn-like with his corny comments. But otherwise didn't take much from his comments. It's Anderson I think most of us are concerned with. He is totally unprofessional, in way over his head, and is not qualified for this job. He has p*ssed off the vast majority of the MD fan base. He went back on his word on Friedgen. He led the fans to believe we'd get Leach. Then he comes out of nowhere with .500 coach from the big east with a long history of 2-star recruits, terrible offenses, and a 1-16 record against ranked teams. But at least he in 2007 (he thinks) Randy Edsall had the highest graduation rate...amongst African Americans...from state schools...that played in a bowl game.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 put it well. Anderson's treatment of Friedgen was poor and then creating a hype around taking us from "good" to "great." Ick! Making Debbie Yow look good again is tough yet Kevin Anderson is trying his damnest.

Posted by: h20andoil | January 3, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Coach Edsall acknowledged the presence of Coach Gary Williams and indicated he's looking forward to working with Coach Williams at the UofMD! If these two gentleman can establish a good working relationship (which I don't believe existed between Coach Williams and Coach Friedgen) it could go a long way toward harmony in the athletic department! Coach Edsall also made a reference to his brother, Duke, calling a few technical fouls on Gary :-)

Posted by: TerpGrad | January 3, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Edsall would've been a great hire--one year ago.

Seems polished...should be a good spokesman for the program, but it's all about on-field results. We'll see.

Can't help but think about the buzz Leach would've created in the area and beyond...

Posted by: MerlinTerps | January 3, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

My initial thoughts are that he's a pretty straight, stoic, football coach. He answered questions that he felt he could answer with your standard answers. I did appreciate his intensity when asked about his bar for success, and that his success should be measured in championships. I think too much was made of his success as a builder/rebuilder (Jax, BC, Syracuse, and UConn), because I don't think Maryland's program needs to be rebuilt. No one really asked what qualities Edsall possessed that would build upon what Fridge has already done, and I didn't get any wamr and fuzzies that this guy was going to take the Terps to Anderson's magical "next level."

Posted by: Russtinator | January 3, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

What is crazy is that people say that UMD led us to believe they were getting Leach. The truth is that people on the internet/TV led us to believe the Terps were going to hire Leach.

Terp fans need to separate their feelings about the process from the potential of the hire. Anyone that doesn't think Edsall will be able to do more at UMD than he did at UConn, is a fool.

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

There is something about Anderson that makes it seem like he is lying...perhaps it was that the first words out of his mouth were that he made the decision all by himself....he also fumbled around for some stats when trying to articulate why he seleced Edsall...like he wasnt sure but knew it was written down somewhere....both of them seemed uncomfortable..like they were forced to be there and were putting on a happy face...KA because he really wanted another candidate and RE because he knew he wasnt the first choice

How are we supposed to really believe that this is REs "dream job"??? I mean c'mon..why even say that nonsense..hes not from UMD, didnt go to school here...hes 52 years old..has he even ever applied for a job here? Whats he gonna say when he leaves? Dreams over?

The whole thing seemed forced and disingenuous

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I think it was obvious throughout, but particularly in their handshake at the end when Anderson literally almost did not even look at his new coach or even smile, much less offer the big grin and robust handshake that is normal human behavior when you bring in "your guy", that Edsall was forced on Anderson. I am not saying I like Anderson much, or that he is a smooth operator because I don't and he isn't. I'm simply saying it is completely obvious to me that Anderson's plan, hatched with Plank, was to go the Leach wild-ride route and that was blocked by Kirwan.

Fine Barno, I don't mind that you called my out on my previous presentation of this general viewpoint. I agree with you that ESPN did not have any direct role in it, but Kirwan responded to a combination of factors that in my opinion must obviously include not wanting to rock any boats with the ACC or the tv network with the current ACC contract. Why do I think it must include that? Because I simply do not believe that he would have overruled the Anderson/Plank alliance for vague behavioral concerns about Leach.

Personally I was not completely wedded to going the Leach route. It seemed like the most interesting approach and had the mysterious feel of not really knowing what we were in for either from Leach or from Plank. Did it mean a new paradigm for funding assistant coaches, for example? I have no idea. But it was a edgy new scenario.

That said, I was going to definitely miss it if he had little ground game and weak defense. I had hopes he would have at least had a strong DC. But who cares what my opinion is. The point is that Kirwan just snubbed the wacky but probably money- and energy-filled ride of "the Leach Experience" that our big booster, major fan and former player Kevin Plank had in mind. It doesn't mean we can't win with Edsall. And I certainly hope we do. He seems like a fine guy. But “I for one!” (as Johnny Carson used to say when he played that rube character back in the day) am going to at least call it like I see it in terms of what just went down.

I'll be interested to see other views and welcome the harshest possibly critiques of this viewpoint. I don't usually go in for blog "conflict" but I'm not going to feel satisfied until we hash over at least somewhat what went down before just moving on.

