Posted at 9:05 AM ET, 02/ 1/2011

Report: Maryland Coach Edsall bans motor scooters

By Eric Prisbell

After a season in which two Maryland football players were injured in separate campus motor scooter accidents, new football Coach Randy Edsall has said players are no longer allowed to ride them around campus, according to Maryland’s student newspaper.

In October, Pete DeSouza, a redshirt freshman offensive tackle, broke both legs when he was operating a motor scooter and was hit by a car. He underwent nearly 12 hours of surgery the next day and is expected to make a full recovery.

In December, cornerback Dexter McDougle, who was a passenger on a scooter, was involved in a single-scooter accident. He broke his clavicle and was unable to play in the Military Bowl.

Former Coach Ralph Friedgen had said after McDougle was injured that the coach planned to write a letter to parents of players to urge them to forbid their sons from riding scooters. Friedgen had said he did not feel he had the authority to prohibit players from riding scooters.

By Eric Prisbell  | February 1, 2011; 9:05 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Krzyzewski: 'We weren't ready to play' vs. St. John's
Next: Morning links: Maryland-Duke is looming

Comments

Can he really do that? Not all the players have or can afford a car. I would imagine that the players schedules are rather tight and getting across campus in a timely fashion would be essential to keep to that schedule. Is he going to suspend them when they are late to practice or a team meeting? Edsall strikes me as rather arrogant and this just adds to my impression of him.

Posted by: majackmom | February 1, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Since two players were injured on scooters last year, and the school is paying for them to be there, then I see no reason why Edsall can't do this. If they want to avoid being late they can ride a regular bicycle. Or walk quickly. When I was on campus I had to walk from HHP to the English building all the way on the other side of campus in 10 minutes, and had little problem. I had to walk briskly, but it's not like these guys are walking from campus to DC.

Posted by: CYork1 | February 1, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Smart move! Players can walk around campus and still meet the time demands of both class and football. The study hall is in the same building as the locker room, weight room and dining hall. Having a car on campus only leads to parking tickets...

Posted by: hurtinterpfan | February 1, 2011 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I am glad this coach has some common sense and banned his players from riding scooters on campus! They are inherintly dangerous on a crowded campus in which their are numerous intersectons and a large busy traffic circle. Not to mention thousands of students in cars trying to get to class or are late for an exam!

I lived on campus for three years in Cumberland Hall which was a 20 minute walk from my furthest class on the hill. There is no reason why a 18-21 year old athelete can't do the same. Today's kids are on a whole lazy and spoiled. Time for a reality check!

I would support banning all scooters from campus! Sooner rather than later some kid is going to get killed.

Posted by: fatlabriley2 | February 1, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Fridge couldn't ban scooters because his obese butt used one. He had to use one to go from the 49yd line to the 50. He got better the past two years but it was pretty pathetic that he used a rascal during practice.

Also, arent these athletes in top shape? I had to walk from lot 4 to the van munching building my freshman year...to like 30 minutes.

Posted by: jdgreger@yahoo.com | February 1, 2011 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Van Munching was far. Good bathrooms, though.

Smart move by Edsall. If these guys need a lift across campus there are free buses running all day and night.

Posted by: caphillterp | February 1, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm not so sure about banning motor scooters in the land of the free. On the other hand, the football players in question are extremely well conditioned athletes. If they can't walk to class, who can?

Posted by: paul6554 | February 1, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

to show he cares, randy should order a set of hummer limos and bentleys to take players around campus / town, etc. They need to ride in style and get ready for the "next level."

Posted by: BeachDrifter | February 1, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Of course, he can do it. Scholarships are one year renewable. Use a scooter, lose the ship.

Posted by: skassel | February 1, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I attended Maryland when the scooter usage started, first by the basketball players and then the football players. Trust me, its not about getting to class on time, its about a few players saying "look at me, I'm an athlete and I'm too cool to walk". There is no reason anybody needs a motor to traverse walk paths to get to class and football dorms are located on South Campus which is closer to classes than students who may live in housing slightly off campus or on north campus which is closer to the athletic facilities than their classes. So, in short, this is not about getting to class on time. Good job, Randy. I see the disciplinarian is starting to take effect.

Posted by: raybell84 | February 1, 2011 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Good move. I support it. Bobby Ross's team walked campus and they did fine.

Posted by: steven09 | February 1, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

It's the right move. If you can't tell a few "I only had X minutes to walk from BLDG A to BLDG B all the way across campus, up and down the hills, and around construction" stories -- then what kind of a Maryland Terp are you?

Posted by: dlgood | February 1, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

A good decision, its time the athletic department stopped buying and letting players use these potential injury/death traps. Now MD football players can use the magical invention all other college students use to get around...their feet or if they need to get some place faster a traditional bike.

Posted by: jb7041986 | February 1, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jb7041986 | February 1, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jb7041986 | February 1, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Lol'ing at the person who thinks the players won't have enough time to get around campus without their scooters.

When I was on campus I had neither scooter or car and I was still always able to get to class on time (that is when I attended class).

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 1, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I realize not all the athletes own cars, but they can carpool. There ought to be reserved spaces for student-athletes all across campus at every building. If you can't pay them, you ought to be able to give them special privileges like that for the amount of money they bring in. Also, it will help them get to class on time.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2011 1:09 PM | Report abuse

majackmom - Get a Life..Edsall might seem arrogant to you, but you seem pretty stupid to the rest of the posters who seem to agree with the Coach. I personally wondered about the wisdom of riding scooters during the season when the 1st accident occured. Obviously with the 2nd accident the team didn't learn the lesson about scooter usage, so the Coach should step up and do what is best for the team and the University. Here's a novel approach..Why not have the players RUN to the next class and possibly be in better shape next season in the 4th quarter and avoid a couple of losses (Miami and Florida State). When I went to U of M back in the 70's the LAX players carried their sticks and ran all over campus and they were usually the BEST conditioned team on the field and usually won. Good Luck Randy..Please don't listen to the "time-out" whiners like majackmom!

Posted by: rdstr93 | February 1, 2011 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering why Ralph didn't ban em after the DeSouza accicent,and then the McDougle incident and i'm sayin "what are you waiting for Ralph someone to get killed" I think Edsall is smart for enforcing this rule.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 1, 2011 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Does the University actually allow anyone, athletes or otherwise, to ride scooters on campus?

Posted by: Cossackathon | February 1, 2011 9:41 PM | Report abuse