Posted at 2:37 PM ET, 02/ 4/2011

Defensive coordinator Don Brown to leave Maryland for Connecticut

By Matt Bonesteel

UPDATED 5:54 WITH COMMENT FROM RANDY EDSALL TO POST

UPDATED 4:57 P.M. WITH REACTION FROM RECRUITS' COACHES

UPDATED 4:13 P.M. WITH U-CONN. ANNOUNCING BROWN'S HIRING

Don Brown will leave his job as Maryland's defensive coordinator to accept the same position at Connecticut, the school announced on Friday afternoon.

Brown, who came to Maryland in January 2009 as part of former coach Ralph Friedgen's staff, was retained by new Maryland coach Randy Edsall when he was hired earlier this year from Connecticut. The Huskies hired former Syracuse coach Paul Pasqualoni to replace Edsall.

Edsall said in a telephone interview that he had “no clue” that Brown was considering leaving.

“It was one of those things where I got a phone call late yesterday [from Connecticut] asking if they could talk” to Brown, Edsall said.

Edsall has not set a timetable to hire Brown’s replacement and is weighing whether to promote one of his current assistants or make an outside hire. Edsall also has to hire a new running backs coach after David Walker left to join the Indianapolis Colts’ coaching staff earlier this week.

“There’s different options that I can go, and what I’m going to do is explore my options and go from there,” Edsall said. “I’m going to get the best person to come in here and take over.”

Brown has extensive experience as a coach in New England. From 2004 to 2008, he was the head coach at Massachusetts, and before that spent four seasons as the head coach at Northeastern. He also was an assistant at Brown, Yale and Dartmouth.

“He’s been down here two years without his family, and his daughter had a baby. He just felt that he was going to go back home,” Edsall said in a telephone interview. “He was here for two years without them, and it was very, very difficult. Plus, his daughter had a baby, and she’s 19. So he felt that he needed to go back home.”

Known for his complex blitzing schemes, Brown crafted a defense that ranked 39th nationally in yards allowed per game in 2010 (352.31 yards per game) and 21st against the run (124.46 yards per game). Opposing quarterbacks compiled a 107.59 rating against the Terrapins last season, the ninth-lowest rating in the nation.

Among the prospects who signed with Maryland on Wednesday was Quince Orchard linebacker Alex Twine. On the same day that Maryland announced that Brown would be retained under Edsall, Brown went to meet with Twine and his family, according to Quince Orchard Coach Dave Mencarini.

“I’m pretty surprised, to say the least,” Mencarini said of the news that Brown was leaving for Connecticut.

Mencarini said he talked Friday afternoon with Twine's uncle but had not yet talked to Twine because he had a basketball game Friday night. Mencarini called the timing of the departure “peculiar” being so soon after national signing day.

“He signed his national letter-of-intent,” Mencarini said. “There really are no options. I don’t believe kids have much flexibility. Alex really wants to be a Terp. He wants to play at Maryland. That’s always been his goal. We went through a transition with the coaching change. This is just another transition that we will have to make.”

Bill Kramer, who coached Maryland signee Lukas Foreman at Naples High School in Florida, did not learn of Brown’s departure until informed by a reporter Friday. Kramer had yet to talk to Foreman.

When told Brown was leaving Maryland for Connecticut, Kramer said: “To do what? Head coach?” When told he would be the Huskies' defensive coordinator, Kramer said, “Why on earth would he do that?”

“That’s wild, man,” Kramer said. “I don’t know what to say. [Brown’s presence] was the biggest reason he was going to Maryland. That really is surprising to me."

Kramer said Foreman's options are limited because he already has signed a letter-of-intent.

“It’s all water under the bridge at this point,” Kramer said. “There is no way out of it. The only way out of it is to play down, Division II or something.”

Bowie High cornerback A.J. Hendy said he signed with Maryland after the head coaching change because of the bond he had developed with Brown.

"The first time I went up to Maryland I felt a real connection with Coach Brown," Hendy said earlier this week. "He’s a football guy. I think he knows the game a lot. It’s amazing. Every time I go up there he’s got a new cornerback (video) cutup or a DB cutup for me to watch. I feel like we’re on the same level with the love we have for the game."

By Matt Bonesteel  | February 4, 2011; 2:37 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Talkin' Terps: The ACC's perceived downward trend
Next: Former Terp Madieu Williams wins NFL's Walter Payton Award

Comments

A disaster. UVA is going to dominate Maryland in two years.

Posted by: Chief2 | February 4, 2011 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Congrats again to our AD Kevin Anderson! The man that single-handedly blew up the Maryland Football Program!

Posted by: aviscardo | February 4, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse

So now you have to believe he was just sticking around to help retain commitments. Not uncommon, but still shady. Not a good look.

Posted by: Moosie1022 | February 4, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Anderson and Edsall=Dumb and Dumber Feel bad for the recruits who just signed LOI on Wed under the guise of Brown being the DC.

Posted by: rich263 | February 4, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Just great.

A new defense to go with a new offense.

Thank you Kevin Anderson, you took a team on the rise and have now obliterated it all because there wasn't enough "buzz" surrounding it for your taste.

We won't worry about having to play in RFK Stadium and being served raw cheeseburgers next year because now I have my doubts about this team getting bowl eligible.

Posted by: CapsNut | February 4, 2011 3:11 PM | Report abuse

If true, terrible of Brown to do this AFTER signing day. If I was a defensive new recruit I would feel like I was completely deceived.

Posted by: WelcometotheTurtledome | February 4, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

WTF??? This is just horrendous news. Edsall's in quite a pickle now. I feel really bad for Kenny Tate and any other current players that were looking forward to a 3rd year in Brown's scheme. A defense that was finally starting to click now has to be completely rebuilt.

Way to WASTE a year Kevin Anderson!!

Posted by: Russtinator | February 4, 2011 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Anderson has succeeded in burning down the whole house. Edsall shadily leaves UConn like the Colts left Baltimore, which is repaid in kind by Don Brown leaving Maryland. For Brown to leave after promising those recruits he'd be there is just unconscionable. Get ready for the entire Athletic Department to go up in flames. Ask yourselves the following question: Who in their right mind would want to work for Maryland? It is utter chaos in that department. I don't think there was a chapter in Good to Great that outlined how to destroy an organization. If this is true about Brown leaving, it's a humiliating day to be a Terp. And many more to come.

Posted by: WheelsRI | February 4, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Anderson strikes again. Let's be clear, even though I didn't support James Franklin I still found it a little odd that Anderson did absolutely nothing to try to keep him when Vandy offered him the job. Then it was even odder to fire the ACC COY rather than extend him, simply because Franklin left. Then, to make matters worse, he infuriates the fan base by not getting Mike Leach. Now, the icing on the cake, letting our D-coordinator go without a fight.

I wasn't going to say anything about this the other night on the board bc I didn't want to take away from the fact that MD played poorly against Duke and were beaten soundly. But on the eve of the biggest game of the season, our team had yet another Kevin Anderson-created, needless, distraction to deal with: controlling our "unruly" fans. First of all, last year's "riot" was not a riot but a bunch of out of control PG county police picking a fight and assaulting innocent bystanders. Yet the number one topic the day of the game was the fans, not the game itself. This wouldn't have been a story at all if Kevin Anderson hadn't called for a 'pep-rally' before the game to lecture the students on proper behavior, called for a school sanctioned bonfire on campus, and ordered Gary to address the situation by talking to the students before tip off, which no doubt was an annoying distraction before game time.

Gee, a self-created needless distraction before the biggest game of the season...where have I seen this before? Oh wait, you mean Kevin Anderson created some distracting headlines before the biggest game of the football season as well? Ah yes...the FSU game, with everything on the line. Anderson oddly announced on the eve of the nationally televised game that Friedgen would keep his job next year. Fridge himself thought the timing of the announcement was rather peculiar and almost insulting. Of course he was going to keep his job next year, he was under contract, he was 7-3, and on his way to ACC COY honors--and MD was in the driver's seat for the division title. Making that announcement to the press seemed to serve only one purpose: Anderson wanted to get his name mentioned in the ABC prime time game. Fridge even acknowledged he wasn't thinking about any of that and was trying to focus on the game itself, but way to needlessly create a distraction for the head coach.

The result in both instances was a MD loss. Next time, perhaps Kevin Anderson should have a restraining order imposed on him--or at least a muzzle--so he can't create any more distractions on the eve of big games.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 4, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

As a UConn fan this is fantastic.

First, we got rid of Edsall to the Terps.

Then, we snatch a first rate DC from Maryland.

In an odd way, the Terps are the best thing that ever happened to the Huskies football program.

Posted by: marking82time | February 4, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

It's one thing to be that way at 53, another at 63.

Or we could go back to 2-10 seasons, 5/6 win seasons, those sound fun!

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | February 4, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Gary Williams is given a pass for 8 years of average. Edsall is a failure before even playing a game or holding a practice. People need to give the guy a chance.

Posted by: Dancy1 | February 4, 2011 3:47 PM | Report abuse

When I was 13 years old I traded my Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. baseball card for two Donruss Tom Gordon cards and a pack of gum. Not a day goes by that I don't regret that trade. One day Kevin Anderson is going to look back on this offseason and feel like that 13 year old kid.

Posted by: fushezzi | February 4, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

markingtime i'm sure the recruits will be beating down the door to come to uconn now. i smell a bcs bid next season!

Posted by: heatseeker690069 | February 4, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I just threw up in my mouth after reading this.

This does not make Kevin Anderson look good at all. I have been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but, letting Brown get away for the same job at a worse football school than Maryland, is a bone head move.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 4, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Unreal. Simply unreal.

Posted by: NaptownTerrapin | February 4, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Dear lord, listen to all of you.

Rany Edsall has done nothing more than take a Div. 2 program to a BCS bowl game inside of a decade. Let's at least give him a chance to field a team here at Maryland before you run him out of town.

And Don Brown's departure isn't the end of the world. For all the "good" that happened this year, he was a big part of 2-10 last year.

Let's not forget, we couldn't stop Florida State, we nearly blew a 20 point lead to BC and NCSU scored 3 times in the last 4 minutes to make a blowout close.

Yeah, Don was able to stop Morgan State and a very bad Wake Forest team.

This was hardly the college version of the Steelers.

Posted by: jimbo561 | February 4, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Unreal. Simply unreal.

Posted by: NaptownTerrapin | February 4, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

So much for Don Brown and his "finishing what we started"! ...one word...REALLY?!!

Fushezzi - Should I apply for the A.D. job?
I sold 6 of my rookie Mark McGuire cards for a bundle, beating the steroid scandal to come.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | February 4, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Dear lord, listen to all of you.

Yeah, Don was able to stop Morgan State and a very bad Wake Forest team.

This was hardly the college version of the Steelers.

Posted by: jimbo561 | February 4, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Fushezzi - Should I apply for the A.D. job?

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | February 4, 2011 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Let's settle down please.

All Randy Edsall has done is take a program that was Div. II and make them BCS eligible in less than a decade.

Shouldn't we at least let the guy play a game before you demand that he's fired?

I loved Ralph, but if you actually get to know any of the players, they had a difficult time respecting a guy who couldn't get out of his golf cart at practice. He did a good job, had a great first three years, but since then, he's been about .500.

And Don Brown, please? He was the Defensive Coordinator in the 2-10 season. They were pathetic.

He blew leads this year against Miami and almost blew leads against BC and NCSU. We couldn't stop WVU at all.

Don's replacable.

Let's give the new coach a chance.

Posted by: jimbo561 | February 4, 2011 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Let's give the new coach a chance.

Posted by: jimbo561 | February 4, 2011 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I was willing to give the coach a chance because he was willing to keep Don Brown on staff, and continue the increased success his defensive scheme had provided to the Terps over his 2 years. This defense would never have gone back to that 2-10 season, because the conplexity of the scheme required a steep learning curve. You could see the improvement of the defense as this past year went along, and that's even considering that the personnel running it were not necessarily ideal for it (slow linebackers in particular).

Don Brown's retention was the reason I was looking forward to next season. I wanted to see Kenny Tate grow into an Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu-type free safety in a blitz-happy scheme that he was getting really comfortable in. I was looking forward to see Demetrius Hartsfield turn into a dangerous outside linebacker, and Joe Vellano turn into one of the best pash rushers since Shawne Merriman.

Now this team is back to square one, and what lokked to be a retooling year, is now officially a rebuilding year. I'm guessing Kenny Tate is shooting himself for not declaring for the draft now, he was probably a 3rd of 4th round pick, and now it's unknown how a new DC will use his amazing talents.

Posted by: Russtinator | February 4, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

To all those who are defending Edsall, please stop. No one is attacking him, we are all going to give him a chance, so relax. This isn't about Edsall at all and never has been. I'm sure he is a fine coach, and time will tell if he is better than Friedgen.

"So I guess everyone thinks it would have been a great idea to give a five year extension to an extensively overweight 63 year old football coach? It's one thing to be that way at 53, another at 63. Or we could go back to 2-10 seasons, 5/6 win seasons, those sound fun!"

As for the above comment, please. So overweight people shouldn't get extensions once they hit a certain arbitrary age, despite their job performance? Do you realize you just admitted you are bigoted against overweight people? I'm sure you are right that his weight played a role in why he was fired, but I don't think it's ok to judge people like that.

As for "we could go back to 2-10 seasons, 5/6 win seasons, those sound fun!" You must be kidding. Friedgen's teams won 9 games or more 5 times, including last year. We went to 7 bowl games in 10 years, including last year. We won 5 of our last 6 bowl games by a whopping 202-93. So acting like the Fridge years were full of horrible seasons is just dishonest.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 4, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Can we wait to see who the replacement is before we get our panties all bunched up?

Posted by: steven09 | February 4, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I agree it is very surprising and raises many questions. But I'm not piling on until some of the facts come out, which at some point they will. I'm certainly not blaming Anderson and Edsell for this. My main concern at this point is that we have a viable candidate to replace Brown.

Posted by: petecard | February 4, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

If Wednesday night's loss was Kevin Anderson's fault, is the Military Bowl victory his triumph? The Terps need to win the ACC tournament. May it be so, with all my hear.

Posted by: flynnie321 | February 4, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Meh, whatever.

As for me. One time elementary school I traded one of those Jose Canseco cartoonish "big-head" baseball cards for a watch-calculator.

I was the definite big winner in that one. Who knows how many math tests I got 100% on back in elementary school thanks to that trade.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 4, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: steven09 | February 4, 2011 4:34 PM
================

Which makes me the woman. I have no interest in that, besides occasionally wearing the underwear. Which, as we discussed, is strictly a comfort thing.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 4, 2011 4:44 PM | Report abuse

mydogsnameisdixon,

Your McGwire haul is quite impressive and based up those merits, I now pronounce you Maryland's new AD....and GM of all my baseball cards. Time the market and make me some money!

That is all, carry on.

Posted by: fushezzi | February 4, 2011 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: steven09 | February 4, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

No, because whoever is brought in is not going to run the same scheme as Brown (it was a pretty unique system in college football). The past 2 years of learning has been wasted. The improvement the unit made of the past two years was useless, and the seniors on this roster will now have to learn their 3 rd new defensive scheme of their career. Once you commit to a specialized scheme (like the spread offense, 5-5 defense, or triple option offense), you can't just turn a 180 in a year. Letting Don Brown go is like saying, "we don't care if we lose a few more games next year, because we have a new coach, who deserves some latitude." The Terps were poised to compete for the ACC Championship next year, and probably still had a good chance because the defense would continue to improve in the 3rd year of Don Brown's scheme. Now this team is almost certainly going to regress and waste a year from the best QB the Terps have had since the 80's.

Posted by: Russtinator | February 4, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Really? Only Don Brown can have a good defense? Why wasn't everyone trying to hire him as a Head Coach if he's that gifted?

Again, we gave up big leads against Miami, BC and NCSU. We had NO ANSWER for WVU.

I believe we have talent coming back on defense. I thought Don totally missused the athletic ability of Demetrius Hartsfield.

I too believe that Kenny Tate will have a great year and Vellano and the entire line will be much better than in recent years.

Don't believe that Don has some magic that nobody else can capture. We'll be fine. If there is anything college football should teach us it's that EVERYONE is replacable.

Posted by: jimbo561 | February 4, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Funny how I think that this move was delayed so Recruits would not bail... once they get the signed committment, bam, bolt. I saw it coming. Edsall seems like a Micromanager (Since he blossomed under the Tom Coughlin tree) adn I think he would be handcuffing or looking over brown's shoulder.... this better work or Anderson/Edsall wont last long at MD.

Posted by: rvanags | February 4, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rvanags | February 4, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

this is the worst news by far. SMH, now the Terps have to rebuild a D?!?! C'mon man! sad sad sad day to be a Terp fan. I wonder how RE is feeling now. KA how do you plan on marketing this season?

I will say this though. This blog still managed to put a smile on my face... I can see I wasn't the only idiot making trades with his baseball cards...I once traded the Bird/Dr. J/Magic Rookie card for a Sega Genesis, Mike Greenwell Rookie & Mo Vaugh Wareham Gatemen card!

Posted by: dasilva_ryan | February 4, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

If Don Brown's skill set were so unbelievable, why wasn't he being persued as a Head Coach? Oh yeah, Defensive Coordinators are a dime a dozen.

I realize Don ran a different defense. I also realize that Don's defense couldn't hold a lead against Miami and barely held on against BC and NCSU this past year. Yes, they had a big stop against Navy, a team that had over 400 yards against Don's vaunted defense.

Don isn't the only person who can get talented players like Kenny Tate, Joe Vellano and Demetrius Hartsfield to play well. I actually thought Don wasted Hartsfield's talent this year.

They weren't a shut down defense.

Don didn't upgrade going to UCONN, he just started new.

If there is anything we should learn from watching college football it's this; everyone is replacable.

Posted by: jimbo561 | February 4, 2011 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Sigh...VT is losing a lot of talent. FSU/Clemson's recruiting classes are 2 years away from contributing. So if Anderson had done nothing then we would have had a legit shot at the ACC title AND improved recruiting because college football recruiting has a 1-2 year lag (2-10 --> #44 class in 2011; 9-4 --> better class in 2012; 2011 ACC title run --> better 2013 class etc.)...Oh, and Comcast was dead for *Duke*. It came through on tv. Barno's comment at 3:27 is correct.

Posted by: akin365 | February 4, 2011 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Per theacc.com, the official website of the ACC, Don Brown's and Maryland's vaunted defense finished 7th is scoring defense this past season.

That's an improvement from the previous year, but hardly a resume builder.

Like everyone else, Don Brown can be replaced.

Posted by: jimbo561 | February 4, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

They weren't a shut down defense.

Don didn't upgrade going to UCONN, he just started new.

Posted by: jimbo561 | February 4, 2011 5:02 PM | Report abuse

So I guess you have someone in mind now that just about every DI job and major coordinator job is already filled. Don Brown's offense wasn't given a chance in the Miami game beacuse the offense couldn't hold onto the ball. The defense was singlehandedly responsible for 14 points in that game.

The NCState game was in hand, and Brown was playing 3rd stringers when NCState started making their comeback. The comeback was possible because of poor officiating and a terrible special teams play that gave NCState back to back posessions. The same goes for BC, but it never got really close.

The defense didn't get "ripped" by Florida State. They gave up one big play and committed a couple of questionable penalties. The game was headed to overtime if DOB throws a TD instead of a pick-6.

Those who aren't screaming about this move must not have watched the development of this team over the 2010 season. Heck, I was ready to ship Don Brown back to UMass at the end of last season, but as each game went along, you could see the scheme start to click. They were getting pressure on the QB (sometimes a litle late because of a lack of LB speed), and they were generating tons of turnovers and points. His defense is not necessarily about stopping every play, it's about setting up the next play that can result in a TFL, sack, or turnover. You could see the lightbulbs start to turn on at the FIU game as the defense held a pretty dynamic offense in check for most of the game, and created turnovers.

Beyond the scheme, Don Brown brought a level of continuity to the program, and as the leading holdover from the Fridge-era, he should have been an important asset to make a smooth transition so that this team is not subject to a rebuilding process. New offense + old defense=retooling, but new offense + new defense=rebuilding!

Posted by: Russtinator | February 4, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

“He was the biggest reason I was going to go and play there,” Dorleant said. “If he made the decision a week before Signing Day, I definitely wouldn’t be going to Maryland. And I mean, there’s nothing I can really do now.”

The timing of this really makes the program look bad!

Posted by: rich263 | February 4, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

The timing of this really makes the program look bad!

Posted by: rich263 | February 4, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

As if Kevin Anderson hasn't made a joke of the Athletic Department already. When will it end? What other moronic move will he make that will further deteriorate Terps athletics? I'm really considering pulling my support from this fly-by-night operation.

Posted by: Russtinator | February 4, 2011 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Neither Franklin nor Brown were great in the strategy department for the last couple of years. We hear Franklin was this great co-ordinator but that was based on what? Maybe he was a great recruiter but I never thought the shelves were that stocked. Brown's defenses have given up a ton over the past 2 years. They blitzed a lot and he was creative but was taken apart by athletic teams. The whole program now looks stupid because whatever continuity we had just took a hike and we have Mr. Anderson to thank for this one. I was not a fan of the Edsall hire but I liked the coaching staff he was putting together, especially on the offensive side. I was not enamored with Brown, so I'll wait and see who they hire for D coordinator before I have an opinion.

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | February 4, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | February 4, 2011 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Don Brown is a very good coach, not great which makes him replaceable...How about Randy Shannon, he has a pretty solid D, and he would bring in 4 star recruits

Posted by: babycas2000 | February 4, 2011 5:49 PM | Report abuse

So not such a good day to be a Terp...as to why Coach Brown in leaving I'd guess either a conflict with the HC or more likely "follow the money". Wonder why VT is consistently so successful; stable assistant coaches staff. And why do their assistants stay and ours tend not to.."follow the money".

Posted by: generalike | February 4, 2011 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow. This just signals to next year's recruits not to believe anything that comes out of any of the UMD football heads' mouth.

Posted by: Albright4Snapper | February 4, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Albright4Snapper | February 4, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

You hit the nail on the head. Even if this weren't true, our competitors will use this against us in the recruiting process. It's the perception that will kill us more than anything.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 4, 2011 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there is any question that Maryland screwed up their recruiting class when they ditched the Fridge.

They would have been really decimated if they had admitted that they were losing their DC as well.

Still, it's a bit dishonest to keep your DC until the weekend after signing day, isn't it?

Posted by: Benson | February 4, 2011 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1

----------------------------------------

The perception?

This looks a lot like actual dishonesty, doesn't it?

Posted by: Benson | February 4, 2011 6:29 PM | Report abuse

When the dust settles and the last domino has fallen, it sure feels like we are going to be in a weaker position all across the board...

Just remember, we paid an additional $2,000,000 for this privelege.....Yikes Kevin! I wonder if his "ask the AD" mailbox has be re-opened yet????

Posted by: TerpfanMA | February 4, 2011 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Matt, a question:

Do we by chance know when his daughter had this baby? By chance was it at 7am on Wednesday morning when these kids were sending in their LOIs? If it wasn't, there's no excuse for this.

This is a serious question though. Do we know when she had this baby? Thanks.

Posted by: Cohen1 | February 4, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse

If it is possible, Edsall ought to release the recruits that now want to go as a result of Brown's departure. Why force someone to be on your team that doesn't want to be there?

It would restore and enhance Maryland football credibility.

Lastly, I propose to the NCAA that coaches be bound by the same rule as the student athletes... No changes after signing day. When the season is completed, they can move again.

Posted by: muddapucker | February 4, 2011 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think the univ. made a mistake hiring him. And, I wouldn't be surprised if he is there because of the univ. policies of affirmative action.

Here goes to filling our stadium -- NOT!

One blunder after another ... I feel for the student athletes.

Posted by: mi6-007 | February 4, 2011 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Some very good comments have been made. It is a sad day in Terp Nation or what is left of it. We have an AD that does not have a clue what to do. Kevin Anderson made the fans sounds like a bunch of thugs that no one wanted to be in Comcast. Then Kevin Anderson left town. He was at an AD convention somewhere so if things blew up he could not be blamed. What a slap in the face not to appear at the recruiting celebration. The crowd was way down at the recruiting celebration. It was moved up to 5 p.m. and intros started promptly at 6 p.m. It was boring. No interaction, no intro of the families, or video clips of the boys in action. As I have said before we are headed back into the desert of the Roy Lester, Bob Ward, Kravac, and VanLinden coaching days. I have met Edsell, he seems nice, but I don't trust someone that is constantly smiling. Guess we know why now. IF I were a parent of a newly signed recruit I would be mad. There is no excuse for this type of behavior. I am now really worried about the game with Towson State. Instead of being a boring game, we might lose. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FIRE KEVIN ANDERSON NOW before he screws up anything else. HIRE RALPH FREIDGEN for AD or bring Debbie Yow back, Debbie never missed a game or an event. Debbie would have been at the celebration, Duke game and then would have taken a red eye to the convention.

Posted by: mdterpmom | February 4, 2011 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I got 3 words for coach Don Brown, and AD Kevin Anderson, "SHAME ON YOU!"

The 2 of you have single-handedly damaged univ. of maryland's credibility for future recruiting.

And, Don you ain't that great! Hope we can seriously upgrade at that specific coaching position!

Posted by: mi6-007 | February 4, 2011 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Another example of the stupidness of Kevin Anderson. Fire him before he destroys Terp Nation. Md fans were voted the best fans in the world and he makes us out to be a bunch of thugs. He does not appear at the recruitment celebration because he has gone to a convention. The recruitment celebration was poorly attended. Boring - no intros of the families, nor clips of the new players. Just to be once you became a Terp always a Terp, this crew really knows how to destroy everything the Ath.Dept has built.

Posted by: mdterpmom | February 4, 2011 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdterpmom | February 4, 2011 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1

----------------------------------------

The perception?

This looks a lot like actual dishonesty, doesn't it?

Posted by: Benson | February 4, 2011 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely. Kevin Anderson has already shown himself to be a dishonest classless jerk. We already knew he was not a man of his word before this. What I was saying was even if that wasn't the case and we were all somehow wrong and KA really was an honest administrator, it doesn't matter at this point because the perception is out there. And he let that perception happen.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 4, 2011 8:19 PM | Report abuse

No doubt this is a big loss...but lets see who Coach Edsall hires.

I think Terps have enough talent and experience coming back for the 2011 season to win 9+ games...compete for the ACC title, and win a nice bowl game.

Lets give Randy a chance to fill the job before blasting him.

Posted by: johnbecka | February 4, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone so surprised? It's just more of that "Integrity Thing" over at the old UofM. I'm sure Monkey #1 (Dr. Wally)will certainly step in and release the recruits from their LOIs. Then Monkey #2 (SlAnderson) will pronounce the whole unfortunate turn of events over. Finally, Monkey #3 (Smiling Randy) will stoically hire another barely experienced, whitebread intern from UNC to lead the Defense. See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil. Three Monkeys at work over at the old UofM.

Posted by: Terps85 | February 4, 2011 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Agree this is bad and another strike against the AD, but it's not like everyone is going to forget how to play defense.

This departure just puts Edsall more on the hook. The next guy is his hire, so it is his fault if things go south.

Posted by: dc_attorney | February 4, 2011 8:35 PM | Report abuse

This smells like you know what.. But I will wait to hear form both Brown and Edsall, to find out what happened.. It sucks for the recruits if they were mislead, I hope not..

Posted by: frostanna | February 4, 2011 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if this recruit will even show up this weekend? At least he's an offensive player and would be a good addition.

From BMore Sun: Maryland is scheduled to host Justus Pickett, a senior RB from Ardrey Kell High in NC, on an official visit this weekend.

"He's still trying to figure it out," coach Adam Hastings said. "We have until April 2 but I think this time next week he'll have an idea of where he's at."

Hastings said Pickett will choose between Maryland, Arkansas, Ball State and West Virginia.

Posted by: Terps85 | February 4, 2011 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Let's take a deep breath and say this: We really don't know any of the details that have transpired. All of us are merely speculating. We are blasting everyone without knowing anything. And we are certain that we are right. This is a sad chapter for the TI.

Posted by: petecard | February 4, 2011 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Fushezzi - Should I apply for the A.D. job?

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | February 4, 2011 4:07 PM

Man, all those nice cards and you still never found out how to spell his name

Posted by: Kev29 | February 4, 2011 10:25 PM | Report abuse

petecard-Could not agree more. Both RE and KA are taking hits for this but we don't know the full story. From the comments DB made it seems he was hell bent on returning to the New England area. Not sure the situation he is getting into is all that great, what with a surprise choice as head coach there and a booster asking for his money back. I also agree that maybe RE should offer to release anyone who now wants to change their mind about going to MD. Tough time for all involved.

Posted by: fellowfan | February 4, 2011 10:27 PM | Report abuse

"One has to wonder whether or not Kevin Anderson is a qualified Athletic Director to guide Univ. of Maryland to it's glory days ...

Here goes to filling our stadium -- NOT!

One blunder after another ... I feel for the student athletes.

Posted by: mi6-007 | February 4, 2011 7:35 PM"
-->This isn't Barno?

Posted by: break20 | February 5, 2011 2:41 AM | Report abuse

No, mi6-007 is not barno.

I think more and more people are finally starting to realize the obvious: that Kevin Anderson was hired because of the school's over-commitment to diversity.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Quick question: How exactly is Anderson responsible for this? I suppose you could trace it back to the firing of Fridge, but that's not the strongest argument. Could it be that Brown just wanted to be in New England again?

Posted by: Finnucane | February 5, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Barno I just don't get it, as much as I respect ur devotion to the UMD. I know almost nothing about KA, other than the fact the search comittee selected him. Among the members of this group was GW, a coach I respect for his honesty and opinion. Is KA right for the job? We won't know until much further down the road. This DB thing, in my opinion has nothing to do with him. Brown, in my mind, wanted to leave and return to New England and caught MD by surprise. I would say that the jury is still out on DB's coaching skills and, for that matter, RE's reaction to his leaving. I hope we have the patience to wait and see what happens. And to repeat, I was okay with letting RF go if you were not going to extend his contract. There is no way a staff could have been put together for just one season.

Posted by: fellowfan | February 5, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Nah didn't you guys hear?

The crisis in Egypt is actually the fault of Kevin Anderson.

Something bad happens it's Anderson's fault.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 5, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

To me, this is a critical moment for UM's reputation.

The right thing to do would be for full public disclosure of exactly what happened and when from all parties.

The kids who were recruited by Brown should be released from their LOI, and the NCAA should cooperate in that. They ought to be able to make a decision without being duped. I mean come on on Maryland! This coach leaves just a few days after the commitment day? Do the right thing, and do it fast.

If I were one of these kids I might be tempted to sue for fraud and to have the LOI judicially declared void.

The president of UMD needs to get this thing straight.

Posted by: aclearview | February 5, 2011 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"And to repeat, I was okay with letting RF go if you were not going to extend his contract. There is no way a staff could have been put together for just one season."
-->I agree but there's no reason his contract couldn't have been extended for 3 more years. MD won't admit but weight's an issue. Gary's done a worse job with the basketball program at a BASKETBALL SCHOOL and he's given a free pass, and he's older.

Posted by: break20 | February 5, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Is the Insider aware that MD owned Wake or like the crowd was there a letdown in the coverage?

Posted by: break20 | February 5, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game...great to see us put away another ACC foe by double digits. Had good talk with Liz Clarke who i ran into at halftime. I think she is as good as Prisbell at covering the Terps, certainly better than Yanda. After we smoke Longwood, we'll be 16-8 and have a key game at BC, who upset VTech today.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I did not see this report until this mornings print edition. I was shocked by the news. I and some others had an extended conversation with Don on Wed. night at the recruit celebration. Not a hint that something like this would happen. I can't believe that this took place in a day and a half after that event. If he did have this deal working before Wed. then I think it is shameful conduct and I would agree that UMD should let any of those recruits out of their LOI because of this.

I don't know enough pure football to say that he is or isn't a really good coach but the defense did improve a great deal with even greater expectations for this comng season. Now whoever Edsall brings in will have a new defensive scheme which will surely slow the program down.

Why is it that coaches can break their contracts without any $$$ consequence but if the school fires them the contract has to be bought out?

First the RB coach goes to the NFL just weeks after being hired and now this. Anyone think the high $$$ the OC is reportedly getting has anything to do with these defections?

My expectations for the 2011 season were very high given the talent we appear to have on board. I will continue to expect a 9-10 win season but I am preparing for lot lower results. If so I think they should fire both KA and RE for not performing as promised. If we were coming off the pre-RF era this sort of thing might have gone almost unnoticed but after our expectations have been raised by RF, even with the off years, this should not be considered an acceptable way to run a D1 program.

Posted by: JoeR123 | February 5, 2011 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Can we hire Bud Foster?

Posted by: ecglotfelty | February 5, 2011 8:19 PM | Report abuse

After we smoke Longwood

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2011 5:20 PM
----------

Come again?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 5, 2011 8:28 PM | Report abuse

This SMELLS of Brown being paid off to stick around until LOI day and keep his mouth shut. The UMD football program is getting down right disgusting, and it is all Anderson. That ..jerk...needs to go, now, before he destroys more of the sports prgrams. There were so many people I spoke to before the Duke bball game that said they are not renewing tickets for football. Anderson caused a trainwreck that keeps pulling more and more cars off the track. This business with Brown...I do not believe for one second Edsall didn't know. That is a bunch of crap, so we know we have a liar as a coach as well.

Posted by: rscott251 | February 6, 2011 3:33 AM | Report abuse

Anyone thinks the AD and RE didn't know Brown was leaving is a fool, and it raises serious ethical questions about KA and RE. The whole move by KA against Friedgen was recruiting, so a Def Co. was retained until just after LOI day, then he leaves. This is not spontaneous. It was set up. Anderson is scum that was an affirmative action hire. I called it the day it was announced. The only way to fix it, stop going to the football games. I hate to say that, but you can only fix it by not going to the games, or buying season tickets. My letter is ready to go to the Regents once my renewal form comes. Not to Loh or Anderson. They don't care.

Posted by: rscott251 | February 6, 2011 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rscott251 | February 6, 2011 7:20 AM | Report abuse

My bad, I meant after we eat some longwood for dinner. Wait, that wasn't any better. Um, hmmmm...ok, I've got it.

After we pound on longwood for 2 hours Wednesday night we'll be feeling good.

There, that should do it.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 6, 2011 10:56 AM | Report abuse

As for game yesterday, there was a key development that may change the outlook for the Terps the rest of the way. I've been arguing for Pe'Shon over Stoglin all year long and finally Gary made the switch:

Pe'Shon 32 minutes
Stoglin 12 minutes

Pe'Shon also had 8 assists to just 1 turnover. The guy is not quite a pure point guard but he's the purest one we have on the roster. And he's by far our best at seeing the court. If he's in the starting 5 the rest of the way, I am convinced we are tourney bound.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 6, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Definitely a great game from Pe'Shon. I think the biggest difference in the team right now is their deliberate penetration. It's something they weren't doing earlier in the year. I still think Stoglin is probably the better of the 2 at playing the point, but Howard certainly showed his abilities against Wake. He was confident, and wasn't fearful of being pulled if he made a mistake. If he can continue to play with that level of confidence the rest of the way, the Terps should be able to get to at least 10 ACC wins, and very well may get that 11th to make the ACC Tournament less of a necessity.

Posted by: Russtinator | February 6, 2011 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Russ, I think if we get to 10-6 it's very possible we'll get a first round bye.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 7, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

For the record, I am a huge fan of deliberate penetration. Its a strategy that is always appropriate and rarely works out poorly. Now, there is a risk in being too aggressive with your penetration or being too sloppy, but any skilled player should know to control themselves once they have achieved deep penetration.

As they say, a deliberate penetration offense always gets the best of a tight defense.

One should exercise caution using deliberate penetration against an unwilling defense as this can have severe consequences (See Rothelsberger, Ben for further details).

Posted by: terpape | February 7, 2011 11:30 AM | Report abuse

You have to wonder why he did not want to work with Edsall or for that matter why anyone would.........

Posted by: J56D | February 7, 2011 1:17 PM | Report abuse