Posted at 10:50 PM ET, 02/10/2011

Maryland close to an agreement with Randy Shannon to become DC

By Steve Yanda

Maryland and former Miami coach Randy Shannon drew close to an agreement Thursday that would make Shannon the football program's defensive coordinator, a source with direct knowledge of the situation told the Post's Eric Prisbell.

Shannon, who interviewed for the position with Maryland coach Randy Edsall earlier this week, would replace Don Brown, who abruptly ended his two-year stint as the team's defensive coordinator last week to take the same job at Connecticut. Should a deal with Shannon be finalized, Edsall's staff would be complete.

In four seasons as Miami's coach, Shannon compiled a 28-22 record. He was fired at the conclusion of last season.

Prior to his stint as the team's head coach, Shannon served as the Hurricanes' defensive coordinator for six seasons. During that time, Miami ranked lower than No. 7 in the nation once in total yards allowed per game.

The Baltimore Sun reported Thursday that Maryland had offered Shannon the job.

By Steve Yanda  | February 10, 2011; 10:50 PM ET
Categories:  Football, Randy Edsall
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland to honor Greivis Vasquez in ceremony Feb. 20
Next: VIDEO: Jordan Williams, Gary Williams talk about the growth of a top big man

Comments

If this is true, NICE!! However, we learned from the Leach fiasco not to trust anything til its final!

Posted by: dasilva_ryan | February 10, 2011 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Yep, hope this is not the smokescreen before Anderson swoops in to ruin the day.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 10, 2011 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Keep up the good work, KEV!!!

Posted by: iamasofaking | February 11, 2011 12:43 AM | Report abuse

What an amazing rebound by the Maryland Football Staff. Hiring a quality guy, a pretty good coach and a GREAT recruiter will add vitality to the program in no time.

Posted by: karlw171 | February 11, 2011 4:08 AM | Report abuse

I googled Shannon when this story first broke. He was linked to jobs at Kentucky, UCLA and Texas. As a matter of fact, several sources had him 'definitely' landing at Texas. So, I'm anxious for this to get done. Let's hope it's not another false start.

Posted by: erniegogo | February 11, 2011 6:06 AM | Report abuse

This would make soooo much sense, why do I get the feeling that something/someone is going to not make it happen...Hope not... Go Terps !!!

Posted by: frostanna | February 11, 2011 7:31 AM | Report abuse

This will be great if Terps can get it done. I am really starting to look forward to next season.

I already got my tix, I have already washed my UMD gear and i am putting the finishing touches on my "Ralph Who?" sign which I will bring to the opener.

Posted by: terpape | February 11, 2011 8:04 AM | Report abuse

This is better than the head coach signing.

Posted by: Albright4Snapper | February 11, 2011 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Shannon is much better than a pretty good coach. He is one of the very top defensive coaches in college football. He is a good recruiter and a very good mentor. His failings as a HC are classic and, although he no doubt wants to be a HC again, he is not suited to that job at a top level. We must keep in mind that he can have a very positive influence on our defense and the program in general but probably not for more than two years. But he can also have an impact on the other assistants to the point where one may well be able to move up when he departs. Hats of to Edsell and KA if this deal gets done.

Posted by: petecard | February 11, 2011 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Anderson is making all the right moves. When Franklin left, the program was in crisis. Do you act? Or do you keep things as they are, limping along for a year or two in a lame duck status and start the rebuilding process in 2013 or so? Fortunately, Anderson decided to act, and the pieces are coming together nicely. Thanks, Kevin!

Posted by: EdDC | February 11, 2011 8:57 AM | Report abuse

EdDC with his typical bs. Crisis??? Yeah, what a crisis, it would have been very easy to extend Ralph's contract...Even the biggest RF critic would have understood the move. Hardly anyone would have criticized extending the reigning ACC COY, at least for recruiting purposes. Crisis?? What a joke Ed.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 11, 2011 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Yes, of course Anderson could have done very little. As a new AD, that would have been the safest route, and the least criticized. Extend the contract of Ralph, and hope he stays in reasonable health. Fine, but not for five years--that would be too risky at Ralph's condition and age (ask any doctor). Hope that Ralph could find an offensive coordinator of some quality willing to come in for a couple years. Hope that recruiting can stay somewhat stable at the lower-mid-pack ACC level. Hope that attendance does not continue to decline too much.