Posted by: jake177 | January 3, 2011 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Can Edsall make Maryland football exciting enough to get the casual fan to show up at Byrd?...to get people to fill the suites at Byrd? He may be a great coach, but if he can't bring in blue chip talent or generate excitement on the field, he will have a hard time improving the program. There is no reason to believe that Edsall can do more at Maryland than he did at UCONN any more than Rich Rodriguez could at Michigan than he did at West Virginia. Heck, even Mark Duffner was 60–5–1 at holy Cross before coming to Maryland...how well did that work out?

Posted by: TERP801 | January 3, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Was it me or was KA bent/leaning forward the whole time? Hasn't he ever held a presser before? Posture is important. I thought KA looked sloppy.

Edsall on the other hand was pretty good on the mic.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 3, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

ESPN's Pat Forde on twitter

Randy Edsall says Maryland is his "dream job." True, I guess, if your dream is to flee UConn. Dude's been trying for years.

Posted by: Chief2 | January 3, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Wrong. Anderson fueled the speculation from the very beginning. He tells reporters that Leach is a top candidate 2 weeks ago. He schedules Leach to interview on campus during Fridge's bowl game--the ultimate slap in the face to Fridge. Then he leaks it to the press that Leach is on campus.

I mean come on, are you really trying to claim Anderson didn't play a role in lead the fans to believe we were getting Leach?

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the way this whole process was handled by KA but, now that it's over I'm on board with Randy Edsall. I think he's a good football coach and I think his teams will be tough and will play physical. Afterall, that's what football is all about.

I would have rather had the OC from OK State or Bud Foster or heck even Mike Leach. Yes, but it didn't happen.

As fans/alums and I think we need to move on and get on board. IMO.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 3, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

TerpfanMA really nailed it. The "dream job" comment was really over the top for me. A college coaching job is only a "dream job" if it's the school you played for or went to, or one of the historic powers. Was Notre Dame not his "dream job" when he was rumored for that position last year?

I'm fine with guys standing up and putting on happy faces for the media and fans after something like this happens, but to straight-up lie like what has occurred over and over again since Kevin Anderson took this job. If you're not going to say something close to the truth, just don't answer the question. The selected and inflated stats bother me too, but not as much as lying. Anderson already has 2 strikes against him, and Edsall's not starting off on a good foot with this "dream job" comment. Heck, as an alum, Maryland wouldn't be my "dream job."

It is good to know that the players won't be wearing doo-rags or hats inside anymore, that's a critical measure of on-field success.

I don't know why it's important that the football and basketball coaches get along. Are they going to start sharing players (Calvin McCall)? With Will Yeatman graduating, Jordon Williams could be useful catching passes across the middle as a tight end. Coaches do their own thing, and I don't want my football coach and basketball coach chatting up each other when there are kids to recruit and players to coach. The coaches of different sports should be able to work together (I don't think Fridge and Gary ever had a problem with that), but being friends in not a prerequisite.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 3, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Anderson doesn't pull the strings, so he's a non-issue from here on out. Whether it was Kirwin or others, someone castrated the guy in the national spotlight. Obviously, the administration won't let Big Kevin make decisions on his own, so no one has to worry he'll do too much damage. Go to timeout, Kevin. We'll call you back when the adults have made a decision.

I feel bad for Edsall. He's coming into, as Anderson even acknowledged in response to a question, a situation with a fractured fan base. Edsall no doubt feels he's the best coach out there, as he should. He came across as confident and tough. He said he wasn't afraid of saying success is measured in championships. But imagine having to come to your job knowing that everyone is pissed off and you're not the first choice. Hopefully he uses that as fuel.

Interestingly, no one has commented on how Edsall handled his departure from UConn...under the cover of darkness, without saying good-bye...kind of like the Baltimore Colts leaving. Lots of people rightfully based Anderson for not telling Ralph about his firing, which Ralph found out about on TV. So too did the UConn players.

And the search committee was worried about Leach being a flight risk? Here's Edsall who just fled the program he built, under the cover of darkness, the night of his former program's biggest game. But trust Edsall, MD is his dream job. Never mind that he just bailed on his team, who found out on the TV when they returned from Phoenix and were patched in via conference call with Randy to say good-bye.

Where's Cliche Wise's column about Edsall's classlessness?

Posted by: WheelsRI | January 3, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Former Terp and current Redskin Kevin Barnes via Comcast SportsNet on the Edsall hiring: "I really wish Comcast was HBO right now so I could really let you know how I feel. If you want to do that (hire Edsall) you should have just kept Friedgen. That is just..man, I can't even say it here, you know how I feel."

Amen Barnes. Amen.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

No he said Leach is on a list of candidates when he was asked at the firing presser. Just because ESPN says someone's name over and over again, it does not mean much of anything.

Just look at Florida and Miami's recent hires, ESPN was not even close.

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Funny stats Anderson I'm sure didn't want to bring up

1-16 vs. top 25 teams
4-14 vs. ACC teams (only beating Duke twice, Wake and UVA)
0-2 in Bowls
Graduation rate 90.6%

Leach in a way harder conference

84-40
9 Bowl games in 9 years
Wins vs. Texas, Oklahoma exc.
79% graduation rate (8th best at the time)

Joke hire no-one who understands football should support this.

Posted by: Terps911 | January 3, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

What is wrong with Edsall saying MD is his dream job? What do you want him to say? MD will be a great place to stop and build a resume? Don't you want someone that wants to be here?

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@Russ -

I don't recall too many public events where Ralph and Gary attended together b/c each one thought he deserved better than the other. It will help the fan base if the two revenue making coaches can put their egos aside and work together for the University. By recognizing Gary at the presser, I felt that Coach Edsall set the tone for working with Gary, not against him. As a fan, TC member and season ticket holder for both sports, that's important to me. The infighting in the athletic department needs to stop!

Posted by: TerpGrad | January 3, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

You Terps can have Edsall.
He certainly did a good job launching a program - but UCONN sunk a ton of money on infrastructure and salaries, including his.
And while we did OK in Bowls like PapaJohn's and Motor City we got our butts kicked in the BCS.
Maybe he was too busy negotiating his contract to spend enough time to properly prepare for the Fiesta Bowl.
And then to not even fly back with the team - these kids that he "loves" so much.
Hey - I'd love them too if they busted their tails to land me a multi-million $ contract.
You Terp fans should get ready for the most boring offense imaginable - and probably a worse record than you had with the "Fridge".
By the way - does anyone have Fridge's number? We would love to have him take the job in Storrs CT.

Posted by: Husky76 | January 3, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Anderson can't form a complete, coherent sentence when he speaks.

Posted by: nodata2000 | January 3, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Where's Mike Myers when we need him: re: Coach Edsall: "I shall call him "mini-Fridge"...lmao

Posted by: terptek | January 3, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

On Edsall:

His critics in Connecticut often complained about Edsall's dull offenses, and his inability to develop quarterbacks before and after Dan Orlovsky finished his career in 2004. This year's offense, despite Todman being the nation's second-leading rusher, was ranked 96th in the country, 16 spots below Maryland. With the exception of 2004, when the Huskies were ranked 19th in offense, Connecticut was ranked in the bottom half of the country — three times 90th or below among 120 FBS teams since 2005.

YIIPPPEEEEEEE!!!!!

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Just look at Florida and Miami's recent hires, ESPN was not even close.

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Anderson also had Leach visit on the day of the Military Bowl, and deliberately leaked that information so that fans would know that "his guy" was interviewing. Sure the media kept a sharp focus on Leach, but they also were working hard on the Malzohn angle. The press and fans were expecting Anderson to deliver a "name," which is not what occurred. The Florida and Miami situations did not involve an athletic director mentioning a specific person or a level of expectation, plus those searches were over in less than 1 week.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 3, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Looking at his record during the first few seasons as a D1 school is pretty pointless.

Yeah, hiring a head coach that built a FCS school into a BCS bowl berth instead of a lawyer pirate that got fired and is suing the network that has a contract with the ACC is such a joke.

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

You Terps can have Edsall.

Posted by: Husky76
---------------------
Yes, your fan base made you win...
------------
Got u back 4 shady C's "buying" of Rudy - zing!

Posted by: terptek | January 3, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

yeah, hes more like a cooler

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

yeah, hes more like a cooler

Posted by: TerpfanMA
------------------------
Yes, and you're more of a hater...I mean "heater" :)

Posted by: terptek | January 3, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line is that Edsall will be a fine coach for Maryland for as long as he stays here. I don't see him as an upgrade over the Fridge but must admit that I'm biased by my love for him. I don't think Edsall is any more likely to fill the stadium than Fridge would have been. For me this is just an AD wanting to bring his own guy in being obscured by all the Mike Leach smoke where I don't think there was ever fire. There were also ridiculous Rich Rodriguez to Maryland rumors floating around out there. Edsall's offense is a good fit for Danny O'Brien so he will stick and be a stud which means Maryland will be good until he leaves. For as long as I can remember Maryland has been as good as their QB and I don't see that changing now.

Posted by: jeffterpsfan | January 3, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

he was actually 1-15 vs. top 25 teams

I think Fridge actually has beaten as many teams as Edsall has played...

The problem I have with the dream job shtick is that other then some camps and a football game he has ZERO ties to this area and now this is what he's wanted more than anything! lol I don't buy it for a second.

Husky is right those fans stuck it out and he bailed on them, and eventually they'd have done the same thing our bandwagon fans do now not go to games unless they're 10-3 and looking at a BCS game. Sorry nobody except hardcore fans want to see the 96th best offense. They lost me as a hardcore fan today.

Posted by: Terps911 | January 3, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I am not informed enough to know that Anderson deliberately leaked info that Leach was being interviewed. I guess some people here are.

Or maybe they didn't fly him in to a private airport under the cover of night and then drive him to a secure location in a car with limo tint windows, to be ushered in the back door for a secret interview.

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

They lost me as a hardcore fan today.

Posted by: Terps911 | January 3, 2011 4:07 PM
---------------------------
If you're "hardcore," ur hardcore 4ever - u'll be going to games next season :)

Posted by: terptek | January 3, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't want a guy to lie. Maybe it is his dream job, but if it is, then he's a hypocrite by stating that he wants to be measured in championships. Any Maryland fan will readily admit that this program is not what anyone would call a top tier program. It's a solid job, and one that a lot of guys would want to have, but for Edsall to say it's a dream job is just hyperbole. He could have just said it's one of many top jobs I would want. NFL HC jobs are "dream jobs," and BIG program jobs are "dream jobs (Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Florida, Alabama, etc...). I want a guy to tell it straight, and not slather 2 pounds of makeup on a pig to sell it to me.

The rest of his comments. It is possible that by "dream job" he could have meant that he is being put into a dream situation with an imense base of talent from which to draw. It's a dream for him that he doesn't actually have to rebuild anything here, but I didn't really read that from the way he stated Maryland was his "dream job."

Posted by: Russtinator | January 3, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Terptek, I probably will since I'm a student and can go for free :) and I'll probably still follow them, but its just another in a long line of kicks below the waist for a Maryland team. I was just hoping we'd finally get a team that would cut it out.

Nobody can rationally and coherently support 1-15 vs. Top 25 teams and 4-14 vs. ACC opponents as a quality hire.

Posted by: Terps911 | January 3, 2011 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Yo, Mr. Anderson -- We HAD a "damn fine football coach." Imagine firing an ACC coach of the year, a bowl winner. I know -- you must be related to Dan Snyder!!

Posted by: Nancilee | January 3, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

84-40
9 Bowl games in 9 years
Wins vs. Texas, Oklahoma exc.
79% graduation rate (8th best at the time)

Posted by: Terps911 | January 3, 2011 3:51 PM

And two pending law suits

Posted by: Kev29 | January 3, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

And two pending law suits

Posted by: Kev29 | January 3, 2011 4:17 PM

---------------------

There was allot more going on @ TT then just him (pretty easy to find if you follow CF close enough). The AD was gunning for him hard and I don't blame him if he feels slighted.

Posted by: Terps911 | January 3, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Garrett4, if you aren't pretty sure Leach is going to be your next coach, you don't tell the press he is atop the list. You don't schedule his interview during your team's farewell bowl game of its previous coach. I think it's pretty obvious Anderson thought Leach was going to be his man, but like so many other things Anderson didn't understand the way it works at U-MD. He probably figured he had autonomy, or at least the upper hand.

What I find most disturbing about this entire last few weeks, is that Kevin Anderson factored into his decision to fire Friedgen the fact that Fridge's lawyer made one comment to one news outlet 2 months ago about "deserving an extension." Anderson actually admitted to the Bmore Sun's Jeff Barker that he "had to factor that in". He actually admitted that his ego played a role in his decision to fire Fridge. That tells us that this man is capable of anything. ANYTHING. Including...firing Gary Williams.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Terps911: if you are a student, you are too young to know just how bad the Terps were before Fridge and Gary. You do not know kicks below the waist.

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Leach was set up by the Texas Tech administration with the help of Craig James and ESPN because he wouldn't "respect" their authority. I suspect the UMD president called his counterpart at Tech and was told Leach is "uncontrollable." I was going to be a new season ticket holder at UMD to see Leach's exciting brand of football. How many others like me has the program lost?

Posted by: Techsan68 | January 3, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Terps911 | January 3, 2011 4:20 PM

I tend to agree that Leach got railroaded at Texas Tech - and that he should be a suitable candidate for another position (including Maryland's). But as Wise wrote earlier today - those lawsuits are still out there and they are aimed at two institutions that Maryland has some relationship with. TT as a fellow NCAA/BCS member and ESPN, a more significant partner.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 3, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Sure, it's not confirmed that the AD leaked the Leach presence on campus. However, he's the guy who said in Fridge's buyout presser that Leach was a candidate. He did not have to mention his name when asked that question. He looked directly into the camera when he said "Yes, Mike Leach is a candidats we will be looking at" with a subtle smile. If that's not giving a tell about your hand, then never go with me to Vegas to play poker. Real AD's don't typically even respond to questions like that in press conferences, and even if they do, they'll only say yes or no to the name, not repeat it back to the person asking the question.

All of the evidence points to Leach being the Anderson's first choice and something happening behind the scenes to squash it. Edsall was plan B or C, which is why the hire didn't take place until after the Fiesta Bowl.

I'm sorry that the evidence is not more clear or that you have such difficulty reading between the lines of press releases and statements and body language during press conferences. I think KA is professional enough to know not to state in a press conference that Rnady Edsall was not his first choice, so unfortunately we'll never know the real story. The Terps got a solid coach, but I don't think this is what anyone, including Kevin Anderson, really wanted.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 3, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you are looking way too far into irrelevant things like date/time of interview. Anderson never said top of the list. That doesn't even sound like something he would say. (I am not for or against Anderson yet). Even if he was, who cares? It is not like he promised to hire Leach and then said no. The only thing he went back on was bringing Fridge back, which is a totally different story.

Anderson seems rigid and robotic. Leach is an arrogant weirdo. There is nothing about him that makes me think he would be a good fit with Leach. Can anyone tell me why they think the two of them would work well together?

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me? How is Edsall an improvement over the Fridge. Unless MD plans to move to the Big East, this is a lateral to backwards move. I actually was thinking of going to MD games to see the Air Attack Leach would have brought with him. I can't see similar excitement with Edsall. I think AD Anderson is way over his head and drowning. If MD decides to can him in 2-3 years, they should look towards Luck at West VA. He seems to be doing a good job there as AD.

Posted by: Verdeball | January 3, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Russ, the truth is only the university knows who they wanted and how much they wanted them. And yes, I do know how to read body language as I am paid to do so.

Anderson does not seem comfortable in front of the mic and he does not seem prepared, so I don't read too much into anything that he has said.

Unrelated note, did you end up winning your bid on the WWP jersey?

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure he didn't say "top of the list," but he did mention Mike Leach by name and that he was a serious candidate for the position.

However, I'm not sure how you know that's not something Kevin Anderson would say, because he's already proven himself, with less than 4 months on the job, that he is not the most eloquent public speaker and has found himself tripping over his words more than once. It was his own press conference after the Franklin was hired at Vandy/Bowl selection that leaked the Fridge buyout, not any sort of investigative reporting. He came out and gave the press everything they needed to fuel the rumor machine that Fridge's goose was cooked, and 3 days later he had to come out and publicly appologize for being an a$$ on camera and that Fridge was gone. He had done the same thing with Leach, but in this case, it seems something else happened outside of his office to derail the deceision. There are a lot of moving parts here, but I don't think the story is too difficult to piece together.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 3, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I've had season tickets since 1974 and I'm not impressed by what I've read. he looks like a RonVanderlinden clone to me. Vanderlinden the pretty boy got the job befoere Ralph. Ralph picked up the program after two pretty boys put it in the toilet and now another mediorcre pretty boy gets his job.

Posted by: dans64 | January 3, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

To top it off, it appears Anderson didn't even have the courtesy to tell Leach he didn't get the job.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 3, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

The only name he was directly asked about was Leach.

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Dream job was pretty funny...

RE will do fine here, stop crying... If he can build a champiship team in Conn then he should be able to do it in MD. I drank the Leach Kool-Aid like most of you did, I was pissed at how KA did RF like all of you. However, I can see how RE was a solid hire. He wins (makes a profit)and that should be 'nuff said! And he does it without any Flashy offense or flashy players. Flashy coaches dont win. Just ask Coach Ryan what it got him. Do you want a reality show or do you want a championship! Personally I don't care about my coach yucking it up with local media. Just freaking WIN...RE knows his place (he was #3 at UConn and will be #2 at UMD). He wont get caught up in any drama like Leach probably would of. Hopefully RE will just sit behind the scenes and put up 8,9 & 10 win seasons REGULARLY. You local fans have been fed sexy hires & signees for years now with the Deadskinz and look what I gets you. Maybe if your Skins, Wiz, Caps, Ravens and O's would win a championship once & a while you guys wouldn't be so disgruntle!

RE knows football and I really think everyone needs to get on his side. Support RE & the Terps or shut it up!

Posted by: dasilva_ryan | January 3, 2011 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope Edsall is not an Edsel. U of Md.admin again shows lack of spine when it comes to hiring good vs. great.

Edsall is not a great leap above Fridgen.

Andersen is off to a poor start with the classless treatment of Fridge, then fumbling the ball on getting Leach.

Posted by: NCTERP2 | January 3, 2011 4:59 PM | Report abuse

The only name he was directly asked about was Leach.

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 4:49 PM | Report abuse

But instead of just saying "yes" or "I'm not going to comment on potential candidates," he came out and said "Mike Leach would be a candidate." He wanted Leach, or he wouldn't have answered the question and definitely wouldn't have confirmed it through the repeating of his name by looking directly at the camera and giving a subtle smile. Winking would have been more subtle than the signals he was sending about his desire to hire Leach when the search began. Did you even watch the Fridge buyout press conference?

Posted by: Russtinator | January 3, 2011 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Yes I did. Just like all of us on this site that should be working instead of Terping it up!

We should get the body language expert from The O'Reilly Factor to settle this.

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"Dream Job" is a relative term, not an absolute. Edsall's old job was f*d in many ways - bad location, bad stadium, hard to recruit, plus building from scratch...which always leaves folks a bit embittered on both sides (no one gets facilities improved without p*ssing SOMEONE off - looky at the Fridge). I actually think Edsall's thinking he won the jackpot - experienced QB, depth and quality players across the board, a chance to actually reap the benefits of the infrastructure already in place, and a conference only marginally better than the sorry one he just left. The guy has NEVER had players, and now he inherits a tone of very good ones. That MUST be a dream come true for him.

But we all have HIGH expectations from him. He needs to win some big games early next season before this turns into Krivak part II.

I have to say, Anderson was terrible today, and even though I was looking for him to stumble and come off as the lying, snaky VILLIAN that he is, he came off looking like a lying, snaky, AND ineloquent villian more than I ever expected. The dude is a bad guy. I wish that dude on that show Lie To Me (y'know, the undercover cop from Reservoir Dogs) would do a run down on his mannerisms.

But please, stop comparing him to Dan Snyder. The appropriate comparison is to that lizard of a man (technically a Gila Monster) who owns the Baltimore Orioles - Peter Angelos - circa the firing of Davey Johnson. Firing Marty S. and Norv is in no way, shape or form equivalent to what was done to RF.

Overflowing with bile and vinegar today.

But not towards Edsall....yet.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 3, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

2 things:

1) Garrett..do you really think RE was KAs first choice or are you just sparring with Barno?

2) Russ has it right..the additional fact that KA didnt extend the courtesy of telling Leach he didnt get the job is classless

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 5:16 PM | Report abuse

According to John Feinstein, the night before he left his football team in the dark of night for Maryland, Edsall made his junior running back Justin Toddman stand up before the team and announce he is leaving for the pros. He said, if you're gonna leave you have to be a man and let your team know face to face.

Very interesting double standard.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 5:18 PM | Report abuse

TERRIBLE!!!

Posted by: kfischer1 | January 3, 2011 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dasilva_ryan | January 3, 2011 4:58 PM
-------------------------------

Incoherent and irrelevant. Have you even looked at his record? He's had 1 count'm 1 9 win season in 12 years (in case you missed it nobody went to games this year with a 9 win team). He's only winning 8 games because he's playing in the BigEast even a bad ACC is still better then that conference.

Proccess information coherently, nothing about this coach says he'll start tearing up the ACC. There is a difference between sexy hires and qualified hires.

Posted by: Terps911 | January 3, 2011 5:24 PM | Report abuse

turn the clock back a decade and most of us older alums were ecstatic that RF was hired from GT to be the HC at MD. That was the right hire at the right time and no one was sorry to see Vanderlinden gone. The players themselves were giddy when talking about it ("we got that dude from GT!!!").

Just not feeling anywhere near the excitement with this hire - even if we ignore the deserved ill feelings towards the treatment of RF.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | January 3, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

A Maryland Football Theme:

In 1945, 32-year old Paul "Bear" Bryant met Washington Redskins owner George Marshall at a cocktail party hosted by the Chicago Tribune, and said he had turned down offers for assistant coaching positions at Alabama and Georgia Tech. Bryant told Marshall that he was intent on becoming a head coach. Marshall put him in contact with Harry Clifton "Curley" Byrd, the president and former football coach of the University of Maryland.

After meeting with Byrd the next day, Bryant received the job as head coach of the Maryland Terrapins. In his only season at Maryland, Bryant led the team to a 6–2–1 record. However, Bryant and Byrd came into conflict. In the most prominent incident, while Bryant was on vacation, Byrd reinstated a player who had been suspended by Bryant for a violation of team rules. After the 1945 season, Bryant left Maryland to take over as head coach at the University of Kentucky.

Bryant coached at the University of Kentucky for eight seasons. Under Bryant, Kentucky made its first bowl appearance (1947) and won its first Southeastern Conference title (1950). The 1950 Kentucky team concluded its season with a victory over Bud Wilkinson's #1 ranked Oklahoma Sooners in the Sugar Bowl. The living players from the 1950 team were honored during halftime of a game during the 2005 season. Bryant also led Kentucky to appearances in the Great Lakes Bowl, Orange Bowl, and Cotton Bowl Classic. Kentucky's final AP poll rankings under Bryant included #11 in 1949, #7 in 1950, #15 in 1951, #20 in 1952 and #16 in 1953. The 1950 season was Kentucky's highest rank until it finished #6 in the final 1977 AP poll.

Posted by: tlally99 | January 3, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who his first choice was. But I do know that I cannot definitively say that Leach was Anderson's first choice. He might have been the internet's choice but we don't know what KA is thinking because he is all over the place.

RE probably didn't tell his team because his contract was not signed.

Posted by: garrett4 | January 3, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 5:18PM "Very interesting double standard"

Get used to it. He often spoke with forked tongue in Storrs.

Posted by: sord1d | January 3, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I guess I am fine with Edsall - I certainly would have been last year if Ralph had been run out then. But it's certainly an uninspiring hire, which is exactly the opposite of what Anderson promised when he let Ralphie go. I don't even have the energy to fight with Barno right now. Thanks for that, KA.

Posted by: caphillterp | January 3, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Another sad fact. Maryland is the 8th worst BCS conference team in generating profits. Even 7 non-BCS schools raked in more than Maryland football.

We needed Leach even if he raised h3ll, or flamed out and went nuts.

Posted by: Terps911 | January 3, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

That certainly was a boring press conference and we learned very little. No surprise. Edsall seems like a nice man and I did like his repartee with the reporter from Connecticut. But he did nothing to make most of us think that he was the best choice.

Anderson is a very poor speaker (rather like Randy Shannon) and that is surprising for a guy that was AD at the US Military Academy. It's seemed pretty clear to me that this was not his decision but he was being a good soldier and shouldering all responsibility.

The best question came from Jeff Barker who asked the coach when he first new the job was his. The answer: when Edsall was signing his contract at 5:30PM on Sunday. Of course that means that the detailed terms were discussed at length before that. My guess is that he new he was the guy much earlier in the day.

The thing about the "dream job" that adds to my skepticism was that he first said "a" dream job and then caught himself and said "the" dream job.

Well, now we are just going to have to wait and see how this works out. But the first early warning sign will be ticket sales... or lack thereof.

Posted by: petecard | January 3, 2011 5:44 PM | Report abuse

"think too much was made of his success as a builder/rebuilder (Jax, BC, Syracuse, and UConn), because I don't think Maryland's program needs to be rebuilt."
-->Exactly the point, would've been a better hire last year when the team seemed to need "rebuilding." What Edsall needs to do is take this program to the so-called "next level" which isn't even possible unless MD makes more of a committment to football

Posted by: break20 | January 3, 2011 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm embarrassed for the Terps. One would think that Maryland, being an intuition of higher learning, could have prepared Anderson better for the press conference. It's amazing that this guy, who stumbled and bumbled his way through the presser, actually participated in the firing of the Fridge!

Posted by: Spanglerg | January 3, 2011 5:52 PM | Report abuse

KA is from the Jack Johnson School of Eloquence... seriously the guy needs a speech coach or at least someone to type out his statements... as a Terp Alum, I think we need to get him some help, especially if he is going to be the face of our school...

Posted by: terp51 | January 3, 2011 5:55 PM | Report abuse

It was clear to me that the two were not entirely comfortable up there and I think it was clear that KA was retro-justifying the reasons for RE...when he was asked about it, he sort of fumbled around, looked for his notes, mumbled something about "body of work" and that he had the highest grad rates of african americans who went to a BCS bowl and attended a state school on the east coast and above the mason dixon line

I thought Fridge had plateued at UMD but I see nothing in this guy that suggests he can exceed Ralph in any way shape or form

If you were a fan of fridge, you can justifiably feel completely jerked around by KA and even if you felt fridge needed to move on, you still feel jerked around by KA....whatever KAs motives are, he doesnt feel like a straight shooter and Gary should probably watch his back

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: break20 | January 3, 2011 5:48 PM |

------------

Exactly we keep getting fed he's a builder, but you have to look at where he did it and what his job was... Thats why I laughed when KA tried to give him credit for the Jacksonville early success. Pretty sure they had Fred Taylor, Mark Brunell (in his prime) and some other key parts, and I seriously doubt a DB coach had a ton of input in day to day operations.

I'd have loved to have seen KA and Edsall sit up there and answer questions about 1-15 vs. top25 and 4-14 vs. the ACC guess you can only hide those facts in a controlled environment.

Posted by: Terps911 | January 3, 2011 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Finally some1 called me out. Even though you were wrong!

@Terp911 RE went 9-3 in 03' & went 9-4 in 07' that equals TWO 9 win seasons... I did check my stats, you ever hear of ESPN.com? I never said he would "tear it up". But I do think he can win championships (ACC not NCAA). why do I think this you ask, b/c he DID IT TWICE this year and again in 07'!!!

Nobody went to MD games last year b/c RF had 4 "count'm'" FOUR losing seasons in the last 7 years! Who wants to see bad football? Oh wait your prob a Skinz fan so maybe you actually enjoy bad football. People didnt go see the Terps play this year b/c we stunk it up the past few years and local sports media only have time for 1 bad football team to talk about. For the record I went to only 3 games this year @WVU, FSU & NCST.

If RE puts up 8-10 wins each & we compete for the ACC each year people will go to the games. I do expect and think we can win the ACC or at least compete for the championship with this guy.

Posted by: dasilva_ryan | January 3, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

So Tony Logan has announced he is returning in 2011. Honestly--and I don't mean any disrespect to Tony--but I didn't even realize he had the credentials to leave yet. He had a handful of great returns and then the opposition simply stopped punting to him. Anyhow, glad he'll be back in 2011.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Finally some1 called me out. Even though you were wrong!

Posted by: dasilva_ryan | January 3, 2011 6:08 PM |

---------

lol congratulations on having one extra winning season ahaha (guess I missed it with all those average seasons and losses to top ranked teams in an easy conference) I look forward to you explaining 1-15 vs. top 25 4-14 vs. ACC

Please I wait for a response.

Posted by: Terps911 | January 3, 2011 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Seems like Anderson took a $20 bill out of our wallets, gave us back 2 $10s and is trying to convince us its better

Posted by: TerpfanMA | January 3, 2011 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh and maybe you should attended more than 3 games a year (bet you don't donate any money to the Terrapins Club either)

Edsall's points vs. ranked teams 264

Ranked Teams points on Edsall 597

outscored 2.2:1 v. ranked teams.

Posted by: Terps911 | January 3, 2011 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Strange choices for Mr Edsall. The same guy that guided Connecticut through the murder of Jasper Howard snuck out of town without saying good bye and good luck to his players? Then he makes a lateral move to the ACC and takes a step backwards to Maryland?

Posted by: bb418 | January 3, 2011 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Terpgrad,

Was Ralph’s and Gray’s relationship that bad? If my inferences are correct, they were fraternity brothers as undergrads (and technically still are). Gary is a 1968 graduate and Friedgen is a 1970 grad. They were both members of the Maryland chapter of Phi Delta Theta as undergrads. Based on that timeline, their paths would have crossed along time ago before either of them ever contemplated coaching a team at Maryland. I’m just curious on what you think since you are a TC member and season ticket holder in both sports. Thanks

Posted by: TerpAlum | January 3, 2011 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Gary and Fridge had a fine relationship from what I could tell. I think some people are referring to a DC Sports Bog item from 2 weeks ago about the time Fridge and Gary had a beer. In that story, Fridge gave Gary appeared to have a little friction at first over one small incident, but nothing came of it and they definitely were big supporters of each other through tough times. Both were frequently seen attending each other's games.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 3, 2011 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I actually remember the Maryland players ASKING for the "Fat Guy" (Fridge) to be hired when they were brought into the selection process to replace Vanderlinden!
My, didn't RE even look like RV today?
Here's my take on KA from another thread:
Bottom line here, Kevin Anderson is a hack. He was supposed to possess the qualities and strategic sense of a top manager from the private sector (Xerox Corp). Instead we are treated to a half-baked succession scheme resulting in the firing of a revered alumnus who was on the verge of a great season, the hiring of an apparently decent man in Edsall that can only be described as a lateral move (at best) for the program, and an alienated (read pi$$ed off) fan base. Wanna hear confused? KA was considering, until quite recently hiring June Jones, the same June Jones that was hammered by Anderson’s former Army team in the Armed Forces Bowl.
For an "executive" his handling of Ralph Freidgen didn't even rise to the level of amateurish. He should avail himself of some classes at the 15th ranked Robert H. Smith Business School at UMd. while he is on campus. I think, as a state employee, he should qualify for tuition remission.

Posted by: MrCrabbyPatty | January 3, 2011 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Recruiting was easier for Maryland when Bobby Ross was coach. The kids wanted to play for a coach with NFL experience. The AD should have waited for the NFL carnage from all the coaches being fired. A NFL coach would have pleased alumni (like me) and some filled seats.

Posted by: teajay_dc | January 3, 2011 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: teajay_dc | January 3, 2011 10:50 PM | Report abuse

And exactly how many NFL coaches would have wanted to coach a college program? There are very few that have made a successful transition from NFL to college. Butch Davis is pretty much just treading water at UNC. Pete Carroll was a cheater. Lane Kiffin is a cheater. Charlie Weiss was a disaster. Al Groh, like Fridge, was good at first and then trailed off at the end.

The only recent successes at making the jump down are Nick Saban, who is a college football lifer that dabbled for a couple of years in the NFL, and June Jones, who the Terps talked to.

Also, Fridge had NFL experience (was OC at the Super Bowl for SD under Bobby Ross), and put TONS of kids in the NFL. However, just having that NFL experience and mistique does not make kids want to sign on the dotted line. Recruiting has become a very complicated process, and one that not even Bobby Ross would be very good at today (he was terrible at Army a few years ago, granted that program has a completely different way of recruiting).

I would still be concerned about Edsall's ability to recruit. Maryland's been working with "diamonds in the rough" for the past 20 years. Edsall has no track recrod in brining in blue chippers, and his military-like approach is not going to fly with some of the diva high school players of today that are using college as a gateway to the NFL.

Posted by: Russtinator | January 4, 2011 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: teajay_dc | January 3, 2011 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Russtinator | January 4, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Wish Maryland the best of luck with Edsall, remember what your last passing touchdown looked like from 2010...because with him you probably won't see another one in 2011. He was great to start up our program, but it just got stagnant and stale on the offense over the past several seasons. But he will be safe and will not embarass your program with any scandals or ridiculous comments. I honestly don't think he is any better then Fridge....you guys just got a newer model.

Posted by: Saltydog1987 | January 4, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse