Posted at 8:58 PM ET, 02/23/2011

OPEN THREAD: Maryland vs. Florida State

By Matt Bonesteel

It's game time. Feel free to leave your thoughts on how the game is going in the comments.

TV: WDCA-20, WNUV-54.

Radio: WTEM-980.

By Matt Bonesteel  | February 23, 2011; 8:58 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Talkin' Terps: How many ACC teams will make the NCAA tournament?
Next: Maryland vs. Florida State: Empty seats for a strong defensive stand

Comments

Stoglin leads us in scoring again, 17 points, 5-9 w/ 3-4 from 3PT. Without him we are nothing. Sunday is colossal.

I think if we run the table, go 10-6 in the ACC with a signature win over UNC we are in, regardless of what happens in the tournament, though a win or two there would really cement us. Sunday is the key.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | February 23, 2011 11:20 PM | Report abuse

So for the Gary can't recruit bunch and the Kendall Marshall crowd, I would take Stoglin over that dude any day of the week. Plus we got Pe'Shon, as well. Come on.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | February 23, 2011 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dino.

Regards-

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 24, 2011 12:01 AM | Report abuse

HGR, I was thinking tonight that Dino may be better than Milbourne was last year. Where do you stand? I realize they do different things, but in a lot of ways they are asked to do the same things. I'm shocked by Dino's development, he is exactly what you look for out of a senior.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | February 24, 2011 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Dino has step up very nicely for his senior year. Did not think much of him before this season, but you could not ask more of him this season.

The Maryland student body was weak and lame with their showing tonight.

And the Terps do not get in with 10 ACC wins. They need a lot of help as their record versus the top 50 RPI is horrible. And a home win versus FSU without it's best player is not "signature" win. They have not beaten anyone all year.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | February 24, 2011 1:24 AM | Report abuse

dcinmd1 -- I notice a lot of people down on the ACC, but what I don't hear a lot of, especially around here, is the fact that the entire realm of college ball is down. To me if we can win our next 3 our resume will stack up with any of these other so-called "bubble teams". The bubble, as a whole, is WEAK SAUCE.

FSU is definitely not a signature win, it doesnt add much to the resume, other than that we had to have it, but UNC would be a relatively signature win.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | February 24, 2011 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Imjustlikemusiq - people might be down on the ACC, and I agree that there aren't as many standout teams, but if we're on the bubble with BC and VT, I'm not sure it matters that we beat UNC and went 10-6, hypothetically speaking. They look at head to head right? 2 losses to both those teams doesn't look so hot.

I'm optimistic too, but I think they are going to need to get far in the ACC tournament in order to make the NCAAs. And a win over BC and/or VT in the ACC tourney would go a long way.

They do seem to be improving quite a bit, so that's nice to see (50% on 3-pointers!). But if it doesn't culminate in a handful of pretty great performances here, then I don't see NCAAs happening.

Posted by: moo21 | February 24, 2011 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Imjustlike...I agree that Stoglin looks good, but just remember who he is doing this against, if he can do this against UNC then I think we all have a reason to get freakin excited. You can pick out one name like Kendall, but then I would say K Irving :)

Great point on Dino, he is stepping up much more the Milbourne ever did, wish Tucker and Bowie would do the same, but its good to see Dino take some pressure and open things up for Jordan when the double him.

Posted by: cm88 | February 24, 2011 9:44 AM | Report abuse