If you don't like the word "crisis," try: "huge problem." When Franklin left, Anderson faced a huge problem. Keep the status quo and hope for the best, or move on to a new and better day. I'm glad for the decisiveness, although I understand that a few others would have lied to keep things as they are for a little while longer, maybe even as long as possible.

By the way: One person's opinion is not always correct while others' opinions are bs. That's not civil discourse. Of course it is all anonymous, so there's no restraint.

I'm thinking Spring Red-White Day!

Posted by: EdDC | February 11, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Shannon would be a terrific get. A great coach and mentor to young men who woould benefit greatly to mark their footsteps after him.

Posted by: chukw60 | February 11, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Barno, if this deal gets done are you gonna give KA credit?

Posted by: break20 | February 11, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm thinking Spring Red-White Day!

Posted by: EdDC | February 11, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I would agree. Something needed to be done when Frankllin walked. It's difficult to tell whether or not Anderson even gave Fridge a chance to propose the logistics of an extension or if Anderson just saw the Franklin departure as an end of an era. I would hope that Fridge offered a strategy to fill the OC position, and any other steps that would need to be taken to nurture the young rising talent on this team and turn them into an ACC/BCS contender. Personally, I don't think that happened, and Anderson went to Fridge and told him he was going to make the change because of the Franklin departure, and there was nothing that could be done about it. Anderson was being pushed by Plank to bring in his buddy Leach, and he had the $2 million in hand to tell Fridge to take a walk.

I do think Adnerson was pondering an extension, but the Military Bowl selection really ticked him off, and he did not want to get shafted by a bowl committee because of a coach that he didn't hire. I have very little respect for a guy who has difficulty speaking publicly, and is constantly talking out of both sides of his mouth. However, we're stuck with this guy, and hopefully the talent Ralph assembled under Edsall's tough direction can get this team to the heights that every Terps fan expects.

Posted by: Russtinator | February 11, 2011 10:03 AM | Report abuse

This would be a coup, let's hope they get it done.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 11, 2011 10:07 AM | Report abuse

The long term success of the football program was in question when Franklin left. Football requires much more stability than any other sport, and one or two more years of Friedgen, without a clear recruting plan or coordinator, would not have provided that stability. Edsall has been successful, but even more significantly, KA is bringing high profile coordinators on board. Assuming Shannon comes here, stability is firmly in place in College Park.

Posted by: Finnucane | February 11, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse

with shannon in place,with this staff is intac,brings a new energy that is much needed with coordinators from high profile programs,who have coached some very recognizable names in nfl. these are things recruits take note of when choosing where they will play in college.i am begininng to get excited for football season.we may end up looking back on this transition and feel silly we doubted KA only time will tell

Posted by: toddwhite2004 | February 11, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Anderson: I hate him!
Kevin Anderson: I love him!
Hate him!
Love him!

Wait ... what are we talking about? It is SO hard being a Terps fan.

But here we are, anyway. GO TERPS!!!!

(Yes, happy about the potential get. So should the incoming D recruits.)

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | February 11, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: EdDC | February 11, 2011 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Mrs. Anderson??? All the right moves??? Alienating entire alumni/fan base? Botching the Leach situation? Did Anderson orchestrate Don Brown quitting? He may get lucky with Shannon but the guy is a complete Buffoon!

Posted by: ebitda | February 11, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

See, me and EdDC actually like this possibility, so I would say the entire fan base is *not* alienated.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | February 11, 2011 11:44 AM | Report abuse

The decision Anderson made about Fridge can be debated back and forth but it was more about the way Anderson handled the whole situation and how that rubbed people the wrong way. He's said one thing and done the opposite. For a person who talks about integrity and everyone knows where they stand with him; he doesn't come off as that and needs to change his image fast and walk his talk.

Posted by: DiehardTerp | February 11, 2011 11:51 AM | Report abuse

good hire...if he takes the job...the new DC would have more wins over .500, as a HC, than the HC.

Posted by: Terp91 | February 11, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Get over it people. EdDC is right on target. You may hate the way KA handled Fridge's departure, but he is gone and there were serious issues related to giving him an extension.

I was a Leach guy but I am impressed with the job Edsall has done since he arrived. KA may not be a great/good public speaker, but he clearly can make decisions that aren't popular and he has put his legacy on achieving greatness. If we get Shannon that is a big upgrade. I'm all in.

Posted by: petecard | February 11, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

KA clearly made the right move cutting off Friegen ties. We would have definitely limped along with a jumbled staff for a couple of years if we hadn't moved on.

On a side note does Barno1 do anything but hang out on the Washington post website all day? He comments on every single article. Get a life dude!

Posted by: mf12284 | February 11, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Barno, if this deal gets done are you gonna give KA credit?

Posted by: break20 | February 11, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Credit for not botching/nixing the deal? Sure, he can have credit for that. But as for the actual hire itself, head coaches are the ones who decide who they want on their staff. So Edsall should get the real credit.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 11, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I'll believe this IF and WHEN I see it. Please Kevin Anderson......DONT mess this up! Pay the man!
If Shannon does happen to sign on, I hope he's not going to be a ONE and DONE. That is the risk here but it is well worth it.

Posted by: bernarddeane | February 11, 2011 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Any article written by Yanda, with Prisbell as a source must be read with scepticism when it concerns the Terps? All I know about Shannon is that he didn't do much as a head coach at Miami.

The reality of the situation is that Franklin who recruited many players is black. Most of the skilled players on any college team are black. Shannon is black. Psychology 101 tells us that people identify along cultural and ethnic lines.

Maryland has had trouble recruiting local black talent. That's no secret? We lose players to WVU, Illinois, and even New Mexico? For whatever reason Maryland doesn't seem to have the "pizazz" factor in the black community?

I hope that "IF" Shannon is hired he can bring some of the "pizazz" needed to keep some of the local talent home? Call me racist but I believe it's important to have a black coach who can identify with the black community and recruit!

Posted by: fatlabriley2 | February 11, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Anderson getting credit if they land Shannon? Let's hope this is Edsall's decision or else we have some other problems.

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | February 11, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

The infusing of The U with the Terps gives me a boner.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 11, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

The HC may want the hire, but it is up to the AD to get the deal done. The coach can want to hire all the good coaches he wants to, but if the AD doesn't want to pay the big bucks the good coaches can go elsewhere. It appears AD Anderson is willing to take a chance and pay good personnel to put together a good product that will pay dividends by bringing the fans back to Byrd.

Posted by: kaptainterp | February 11, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: petecard | February 11, 2011 12:10 PM

AMEN!

To Poop Dogg,

Gee. Thanks for that visual. I guess I won't have lunch now.

Posted by: larry31 | February 11, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Russtinator. KA made the tough decision, but utterly bungled the way it was handled. Not having a response prepared in advance for the media after Franklin's departure (during the period he and Fridge were negotiating) is inexcusable, bush league behavior that guaranteed the situation would unravel in the media as it did. Ralph's lobbying in the press for a bonus, contract extension, etc. no doubt didn't endear him to Anderson.

A recent FSU post on Maryland says what everyone is thinking: that the program knew in advance that Don Brown was leaving and withheld the information from commits. Another nail in the coffin of Loh's 'integrity' thing, if true.

Posted by: RITerp | February 11, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to RE for recruiting Shannon. Give him the credit for going after a good hire. KA probably has only budget veto authority, but doesn't deserve the credit IMO. Posted by: RITerp | February 11, 2011 1:59 PM |

That's mostly correct. The AD sets the overall tone and direction, the budget, and the head coach. We are now seeing decisions made within these broad AD parameters. RE deserves the credit, and RE should get the credit.

Posted by: EdDC | February 11, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse

IF they hire Shannon, I will be happy. Shannon was much like Fridge: an alumnus who got shafted even though he brought a winning season, which is better than some schools can expect. He is a big name guy with a proven track record and would be a big plus for recruits.

That is, of course, IF they hire him. Whether you agree that KA should have fired Fridge or not, we can all agree that he needs a lesson in PR. Especially after all the hype around Leach. Getting Shannon will make me like KA more. But until then, WE'LL BE WATCHING...

Posted by: ecglotfelty | February 11, 2011 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I really don't care who your AD hires, he's bound to screw it up. The way he handled the whole thing with Coach Friedgen was a disgrace, the worst PR move that Maryland could make. But yes, lets move on. I would make a suggestion to Ed/DC (being such a fan of the Terps that you are) treat a Coach that brought Maryland back from no where with a little respect. Writing about what you feel to be a "medical condition" is actually quite libelous. Yes, lets hope Kev keeps making all the right moves. What a joke.

Posted by: usetoluvterps | February 11, 2011 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm very excited at all the moves so far. Let's hope we can get some top recruits and go from there. Go Terps!

Posted by: shawnlsmonica | February 11, 2011 11:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure this is such a great thing. Shannon was DC and head coach at Miami. With all due respect to my alma mater, why would he be interested in the DC slot for the turtles? If he has any success, he'll be off to a head coaching slot at a smaller school or as DC at a bigger program.

Posted by: randysbailin | February 12, 2011 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Let me say first, I was a Ralph fan. I thought that he had done a good job.

His first three years were outstanding, is last seven were alright. Forget his bowl record, they won in Boise and DC. I blieve that we should aspire to better bowls than those (granted, we were hosed this year).

I know several guys on the team, and I can honestly say, I don't know that they all respected Ralph. They loved the staff, but Ralph MAY have been the week link. Anyone who has ever met James Franklin will tell you, this guy has it all. He's great at names, he immediately makes you feel like you have been friends for years. X's and O's, well, we'll see how Vandy does (He always defended the offensive results as saying "it's Ralph's offense, not mine")

While I was suprised by the rapidly changing situation, I believe that in the long run, it was the best move for the program. Ralph was NOT the long term solution to Maryland football at this point. Not witout Franklin, Banks and Salazo. And look at the numbers, losing Don Brown isn't the end of the world.

Edsall is a guy that we will come to love. Not the flashy name we expected, but a solid, very good coach. I believe he will be a long term solution to our program.

What amazes me is how many of you are unwilling to give this a chance to play out. Edsall takes UCONN to a BCS bowl, and we're writing off the 2011 season. I don't think so. There is potential for a great team here.

Go TERPS!

Posted by: jimbo561 | February 12, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: usetoluvterps | February 11, 2011 10:34 PM | Report abuse

EdDC makes absurd comments whenever he pops up on this blog every few months. He routinely advocates age and weight discrimination. I love how he has conveniently decided that once Friedgen turned 63 he passed some kind of threshold, and that all of as sudden Ralph's age and weight made it too risky to give a new contract. EdDC isn't a doctor, but he did stay at a Motel 6 once.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 12, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I like edsall. He actually has head coach experience, SUCCESSFUL head coach experience at a podunk school. Don't compare him to Vanderlinen who was an assistant before he came here.

James franklin could have been Vandy. Also, that Auburn assistant could have been Vandy. You don't understand that good assistants can be awful head coaches.

Personally, I think James Franklin would have been a better head coach than he playcaller. He was an awful playcaller.

Edsall is a meat and potatoes guy. Not lobster. He's basically a younger Fridge that can tie his own shoes and can see his pecker when he goes number 1.

I love Ralph. That KA is an empty suit out of his league.

Posted by: jdgreger@yahoo.com | February 12, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

@terpape how mad is barno going to be when you show up with the "Ralph Who?" sign

Shannon would be a great hire. Hope it goes through

Posted by: jpfterps | February 12, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure the ape was kidding. He was as big a Ralph guy as I was.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 12, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@RITerp - since when is "A recent FSU post" suddenly fact? These recruiting games go on ALL THE TIME. As somebody once said, you shouldn't believe everything that you read.

Posted by: LeeM9308 | February 12, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse